January 31, 2015 | 1915 users online

Masks - LUSH - Catastrophe Cosmetic

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2008 11:09:00 AM More reviews by Stephie2705

I personally have found that my skin does not like Lush skincare. However, put a fresh face mask on it, and my skin laps it up! I have quite dry/sensitive skin, which in the last few months has also been condemned to acne on my chin. I was recommended this by a Lush SA after explaining my strange skin type to her, and she handed me a pot of this. I was told that it would be comforting to my dry/sensitive skin because of the blueberries in there, which also has an antiseptic effect which would heal my blemishes. Sounded great! So I took my pot home, took my makeup off and left it on for the recommended time of around 10 mins. After washing off, my skin looked radiant and clearer and the redness of my acne had gone down considerably, which pleased my immensely! :-) However, this does only have a shelf life of 3 weeks, which means you really have to rush to use it up. I used this mask once every other day, which didn't irritate my skin and left it looking very healthy. It didn't do much for my acne, but sadly nothing does, but as far as a mask goes, this is by far the best i've tried!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2008 11:45:00 AM More reviews by bethch

I bought this the other day, around 6 for a nicely sized tub of mask. Which is great compared to my usual 23 for 75ml of biotherm hydra deto2x mask.
Packaging: The packaging is nice, a good size to fit in the fridge and I think the little pots are cute. I'm saving 5 pots to take back to lush in return for a new face mask :)
Smell: Mmmmm, smells edible
Colour: Beautiful violet/blue/grey colour with little peices of real blueberry (Which I don't think are that nessecary, I can't see what they do to be honest apart from make it look pretty)
Texture: Well my mask has a kind of blueberry juice ? on top of it, looked a bit seperated, but I just mixed that in and it made the texture more spreadable.
Useage: You only need a thin layer of this mask, I've used it 4 times so far and I think I'll get at least 3 times that amount of usages.

I have to say, my skin isn't in that bad condition, I very rarely get spots and my only real problem is a bit of milia underneath my cheeks, but thats under control now.
I put this on and left it for about 20 minutes the first time - result : Nice glowy smooth skin
The second time I used it, it only stayed on for about 10 minutes - result: same, nice glowy skin
The third time, I tried this on my mum (in her 40's) - result: smoother skin and tighter pores but she was left with about 3 giant yellow spots in the morning
Next time I used it, I got the same result, GIANT (well for me) yellow spots, about 3 of them. 1 of which, I couldn't resist popping, so now I have an EXTREMELY sore head :(
I don't know weather these spots are becauause I've used it too much, 3 times in about 3 days (Its new, I would never usually use a face mask that often, 1nce or 2wice a week at tops), weather you're actually supposed to get these giant spots, they've been brought out from under your skin? and it has really done it's job properly ( I should just wait for the spots to subside and then try it once a week) or weather my skin just doesn't like it :(
I WILL update this review, in about a week and see how I go on if I leave my skin for about a week (simple routine, cleanse & polish and instant boost skin tonic) then give it another go.
I hope I can like this product, TONS cheaper than my biotherm and it's REALLY fun to use, but I want a face mask not to give me spots!
Would I buy it again? It depends, at the moment, if these spots don;t go soon, no, but if the spots go and leave me with skin like after the first use, then yep.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2008 4:34:00 AM More reviews by manderly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not really sure how I feel about this mask. I went in looking at buying Love Lettuce or Crash Course, but the LUSH SA talked me into this one. I was having some skin issues, breaking out and that caused me to go nuts on trying to get rid of them, causing my whole face to be a red, irritated mess.

The reason I don't know how I should feel about this mask is that it soothed my skin (lovely putting it on right out of the fridge) but upon rinsing, I discovered it totally exfoliated my skin, but not in a good way! Looking in the mirror I could see a dead layer of skin all over my face. I could rub this off with my fingers. Now, ususally I would say "WOOHOO" to something like this, only the dead gobs of skin forced me to rub myself smooth with a towel, kind of un-doing any "soothing" effects.

