OPI Nail Envy - Original

4.1

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Propyl Acetate, Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Triphenyl Phosphate, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Butyl Alcohol, Formaldehyde, Stearalkonium Bentonite, Camphor, Diacetone Alcohol, Ethyl Tosylamide, Benzophenone 1, Citric Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Dimethicone, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Violet 2 (CI 60725), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 7/19/2009 8:59:00 PM

I've been using a cheap nail hardener called "Brush-On Fiberglass by Network" which has transformed my nails from being dry & brittle (reformed nail biter, here) to being in an "alright" condition. I've also recently started taking a hair/skin/nail supplement with biotin to help strengthen my nails but despite this I still get the occasional break & always get a split right thumb nail thanks to tapping the space bar on my computer with it.

Anyway although the supplements & cheapy nail hardener have kept my nails in an ok condition (they seem stronger but grow just beyond my finger tips before breaking) I thought it was time to try a more expensive nail hardener so i purchased OPI Nail Envy Original along with the Nail Envy maintenance.

I'm only 1 week in so far but am so disappointed ! In the last 2 days I've had 4 nails break ! I don't lead a particularly active lifestyle so it's definitely not strenuous physical activity that's caused them to break.

I can't ever remember having 4 nails break in 2 days when using my previous cheapy nail treatment !!!

I haven't reviewed products on here for ages but my unfortunate experience with OPI nail Envy Original has compelled me to put this review up. it seems to be a glorified nail polish that does nothing to strengthen the nails.

The only positive thing I can say about this product is my nails appear whiter & brighter as it seems to have removed some yellow stains I had on my nails that lemon juice/bicarb soda & light buffing hadn't fully removed.

I've now ordered Nail Magic after reading the reviews on here & am hoping when it arrives it will be the "nail strengthening" product I'm looking for.

on 7/19/2009 10:54:00 AM

I'm not sure about the long-term effects this has on my nails, but I've been using it for a month or so and it does a good job of protecting my nails from splits and peeling. I've never gone without it since I started using it, so I'm not sure if its actually improving my nail or just acting as a barrier, but it works exactly how I wanted it to. It protects my nails from all the dishes and hand washing I have to do at work. I do not, however, like that you have to leave it on for a whole week before removing it because I like to paint my nails, and having the same polish on for a week straight means disaster by the time I go to take it off. I will be buying it again, I can get it for very cheap at transdesign.com

on 7/19/2009 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

HG nail hardener!!!! I've tried several but this is the best by far. I'm a nurse and washing my hands over and over has made my nails so dry and brittle. They would break every day even though I keep them short. I was hesitant to buy this stuff seeing how it's $16 but I was so desperate that I went for it. The directions say to apply 2 coats on the first day, then every other day apply 1 coat. After 1 week remove the polish and start over. Just after the first day I had ZERO breaks! That's a miracle for me! My nails are actually growing! I highly recommend this! I honestly would pay twice the amount I paid for this because it is so worth it.

on 7/13/2009 4:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Terrible. Never had any problem with peeling nails until I used this. Made condition of my nails worse..... Back to my revlon quick dry base coat. That actually makes my nails long and strong for a third of the price.

on 7/2/2009 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I can't believe it took me so long to find this. I've always had thin, weak and peeling nails. To make matters worse for some reason many of the growth products that get good reviews just peel off my nails in sheets the next day. I have tried all the hardeners and strengtheners like NailTek, Barielle, Mavala....you name it. Years ago I tried the Nail Envy for soft peeling nails and just like everything else it peeled off the next day. I have had some success with some of the newer Sally Hansen growth product but they don't make a good basecoat for colored polish on me. For some reason I bought a tiny bottle of this (original formula), on impulse just to eliminate it from my on-going quest for nice natural nails. I was shocked when it stayed on my nails without peeling or chipping for days and days!!! I've been using it for 4 weeks and my nails are long and strong and better than ever before. I would not be without it. HG status for sure.

on 6/24/2009 1:32:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The best thing I've ever tried. My nails were ok before apart from occasional breaks and splits now and then. I started using Nail Envy Original when OPI was launched here in Germany a few years ago and my nails have totally improved, they are strong and flexible. I havent found any Nail Treatment that was comparable to it since even among the other Nail Envy Formulas (e.g. Maintenance). The only bit of a downside is that it is kind of expensive in Germany. (22-25 ) Its worth it though. I would definately recommend it. Its on of my staple products.

on 6/15/2009 4:43:00 AM

i've been using this under polish for about 6 weeks and the results have been good. no other treatment/strengthener i've tried has really helped with the peeling and breaking that i've had for the past year. i had been a lifelong nail biter, and sometime in the summer of '08 i just decided to quit. i tried many, many different treatments to help with weak nails, thin nails, splitting, peeling, breaking, etc. some made it worse, some made no difference. nail envy is the only thing that has really helped to relieve the problems that i had. i do still get the occasional break or peely, but overall, i'm quite happy with this product.

on 5/4/2009 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I had high hopes for Nail Envy but I'm hugely disappointed. It was utterly useless and didn't make any difference to my nails at all. I was taken in by the spiel and the packaging, but I remember Sally Hansen Maximum Growth working really fast to build up nails so am returning to that line.

Interesting to read other reviewers noting the ingredients which are actually v. drying to the nail. Wish I'd come here and read that first, would've saved my money and my time.

Don't bother.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

i am absolutely religious about this product. i've been obsessed with keeping my nails neat, as long as possible, and well painted since i can remember, and my mum bought me a bottle of this from qvc about 5 years ago and i've not looked back. i use it as a base and topcoat on my manicures, topping up every other day (i know that's not how it's intended for use but i find in conjunction with a good cuticle oil and hand cream my nails maintain the right amount of flexibility and don't become brittle). as a barmaid my hands are constantly in contact with hot soapy water and cleaning products and still manage to stay long and in good condition. i must get through about a bottle of this every term (as a student that's how i judge the value cost-wise of things) so while it's a little pricey on my budget, i wouldn't ever think of using anything else. i love the brush, but tend to find that after a while the bottle gunks up and it gets a little thicker; although i find that with all nail products, so no biggie.

This is the ONLY product that stopped me biting my nails.I started using it on Christmas eve 2008 as a last ditch attempt to grow my nails (I have bitten them since I was a kid and relied on falsies, though hated the feel of them). I have tried many treatments and products in the past, but even when I managed to get a bit of nail growth, my nails would be so weak they would bend and break. I have always been so self conscious of my nails and tried to hide them so people could not see how disgusting they were. I used to have false nails applied, but hated them. I apply nail envy every other day (I use the green original one), just one coat, then at the end of every week I remove it and apply two coats then start the process again. It's been four months now of doing this and I still have a tiny bit left in my bottle (I've already purchased another one). I now have gorgeous, strong nails and they grow so long that I went for my very first manicure the other day! It was a proud moment, especially when the beautician said I had really long nails and she wished hers could grow like mine! I would highly recommend this ladies. It REALLY works. I am now the proud owner of gorgeous, healthy, strong nails AND an ever growing collection of nail polishes!

Popular Treatments