Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

3.6

6% Titanium dioxide 3% Zinc Oxide Inactive Ingredients: Water, cyclopentasiloxane, octldodecyl neopentanoate, butylene glycol, plyglyceryl-4 isostearate, dimethicone crosspolymer, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, dimethicone, silica, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, stearic acid, aluminum hydroxide, sodium dehydroacetate, phytantriol, hexyl laurate, triethoxycaprylysilane, nylon-12, sodium chloride, kaolin, tocopherol, tetrahexyldecyl ascorbate, polyvinylalcohol crosspolymer, magnesium chloride, potassium chloride, zinc chloride, lysine, sodium hyaluronte, hexylene glycol, caprylyl glycol, phenoxyethanol. potassium sorbate, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, mica Made in USA

on 4/27/2014 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Ah, how tedious the search for the perfect foundation is. So far, this one's my HG for these reasons:

PROS
- Doesn't look cakey, even without applying primer first
- Perfect tone for me (although this is a very personal reason)
- Blends in majestically with my bronzer, concealer, etc.
- Actually long-lasting

I can't tell you how perfect this tone (Tan) is for me. It looks closest to my natural skin tone and even gives me a VERY SUBTLE looking tanned appearance.

CONs
- Feels a little heavy

The only con, aside from the price, is that it felt heavy enough to clog my pores. I already have a bit of acne cosmetica, so for a month or two I switched to the 4-in-1 Pressed Mineral Foundation by Pür Minerals, as I was told by the Ulta consultant that it was more lightweight than this one. It just wasn't the same. Tone was off and didn't settle into my skin as well.

Oh well. The struggle of choosing between having clean, clear skin or looking temporarily nice when I leave my house continues.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this foundation! perfect for acne prone skin! no parabens or harsh chemicals :)
I bought the brush that is suggested for this foundation. I have realized that i tend to use to much product with that brush. Has anyone tried applying it with their hands? It works very well as odd as that sounds. Overall this is an amazing foundation. I would say it is medium coverage. It has more pink undertones than yellow so watch out for that one! It is amazing for oily skin. It controls the oils and does not accentuate dry patches either!

on 4/22/2014 12:25:00 AM

This may just be my new HG foundation..
I have been using this for a month now, I had just switched from my old foundation which was making me break out horribly, and thank goodness I found this! So the texture is like a thick mousse which feels really lovely and airy on the skin. I'd never tried a foundation with a mousse consistency before so this was a pleasant surprise for me. I apply it with a damp beauty blender and it looks beautiful. The coverage is medium. I have huge pores and acne- prone skin with hyper pigmentation scars and this does a great job of camouflaging without covering too much and making me look fake and cakey. I have oily skin and this lasts all day. Lasts about 9 hours, 12 hours on a good day. Definitely recommend this to anyone with oily skin looking for decent coverage.

on 4/19/2014 12:05:00 PM

It was such a cakey disaster when i applied with my regular flat-top foundation brush (bare minerals precise angle) i hated it. It looked like i has put on a mask and this made me really sad because the formula and shade were perfect for me. Anyways i tried again with a damp sponge and it was perfect! Not as full a coverage as with a brush but that also meant not cakey. I had it on for literally 12 hours and it lasted me the whole day with no touch-ups! Just a little blotting with tissue after 10 hours. Btw im usually nw25 and i have this in the shade light sand. Fair skin with yellow undertones.

on 4/15/2014 3:19:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really liked how well it went on; it was nice and smooth and it did last all day. You know how I could tell? Because even the lightest shade was still too dark for me. I was actually waiting for it to start rubbing off. Had to return, very disappointing.

on 4/15/2014 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I purchased in an attempt to find something that is heavier coverage than clinique acne/sensitive foundation.
I was told it is great for both sensitive and oily skin and they WEREN'T LYING!
It is rare to find something that my skin doesnt react to, so i do love this product BUT
1-it is VERY thick. more full cvg than i originally wanted
2- i think it is VERY expensive.

that being said, it has lasted a few months so far. The tube however is difficult to get the last bit of product out of it so a lot goes to waste.

