August 2, 2014 | 1649 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by paintedtoes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm very pleased with this set. I use the foundation brush to pack on eye shadow on the lid, and on it's side and point to create a blurred contour crease. My favorite though is the contour brush. I have a small round head with non-existant cheekbones, and the small size and tapered shape allows me to use blush as dark (I'm NW 20 with dark brown hair) as Nars Sin without looking like a clown.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2012 6:24:00 PM More reviews by nicedreams000

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love love love the buffing brush. I know this set comes with the pointed foundation brush, but it's crap compared to how the buffing brush applies my foundation. I go between using the RT buffing brush and my Sigma flat top kabuki. The Sigma brush has more bristles, but I like how the RT brush is domed. I think that makes it easier to get in the the crevices.

I also like the contour brush, but I use it for highlighting or applying powder rather than contouring. My fav brush for contouring is still my MAC109.

I gave a "4" as an overall rating since the other brushes in this set were average in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2012 4:27:00 AM More reviews by NikitaRose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

The core collection is probably the best Real Techniques set, it includes four brushes that can be used for many different purposes and a case.
I simply adore the ''contour brush'', it is small, has a round and slightly pointed head which makes it perfect for contouring. I don't think i have used any other brush for contouring cheekbones since I got this. Although the two are totally different in shape it reminds me (in size and function) of e.l.f.'s blush brush.
The detailer brush is perfect for concealing, it is similar to e.l.f.'s one dollar concealer brush but this one doesn't fall apart as easily. It could also be used as a lip brush which I haven't tried yet.
I quite like the buffing brush as well but I don't really find a use for it, I prefer other brushes for foundation (although I mostly apply it with fingers) and I don't use powder. I still reach for it when the brushes I use for these purposes are dirty and so far I have not had any problems with it.
I don't use the pointed foundation brush because I don't like (flat) foundation brushes in general but I can tell it's better quality than the e.l.f. and Ecotools ones.
The set comes with a case that can be also used as a stand so I guess that makes it great for traveling but at home I don't really use it.

Needless to say all brushes are very well made, none of them has shed a single hair in my three months of daily use. They are synthetic so you can use them with cream products as well (I apply Chanel Bronze Universal with the contour brush etc. ). They are really really really soft and nicely shaped plus they are easy to wash. I have experienced some problems with getting MAC Studio finish concealer off the concealer brush but that's probably because I have a crappy brush cleaner.
Anyway, you might not be 100% satisfied with this set if you are used to MAC brushes (or even more expensive ones) but most of my brush collection consists of e.l.f. and Ecotools so this is fantastic quality for the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2012 6:21:00 PM More reviews by eirenne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

The Core Collection includes four beautiful brushes, the Detailer Brush, the Pointed Foundation brush, the Buffing Brush and the Contouring Brush.

Firstly I'm going to talk about the Detailer Brush which is a small brush intended for concealer. But it can also be used as a lip brush. I tend to use it as a lip brush because I think it's better to use my finger to conceal. As a lip brush it is great, it has good shape, softness and size.

Secondly, The Pointed Foundation Brush isn't what I expected of it, I felt a little let down. It's to small for my opinion. I've got a quite large face and it didn't suit me to do my foundation. But it is soft and I like the shape, I sometimes use it for my concealer around my nose because it's angled to get to those areas. So, this brush might suit someone else who might have a smaller face, with more details.

The Buffing Brush is my favorite in this collection! It's so soft and has the perfect shape. The bristles don't break because it just has softer hairs in the end. I absolutely love it. I use it to apply my powder. It can also be used with a mineral foundation.

The Contouring Brush is a lot like the Buffing Brush when you touch it, but the shape is different. It's slimmer and a bit longer. I think it's great to contour my face with it because the shape is perfect for it.

I hope this is helpful if you're interested in buying those brushes :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2012 12:47:00 PM More reviews by ManhattanMermaid

As a pro makeup artist, I have three sets of these! I seriously can't say enough good things about these brushes! The cost of around $18 for four high quality brushes is an awesome deal!

Buffing brush: I use this for applying liquid/cream foundation, powder foundation, blush, and setting powder. This creates a beautifully blended, seamless finish. The bristles are firm enough to move the product around, yet have enough give to be very gentle on the skin. So soft, feels like a dream.

Foundation brush: This is the flat brush. I find this too small for applying foundation, and personally like using buffer brushes for applying foundation anyway. What this IS great for is applying under eye concealer! Perfect size and shape to get right in there. Plus it's super soft and gentle on that sensitive area.

Contour brush: I LOVE this brush! I use it for both highlighting and contouring, as the small shape fits right into the hollows of the cheek, and the tip of the brush is perfect for hitting the high points of the face.