Of course, now I can't stop touching my skin, because it is as smooth as a baby's butt. Nothing has ever exfoliated me so effortlessly. But my soft baby's butt face is red and kind of raw in spots. Pooh :( There, you understand my dilemma.

I put that I would buy again, but I'm going to try out the other LUSH mask offerings first.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2008 3:15:00 PM More reviews by a5n8g8e2l4a

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am giving this mask four stars as a spot treatment ONLY! using the mask all over my face leaves it too dry. However, as a redness reducer, this baby works wonders! I tend to get a lot of acne, and unfortunately, I am one of those people who like to pick at it. (And yes, I know I shouldn't, it just keeps happening, lol) This mask reduces the redness from my acne, and I sometimes use it all-over my face to reduce ruddiness, but afterwards I need to use tons of moisturizer, or else my skin produces an oil slick to compensate.

As a face mask I give this 3 stars and as a spot treatment I give it 4.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Kamicha

Catastrophe Cosmetic turned me a serious mask girl. I would not say that it does wonders (in my opinion no cosmetic product really does), but this mask soothes, purifies, moisturizes, calms and gives the skin very smooth, silky texture. Those whole blueberries can be a bit annoying, but on the other hand the mask has a lovely, very natural and quite mild scent.

If you don't want this mask to take all the moisture out of your skin, don't let it dry while it's on your face. On the other hand, drying zink powder and talc effectively pull out excess oil and impurities from skin, so you can apply thinner layer to your oily zones and intentionally let that area dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2008 6:22:00 PM More reviews by em1387

I absolutely love this mask! I've been a fan of bio-fresh for a while and this is probably the best i've tried. I have combination skin that gets irritated easily. This mask helps to calm down any redness or irritation that i get and does help with clarifying my oily areas. The scent is to die for, fruity and floral, that typical lush scent. Will keep buying this till i can get no more.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2008 10:56:00 PM More reviews by LauraPlum

I bought this on impulse when I walked by a LUSH shop after work one Friday. I liked the sound of a blueberry mask with detoxifying properties. It feels nice to apply and smells good too (but more floral, not fruity). I find that it does leave a thick residue, but I can scrub it off with a washcloth and a bit of facewash. Unfortunately this just isn't a 'wow' product for me. It didn't have any ill effects, but it didn't make my skin feel particularly soft or smooth afterwards either. However, I DID find that it did a noticeable job of reducing redness on any areas of my face that I had poked at before applying the mask (I know, I know). Anyone that has a problem with skin redness should definitely give this a try, and if you can afford to keep some of this mask sitting around (since it does expire) it's a good emergency cure for when you cave and pick your skin or get a red, angry pimple.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2008 5:50:00 PM More reviews by lynnelynne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love Catastrophe Cosmetic and am absolutely hooked. I have sensitive skin that can get very stressed out from time to time and CC never fails to help it.
I am a fan of Cupcake as well, but that can be drying wheras CC helps oily bits and moisturises dry bits.
I would never use anything other than fresh facemasks, and Catastrophe Cosmetic is top of the list every time (also tastes nice).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2007 4:18:00 PM More reviews by CWHF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a fan of the bio-fresh masks and my previous favorite was brazened honey which is a lovely exfoliative mask. Unfortunately, I think that mask was not designed for long term use and it turned on me giving me irritation. The LUSH SAs recommended this mask to calm my skin back down and it worked very well. It is a much more gentle exfoliation than Brazened Honey. I love the blueberry-ish smell (though it is a bit perfume-y it is very pleasant) and it spreads easily and as usual the tub gives a generous amount. I am using it 2 times a week (currently on my second pot) and my skin is returned to clarity with a bit of a glow. Only downside is you must rinse really well to get rid of the residue; careful if using it in the mornings you don't miss a patch. Definitely will continue to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2007 11:24:00 PM More reviews by fuzzzybunny

I've only been using this mask for a week. I think I really like it -- it tightens up my pores and it DOES look like they appear smaller.

The scent is wonderful.

Better than the other mask I've tried (Cupcake)