Versace Crystal Noir

on 9/19/2005 10:47:00 AM

I really like a lot of aspects of this scent, but in the long run, somehow, it fails. I can't even smell it on me unless I bury my nose in my arm. And it promises so much but then just doesn't deliver. I want it lusher, I want it richer, I want it more decadent.

I love the coconut and the gardenia together. It just isn't lush enough for me.

The search continues...

on 9/16/2005 2:33:00 PM

I guess I don't like gardenias... Beautiful bottle, wonderful color, the notes are an interesting blend and usually I like all of them - but I think the problem with this scent is the gardenia... There is also something minty-soapy about it that I don't like, and this makes it impossible for me to wear with my bodychemistry. Must be great on other women, smells good on my sweater, but definately not on my body. Too bad, I really loved the bottle....EDIT: I really like the scent, so I'll give it a go. Hopefully it won't turn sour on me afterall, but it does smell kinda orangy on me. It doesn't smell like anything else I own. (and I'm listed under fl/oriental and spicy) UPDATE: I'm so angry I could scream. I bought the EdT by mistake instead of the EdP, and that means that there is no staying power what so ever. It just doesn't last. I need to buy the bodylotion, so I can layer it. Maybe it will help. UPDATE: Tracked down a bottle of bodylotion - not easy to find - and now it's perfect. Upgrading it one lippie because I really love the scent now. UPDATE2007: Never in a billion years would I be able to predict the results of layering this fragrance with TBS coconut body butter - I get extatic compliments from everyone around me whether male or female everytime I do this.

on 8/5/2005 3:13:00 AM

I enjoyed the first 90 minutes of this--a fruity-green-creamy tropical floral with dark-sexy undertones--but the late drydown left a lot to be desired. The scent also gave me a sinus headache and some throat irritation as it dried down.

(According to Perfumeworld.net:

Olfactive description:Fruity Green Fruity(Cherry) Coconut Grapefruit Oriental Aldehydic Gardenia Tuberose Orange-blossom Ambery)

I smelled green fig and coconut--perhaps it's the cherry that I perceived as fig. There's a very sexy undertone, like a dark musk. I got more tuberose than gardenia--it's the salicylates (the minty aspect of tuberose and woods like cedar and sandalwood--think of wintergreen and you'll get the idea)--I usually love that minty aspect, but it was overwhelming here, and became even stronger in the drydown. The greenness, fruit, coconut, musky undertones--all gone in under two hours. The late drydown did take on an interesting pipe tobacco aspect, but that was dominated by the increasingly irritating mintiness.

on 7/10/2005 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I'm very difficult on perfumes. Something in my body chemistry turns white florals into bug spray and roses into some kind of sour juice. This is divine. Sweet, spicy, floral, deep. First I sprayed it on a paper tester strip and I too smelled the cedar/medicinal note so many reviewers have found. But I never smelled that on me. Beautiful, sultry. Yum.

on 5/30/2005 9:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I got a sample of this from Sephora and the first time I spritzed it on, it was so overpowering that I was sure that would be my last experience. Later that day I kept smelling this wonderful fragrance that just kept getting better as time went by. Now I love it--and now know to walk into a mist of the spray instead of spraying it directly on me ;) I typically love florals so this is a stretch for me. This is a complex fragrance that I can't get enough of!

on 5/12/2005 12:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

When I found out that this latest Versace perfume had notes of gardenia and amber, I had to try it. Unfortunately, I was not too impressed. It's simply...OK. The gardenia is lush and the amber provides warmth but this is not a perfume that smells particularly special to me.

on 3/3/2005 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Gardenias? Fruits? I don't smell either one of these "top notes" in this scent at all. I know what Gardenias smell like and this is not it. Bottom line, it smells like CEDAR to me and ON me. I purchased a candle from Yankee Candles called "Cedar and Nutmeg" (which gives me a headache) and I have to say this fragrance smells very similiar. It's heavy and over-powering and gave me a headache 2 hours into wearing it. I will be taking this back to Nordstroms.

on 2/25/2005 2:01:00 PM

This is a recent huge surprise for me--tested it reluctantly at a Nordstrom SA's insistence, and was mildly surprised. Then I took a sample home and promptly fell in love--this is a beautiful sexy, fresh floral gardenia, that I will be wearing a lot. Not a huge Versace fan myself, but this fragrance smells gorgeous on me, and the bottle is striking, as well.

on 2/14/2005 7:46:00 PM

I don't have it yet but I really want it!!! I smelled it on my coworker a couple weeks ago and have been obbsessed with it ever since. The first whiff I got was this coconut scent mixed with creamy floralness. And so as soon as I had the chance I rushed over to Nordstom and tried it for myself. It's not as coconutty on me but it's still creamy and rich, with amber floral notes. I guess it's the gardenia mixed w/ amber that does it. I't very feminine ands sophisticated and lasts a decent amount of time.

After smelling Versace's Blonde I swore never to come near Versace fragrances again, but was seduced by Crystal Noir's packaging and actually like the EDP a lot. It is very elegant, understadedly floral, really nice. Finally a Versace perfume I can wear.

Popular Fragrances