April 18, 2014 | 942 users online

Loose Powders - Ben Nye - Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2008 11:20:00 PM More reviews by Aque

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this stuff. Its pretty much a dupe of the Leclerc Banane powder at a fraction of the price, about $6 for a 1.5 oz (42 g) shaker bottle of beautifully fine, silky powder that goes on like a dream. I wear this "neat" in the summer when I've got a tan or when I want to warm up my skin tone (this powder is a tiny bit too yellow for me in the winter); I've also used this to custom correct other loose powders that needed a little more yellow added to them, mixed it with Ben Nye's translucent Neutral Set & its perfect on its own to set concealer or color correctors. On the skin its one of the nicest finishing powders I've ever found, gives a lovely non-shimmery, polished look, works well with the yellow tones in my skin & is very good at neutralizing any redness I have. If this color (banana) doesn't work for your skin tone, do check out the other color options - the Visage Luxury powder is wonderful stuff.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2008 11:23:00 PM More reviews by Tamira

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

I do not believe I never reviewed this. This became a staple for me YEARS ago! It looks amazing on my complexion (and I think it would for anyone who has rich golden hued skin). It balances out any extra red/pink in my foundation (even the closest match has it's flaws) and makes me look airbrushed and healthy and glow-y and not pale or yellow at all! Love this stuff! It cot next to nothing... I forgot how much I loved this stuff until I saw it reviewed here. I'll have to dig it ut and revisit it with my newer foundations!

And I finally found a store that carries Ben Nye foundations in all textures and colors, so I'm off to play and I will review those shortly! ;)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2008 4:40:00 PM More reviews by hmag7386

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I probably never would've picked this up had it not been for the reviews here, because you can't exactly pick this up in a drugstore or department store. But it's worth the trip at any rate. Ben Nye knows how to make a high quality powder at a great price. I dabbed my powder brush in this and kind of held my breath as I put it on since I was a bit scared. However, I was really happy to find that I couldn't even see it on my face after just brushing it on, it blended that well. It has great mattifying qualities, which is exactly what I need now that I'm in a stable moisturizing/sunscreen routine. It doesn't dry out my skin and stays put as soon as I put it on. It lasts and lasts and lasts. I'm curious to see if the translucent powder performs the same way, but either way, I'll be keeping this one around for awhile. It does come packaged in a bottle that makes me go rawr, but I bought one of those $4 empty powder pots from Sephora and dumped this in, and use a kabuki brush to apply it. Works great! It's also fragrance free, which I'm real happy about because my previous loose powder was overpowering. I'm not sure how this would look on pink undertones so I can't speak for it... if nothing else I would try this same powder in the translucent. You can't beat the price at $10 for a whole bottle. What a dream! The only thing I wouldn't recommend this for is for setting undereye concealer, particularly Ben Nye concealer which is already thick and too cakey for under the eyes. This powder will only intensify it, and the yellow color will definitely show up. But since I just use this to reduce shine on my face, I love it.

UPDATE: After using this powder more thoroughly and repeatedly, I think the yellow color may be just a little too much for my fair complexion, so one lippie off. I've begun putting my makeup on in natural lighting as well and I can clearly see the subtle cast it puts on my skin. That said, that's the only problem I have with this- it's still a great mattifier and a great deal. It does help my skin color a bit because I do have yellow undertones, but all over my face it's too much. I decided to try the Cameo Visage Poudre and that is a much better color choice. Completely invisible color and still has the superior mattifying qualities. This Cameo color is almost identical to Ben Nye's Fair Translucent Powder as well, only the Fair is slightly more pigmented. Both of them work perfect, and I'm sticking with them!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2008 9:48:00 PM More reviews by kreativexm

I just bought this 2 days ago, and omg i love it. Moisturize, prime, foundation application and then apply this afterwards-the results are amazing. It's pretty messy at first, but I would definately buy this again. For me and my oily skin...this works for the matte flawless look I have always wanted. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2008 12:55:00 AM More reviews by mljohnson123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Perfect finely milled powder to apply over my creme foundation. Removes shine without adding any color or looking ashy. Works on a variety of ethnicities with yellow undertones; LLL to MMM. Huge shaker bottle for $6. Will always be in my kit. (DDD NW45ish, HIP820, or Black Opal 'Nutmeg')

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 4:37:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I was trying to satisfy a lemming for T. LeClerc's Banane powder and managed to swap for this Ben Nye stuff. As others have noted, this powder comes packaged in a plastic shaker jar. It's not the most convenient thing, but since Ben Nye is a line marketed towards professional makeup artists, I can't really complain.

