Estee Lauder Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

New as of :)12/2012:Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodium dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)] Original: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 1.00% INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA PURIFICATA) PURIFIED, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE,TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TRIBEHENIN, PEG/PPG-20/20 DIMETHICONE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, METHICONE, LAURETH-7, XANTHAN GUM, ALUMINA, BHT, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, CHLOROXYLENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, [ /-(MAY CONTAIN)IRON OXIDES(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), MICA, TITANI DIOXIDE (CI 77891)]

on 10/25/2012 8:46:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Oh the beloved Estee Lauder Double Wear...The notorious long-lasting foundation that every women adores. Where do I begin?

I've used DW for almost 5 years. When I initially bought this foundation, my main issues were covering up some hyperpigmentation, long-lasting formula and one that wouldn't turn me into an oil slick after a few hours. Guess what? This little baby addressed all the abovementioned things. And it performed beautifully. I never used a foundation quite like this. I was amazed and astonished that something like this existed for us!

Well, fast forward a few years, I noticed some things about my face. I did notice some consistant clogged pores on my cheeks, a rough texture (almost ruddy) and it dried my face alittle. I didn't like seeing my face like this. Yes, this baby is long lasting therefore you have to use some super magic makeup remover or cleansing oil. Even after using MAC Cleanse Off Oil, I noticed that my face was still rough in texture and dry. And like some reviewers here, this foundation can look cakey and age you in appearance. One thing I should mention is that this foundation did not cause breakouts for me. YAY! Also, I remember walking in NYC heat and when I got to work, I barely made a dent with this foundation. My face was still matte. I stopped using this foundation as my daily go-to. I will save this for special occasions and nights out. Again, I don't want to bash this foundation because I think it does a good job.

Here's my breakdown:

PROS:

Oil-Free
Long-Lasting
Few Ingredients
Does not Transfer
Sweat-Proof
Good Color Selections
Matte Finish
SPF 10
Does not feel heavy once it's set
Easily Available at all dept. stores

CONS:

No Pump (USE MAC's PUMP. It fits)
Difficult to Remove
Dries out Skin
Looks Cakey
Can cause white cast in flash photography
Dries fast so better buff onto skin quick

If you're going for the au natural look, don't look for it here. This is a full covergae foundation that has great potential to camouflage acne, acne scars, hyperpigmentation and all imperfections. I really don't dislike this foundation but I do feel like daily wear would not be good for the skin. I once saw my face in natural daylight and I was like, OMG! It looks like I have a ton of makeup. Didn't like that.

For women looking for a full-coverage, matte and long lasting foundation, this one is for you. It works despite the cons mentioned. I would recommend using a moisturizer beneath this foundation because it can show dry flakes.

For Reference: I am an NC 30/35. In the winter, I use SAND and in the hotter months with a tan, I use TAWNY.
Retails for about $32-35US.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Everyone raves about this foundation but I can't say I agree with the hype! I think ultimately I have the wrong skin type for this foundation. My skin type is dry/normal and when I first applied this I thought oooh lovely satin soft, I was rubbing it into my skin... couple of minutes later my face is a like a cement mask! That's with moisturizer & primer underneath! Despite this, it doesn't seem to settle into any lines so that's a plus. It certainly hides imperfections and makes your skin look smooth. I imagine this foundation is a God send for people with oily skin. But my word it dries tough! No danger of transfer. I tried putting my creme blush on top of it, I had to scrape it on and it simply could not blend it into my skin on top of the foundation! On my hands even the foundation dried like paint!!

I used the lightest shade and am one of those fair skinned women who has trouble finding a true match.. I would say the shade is close but too yellowy like so many brands! Annoying.

This is a good foundation I think but I would not recommend this to people with any sort of dryness in their skin, this really is a high coverage, heavy and drying foundation that is best suited for problem skin on the oily/imperfections end of the scale.

on 10/24/2012 10:48:00 PM

My skin would best be described as Combination, (with the classic oily t-zone and dry cheeks), sensitive and dehydrated.

I find this foundation to be pretty good. I mean, it has good coverage, a good finish and is long lasting. It can be a little drying on my cheeks, and not particularly oil-controlling on my t-zone...so I take off one point for that.

In regards to the longevity of this foundation, It is one of the best I have tried (and I've tried alot!). I do find that instead of oxidising and turning a darker shade, it tends to look lighter at the end of the day (almost ghostly). Although I do have pale skin, when I put it on in the morning it's a nice, healthy colour but that does change. Can look cakey due to having to apply powder throughout the day to control oil, and I find that the foundation often seperates on my nose by the end of the day.

