September 16, 2014 | 1890 users online

Skincare - Face - Avene - Thermal Water

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2011 7:09:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I really like this product! I started to use it after I read a certain actress with stunning skin used it because her face was sensitive, and I have been in love since! I use it as toner to take off any remaining makeup, and I mist it on when my skin is irritated or dry. It calms my skin and makes it feel nice and moist, such a great simple product!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/26/2011 8:49:00 PM More reviews by rite2coz

I really want to like this spray, as I see so much great reviews, and even the beauty adviser at Duane Reade would recommend this over La Roche Posay and Vichy. So i've bought the carry on size, and the large size to use. I started testing out the carry on size at the same time i have irritation from some skin products that I've used. My face continued to be red after using it for a few day (i use it as toner as wash). And i just thought that my redness has to do with the irritation that I'm trying to recover from. But then i realized i started to have a little burning feeling everytime right away i spray it to my face. So I went back to DR and returned the large size which i never even use, and I've switched to La Roche Posay, I feel this one calms my face well, everytime i feel itching on my face, I spray it, then it calms me right away, and after using it for few days, my redness has reduced.......YES!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2011 7:22:00 AM More reviews by Paintspotting

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Must Have! Can't survive without!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2011 3:53:00 AM More reviews by elsong1211

I used the Vichy thermal spa water spray first, and liked it lots, and bought the Avene version of it later, I think they are both very comparable and similar. I like how they both make my skin feel so much softer and smoother. I think I prefer the Vichy spray nozzle better because it is more controllable, this Avene one is more all over the place. But that aside, I will be making lots of re-purchases because I think its a great product that makes my skin feel great.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2011 1:55:00 AM More reviews by ex0ticbarbie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product at Shopper's Drug Mart after it had been recommended to me by a friend. My friend has amazing skin and swears that this stuff helps clear up any blemishes that she has. She said that her skin is super sensitive and reacts to everything so I decided to give this a try considering my skin is freakishly sensitive as well. I also have acne prone skin even though I'm a young adult and I have a lot of scarring. In the past few months, I have started to develop acne that is really dark and is leaving dark acne scars (I always had actual holes as acne scars and never dark spots). I have been using this thermal water for about 3 days now. The first day I used it, it seemed to take away a bit of the redness I had on my chin. I have a super dark acne spot on my chin that looks horrible and it has faded considerably, even though it is still very visible. I don't know if this product is actually doing something for my skin or not because I don't really see any improvements. Lately, my skin has been looking better than usual but right after I started using this product, I developed a huge pimple on my forehead. I am hoping this product is not the cause, but I guess I will have to wait and see. I really hope this products helps improve my crazy skin. It feels really refreshing to apply. It cost $16.50 + tax at Shopper's Drug Mart for a 150 mL spray can. I will edit this post after some time passes because I will be able to tell whether this product is working for me or not.

EDIT: This does not do anything at all for my skin. It really is a waste of money because I have the exact same effect from just using water. It did not break me out or cause any negative side effects, but it did not improve my skin in any way.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2011 12:22:00 PM More reviews by inasaf

This stuff might be good for traveling. I live in a place with soft water (less than 3 ppm) already, so it doesn't help when I'm at home. And if I moved to somewhere else permanently, I'd just get a water softener. So... for traveling it might be worth looking into.

85% of US households have hard water, which might account for the high rating for Avene thermal water on MUA.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2011 11:23:00 AM More reviews by luxferi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

EDIT 15th February 2013: I still use and love this. It's now a staple, and I buy in bulk whenever there's a sale. I think it contributed so much to keep my skin stable and calm, even helping me when I started using Avene Triacneal. I'm now able to use Avene Triacneal daily and considering that I have mild rosacea, this is pretty damn awesome. Also, if I ever have any random itchy spot (dermatitis?) on my body, a spritz of this usually calms it right down.

EDIT to add: OMG guys... I love this so much now. I've been using this for just a week plus and my skin has calmed down so much, since... since.... since.... I don't remember! I actually used blush for the first time today, it's that great. Oh and last night I put too much Avene Eluage Eye Contour cream and my left eye was just swollen and this calmed it down overnight. SUPERB product. I can't live without this now, along with Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser for oily, blemish prone sensitive skin and Avene Eluage. I'm going to write reviews for those soon. The entire Avene range is amazing.

