April 16, 2014 | 1983 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2011 5:40:00 PM More reviews by savyy

Initially liked it but after a few months of use, found that it didn't moisturize and in fact was making my face red and feeling tight. I didn't expect this to irritate my skin at all but I guess it did. Not bad at removing eye makeup, but I prefer grapeseed oil for removing makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2011 7:34:00 PM More reviews by turquoiseginger

Jojoba oil is my miracle product. I've been using it for the past 2 years on my face, body, and hair. I've only used Desert Essence because it's available everywhere, but I'm sure any other brand would work.

After washing my hair, I massage the oil into my scalp and ends of my hair.

For all over body care, I add jojoba oil to my lotion to give it extra moisturizing qualities and so it spreads easier.

For skincare, just a couple of drops go a long way. I especially like using it in the winter time or when I'm using acne products that are drying.

You can purchase it on iherb.com and use referral code KOP962 for $5 off your first order.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2011 9:37:00 PM More reviews by pmd584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have larger pores, acne-prone, sensitive skin. This stuff never fails to cause tiny flesh-colored bumps all over my face after about a week of use.... I've been using it on and off for years now and have had varying degrees of breakouts from it, depending on what other products I'm also using at the time. Castor oil does the same thing to me too.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2011 4:39:00 AM More reviews by luxferi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm placing order for 3 more 4oz bottles of this. At first I didn't feel like it does anything for me, I mean, it's just jojoba oil and there's no anti aging benefits, no mile long ingredients and it can't clean my bathroom for me. So I threw it to one side and never glanced at it anymore.

A month ago I started breaking out after using Revlon Colorstay foundation, and my skin just went crazy - sensitive and acne prone. I tried a whole slew of salicylic products until rosacea condition I never knew I had all along started to flare up badly. Once I realized I had rosacea, I knew I had to start over and threw out everything I had been using, and use the GENTLEST products. I bought Avene Thermal Spring Water (I LOVE this stuff) and Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser for oily, blemish prone sensitive skin and along with this jojoba oil as moisturizer.

MY SKIN HAS NEVER LOOKED BETTER. My mild rosacea has calmed down significantly and let me tell you, as far as I can remember I've always had pink cheeks. Today, I used blush for the first time. And the extra benefit that I never expected is that my oily T zone no longer looks oily! ALL DAY! I just can't believe it... I'm still in shock, and I wanted to cry from relief.

This is how I apply my jojoba oil: After I cleanse my face, I spritz Avene Thermal Spring Water on my face, wait a few seconds, then using clean hands, pat it into my skin until dry. Then, I spritz ATSW into my palm quite generously and put two drops (no more!) of jojoba oil, rub my palms together and pat it onto my face and neck. That's it. It didn't clog my pores, it didn't do anything other than just being kind to my skin, and that's what I need right now. For anti aging I just bought Avene Eluage cream and I'll review that once I felt sufficient time has passed.

PS: I also add this into my DIY Vitamin C serum.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2011 11:00:00 PM More reviews by aliora

I'm ecstatic that I ended up with an oil that worked for my skin the first time I experimented with the concept of using "oil". To give you an idea, I have oily/combination acne prone skin, so after years of having the "oil free" mantra preached to me, I was hesitant to use this even though Jojoba oil is technically a liquid wax. I've been using this for three months, and it does not cause any break outs (I go through phases where I still break out hormonally and phases when I have really clear skin while using this). The first few weeks of using this did making some of my active acne inflamed as it was definitely pushing the stuff out of my pores, but after that, it was just fine.

I did stray a little bit when I tried out Argan oil (which is an actual oil as opposed to Jojoba which is actually a wax), but that broke me out so I went back to this. I only use one or two drops on my damp face and no other moisturizer except for sunscreen. I find that it soaks in pretty well and balances my sebum output.

To people who want to try it out, it may or may not work for you. Some people seem to break out with Jojoba, so purchase a small size before committing to a larger bottle.

I don't think I will stop using this anytime soon; it's become part of my daily routine after cleansing.

A side note: Jojoba oil has a scent to it similar to sesame seed oil. There are some brands to take the scent out using a natural process so it doesn't smell. My Dessert Essence bottle (non-organic version) does not have a scent, my Trader Joes Jojoba oil does. I think both are fine.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2011 10:59:00 AM More reviews by Nadinelala

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i bought the vita5 cpr hair version of jojoba oil and its f**kin amazing!! my hair always seems to form these flicks after an hour or two of straightening my hair. my hair is so unruly, not even my ghd can tame it. my hairdresser recommended it to me (because i complain so much about my hair) and she told me to put it just before i straighten my hair and only a few drops of it (my bottle has a very small pump so i only put like 2 - 3 drops into my hand) and just put it through my hair with my fingers, mostly the ends, and to then apply some after im done straightening my hair, and my hair has never been so straight and volumised before. im in love. this is definitely a holy grail for me.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/1/2011 5:33:00 PM More reviews by troglodyte

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm not sure why this has such a good reputation. It isn't any more special or effective than olive oil or other oils.
I used it as a moisturizer only on the dry spots on my cheeks. It tended to sit there and my skin didn't feel any more moisturized.
I tried using it as a hair serum/treatment. It didn't change my hair that much and it was tricky to use the right amount or else my hair would get greasy and gross. I prefer a silicone serum or a regular leave-in.
I have a big bottle leftover and one use I actually liked was to mix some drops in my hand with a handful of conditioner (Garnier Triple Nutrition) and comb this trough my hair. I felt this was the right dose of oil and added a bit of shine.