The powder itself is not nearly as fine and silky as Laura Mercier's or even as fine as Bobbi Brown's. It has a sort of starchy, grainy texture, which is probably attributable to the cornstarch in it. Banana is indeed very yellow, but it's not as insane as some have made it out to be. It's just as yellow as Bobbi Brown's yellow powder, but may look more intense since the texture is not as fine.

I personally do not like this powder as much as my LM loose powder, which does not change the color of my foundation (LM's Tinted Moisturizer in Nude). I found that while the Ben Nye powder did look rather yellow when I first brushed it on (using Prescriptive's bronzer brush--an oversized skunk brush), but after about twenty or so minutes, it mixed with my skin's natural oils and contrived to make me look vaguely peach. I don't like even the slightest hint of orange on my skin, since I am somewhat light with yellow undertones and any orange will contrast too much with my neck. Maybe this would work better if I wore it alone, but my skin is too crappy-looking right now to do without some sort of base. I'll hang onto my jar for that sweet, far-off day when my complexion is good enough to free me from the tyranny of foundation, though, and update this review.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 1:58:00 PM More reviews by heyannette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

DESCRIPTION OF ME ~ Very warm, yellowy complexion with a tendency to get redness on my cheeks and around my nose, mid 30s. MAC C2/NC20 Large clog prone pores, oily skin which is also sensitive, blackhead prone with occasional simple acne.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF PRODUCT ~ Setting powder 3 oz for under $10.

PACKAGING ~ Bottle with a shaker on top, I sprinkle some on my palm. A little fussy but I find all powder applicators fussy.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE ~ Fine, light powder.

APPLICATION ~ I use a powder brush, Jane Iredale or Quo or a Jane Iredale flocked sponge.

FINISH ~ Matte and texture free because the powder is so finely milled.

SHADE ~ The Banana Visage shade and it's absolutely perfect for me. My complexion is really yellow to start with and this powder matches perfectly, I love it. It makes me look so fresh and over top of my Vichy Corrective Liquid or Cover FX creme founations, my skin looks almost flawless.

COVERAGE ~ Light coverage as you would expect with a setting powder but not translucent. Perfect, imo.

STAYING POWER ~ Very mattifying, lasts all day.

SCENT ~ Unscented, yay!

OVERALL ~ Fabulous product, the price is amazing, I bought mine from theatricalmakeupsupplies.com for $9.50 for 3 ounces, can't go wrong with that price. I can use a lot of this, I need it, layers and layers and it will not ever feel heavy. It's truly a revolutionary product (I know, a little over the top?) because it does not cake and feels nice on my skin. Nothing is worse than a cakey, heavy feeling face. It really is more like a high end $60 an ounce type product for a much more reasonable price. I heart Ben Nye.

Thank you Seclusae2 giving me permission to use your great reviewing format.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2007 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Kianaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using this product almost forever...wonderful coverage and staying power over foundations. The best way to use it(with any loose powder)is sparingly in layers until desired coverage. I love this because of the yellow which compliments my skintone(Hawaiian mixed race)..as you may know makeup for yellow undertones can be very tricky, but this is wonderful. Does not have that powdered mask feel or look. Packaging is awkward at times, but workable. Overall..Wonderfullll!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2007 11:22:00 PM More reviews by pordanil

While the shaker bottle is irritating, this is a FANTASTIC product. You get a ton of product for what you pay, and the powder is hands down the finest powder I've ever come across... the color does wonders to light up my Asian complexion. (yes, I know it's yellow)

My only issue? I've encountered a few small pimples since I've started using it, so I think I might just use it exclusively to set the under eye area.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2007 10:42:00 AM More reviews by rydellpink

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I like Banana Visage. I think the little shaker is cute. I typically layer a little of this over my regular face powder. I haven't found it to be "big bird" yellow. I think it works well at softening my complexion. I will be buying again!