ORIGINAL review:
First of all, I want to send all my love and gratitude to tetrakis, without whom I would never know about this wonderful product. Please check out her notepad on MUA on retinol/retinoid information and her regime, which includes this wonder bottle.

This stuff is pretty incredible. I don't think of it as "just water", even though it is, because "just water" cannot reduce my mild rosacea redness on my cheeks. Recently I lost my head a little and treated my skin harshly. I've always had sensitive skin, and was completely ignorant about the fact that my skin had been suffering from rosacea all this while. According to Baumann's Skin Type Solution, I scored 38.5, which is crazy high. On "normal days" my skin is always pink, and it's always been that way for as long as I can remember until I thought that's how my skin *should* be like. Then I used a wrong kind of foundation and a whole slew of red bumps, redness and pimples began to plague me for months. This is the flare up. I looked up my symptoms and it turns out I have rosacea after all! So I thought, oh crap - I have rosacea! What now? Everything I've ever used in my regime - OUT. I had to start over.

This Avene Thermal Spring Water SINGLE HANDEDLY (yes you read that right) calmed down my redness. In one night. Some redness are still there, and today is only day 2 and yes, this review is premature but I just can't help it! The effect is somewhat short lived though but I hope with continued use it will slowly diminish the redness over time.

I read that rosacean skin should avoid SLS in cleanser, and I'm so impressed with the thermal water so I bought its Avene Cleanance Soap-less Gel Cleanser too. It might be pricy, but really... a drop will do! I always pre-cleanse with DHC Oil cleanser first though so makeup removal is not an issue for me. I love that one as well! I actually bought this thermal water together with Eluage because since this is my first foray into the world of retinol, I thought this would help counter the irritation caused by retinol, and it does to some degree.

At first I couldn't figure out how to use it. I didn't shake it though because the instruction never said anything about shaking it, and you're not supposed to. It says to just mist over face, wait a few seconds then pat dry. The first time, I followed one reviewer's method of misting until almost dripping wet, then let it air dry. Wow! My skin was so tight, it hurt. Okay, so I misted it, waited a few seconds, then wiped away with a soft tissue. Uh... no effect. The third time, I misted it lightly, wait a few seconds, then using clean hands, pat it gently into my skin until dry. THAT worked for me! The redness instantly diminished. Hope that helps.

For those who are interested, for moisturizer I switched from Sukin moisturizer to just plain ol' jojoba oil.

Love this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2011 8:00:00 PM More reviews by russsian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

After using the VICHY and the Uriage thermal water sprays,I have finally decided to try the Avene one.For people with oily/combination skin I'd definitely recommend the first ones as they contain more salt.For people with dry/sensitive skin, Avene will work wonders.I use it this way - I spray it on my face, wait 1 min (my face being still wet) and I apply moisturizer on top.This seals the water in there and in the morning my skin is glowing!I have the biggest bottle, but will always repurchase this.I have also fixed my makeup with it and it works great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2011 3:50:00 AM More reviews by Annushka

this is very expensive for the amount that you get; i paid $10 at the discount chemist for the littlest bottle. its about $12.50 at priceline or elsewhere.
yes it is just water but the things it does to your face is amazing! i have pretty nice skin already but it gets abit tight and dry after ive dried my face. this puts back alot of moisture and softens your skin. my face just loves it! i use it after ive cleansed then i serum then i moisturise. i make sure that my face is dry, sometimes i like to softly pat my face and rub my fingers on my face to kind of speed it up.
i havent used it as a setting spray for make up as i normally drench my face in this stuff. i dont think that normal water will do a good job at fixing make up for the day, theres nothing in there to FIX it.
i will repurchase this just for the feeling it gives me. i want to put this in the fridge! and im looking forward to use this at the beach :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by evillittleme

My dermatologist recommended I buy this after I had a C02 laser done . It felt great on my skin after the treatment and helped ease the 'burning' sensation, which was great because I wasn't supposed to touch my face afterwards.

Now, I use it to set my makeup and also as a moisture-booster throughout the day, especially when my skin is really dry.

This product is seriously worth its weight in gold. It's amazing! It has a really great moisturising effect. I often have skin so dry it flakes off underneath my makeup - this product improves that out of sight.

I keep it in my handbag with me and just spray it on the problem areas throughout the day.

Love love love.