April 16, 2014 | 943 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Core Collection

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2011 12:26:00 PM More reviews by shell0408

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have bought so many off brand brushes because I can't bring myself to spend the money on the name brand brushes. These are by far the best off brand brushes I've ever bought. I have used MAC brushes in the past and notice that some tend to shed a little after use or during cleaning. These brushes a equally as soft and hold up through cleaning.I also love the variety of different brushes and the sizes. Specifically this collection has so many uses, I use the buffering brush to apply powder foundation and the contouring brush for contour, highlight and applying powder under the eyes. Great products. Sold at Ulta for $15.99

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 5:03:00 PM More reviews by makeupaddict76

I love these brushes. For only $16 at Ulta, quality is amazing. I use buffing brush for foundation, powder and contouring my face with chanel bronze universal. It's dense enough to pack on colors and soft enough to blend it out. I love the contour brush for cheek highlighting and the detailer brush for inner corner highlighting.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by wyhg

I love these brushes! They are really soft and the quality is great. I have washed them once since I've gotten them and they don't shed at all. Make up application is a little easier when you have great tools like these. I definitely believe that with the real technique brushes you're getting way more than what you pay for compared to other brands. The range of brush sizes in the different brush sets is also amazing. I'm planning on getting every brush I need from real techniques.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2011 11:43:00 AM More reviews by arielelizabeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

These are the best brushes I've ever used. Not only do they blend my makeup PERFECTLY, but they're affordable, too! I couldn't be happier with these brushes. My foundation, blush, and bronzer have never looked so well blended together.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2011 7:50:00 PM More reviews by shiningshdw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Amazing. I think for those that follow Sam and Nic on youtube, it was a no-brainer to go and try these brushes.
I bought them when they were buy one get one free at ULTA coupled with a coupon. So AMAZING deal. They'd be a good deal even without the sale.
The foundation brush is a little small for applying foundation to the face but good for concealer in larger areas.
The quality of the brushes is so good, especially for the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2011 2:28:00 PM More reviews by ThatLadyNextDoor

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I will make this short and sweet, but I wished Real Techniques were made before Sigma brushes. These brushes are WAY, WAY better than any of my Sigmas. They're also cheaper and do a better than than all of the brushes I own. I bought just about all the RT brushes. All are PERFECT!! I love the case that it came with. Will I ever purchase this set again? Heck yeah, I would!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2011 2:06:00 PM More reviews by Sassymedusa

This set is worth it for the buffing brush and the detailer brush alone. They are all very good quality. I haven't seen any hairs come out of them.

The detailer brush is my favorite because I can use just the tip to apply foundation and then the sides to blend it in. It is very accurate. The buffing brush has been great for applying blush and really blending it in. I've used the contour blush for applying highlight to my cheekbones, as it is too small to really be a contour brush on my face. I haven't had a reason to use the foundation brush yet.

Great buy! I think I paid around $16 at Ulta.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by rebelprince

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm going to review these brushes individually. General notes are that they're all super soft taklon and have a great weight with a huge ferrule and are just generally amazing in their construction.

Buffing Brush - Goodness, I keep finding uses for this. I think it's great for blending just about any kind of product into the skin and really buffing it in. I also use it for buffing in certain cheek products that tend to just sit on the skin. I have no words. This is great for powders (to me) moreso than liquids or creams but it can work with all.

Contour Brush - Where have you been all my life?! I find this brush to just be perfect for sitting into every little small area and it just blends beautifully. I also use this sometimes for cream blushes and it distributes them beautifully. I find that this picks up a bit more product than some of the other brushes but that's fine by me! I also use this to blend highlighters on the tops of cheeks and across the brow bone. Indispensable.

Detailer Brush - Worth having. I use it for spot concealing a lot of times. I also use it for lips or for specific eyeshadow applications and I've used it to smudge eyeshadows or eyeliner. It's the tiny everyman of the set and I use it all the time.

Pointed Foundation Brush - Oh, how I love thee. I find this brush wasn't my favorite for applying foundation but it works wonders with concealers and powders and cream cheek products and it never really stops gaining purpose. I saw below in synmyn's review that it can be used for eyeshadows and I'm not against trying that! It's a great brush, though. The head is very stiff and gorgeous for precise application.