The Packaging is terrible! The screw cap lid doesn't seem to fully close properly and if the bottle happens to fall over, foundation runs all down the side of the bottle and it turns into a mess :-(

I have used 2 bottles of this foundation, and at $50 AUD a pop, they're not cheap, although a good price for a High-end foundation.

Still looking for my HG foundation, but this is pretty good for now. As summer is approaching, I'll need to add a darker foundation with it to create the right colour, although as my current bottle is almost empy, I may just purchase a new colour match.

Not bad EL, not bad!

on 10/22/2012 11:46:00 PM

This a full coverage, long wearing make up. I have oily skin, so I use this with a loose base powder, a must! Goes on nicely with a make up brush,and comes in several colors.

on 10/18/2012 6:01:00 AM

Love it! It covers so well. Any skin problem it will hide it immediately. Best foundation ever.

on 10/16/2012 2:45:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Finally! This is really The Foundation! It provides excellent coverage without looking cakey at all, shades are great (I am a perfect match to 3W1 Tawny, being a Mac NW25/30 and Intensity 3.0 in the DW Light), very easy to work with a brush, no need to set it (but if I manage to get a sample of the EL Lucidity Translucent Loose Powder I'll try it with that and update this review), no breakouts and lasting 12 hours.
I went to buy the DW Light and the lady suggested I tried this one too and gave me a sample. Now I half regret having bought the DW Light as this provides a far better coverage. Anyway, will be my next buy after the light version is finished!

on 10/14/2012 1:49:00 PM

Best foundation i have tried!! i love it! Coverage is excellent. Doesnt feel heavy at all. leaves skin flawless with a natural finish. Absolutely worth the money its around 35 dollars.
UPDATE: Something changed about this foundation, it now gets greasy on me by the end of the day. bottle doesnt say it has spf anymore.Have been really disappointed with this foundation as it doesnt leave the same results as it once used to. Also, the color Sand Beige has too much yellow in it.. Defenitely , wont purchase this again:/

on 10/12/2012 7:19:00 AM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Why I keep returning to this product:
- it is *almost* transfer resistant
- lasting power is excellent
- does not feel heavy
- coverage is even, no blotchiness, no redness

If those three qualities are what is most important for you in a foundation, then you will not get a better match.

If you want something dewy, illuminating, or sheer, this is not it.

Common complaints:
- difficult to remove, thus leading to clogged pores and breakouts. It removes easily with an oil cleanser, then some toner.
- it oxidises. I agree that it used to, however this year I haven't noticed any oxidisation.
- ghost face when used with night time flash photography. Again, I agree that it definitely used to do this, but in the last two years it has photographed beautifully. If in doubt, bronze up!
- crappy/weird shades that do not match properly. Hooray for the new shades, maybe they are getting closer to correcting this.

on 10/10/2012 6:39:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

RUBBISH!!!! Does not control my oily skin at all, dries in FAR TOO QUICK and after about an hour my face looks as if i've dipped it in a chip pan. I also didn't like how the so called "expert" in House Of Fraser recommended the shade Fresco for me which ended up being far too dark for my pale skin. Her being an Estee Lauder advisor, I tought she'd know what she was talking about, so I took her advice and purchased it. It'll be the last time I ever take anyone's advice on my make up! All in all, a terrible foundation with an unjustifiable price tag. £27!!! Shocking. Not worth it at all. I wouldn't use this if they were giving it away for free lol.

on 10/8/2012 2:44:00 PM

This is my favourite foundation of all time, the only reasons i haven't given it 5 lippies is because 1. It has no pump and thats really annoying, especially when you're getting to the bottom of the (very dinky) bottle and 2. It is now £30.00 in the U.K. which, although it lasts for about 3/4 months seems bloody extortionate to me.

Anyway, reasons why i love this.I have a very pale, pallid uneven skin tone, (i got colour matched by the S.A. and i wear Ecru) and when i wear this it evens everything out completley and i look like i have the face of a china doll (actual quote from the mother there.. impressive). It covers everything, shadows under eyes, spots, dark patches. LOVE IT.

If you like a lighter look it's probably not for you, although in all of my photos i wear it and i don't think i look TOO made up!! The only time i didn't use it as my first choice was when i was on holiday in the states as i found it far, far too heavy for the florida sun.
No matter how expensive this gets i think i'll keep buying it, it just makes my skin look so flawless. I adore it!