December 21, 2014 | 1879 users online

Masks - LUSH - Catastrophe Cosmetic

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2008 4:34:00 AM More reviews by manderly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not really sure how I feel about this mask. I went in looking at buying Love Lettuce or Crash Course, but the LUSH SA talked me into this one. I was having some skin issues, breaking out and that caused me to go nuts on trying to get rid of them, causing my whole face to be a red, irritated mess.

The reason I don't know how I should feel about this mask is that it soothed my skin (lovely putting it on right out of the fridge) but upon rinsing, I discovered it totally exfoliated my skin, but not in a good way! Looking in the mirror I could see a dead layer of skin all over my face. I could rub this off with my fingers. Now, ususally I would say "WOOHOO" to something like this, only the dead gobs of skin forced me to rub myself smooth with a towel, kind of un-doing any "soothing" effects.

Of course, now I can't stop touching my skin, because it is as smooth as a baby's butt. Nothing has ever exfoliated me so effortlessly. But my soft baby's butt face is red and kind of raw in spots. Pooh :( There, you understand my dilemma.

I put that I would buy again, but I'm going to try out the other LUSH mask offerings first.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2008 3:15:00 PM More reviews by a5n8g8e2l4a

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am giving this mask four stars as a spot treatment ONLY! using the mask all over my face leaves it too dry. However, as a redness reducer, this baby works wonders! I tend to get a lot of acne, and unfortunately, I am one of those people who like to pick at it. (And yes, I know I shouldn't, it just keeps happening, lol) This mask reduces the redness from my acne, and I sometimes use it all-over my face to reduce ruddiness, but afterwards I need to use tons of moisturizer, or else my skin produces an oil slick to compensate.

As a face mask I give this 3 stars and as a spot treatment I give it 4.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Kamicha

Catastrophe Cosmetic turned me a serious mask girl. I would not say that it does wonders (in my opinion no cosmetic product really does), but this mask soothes, purifies, moisturizes, calms and gives the skin very smooth, silky texture. Those whole blueberries can be a bit annoying, but on the other hand the mask has a lovely, very natural and quite mild scent.

If you don't want this mask to take all the moisture out of your skin, don't let it dry while it's on your face. On the other hand, drying zink powder and talc effectively pull out excess oil and impurities from skin, so you can apply thinner layer to your oily zones and intentionally let that area dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2008 6:22:00 PM More reviews by em1387

I absolutely love this mask! I've been a fan of bio-fresh for a while and this is probably the best i've tried. I have combination skin that gets irritated easily. This mask helps to calm down any redness or irritation that i get and does help with clarifying my oily areas. The scent is to die for, fruity and floral, that typical lush scent. Will keep buying this till i can get no more.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2008 10:56:00 PM More reviews by LauraPlum

I bought this on impulse when I walked by a LUSH shop after work one Friday. I liked the sound of a blueberry mask with detoxifying properties. It feels nice to apply and smells good too (but more floral, not fruity). I find that it does leave a thick residue, but I can scrub it off with a washcloth and a bit of facewash. Unfortunately this just isn't a 'wow' product for me. It didn't have any ill effects, but it didn't make my skin feel particularly soft or smooth afterwards either. However, I DID find that it did a noticeable job of reducing redness on any areas of my face that I had poked at before applying the mask (I know, I know). Anyone that has a problem with skin redness should definitely give this a try, and if you can afford to keep some of this mask sitting around (since it does expire) it's a good emergency cure for when you cave and pick your skin or get a red, angry pimple.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2008 5:50:00 PM More reviews by lynnelynne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love Catastrophe Cosmetic and am absolutely hooked. I have sensitive skin that can get very stressed out from time to time and CC never fails to help it.
I am a fan of Cupcake as well, but that can be drying wheras CC helps oily bits and moisturises dry bits.
I would never use anything other than fresh facemasks, and Catastrophe Cosmetic is top of the list every time (also tastes nice).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2007 4:18:00 PM More reviews by CWHF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a fan of the bio-fresh masks and my previous favorite was brazened honey which is a lovely exfoliative mask. Unfortunately, I think that mask was not designed for long term use and it turned on me giving me irritation. The LUSH SAs recommended this mask to calm my skin back down and it worked very well. It is a much more gentle exfoliation than Brazened Honey. I love the blueberry-ish smell (though it is a bit perfume-y it is very pleasant) and it spreads easily and as usual the tub gives a generous amount. I am using it 2 times a week (currently on my second pot) and my skin is returned to clarity with a bit of a glow. Only downside is you must rinse really well to get rid of the residue; careful if using it in the mornings you don't miss a patch. Definitely will continue to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2007 11:24:00 PM More reviews by fuzzzybunny

I've only been using this mask for a week. I think I really like it -- it tightens up my pores and it DOES look like they appear smaller.

The scent is wonderful.

Better than the other mask I've tried (Cupcake)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2007 3:37:00 PM More reviews by aeresu

One of the more expensive Lush masks and also one of the thinner/runny ones. This made it easier to spread onto my face but it was hard to layer it up. Towards the expiry date, it did thicken a little but not overly so and I managed to get about six masks out of one pot. I *loved* the smell of this facemask, but I may be biased since I love blueberries. I didn't really get any breakouts whilst I was using this facemask but the mask did not leave my skin smooth as Lush masks usually do.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2007 4:53:00 PM More reviews by smurfkitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Catastrophe Cosmetic is the second LUSH mask that I've tried.. the first was Cupcake which I absolutely loved. Well, I have to admit that I love this one, too. I was looking for a mask that would soothe my stressed out red and blotchy skin and this mask certainly delivered. After one use, the redness on my fair and sensitive skin had almost completely vanished! Catastrophe Cosmetic has a very different texture than Cupcake; it's a bit runny, less thick, and easier to spread on. Fun to use, makes your face blue! Unfortunately, I didn't think it smelled very much like blueberries.. it had more of a perfume-y scent.. but it was pleasant and not too strong. Like some of the other reviewers, I also found that it left some residue on my face, but I just made sure to do a really thorough job of rinsing with lots and lots of water. Sometimes after using it, I found that my skin was a bit dry in some places, so I always moisturized after drying my face. The one thing I really didn't like about Catastrophe Cosmetic were the big chunks of blueberries in it.. seemed to me like they weren't there to actually do anything for your skin and only in the mask for decoration... Anyways - other than those few complaints, I really enjoyed using this mask and it worked extremely well at soothing my skin and taking away redness. Will definitely repurchase the next time my stress is showing on my face.