October 20, 2014 | 1981 users online

Loose Powders - Ben Nye - Bella Luxury Powder in Banana

(formerly known as Visage Poudre Luxury Powder)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/11/2012 6:55:00 PM More reviews by EncantadaX2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

While I love Ben Nye Neutralizers, Concealers and Foundations (really *really* love) this powder left a lot to be desire. I do not know if is something I do, like applying it somehow that does not give justice to the product or the shade, but it just makes me look yellow. I know I should have suspected this by reading the name of the product but I also use Mellow Yellow concealer and that doesn't give me a yellow finish. The pros of this is that it's a lot of product for your $, and a little bit goes a long way. The cons: It makes me look yellow and also I realized that my blush oxidize a lot when using this (It started to make them kind of purplish, even the peachy ones) Anyway, I'm going back to what I use before.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2012 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Amsi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great translucent powder for everyday use! I have brown/tan skin (NC42 for reference) and white powders can look a bit ashy on me.
...
This powder isn't heavy, so it doesn't look cake-y. It offers a natural satin finish, rather than a flat matte look. If you're looking for something heavy, this might not be for you, but you definitely can build it up by adding another layer.
...
This product is also great value for money! You get 1.5 ounces (42 grams) of product for a very reasonable price. Almost all powders (both loose and compact) only have about 0.3 ounces or about 10 grams of product, including "large" jars. Check the back of your powders and see for yourself!
...
As for the cons...the packaging is a bit disappointing. The lid is about the size of a quarter and is way too small to swirl your brush into. I ended up buying an empty sifter jar to transfer a little bit of the product into at a time. Way less messy this way.
...
Another con is that this tends to irritate my eyes a little, especially the inner corners. I don't know if it's because I wear contacts. It's annoying, but I still use the product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2012 6:18:00 AM More reviews by Siham89

For reference i'm an NC20, NC 25 in mac foundation.

I bought two of the big bottles of the banana powder and 1 of the neutral set. I've never liked powder on top of my foundation, NEVER.
I hate the white cast, the powdery look (especially when setting with spray, I would have a lot of splotches) or the way it changed the color of my foundation.. I hated it!
I then tried the Ben nye loose powders and I absolutely LOVE it!
And this is coming from somebody who absolutely hates powder on the face! I've tried many different ones being a make up artist and searching for the "perfect" loose/translucent powder.

I use the ben nye loose/translucent powders in my make up kit for clients.. I never thought I'd find a powder that I would love tIhis much..
My concealer would always crease and set into fine lines and I would end up taking it off because it grosses me out..

Last night I was at a wedding, I applied my foundation and concealer at 5 o'clock in the midday and my foundation and concealer looked almost exactly the same as when I applied it at 2 o'clock midnight.. My concealer didn't even crease! It settled into one line or so but OMG was I amazed..

When I first used the powder I packed on a lot and directly put it on my face. My whole face was yellow! Then I tried again and soaked the puff into the powder, tap'ed the excess off on the back off my hand and then pressed and rolled it into the skin.. My face looked flawless!
I used the dampened sponge and applied the neutral set under my eyes to set the concealer. I loved the finish and my concealer wasn't able to move even if it would want to..

The powder is sooo finely mild that it works awesome with a dampened sponge. I've put a thick layer of concealer under my eyes (triangle shape) with a thick concealer (coastal scents 10 piece camouflage concealer palette (HG) ) and set it with this powder.. I LOVE BEN NYE LOOSE POWDERS! I'll purchase them all!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2012 8:26:00 PM More reviews by karenzeller8

I bought the banana color for this powder and it sets your makeup and has a very smooth fine finish. Very reasonably priced, and gives you a healthy afterglow. Matches those with yellow undertones incredibly well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2012 8:51:00 AM More reviews by dawndie23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Super quality powder

I was surprised that it's so difficult to find reviews on this powder. It's very finely milled and absorbs oil better than any other powder I've used. I have this in about 5 different shades....it may seem like over-kill but I'll explain how I use it to correct off-color (i.e. cheap) foundations.

I use the Neutral Set (Colorless Face Powder) to set all of my makeup and powders. This stuff absorbs in the skin and has no chalky residue. This powder is my go to oil blaster in the summer.

I use the Banana Viasge Powder in a similiar manner as the Neutral Set, but this one gives me face a touch of warmth. The color absorbs beautifully and doesn't look 'yellow', it just soaks up the oils, sets my concealer/foundation and adds a warm glow. I love this stuff!