Detailer brush: This is my least favorite of the set, just because I find less use for it then the rest of the brushes in the set. But it IS a great brush. This can be used for concealing small areas like blemishes, eye shadow (particularly highlighting the inner corner of the eye), lip color, etc... I particularly like this bruush for blending out the concealer highlighter I put under my brows and down my nose. Like the rest of the brushes in the set, it is very soft.

I LOVE the fact that the ferrules are so high that they come up to about a quarter to the end of the brush. This makes washing them much easier, as you don't have to worry so much about getting water in the top of the ferrule, thus ruining you brush (you still have to keep the bristles pointed down under the stream of water though).

The flat shape of the end of the brushes doesn't really bother me on a personal level, but on a professional level, I'd rather have a tapered, less bulky brush handle so that I can fit more brushes into my belt. These take up a LOT of room. I feel no need to set them standing upright in any situation.

I find no use for the case the brushes came in. At home I put my brushes in a cup, and my pro brushes are kept in my belt. Even for travelling, I would use something else that holds ALL the brushes I want to take with me. The little elastic holders on the case are too tight to really fit the flat ends of the brushes into. I find this holder an unneeded part of the set. Maybe if it had a better design, I could see it as a useful tool.

All in all, these are EXCELLENT brushes, and I highly recommend them for personal and professional use.

EDIT: 5/9/13
These stand the test of time for professional use. They have withstood a multitude of makeup applications and rigorous washing's without excessive shedding or falling apart! I HIGHLY recommend these. My only qualm is the large end of the handles. I wish they were smaller or tapered so that I could fit more into my brush belt.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2012 8:17:00 AM More reviews by pimenta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got this set a while ago and I'm loving the brushes, the price is quite good and apart from the pointed brush, that I never found a use for, I've been using all the others on a daily base.
My favorite is the contour brush, I use it to apply blush, either powder or cream, and it's perfect for me because I have tiny cheeks and most blush brushes are just to big for me or only work with powders but not this one which is great for any type of blush.
I'm also using the buffing brush daily to apply my mineral foundation and the detailer brush to apply cream eyeshadow.
All the brushes are very soft, a pleasure to work with and very easy to clean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am getting another set of these I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE them specially love the buffing brush that is my all time favorite foundation brush hands down....i apply my NARS sheer foundation with this brush and it gives me a flawless look I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE it!!!! I highly recommend it...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 7:46:00 PM More reviews by kocoannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall this set of brushes is pretty awesome!

Detailer Brush - it's intended use for concealer is ok, I actually use it for lipstick application and sometimes smudging out eyeliner.

Pointed Foundation Brush - It's a little time consuming & tricky getting a perfect application of foundation. I only use this for parts of applying foundation, mostly under the eye and to get around the nose. It is very handy though for applying concealer under the eye.

Buffing Brush - This is a multipurpose brush for flawless application of mineral powder and liquid foundation. It's also really great for creating a very natural blushed cheek powder or liquid.

Contour brush - Great for precision in applying bronzer or blush to your cheeks. I have sometimes used it for spot powdering my face.

All brushes are synthetic and are super easy to spot clean. They all hold any product nicely and you can use all brushes for powder or liquid. Even though I'm not using all the brushes for their intended use I am super stoked that I have found other uses for them!

The case that these brushes come in is very versatile! It's also great for protecting your brushes for travelling and super awesome for drying your brushes as well after a deep clean!

I love that these are affordable, available online for international buyers and that the creator has tutorials on all of the brushes - which is hugely assuring and encouraging!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by vesperholly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Fantastic, very unique set! This is unlike any other brush set I've seen. Most have the standard powder, blush, concealer, eyeshadow and maybe liner. But after you've bought a few kits, who needs another "meh" eyeshadow brush?? This set is different because it fills in the gaps that other sets have left.

The concealer brush is extra tiny and is great for spot concealing. It's also short enough to sneak into a little makeup bag. The flat foundation brush is a little bit of an odd duck, but it's good for undereye concealing and blending foundation around the nose. The contour brush is really the star of the set, it's such an original size and shape. Great for contour, highlight, and cream blush. The buffer brush is fine, not a standout, but is good for blending blush/bronzer or spot powder application. It's a nice backup when my Sephora 45 mineral powder brush is dirty/drying. It's not very densely packed for a powder brush. The "brush holder" is a complete throw-away, not very good quality and a waste. Very weird and I hope it gets ditched on future revisions.

The price point is the best part - only $16! $4 a brush, and you can use Ulta coupons on it?! Can't beat it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 8:43:00 AM More reviews by HappyHooker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This set is worth it for the buffing brush alone. I regularly use the buffing brush, detail brush and contour (highlight) brush. Only the foundation brush (more like concealer IMO) gets little use. There is nothing wrong with it I just happen to own other brushes that are better suited to my needs. All in all a fantastic set for the price! A hit.