LUSH Catastrophe Cosmetic

3.9

(Calamine Powder is Zinc Oxide 'with a dash of Iron Oxide'-LUSH website) Ingredients: Calamine Powder, Talc, Irish Moss Gel (Chondrus crispus), Fresh Blueberries (Vaccinium myrtillus), Glycerine, Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena), Chamomile Oil (Anthemis nobilis), Sweet Orange Oil (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), *Limonene, Perfume, Colour 18050 * Occurs naturally in Essential Oils

on 3/22/2009 4:36:00 PM

I'm kind of mixed about this mask.... Smells amazing and I love the idea of how fresh it is. The main ingredient is calamine, which is very soothing, and takes the red away. I left it on for 10 minutes, and when I took it off, my skin looked very pore-less and clear. I also looked very WHITE, thanks to the calamine (I don't know if that's a good thing). I think this would work best right before a big event, because it minimizes pores and sucks all the gunk out of your skin.

on 3/14/2009 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I'd like to start by pointing out the blueberries in this mask are not just for "show" or aesthetics. Blueberries are powerful antioxidants, and in their raw fresh form very beneficial to our skin. They do not "stain" your skin pink, or blue.
This mask is choc full of antiseptic and antioxidant properties, and is especially good if you are switching over to a new skin routine.
The first time I used this I was in awe, literally. After I washed it off I stared at my face in the mirror, because my skin looked even-toned and there was absolutely NO red patches or irritation. I can't remember the last time my face looked like that.
I am very happy with the results of this. I have been using it every few days for the past week, and my skin looks and feels refreshed, smooth, softened and the redness is much less noticeable.
I highly recommend this to anyone who has irritated, winter-beaten, sensitive, acne-prone skin.
This also smells delicious compared to the other Lush masks.

on 3/6/2009 9:00:00 PM

I've never been much of a mask-type person (because they nearly always give me instant pimples).

At the Lush store, I sold the SA about my skin and what I was looking for and she raved about the Catastrophe mask.

Well, I tried this mask out last night and I LOVE it. I had one tiny pimple forming and when I rinsed the mask off, it caused it to come to the surface (gross, I know). But because of that, I woke up this morning and that pimple is about 90% gone!
My face felt a little bit tight after rinsing the mask off, but after a tiny smidge of moisturizer, my skin felt great! (and has continued feeling so soft and smooth today).

I'm VERY tempted to use it again tonight, but I know better - I'll wait a couple of days.

The only drawback is that these fresh face masks are only good for about 3 weeks and must be refrigerated. However, they are only 7.95 each and each small pot has enough mask in it to be used at least twice a week for the 3 weeks. Also, I lucked out and got my mask on the day it arrived, so I really have plenty of time to use it up.

LOOOOVE IT! :)

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here and say that I love this mask. :) Tonight was my second time using it and it has competely taken away all the redness in my face and left my skin baby soft. My only gripe is that it sometimes comes off in chunks, so it's messy, but definitely worth it. It smells delicious, not too blueberryish, and feels fantastic on my skin as soon as it comes out of the fridge. Ahhh... refreshing. I will be repurchasing & repurchasing & repurchasing...

on 3/4/2009 7:32:00 PM

I LOVE this mask! I realized that you need to apply Lush masks consecutively and that's how they work best. I start with Cupcake, follow with Cosmetic Warfare and finish with this one. It really calms and softens the skin for days on end. I doubt that the blueberries do anything in such a heavily clay laden environment and am pretty sure the pink hue comes not from blueberries but the synthetic colouring (read the ingredient list) but still, this is one of my favourite Lush products that I always repeat buy.

on 3/2/2009 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

supposed to be great for skin that needs some calming, or super sensitive types. I tried a bit, and it didnt seem to do much for my skin. But it was fun to have this kind of pinkish face. I remember the first batch of it...people were complaining that the blueberries were staining thier skin and leaving them with a pinkish hue for a day or so.

on 1/21/2009 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I loved the idea of applying blueberries on my skin, but the mask didn't really do anything, except give me pimples around my chin. I rarely break out. A catastrophe indeed. My face didn't even feel nice as it usually does after I use masks. This is my first lush mask, and I hope others are better!

on 10/27/2008 1:44:00 PM

I love this product! I bought it on a whim, as I do with most products at Lush. I was there on a bus trip, and they were nice enough to give me an ice pack to keep it cold all day! The smell is very nice, a flowery-berry smell. I don't know how much this product does in terms of calming breakouts, but it does leave my face feeling very soft and glowing. You have to scrub pretty hard to get all of it off, but it is worth it. Very fun and refreshing product!

on 10/10/2008 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Where it worked: This was a fantastic body mask. Put this on my chest, shoulders and back. Got rid of the pimples I get in these areas and kept them off.

Where it didn't work: My face. This was the only product I changed in my skin care and my pores haven't looked that congested in a long time. Without fail, the night after I used this mask, I would wind up with a few large zits. I am not chalking this up to my skin "detoxifying." In my mind, my skin should look better, not worse, after using a product for 3 weeks.

General comments: This mask is really highly scented. And not "fruity" either. More like a herbal/rose blend (think Mitsouko). I was never certain I had entirely rinsed if off - even after sticking my face in running warm water (in the shower) and gently scrubbing for 5 minutes. It always felt like I had a thin layer of clay left on my face. A swipe with toner revealed nothing. Weird.

My consensus - I might consider buying this again as a body mask. As something for my face - no way.

on 9/22/2008 12:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

didn't really do much for my skin. I guess I need something stronger. I am a big fan of the brazened honey mask from lush and was hoping that this mask would help with my acne scars. Didn't really see any results. The process of wearing this mask was enjoyable though. It was easy to spread and smelled very pleasant. This would be good for someone with few skin issues imo. I don't think I'll repurchase as I don't really see the need for it in my routine.