Brush Case - I actually quite like it. It allows me to protect those brushes and I can do a full face for myself with this kit because I don't really wear eyeshadow as a bloke. I am now going to try it to dry my brushes upside down. (Really, thanks synmyn!)

For $16, I'm DARN WELL going to repurchase. I will have loads of brushes but I don't care! I love these so much that I need duplicates!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2011 4:02:00 PM More reviews by synmyn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Overall, I think this set is excellentógreat brushes at a super price. When I first saw this set at Ulta, I thought it looked kind of cheap and almost passed. But the price is so reasonable that I decided to give it a shot. Iím really glad I did. I bought this set along with the starter eyes kit and Iím finding that itís best to take the brush descriptions with a grain of salt. Most of the time, I use the brushes for a different purpose than what the name says. They are all extremely soft, donít shed, wash well, and dry quickly. I also like that they are all synthetic.

Buffing Brush Ė My personal favorite of the set. This brush is perfect for powders/creams and for blending of any kind. I love using this with my mineral foundation. I was using the Sonia Kashuk flat multipurpose brush, but itís a little too dense and results in too heavy an application if Iím not careful. Because this buffing brush is a little less dense (but equally soft), I find that it gives me a lighter result and a smoother, less caked-on finish.

Contour Brush Ė My second favorite brush in the set. The small, rounded shape of this brush is great. Itís the perfect size for contouring, but itís also great for any kind of precision application, be it highlight, contour, blush, powder, or foundation. Very soft and very versatile.

Detailer Brush Ė This is a fairly standard brush and can be used for a variety of purposes: lipstick, small concealer work, precise eye shadow or eye liner application.

Pointed Foundation Brush Ė This one was a surprise to me. I was unimpressed with it at first and wrote it off as a throwaway--really too small to be a full face foundation brush. Interestingly enough, I now use it far more often than I thought I would. Itís quite pointed and stiff, so you do have to be careful because you can poke yourself. Used on its side, itís soft and blends extremely well. I have a Tarte eye shadow palette that I find far too shimmery when I use a normal eye shadow brush. This brush has given that palette a new life. When I apply the shimmer eye shadow with this brush, it goes on super sheer and I can layer it on without looking like a cheap hooker. The size, shape and stiffness of this brush also make it ideal for brushing off eye shadow fallout from below the eye.

Brush Case Ė My initial impression of the brush case was that it was flimsy and gimmicky. I personally prefer cases I can close fully so the brushes stay clean when I travel. Then I saw the brush cleaning case recently advertised on the Sigma website and a light bulb went off. Why not use the Real Techniques brush case to dry my brushes upside down? Iíve been trying to find a way to dry my brushes so that the water does not drip down into the ferrule while drying. I donít like laying a lot of my brushes on their sides because it takes up too much counter space. This brush case is the perfect solution. After I wash my brushes and squeeze out the excess water, I put them in the elastic holders and flip the case upside down. Leaving the case open inside out, I can easily adjust the Velcro strap so that it stands upright with my brushes held in place securely. The case standing up does not take up much space on my counter or my dresser. And big handled brushes (like my Ecotools bronzer brush) that wonít fit into the straps? I just secure one between the case sides at an angle. Now, Iím so glad that I didnít toss the caseóitís the perfect brush drying stand!

So in a nutshell, I got four soft, high quality brushes and a brush drying case for $16. Hello! Five big lippies for me! :)

35 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2011 10:42:00 PM More reviews by GiaMagro

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Detailer Brush:
God I LOVE this for apply lipstick, lip gloss and blending lip liner. It's just fabulous!

Pointed Foundation Brush:
This is small for applying foundation, but it's PERFECT for concealer under the eyes, around the nose and any small areas of discoloration.

Buffing Brush:
This is the most AMAZING brush for apply foundation (liquid or creme). I can not live without this brush.

Contour Brush:
It's good for contour the cheeks or apply powder under the eyes and around the nose. Any area where you haven't already applied blush, bronzer, etc. It really good for highlighter as well.

Overall this kit is amazing and the price is really good. Even better when I was able to use my Instyle $5.00 off coupon. I would re-purchase in a heart beat.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No