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This foundation is kind of thick, but it applies on my face nicely. It has build-able coverage (remember to let the 1st layer settle in) and still looks quite natural for the second layer. I can still somewhat see my blemishes, but it evens out everything. I would say that it lasts for 12 hours, but if you have oily skin like mine, the foundation could come off whenever you touch your face. When that happens, I usually use oil blotting papers or tissues to lightly pat my face to remove most of the oils. Since I have oily skin, it doesn't dry out my face, and it also doesn't make me break out, which is great because my skin is acne-prone. I've used this for more than a year now, and I wouldn't mind buying another bottle after the current one runs out, but it is pricey. I also noticed recently is that it is oxidizing/turning slightly orange. This didn't happen before, but now I'm on a search for a new foundation that doesn't oxidize as much, otherwise you can tell the difference between the shade of my face from my neck.

TL;DR: Thick foundation, better applied with clean fingers than a brush, build-able coverage that looks pretty natural for the 2nd layer, lasts for 12 hours, doesn't dry out skin or contribute to break outs, started to somewhat oxidize after months of using it.

on 4/7/2014 2:39:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I wanted to try a more organic foundation... I regret it. I ended up breaking out horribly in less than a week! This looked good upon first application at Ulta...but overall this is cakey and mask like. It also is not long wearing....I look patchy by the end of the day. It is a mousse like consistency too..supposed to be light weight but it feels heavy to me. The only plus is the packaging is easy for travel and it is 1.7oz where other brands offer 1.0 oz. I would not recommend this product. I'm returning it. Now I have to fix my skin that was blemish free prior to trying this.

on 4/7/2014 1:44:00 AM

I have fair skin So i liked the fact that this foundation actually came in nice fair skin colors. I also liked the fact that it did not oxidize over time . It had a nice feel to it and the coverage was good . however for myself it dried out my skin, mainly my forehead. SO all in all it is a good foundation however i would recommend trying it out first to see if it works for your skin . i have combination skin (oily in the summer dry in the winter , o the joy) I would have loved to keep using it but it just dried out my skin to much. great texture I liked the clay feeling .
hope this helps those who are looking to purchasing this product.

on 4/6/2014 10:27:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This is the best foundation I have ever used and I've used many HE brands - Dior Forever (which is pretty good), Chanel Perfection Lumiere (so so, no staying power), YSL Éclat (sinks into my pores), Guerlain Perure Lumiere (also not bad). Where the Tarte foundation stands out is it's texture, consistency and the beautiful finish it leaves.

As I am older (fair with normal skin veering to combination t-zone) and live in the tropics, I pile on a lot of products before foundation - toner, skin lightener, 2 types of serum, moisturiser, SPF and primer - and I thus have quite a sticky sometimes greasy and slippery surface before my foundation goes on and any foundation has to contend with all these other products that I have applied ahead of it. No easy task, and through much trial and error, I know that liquidy and compact (solid) foundations don't work as well, owing to the slippery/sticky base that I already have on. So it's not the fault of the other brands that many have given me average results because I know I have not given them an easy base to work with/blend into.

Enter this Tarte foundation. Its texture is more creamy and thicker than liquid so there is less slip, and when buffed into my skin with a stippling brush, it absorbs and blends so well with all my other creams and SPF that it gives me such a flawless and seamless canvas that is matte yet glowy and not shiny and does not cake or emphasise lines at all. Many other good foundations used to leave me looking greasy because of the other products I have on but this one has such good synergy with everything else underneath, it is quite unbelievable. I don't even have to powder much, I just lightly dust with the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder. I live in a humid country as well, but the foundation doesn't melt off or disappear. If it helps, I use a light water based SPF and the Hourglass mineral veil primer before applying the foundation.

All in, I am very impressed and can't believe how beautifully it works, and compared to other HE brands, the price is totally worth it. To be honest, I will gladly pay double the price, given the fantastic results. This is really a keeper, and I couldn't be happier.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom

Review ? Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation by BeautyLoDown