April 17, 2014 | 1924 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - Dark Angels

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2010 10:16:00 PM More reviews by mommygirl5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

a bit messy to use...but an awesome cleanser and exfoliator. i use this right before i get in the shower. it's easier to wash off that way. whatever is leftover after applying to my face i rub all over my hands to help exfoliate. it really does a great job cleansing and exfoliating my skin. my skin have never looked this good!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2010 12:04:00 PM More reviews by luftballon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received a generous chunk of a sample of this when buying Dream Cream. I've tried it a couple times now. It's a very good scrub if you have problematic skin! I had been breaking out with lots of hormonal acne (chin, around the mouth, forehead) along with blackheads. You only need a teeny amount (pea sized) to dilute with water and scrub your face. I don't think the exfoliating particles (black sugar/charcoal) are too harsh, either. Always remember to just be gentle when you scrub... there's no need to rub your delicate facial skin raw! :)

The smell took some getting used to because it was kind of strong and herbal but the overall effect is very refreshing. It's helped my zits heal, especially on my forehead, and my chin isn't as dry or chapped and my zits are smaller/less irritated. I recommend this if you have acne and oily skin. I have combo skin leaning on the dry side, but I still think it's very suitable for people with my skin type, too. It doesn't dry me out like a lot of cleansers do, and my face feels very smooth from exfoliating with this. It is very calming and soothing for the skin. I do not like the mess it makes but it's not as big of a deal as everyone says it is. It will leave little black particles, though, so just wipe everything down when you're done!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

YIKES! Boy, did this stuff eat up my face! I was at the Lush counter while my daughter was spending her Christmas money on blocks of soap, and came across the Dark Angels cleanser display. I had read all the glowing reviews on MUA, so when the SA came by and asked if I needed any help, I asked her about it. I specifically asked if it was okay for normal skin, and she assured me it was. She potted up a sample for me, gave me my directions on usage, and sent me on my way. She even recommended that I keep the DA on my face for 5-10 minutes as a cleansing mask, and told me that her mother does it all the time with great success.

Off I went to my house, and immediately headed to the bathroom to use my new potion. The first thing I noticed was that yes, as has been noted in previous reviews, this stuff is MESSY. It's a black, crumbly, black, hard to work with, did I say BLACK dry paste that you add water to to make a thinner paste so you can manipulate it all over your face as a scrub. Despite my best efforts, I managed to spill it all into my sink, get it under my fingernails, slime it all over my hands, and generally make a huge mess with it. I definitely recommend using in the shower instead of at the sink.

So I finally got everything smeared across my face. The first thing I noticed was the scent, which is very herbally---I detected a licorice-type scent, but that might just be me. Not unpleasant, but different.

When I began scrubbing, I realized that this stuff is ABRASIVE. I use scrubs on a regular basis, and have tried many, many brands, and never have I used one this harsh. However, I was using a very light hand, so I figured I was okay, and I was looking forward to that baby-butt-soft skin everyone kept talking about, so I kept on going for about 30-60 seconds more.

When I rinsed off, I looked in the mirror and my face was bright red. Then the burning began. My entire face got hot, and I had to rinse with freezing-cold water to cool it off. I finally got things back under control, but overall it was not a good experience, and freaked me out a little, since I don't have especially sensitive skin and haven't had that happen to me in the past with any other scrub. I had to follow with a soothing hydrating mask from by beloved Repechage to bring things back into balance. Thank God for the Hydra Dew mask!

I won't be buying this one. To me, although my face did not feel that much smoother after using this mask, and it also felt like it had a strange film on it. Plus, the redness and heat were just not worth the payoff. There are far too many good scrubs out there that don't effect my skin so badly and that give me better results. I love many of the Lush products, but this one is a no-go for me. Those with sensitive skins...proceed with great caution!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2010 1:46:00 AM More reviews by nakeeyark