I also have Coco-Tan, Chestnut and Sienna. These three are brown shades with different undertones. Chestnut is pretty much an exact match to my skintone. Coco-Tan has a slight orange undertone and Sienna has a more reddish undertone. Chestnut is in between.

While I can wear each of these powders over my foundations and still look great, I find that I can use them to counteract any foundations that have funky undertones when I apply them. For example, L'Oreal True Match foundations leave a weird greyish undertone on me....even when I set it with my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish or other powders. But when I set it with my Ben Nye powder in Sienna, it balances out the chalky grey tones and leaves me with a nice finish.

I can't say enough about these powders. I love them. You get 1.75 oz/49 gm. for pennies compared to Smashbox or MAC products. I only paid $3.75 for the tinted powders and $4.25 for the Neutral and Banana Visage powders!!! These can be purchased at most theatrical stage shops/costume shops or you can order online. I found a fantastic website for a wonderful company in Wisconsin that carries a wide variety of Ben Nye Products.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2012 1:47:00 PM More reviews by maggiejeanjones

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this from a theatre supply store during one of my special effects makeup hauls (at the recomendation of someone on the MU board). I have oily skin, and I always set with a translucent powder (typically MAC P&P translucent, which can give a white-ish cast). I must say that I am VERY impressed with this stuff! The powder has just a very slight yellow tint to it, which makes your face "glow" and prevents the white-ish cast that can happen with other translucent powders. This powder is very finely milled and dosen't look cakey, and is super easy to blend. I usually use this after I have contoured by face, and this just seamlessly blends everything together. You get a lot of powder for a small amount of money (I paid $11 for a 3oz bottle). The packaging is a shaker top with a small lid, so like others below it can be somewhat messy. This is a much better product from the MAC P&P Translucent, and a great value. Will definately repurchase again :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2011 11:39:00 PM More reviews by xAutumnBabyx

I purchased this after using the Ben Nye Banana Visage powder (which I love slightly apply over MAC's Studio Fix Powder for a finished look) ..... I have always loved translucent powders under the eyes and slightly all over the face (applied with a fluffy powder brush) they brighten perfectly and look amazing in photo's- without leaving a white cast ( I take pictures to make sure!) Prior to this, I was using MAC's Prep + Prime powder- it lasted me 3 years, but I wanted to try something new. This is so much more better then MAC's Translucent powder. Firstly, this seems much more softer and blendable- and the result is an airbrushed look. I remember after I took photo's after using this the first time, and my skin looked like it was photoshopped :-) I am so happy I purchased this, its a great product- and its also reasonably priced for the huge amount you get. The only con is the packaging- its slightly messy, but nothing bothersome.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2011 10:24:00 PM More reviews by xAutumnBabyx

There are only two setting powders out there that I love, and that have been my Holy Grails for quite some time- MAC Studio Fix Powder, and Ben Nye's Banana Visage Powder. I absoultely adore Studio Fix for many reasons- and I like to use the Banana Visage over my MAC Studio Fix Powder, it kind of makes Studio Fix look a little more like skin, and gives me this really nice glow. I only need a teeny, tiny amount of this to see any coverage- and the outcome is what is the perfect matte, flawless finish. I just set my powders with MAC Fix + Spray and my foundation is set for a full day. My favorite thing about the Banana Visage powder is the yellow undertone. I'm NC20 with a slight yellow tone- and this is the only other powder (other then Studio Fix) that doesn't have a gray undertone to it. All these powders are a fantastic price- I purchase mine for only $6.99 which is fabulous for the amount of powder that is in the package. I plan to purchase the Neutral Set for under my eyes.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2011 3:28:00 PM More reviews by missprettybrown

I love these powders... I have the coco tan, the neutral set colorless face powder and the banana visage poudre.... All great to me and the prices are very reasonable. We had to have these items for a makeup artist class i took in Atlanta.... These are great products for anyone and any makeup artist kit.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2011 2:59:00 PM More reviews by unlitbutonfire

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this! I purchased from the only costume store that carries this in Honolulu. I got the loose powder ($8.99)and fortunately I was able to get a hold of a banana pudre compacte $10.99) as well! I use this powder to set my Graftobian hd cream foundation. I use the Graftobian Warm Palette #2 and I am about a NC42 in MAC.
This the best setting powder I have used so far; does not look ashy or change the color of my foundation. Just use a velour puff and press & roll to set my foundation. My skin looks fabulous pratically all day; only need to retouch with the compact powder once in the evening! I have very sensitive combo skin and slightly oily around the nose area.
No breakouts...........so far!