December 21, 2014 | 1840 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2011 3:10:00 PM More reviews by unityqixin

To any one who found this mineral chalky: I did find the minerals very different from other minerals!!!!When I first tried it on my hands, it was like I was putting on chalk powder. It is nothing like my EDM or Prestige minerals which have silky texture. The weired thing I found out about the minerals is that it becomes like a paste texture when mixing with water, so make sure you don't wear it to swimming pools or on rainy days. It does accentuates dryness and it's hard to blend if you put in on using a kabuki brush in a conventional way.
My solution is
1) load my kabuki brush, tap off excess,
2) SPRAY some water/ moisturizing toner on,
3) swirl it into my face like you are putting on LIQUID foundation.

Remember to blend it really well. It goes on like "paint" in a natural way. Also, I don't layer it because whenever I put on the second coat, the water on my brush will remix with the layer I already put on. The coverage you build is basically determined by the amount of product you load on the brush at the first time. More product, more water you need to spray.
I'd say this is definitely a medium to full coverage. The finish is not totally matte, very similar to EL double wear.
For reference, I am NC20 in MAC. I like Cream better cuz Bisque looks really pink.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 11:18:00 AM More reviews by needmytoys2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ordered some samples of this based on the reviews a few months ago and had problems with it caking on application and separating throughout the day. Had not used minerals in a while, so my aplication skills were rusty. Just tried it again for a few days, making sure my moistuizer was fully absorbed prior to application...now I'm hooked! Just ordered the full size of the light- medium oil control silicone formula ($14.00). I'm currently using the ecotools large buffer brush to apply, making sure to swirl the foindation into the brush and especially waiting for my moisturizer to absorb. Absolutely no problem with caking now, or with separation later in the day. It is sooo natural looking, and lasts like I just applied it all day long! Can acheive medium to full natural looking coverage with this alone- no need for concealer, and doesn't settle into my fine lines. No oily breakthrough and I have super oily skin. You've got to try this! Only $1.50 for the sample sizes!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2011 12:28:00 PM More reviews by saribee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am a fair red head and the cream OCC covers my red acne marks like nothing else i've tried. It makes my skin appear flawless. I was in the MAC store and the employees there commented on how great my skin was. But my only problem with this product is that, no matter what I've tried, it makes my skin appear cakey, flaky, and dry. It covers my redmarks, but does not appear smooth. I have tried applying less, jojoba oil, exfoliants, moisturizers, brushes, and more. Can someone message me if they had the same problem and fixed it?? What am I doing wrong?

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2011 11:26:00 AM More reviews by juliet1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I ordered this after reading about it on this site and I just love it! This mineral foundation give my skin a lovely satin finish and the effect lasts all day - when i get home from work, even after a hectic day, my makeup still looks fresh and in place. I have found that the product in powder form looks significantly darker than it actually truly is once applied to the skin. For this reason I would say that it's risky to attempt to judge your best shade by just looking at the images on the site and I strongly suggest trying out various samples before placing an order for a full size. I initially ordered a full size in the 'light' shade for my nc15 (20 in summer) skin and although at first i thought it was great, I noticed that the powder lightens a LOT as it warms into the skin and after a while it was just too pale and made me look washed out. I then ordered a full size in 'bisque' along with various samples and i've worked out that bisque blended with a little 'light medium' is perfect for me. A little goes a long way and if I apply too much my skin seems 'waxy' and my pores are emphasized. The right amount and my skin glows and the finish is natural, although coverage is great and all my blemishes are covered.I would also highly recommend some of the other products from this company. The eyeshadows are wonderful and their staying power is unbeatable. One of the shades 'mocha' is advertised as a suit-all shade and I wear it nearly every day. It's warm, slightly shimmery and brightens my (green) eyes better than any shade I've ever used, it actually makes the whites look whiter. The sweet dreams ambrosia serum is also great and full of fantastic oils, it's incredibly softening. I think that this foundation rightly deserves the great reviews it's earned on MUA.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by cali

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

At first I really like the coverage and silky feel of this foundation, but as the weeks went on I realized it was accentuating my pores (although I have dry-combo skin) and it did not control oil at all on my nose. The yellow tones are great for covering redness, but it was the fact that it just looked greasy and like it was lifting off my skin by the end of the day. I tried it by itself with my normal concealer and then I tried it over my staple Aromaleigh glissade. Putting it over the glissade helped but still had problems with it making my pores more visible. So i went back to using my Physician Formulas talc-free loose minerals over my glissade and I am loving the poreless look it gives me. So even though I liked the color selection and some aspects of the coverage, I will not be purchasing this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2011 6:40:00 PM More reviews by TipTopTap

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE this foundation!

My general philosophy with foundation is, if I can't sleep with it on/workout, I won't (and probably shouldn't) wear it. If you're worried about your skin absorbing it, you probably shouldn't put it on your face.

My first rave about mineral makeup in general is that the samples are easy to come by with every brand. Pay a couple bucks in shipping and you have a bunch of 5g samples to play with and mix to your heart's content.

I had used Alima for awhile but gradually lost interest in it because it's texture is chalky and if I'm going to wear makeup around my boyfriend, it has to be invisible or else he gives me the look like I've drank the red patriarchy beauty myth cool-aid.

Lucy minerals have a satiny feel to them and they blend like a dream. I also found the color selection to be superior. They have foundation in every shade but also every undertone from pink to yellow to olive to neutral. For less than $10, I bought six samples and had enough where I could pick my perfect match. I will definitely be purchasing the full size.

ETA: The color match on this is great, but the formula makes my skin really oily, which mine is actually on the dry side. Within a few hours of application, it sort of melts off and rings my pores. No breakouts and great color match, I've been mixing it with another powder to increase it's lasting power.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2011 1:16:00 PM More reviews by stefyandryan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I want to start out saying that this is my HG mmu!!!! I love it! The color is spot on. I am 50% white and 50% pale olive. She mixed it for me and it is wonderful. It lasts, it covers and has not caused one breakout or clog! I will continue to buy this forever! The price is right, there are so many different formulas to choose from, the samples are awesome and last a pretty long time the shipping is fast and she will mix what ever your colors are if you can't find a perfect match.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by c0lap1nada

I've been trying samples, and the first time I tried it, I thought it was bloody amazing (minus the packaging; they were sent in little bags which ended up all over the tissue paper wrapping). After a couple times, I realized neither silica nor calcium carbonate formulas controlled oil, and the pores of my nose were emphasized. It actually looks like black dots on my nose so... I think a primer will fix the job. Nonetheless, the rest of my face looked great and more natural than using liquid foundation. I'm using Creamy Bisque in Calcium Carbonate, but will try more of the normal formula (silica formula doesn't control oil and it emphasizes pores more than the calcium carbonate formula.)

For reference:
NC20-25, #564 in Shu Uemura, #102 in IPSA, #2 in ELDWL

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2011 9:50:00 PM More reviews by LadyBull

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I got several samples based on the reviews here. This is just average for me. I've tried several brushes to see if that was the culprit,but it's the formula. It accentuates my pores and have had little oil control. I got samples of both types of oil control formulas and one works better than the other, but not by much. I had really high hopes for this. I hope to have an update as I haven't given up on this just yet.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by janycevw