OPI Nail Envy - Original

4.1

Ethyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Propyl Acetate, Tosylamide Formaldehyde Resin, Isopropyl Alcohol, Triphenyl Phosphate, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Butyl Alcohol, Formaldehyde, Stearalkonium Bentonite, Camphor, Diacetone Alcohol, Ethyl Tosylamide, Benzophenone 1, Citric Acid, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Dimethicone, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Violet 2 (CI 60725), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 9/10/2009 7:34:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm constantly changing my nail polish, plus working at a hospital I'm constantly washing my hands and using hand sanitizer, so my nails were in pretty rough shape. I'd tried many different products and nail strengtheners, and I have to say, this is by far my favourite so far. I noticed a big difference after only a few applications.

Pros: It goes on smoothly, has mininal smell, a great brush for application, as well as actually looking nice on your nails.

Cons: It is quite expensive.

I haven't noticed any significant chipping/effect on the lasting power of my polish, but it's something I'll definitely watch out for now that I've read your reviews.

on 8/21/2009 7:50:00 AM

Pros: I love OPI polish bottles and the new flatter and wider brush, it makes the application easy. The formula dries very fast, can be worn by itself with 2-3 layers and makes hands look really neat.

Cons: This did absolutely nothing for my nails. I used it both on its own and as a base coat for the past 3 months and my nails keep splitting in huge chunks, zero change from when I first started using it. Will not repurchase

on 8/8/2009 10:36:00 AM

My sister has this, and I've used it a few times. I initially loved it because it strengthens your nails LIKE CRAZY. It's just amazing.
However, I found it makes polish peel off after a few days (instead of a bit of polish just chipping off with wear, it will pull up and you can peel the whole nail's worth of polish off)
I guess it's debatable how big of an issue this is though.
What tipped the bucket for me was finding out that it costs $20.. too expensive!

on 8/6/2009 2:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Tried & true protein treatment to strengthen weak or thin nails. Be cautious of overuse, as with all protein treatments.

on 7/25/2009 5:18:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I actually really like this stuff! My nails have always peeled and now I am trying to take care of my nails now that I am getting into nail polish. This stuff has worked very well for me! I use two coats as a base coat whenever I do my nails and it helps a lot. I have gotten one split in the two weeks I have been using this, but normally I get a lot more. Kinda spendy at $17, but I think that it is totally worth it, I will definetely repurchase this!

on 7/19/2009 8:59:00 PM

I've been using a cheap nail hardener called "Brush-On Fiberglass by Network" which has transformed my nails from being dry & brittle (reformed nail biter, here) to being in an "alright" condition. I've also recently started taking a hair/skin/nail supplement with biotin to help strengthen my nails but despite this I still get the occasional break & always get a split right thumb nail thanks to tapping the space bar on my computer with it.

Anyway although the supplements & cheapy nail hardener have kept my nails in an ok condition (they seem stronger but grow just beyond my finger tips before breaking) I thought it was time to try a more expensive nail hardener so i purchased OPI Nail Envy Original along with the Nail Envy maintenance.

I'm only 1 week in so far but am so disappointed ! In the last 2 days I've had 4 nails break ! I don't lead a particularly active lifestyle so it's definitely not strenuous physical activity that's caused them to break.

I can't ever remember having 4 nails break in 2 days when using my previous cheapy nail treatment !!!

I haven't reviewed products on here for ages but my unfortunate experience with OPI nail Envy Original has compelled me to put this review up. it seems to be a glorified nail polish that does nothing to strengthen the nails.

The only positive thing I can say about this product is my nails appear whiter & brighter as it seems to have removed some yellow stains I had on my nails that lemon juice/bicarb soda & light buffing hadn't fully removed.

I've now ordered Nail Magic after reading the reviews on here & am hoping when it arrives it will be the "nail strengthening" product I'm looking for.

on 7/19/2009 10:54:00 AM

I'm not sure about the long-term effects this has on my nails, but I've been using it for a month or so and it does a good job of protecting my nails from splits and peeling. I've never gone without it since I started using it, so I'm not sure if its actually improving my nail or just acting as a barrier, but it works exactly how I wanted it to. It protects my nails from all the dishes and hand washing I have to do at work. I do not, however, like that you have to leave it on for a whole week before removing it because I like to paint my nails, and having the same polish on for a week straight means disaster by the time I go to take it off. I will be buying it again, I can get it for very cheap at transdesign.com

on 7/19/2009 9:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

HG nail hardener!!!! I've tried several but this is the best by far. I'm a nurse and washing my hands over and over has made my nails so dry and brittle. They would break every day even though I keep them short. I was hesitant to buy this stuff seeing how it's $16 but I was so desperate that I went for it. The directions say to apply 2 coats on the first day, then every other day apply 1 coat. After 1 week remove the polish and start over. Just after the first day I had ZERO breaks! That's a miracle for me! My nails are actually growing! I highly recommend this! I honestly would pay twice the amount I paid for this because it is so worth it.

on 7/13/2009 4:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Terrible. Never had any problem with peeling nails until I used this. Made condition of my nails worse..... Back to my revlon quick dry base coat. That actually makes my nails long and strong for a third of the price.

on 7/2/2009 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I can't believe it took me so long to find this. I've always had thin, weak and peeling nails. To make matters worse for some reason many of the growth products that get good reviews just peel off my nails in sheets the next day. I have tried all the hardeners and strengtheners like NailTek, Barielle, Mavala....you name it. Years ago I tried the Nail Envy for soft peeling nails and just like everything else it peeled off the next day. I have had some success with some of the newer Sally Hansen growth product but they don't make a good basecoat for colored polish on me. For some reason I bought a tiny bottle of this (original formula), on impulse just to eliminate it from my on-going quest for nice natural nails. I was shocked when it stayed on my nails without peeling or chipping for days and days!!! I've been using it for 4 weeks and my nails are long and strong and better than ever before. I would not be without it. HG status for sure.

Popular Treatments