Edit (2012): Tried again, same results. Made me break out the next day (haven't had acne for months beforehand and this was the only thing I changed in my routine. A week later still battling the effects.) To the trash.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2011 11:47:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

I have tried this on the ends of my hair before to reduce frizzyness, and it worked pretty well, not making it too heavy like for example olive oil (that also smells weird to me...) or coconut oil (that after some time also changes in smell).
I do not like to use this as a makeup remover at all - my L'Oreal one works much better and it's cheaper for the same amount.
Right now I'm using this as a face moisturiser because the last moisturiser I bought broke me out in small white bumps after about two weeks use. I thought the bumps would go away, waited for 3 more weeks using my regular cream, but they actually turned hard under the skin, so I actually had to squeeze them out!!! :G I had them all over my face, and of course got a little bit of scarring left behind :(
I NEED to moisturise my face, because after the cream that... I don't know - gave me an allergy (+) my skin is now dry... Since I just don't have money right now, and because the bottle said that this was a non-pore-clogging oil, I decided to try it. Also, I have pretty sensitive and thin skin, and I'm afraid of experimenting more with moisturisers.
First off: Many people say that this is good because it is like the skin's natural oil. If this is true, I'm not sure I would recommend this product to the people that already have oily skin, because it can cause even more clogging (which oily skinned people is known of often experiencing). I have dry skin, and therefore a lack of natural oil on the skin.
Jojoba oil is mildly comedogenic (2 on a scale of 5, but many things people regularly use is much worse than that). This does not mean that everyone will get clogged pores from this. I don't have much problem with pores - I both regularly exfoliate my skin, and just have always had small pores.
This oil is considered as 0 on a a scale of irritating chemicals. This does not mean no one will react bad to it. Some bacteria feeds of oil (especially vitamin oils), and therefore, much oil can cause more bacteria on the skin.
The way I use this: wash my my face (with a soft sponge and facial soap) and then taking 3 drops of this on my palm, rubbing my hands together, pat on the oil, and then massage it in a little.
Now for my experience: I have been using this for 3 weeks now. This is a non-tacky, non-greasy-looking oil. It has no smell. Till now it has definitely not broke me out, and have been working pretty well for moisturising my skin, but I'm not sure how it would work on skin that's very dry. I wear foundation every day right now, and this oil haven't interfered with it or made my face becoming oily faster. I have noticed that my pores doesn't get bigger at all using this - they're just as small as after an exfoliation - very impressive!
For the first week I wasn't feeling that this oil was doing anything for my face - which it really wasn't. My skin felt dry and slightly oily at the same time. So why have I given it a 5? Because after about 2 weeks I started noticing a difference: my skin slowly began to normalize and regain moisture while it wasn't becoming too oily oily, no clogged pores and no irritations.
One bottle will last me sooo long, and I certainly will use it again! I would suggest other people trying it out if they have dry skin, want a natural product, have sensitive skin, or want to use this for the same purpose as me or another.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2011 4:23:00 AM More reviews by g0oo0f

This stuff is awesome. Multi-useful, and got rid of (most) of my acne (eventually)
OKAY yeah the packaging SUCKS, but whats inside is golden.

Hair: putting some on the ends of my hair as a leave in treatment, wash out in the morning - helps dry ends. you can also use it to help flakiness or as an anti-frizz treatment. but only use A FEW DROPS or you will look too oily :O

Makeup remover: I use it in the shower to take my eye makeup off. successfully takes off eyeliner, 2-3 coats of mascara, AND face makeup. might need to apply twice for heavy eye makeup though, then use a regular face wash after. sometimes makes eyes a little blurry when you get out, though

Face: I use it as a night time moisturizer. after washing, i put in few drops on my palm and massage into my face. I'm not trying to impress anyone, so yes it's super oily looking on the skin but completely absorbs by morning.
*****TIP**** yes, if you put this on your face and you already have acne...you will probably break out the first few weeks. this is because the oil is getting under your skin and pushing out all the bad junk, and replacing it with healthy oils that aren't clogging :) so TRUST ME, if you bare with it through the breakout...you will have soft smooth skin in the end! it took a good month or two for me to see results, but my breakouts have been reduced by 80-90 percent with consistent use. If i forget to use a couple nights or sleepover at a friends house, I start breaking out!! then I use this and wake up...no more breakouts :)
Hope this helps!

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2011 9:05:00 PM More reviews by bitterchoc0787

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Really helps to give hair a nice shine. Didn't do much for my skin however, in fact, caused a fair bit of whiteheads on my face. When I use it on my hair, it clogs the pores on my back and gives me back acne.