E.L.F. Studio Powder Brush

Price: $

synthetic, cruelty-free hair

on 12/23/2013 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I had this brush for 2 months before it completely collapsed. For the price, it doesn't seem like such a big deal to just keep buying and rebuying it, but I don't see why anyone would do so when they could save up and get a better brush for $20 that they won't have to replace for years, assuming proper care. The brush is just average--not necessarily bad, but more like something I would use as backup or use in the meantime if I lost a brush or something and was saving up to replace it. It's standard. I'm confused as to why people call this their "HG" brush--I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.

on 12/20/2013 9:13:00 PM

I love this brush as a foundation brush. It really does the job and makes my skin look so flawless. But there is a down side. As i was washing my brush there was a lot of fallout of the hair. I expected a few to fall out but there was so much that came out it was crazy. Also i could basically grab all the hair and pull it out. But nevertheless it is really affordable so buying another shouldn't be a problem.

on 12/20/2013 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Finally a cheap yet excellent powder blush. This is durable and soft but cannot be easily stored in your makeup bag.

on 12/14/2013 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I really like this brush for my setting powder! It's super soft and can get into areas such as around my nose well. The price is unbeatable at $3! I would highly recommend this brush for any kind of powder, even blush and bronzer!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Great brush for foundation, powder, anything! No shedding, the bristles do not break off or become matted. Love this brush!

on 12/10/2013 1:46:00 PM

It's a good brush for applying liquid foundation,however the handle separated almost as soon as I purchased it. This is major reason I wouldn't repurchase.

on 12/9/2013 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

No matter how many people love this brush, no matter how many rave reviews it gets on MUA, no matter how many YT guru's recommend it
I WILL STILL HATE THIS BRUSH WITH THE FIRE OF ONE THOUSAND SUNS, AND I'M NOT GOING TO PRETEND LIKE I DON'T.

This is why:
I have bought 4 different brushes like this, because everytime I purchased it, I though "I must have gotten a bad brush, everyone loves it, so I must have just gotten a dud"
WRONG.
All of the brushes I purchased were very consistent, which is a good thing I suppose, if you like it, but I don't. I seriously couldn't hate this brush more.

*Bristles are not very dense, which causes the coverage to not be that great.
*The bristles are actually not all that soft.
*THE HANDLE ALWAYS BREAKS LIKE WHAT THE FIDDLE DIDDLE IS THIS. I go to extreme measures to make sure my brushes are well taken care of. Keep in mind, I am only a teen, so none of my brushes are expensive at all, but I still invest money in them, so I take very good care of them. I am extremely cautious not to get any water in the brush, I wash and dry them tilted down, and put brush covers over them while they're drying. BUT THESE CRAZY BOGUS BRUSHES BREAK IN HALF EVERY SINGLE TIME NO MATTER WHAT I DO.
*I have to clean these brushes more frequently than all of my other ones-it's like they absorb the product or something, which synthetic brushes aren't supposed to do.
*The hairs are very widespread, and I feel like that not only takes away from the coverage, but makes it more difficult to apply as well.

I have tried and tried to love this brush. I have applied every makeup product under the sun to try to find something it would work with, but alas, I still loathe it.

Some alternatives to this brush that I would recommend are of course anything from Sigma, but those crazy sons of nuggets over there have been raising the prices like mad! I'm pretty sure that's the work of the Devil though, like relax Satan. Just because your brushes are good doesn't mean we're going to offer you our limbs. (Get it?.....an arm and a leg.....? I should stop)

Anyways, I have gotten some awesome Sigma dupes on Ebay and they work like a charm, I highly recommend you look on there. I got a pack of 10 for about $20. Also Real Techniques has some great brushes that are relatively inexpensive, so those are some of my favorite alternatives,

Overall, is this brush okay for $3? Sure. Would I repurchase? Well I DID repurchase three times already, but I definitely wouldn't again. It's not a great brush, and throwing it away never fails to bring joy to my heart. :)

I seriously hate this brush.

on 12/5/2013 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

perfect brush for powder :) didnt really like it for liquid foundation but thats just me lol

on 11/15/2013 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is my favorite face brush of all time. You can use it for anything! It doesn't shed at all and it makes application flawless. I normally use it for liquid foundations & I think I'm going to end up purchasing another one of these to use with powder!

on 11/7/2013 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This brush = wow. I bought one for blending foundations and bb creams. Then went back to the store and bought 3 more so I can rotate them in between cleaning and for different products. I don't like it for powder but it works great for liquids IMO. It's soft, hasn't shed all over my face like other brushes and I have been using my first one daily for about 3 months. It doesn't absorb all your foundation so I don't waste product. Nice black handle and synthetic hairs. Cruelty-free.

No cons for me, absolutely adore!!

Popular Makeup Brushes