LUSH Catastrophe Cosmetic

3.9

(Calamine Powder is Zinc Oxide 'with a dash of Iron Oxide'-LUSH website) Ingredients: Calamine Powder, Talc, Irish Moss Gel (Chondrus crispus), Fresh Blueberries (Vaccinium myrtillus), Glycerine, Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena), Chamomile Oil (Anthemis nobilis), Sweet Orange Oil (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), *Limonene, Perfume, Colour 18050 * Occurs naturally in Essential Oils

on 5/25/2009 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

A very soothing mask that is perfect for sensitive skin. My face felt like it had a residue after rinsing, but upon drying, my skin felt soft. Redness was subdued from the calamine and I didn't break out. It smelled nice too and had bits of blueberries in it.

on 5/18/2009 7:41:00 PM

Rosacea Girls, listen up!

THIS. IS. IT. No, seriously. I don't use anything prescription, I use this. Actually, this stuff works so well I barely even need it any more! I keep a pot on hand at almost all times, because my triggers are spicy foods (which I love) wine (which I love) heat and air conditioning (which I need) and stress.

SO. Here's what happened the first time I used it. I cried. Yeah, you heard me. I am lame, and I cried. Because my skin hadn't been not-red in years, and I had forgotten that it could be. My husband* went "WOAH. Damn baby". Because he hadn't seen me not red....well, ever. It can be a tad drying, true. And if you don't rinse well you may see a chalky cast, but that comes off. And it's WORTH it. If they dc this I will truly perish.
I keep my rosacea under control, my combo skin on the normal side and my blackheads at bay using my own personal regimen of LUSH products, but this is the go-to, emergency product for sure. I even rec'd it to an MUAer who got burned by a chemical peel the day of a big event and it worked for her just like it does for me.

ETA: It's fresh and has to be refrigerated, so unfortunately you can only get it in-store.

Please, if you have rosacea, try this. Use it daily for a few days if you don't have the immediate results like I did, and you will see. If I am wrong, you're out $8 bucks. But if I am right.....

Update, 1/2015: I still use and LOVE this mask. I do occasionally go back to other LUSH products (Herbalism if I've been abusive to my skin, Breath of Fresh Air if I am traveling) but for the most part I have found other things that work, or I'm just trying new things like we all do. =) But Catastrophe Cosmetic is still my go-to for flare-ups and I still haven't found anything that zaps the red out like it does!

on 4/25/2009 12:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Great stuff. Doesn't break my face out. I have an oily Tzone which is prone to break out occassionally, but this stuff didn't bother it at all. Smells kinda like blueberry yogurt. Makes my skin feel hydrated, soft, and supple. It does feel like it's lingering on your skin for the first couple minutes after rinsing though. But I can deal for beautiful skin :)

on 3/28/2009 12:25:00 AM

I recieved this mask free when I spent over 40 at LUSH. So the price is null for me...

I love this mask! I have tried several and by far this is the only one, for me, that does exactly what it promises. I use this once or twice a week and it leaves my skin clean, pores clean and smooth. I have oily, acne prone skin and this keeps it in check! My only complaint is that is crumbles off as it dries..not really a problem just a side note!

on 3/22/2009 4:36:00 PM

I'm kind of mixed about this mask.... Smells amazing and I love the idea of how fresh it is. The main ingredient is calamine, which is very soothing, and takes the red away. I left it on for 10 minutes, and when I took it off, my skin looked very pore-less and clear. I also looked very WHITE, thanks to the calamine (I don't know if that's a good thing). I think this would work best right before a big event, because it minimizes pores and sucks all the gunk out of your skin.

on 3/14/2009 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I'd like to start by pointing out the blueberries in this mask are not just for "show" or aesthetics. Blueberries are powerful antioxidants, and in their raw fresh form very beneficial to our skin. They do not "stain" your skin pink, or blue.
This mask is choc full of antiseptic and antioxidant properties, and is especially good if you are switching over to a new skin routine.
The first time I used this I was in awe, literally. After I washed it off I stared at my face in the mirror, because my skin looked even-toned and there was absolutely NO red patches or irritation. I can't remember the last time my face looked like that.
I am very happy with the results of this. I have been using it every few days for the past week, and my skin looks and feels refreshed, smooth, softened and the redness is much less noticeable.
I highly recommend this to anyone who has irritated, winter-beaten, sensitive, acne-prone skin.
This also smells delicious compared to the other Lush masks.

on 3/6/2009 9:00:00 PM

I've never been much of a mask-type person (because they nearly always give me instant pimples).

At the Lush store, I sold the SA about my skin and what I was looking for and she raved about the Catastrophe mask.

Well, I tried this mask out last night and I LOVE it. I had one tiny pimple forming and when I rinsed the mask off, it caused it to come to the surface (gross, I know). But because of that, I woke up this morning and that pimple is about 90% gone!
My face felt a little bit tight after rinsing the mask off, but after a tiny smidge of moisturizer, my skin felt great! (and has continued feeling so soft and smooth today).

I'm VERY tempted to use it again tonight, but I know better - I'll wait a couple of days.

The only drawback is that these fresh face masks are only good for about 3 weeks and must be refrigerated. However, they are only 7.95 each and each small pot has enough mask in it to be used at least twice a week for the 3 weeks. Also, I lucked out and got my mask on the day it arrived, so I really have plenty of time to use it up.

LOOOOVE IT! :)

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here and say that I love this mask. :) Tonight was my second time using it and it has competely taken away all the redness in my face and left my skin baby soft. My only gripe is that it sometimes comes off in chunks, so it's messy, but definitely worth it. It smells delicious, not too blueberryish, and feels fantastic on my skin as soon as it comes out of the fridge. Ahhh... refreshing. I will be repurchasing & repurchasing & repurchasing...

on 3/4/2009 7:32:00 PM

I LOVE this mask! I realized that you need to apply Lush masks consecutively and that's how they work best. I start with Cupcake, follow with Cosmetic Warfare and finish with this one. It really calms and softens the skin for days on end. I doubt that the blueberries do anything in such a heavily clay laden environment and am pretty sure the pink hue comes not from blueberries but the synthetic colouring (read the ingredient list) but still, this is one of my favourite Lush products that I always repeat buy.

on 3/2/2009 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

supposed to be great for skin that needs some calming, or super sensitive types. I tried a bit, and it didnt seem to do much for my skin. But it was fun to have this kind of pinkish face. I remember the first batch of it...people were complaining that the blueberries were staining thier skin and leaving them with a pinkish hue for a day or so.