if LUSH fresh farmacy is my favorite cleanser, then LUSH dark angels is my favorite exfoliating scrub. when i first looked in the tub i couldn't believe this would effectively clean my face. but oh, it does. and so much more! dark angels is a very rough scrub, so it's probably not good for those with very dry skin. but for my oily (yet sensitive) skin, it works wonders if i use it about 3 - 4 times a week. i take a small pinch of the herbal, earthy smelling scrub (and trust me, it smells amazing), place it in my palm, and add just a bit of water to mix. i spread it over my damp face and rub in small circles, avoiding the skin around my eyes. i rinse off and am left with glowing, beautiful skin. i love almost everything about this scrub, from the smell to the texture to the effects it has on my skin. the only minor negative element to this scrub is that it is MESSY, although that can also be attributed to my general clumsiness. i usually end up with dark water and teensy pieces of the scrub all over my sink. as such, i keep dark angels in my shower. problem solved. an added bonus: while LUSHs "use by" dates on their products seem to hold generally true with some of their other products, i am now using my pot of dark angels 2 months past it's "use by" date with no change in texture or quality; it seems to be a LUSH cleanser with a remarkably long shelf life.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2010 9:46:00 PM More reviews by cory2189

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product lasts a loooong time. I've been trying to use it up so that I can get something else. It's a good product for summer months as it smooths the skin and clears your acne-prone skin somewhat, but in the winter it has really dried out my skin. I use it in conjunction with Tea Tree Toner and Celestial moisturizer. Maybe if I used it with the Rose Water Toner or Breath of Fresh Air it wouldn't dry me out so much? So there's that and also the fact that it is messy, so I suggest that you use it in the shower.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2010 11:15:00 AM More reviews by glittermaven

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have mixed feelings as well about this product. I think it is nice for a once in a while exfoliator but not great to use regularly. It is messy and crumbles all over my sink. It also gets under my fingernails. The smell is nice and usage is fairly easy but I notice I have to use a toner afterwards, as I have a black residue still on my skin. I never noticed it until I did use a toner and the cotton ball came out black! That kind of grossed me out a bit. Overall, I wouldnt buy again. Also dont like the flimsy clear plastic container it comes in (from mail order anyway). I have oily skin that breaks out and have not noticed any improvements with this product. I prefer MAC's volcanic ash line for charcoal based products.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2009 5:01:00 PM More reviews by EmilyKniv

My fave scrub of all time! I love it! I only use it once or twice a week as it can be quite harsh. But it's so exfoliating and leaves my skin feeling so soft!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Saga17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

OMG I LOVE this product! I have acne and this is the best scrub I have ever tried... It smells interesting (in a good way) and it's very easy to and fun to use. It's a very "hard" scrub so I use it once a week only. It really helps me keep my skin healthier! Also works on your back (if you have acne there...)

rated 2 of 5 on 12/16/2009 7:02:00 AM More reviews by Veedebee

I have such mixed feelings about this. The good news is that this will get your face smoother and cleaner than a brillo pad! I gets deep down into those pores, sucks up and washes away all the oilyness and leaves no dry flakey patches of skin behind. So that's a huge thumbs up. It doesn't seem to have caused any breakouts, rashes or irritation either and it smells delicious.
The negatives are that it might actually be less painful using a brillo pad or scouring cloth to wash your face - dang it this stuff HURTS and I do not have particularly sensitive skin. Exfoliation is an understatement, it really feels like this takes off the entire top layer of your skin - revealing the beautiful soft clean layer underneath, but also leaving my face feeling like I'd had a chemical peel, or walked into arctic winds with hail stones flying at me and my face totally unprotected. Now add to that the fact (as previously mentioned) that my white shower or sink look like I've had the 7 dwarves in there after spending all day down a filthy dirty mine and you'll see why I'm not totally in love with this product. Not to mention trying to get the stuff out of my hairline.
I've taken lippies off for the pain inflicted and the mess caused, but I would repurchase just because this does such a good job. Definately once a week at the very most for me and if you have dry and/or sensitive skin the approach with extreme caution.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2009 8:16:00 AM More reviews by Pixiechix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is great, it comes in a pot and is black with very small grains in it which makes it mega exfoliating. The charcoal in it soaks up all the oil and evens out your skin tone. I get break outs and have really oily sking and can get medium size pores on my cheeks which I hate. This stuff works like magic! Yes, it is messy, like other post said it goes everywhere. In the sink, on your face cloth in your finger nails, the lot. It's just sooooooo good though. Fab product and would definately buy again.