August 21, 2014 | 1167 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 8:43:00 PM More reviews by tigergirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love, love this with powders. It never breaks me out and I'm very sensitive. Really controls oil and gives me a smooth finish. I gave this a 4, since strangely it doesn't seem to work as well with my liquid foundations- no point in shelling out so much money for little effect. As I almost always wear powders, however, the oil control and enhanced wear is worth it. It's pricey, but I use such a tiny amount, it will last a long time. With Dior Flawless powder foundation, it's amazing! I have very sensitive skin, particularly to suncreen. Great job, hourglass!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2012 8:40:00 AM More reviews by cvasbinder1

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm not sure how I feel about this product. I bought it based on a sample from Sephora which I loved. At first this primer made my skin feel tight and dry but that seems to have abated. Now, after about a month of use I am seeing the whitish cast that reviewers below are talking about. Also, no matter how much I shake the bottle this product seems to have separated and is somewhat watery and oily feeling when I apply it. My skin looks great with it on but for $50 I think I'll look elsewhere when I finish the bottle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2012 1:09:00 AM More reviews by CG1981

I do not like primers and rarely use them, this just might convert me though. I was interested in the Hourglass line and I got a very generous sample of this from Sephora, the SA highly recommended this to me. I have used it once a week for about 2 months now (still have a lot more left) and I have to say, it definitely makes everything you put on your face STAY there. I used liquid foundation over it and blush. By the end of my work day my face still looked completely fresh, no t-zone oilies. I dont know if I would splurge and buy it though, I would rather splurge and get another product, since primers are not a must for me, but if you are looking for a great primer or have oily skin, this is great.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2012 10:36:00 PM More reviews by Loci80015

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hmmmm, don't get the hype on this one. It sounded too good to be true, and in my opinion it was!

The positive is that this does feel amazing (hence the extra star I gave it), as well as it being free of:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Phthalates

However, it just made my mineral makeup look awful. At first, the application is smooth and pretty and looks pretty good, but that did not last. I tried it out for an entire week and it made my makeup look clumpy and dry. It made my imperfections stand out even more and by the end of the day, my pores were really noticeable. I also agree about a whitish cast that it gives upon application. Didn't make me look ghost like per se but did make my makeup look lighter than the rest of my body (not the look I like to go for and felt I had to use more bronzer). I think it's perhaps better suited for liquid makeup? (Apparently not though based on other reviews). I am still trying to find a good primer under my mineral makeup. After trying all these high end products that fail, I may try Revlon Photoready primer and see if that one lives up to the hype.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2012 12:39:00 PM More reviews by judibean

I got a sample of this from Sephora and am glad I did before buying. I tried it under my faithful Colorstay foundation. When first applied, it looks great - pores are hidden and stays matte for a few hours. Then by midday, some shinyness comes through. This is usually when I blot, but when I do, suddenly my pores are completely highlighted by this ghastly ashy part of the primer (the mattifying agent, I'm guessing) and my makeup is ruined! This primer is great for someone with fewer pore issues than I.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2012 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Juliasyji

I had to return this. I got this for 60 dollars (canadian) at sephora. Initially I was excited to try this. It felt AMAZING when I tested it on the back on my hand at the store and it does feel super smooth when u first put it on your skin. However, that's pretty much about it for this primer.
For 60 dollars I expected more than the initial silky feeling (which u get from most silicon based primers).
The white cast some people mentioned are true. I went to get my passport picture taken with this on and my face has a whitish grey cast in the photo, the difference between my neck and my face was super noticeable and looked stupid.
It's been unseasonable hot lately here in Toronto (going up to 27 degrees last week) and I work in a studio with giant loft style windows that take in ALOT of sunlight and I tent to get hot while working due to the intense sunlight and sweat/ get shiny.
The primer did absolutely no oil/ shin control for me (on my dry combo skin).

oh and it says it's supposed to correct redness. It didn't (for me)

I've had much better for much cheaper.

It does come in a very elegant packaging and the SPF is a nice added bonus but just didn't work for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Lolaire2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I tried this based on the reviews here and I do not like this product. It feels great on the skin when you first apply it but I had the white cast on my face that others describe on this forum. What is worse it that instead of hiding my pores, it highlighted them (i have large pores on my cheeks) so much so that a friend that I have known for 13 years said "What's going on with your face today?" Let me add that I appreciate all the posts here and make sure when I post that I try the product for a few weeks. I also tried variations of one pump or two and even just spot treating. Nothing worked. Should also add that I have yet to find a primer I like. The search continues...

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2012 5:06:00 PM More reviews by yone311

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I think this primer is good for those with oily skin or for those who break out with a lot of silicone in whatever primers. I am over 55 and have dry skin. This product is as stated on the box... oil free, fragrance free, paraben free, sulfate free, etc... the word vegan is also used... however it DOES contain slilcone thus that "feel" is noticeable. I'm sure the amount of silicone is way less then say Urban Decay by the way the ingredients are listed. The white look that some reviewers mention is the zinc oxide which is an SPF. This product doesn't really work for me, however I can see where it would for many others. I am one of those that even using one pump, have a whitish look to my skin. I tried using one pump of this product on the back of my hand and Urban Decay on the back of my other hand. Hourglass had a whitish look to my skin and BOTH products had a waterproof like feel when I ran my hand under water. Both needed to be washed off with soap. I am not endorsing Urban Decay, just using it in comparison because it's so popular.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2012 1:20:00 PM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my 3rd repurchase since it launched. The comment that got me to try this ridiculously expensive primer in the first place made reference to the fact that it can prevent fading and creasing around the nose and eyes (I'm allergic to almost everything). It's true. Also, tho it is smoothing and illuminating, it blocks excessive shine and makes any foundation I wear over it look 10x better. It keeps my makeup on through all the sniffling, crying, hives, etc. It grabs concealer well around my eyes without ruining the finish or flaking. Blown away.

For the past month, I've been switching back to primers I enjoyed previously (MUFE HD, Smashbox Light, MAC P&P spf 50) and flat out wasn't satisfied. They either left my skin shiny or blocked my pores. So... I'm currently ruined for lesser primers. This is HG.

Edit: After reading other reviews, I feel it should be mentioned that I always wear CeraVe moisturizer under this. Force of habit since I'm paranoid about flaked skin when I go to put on foundation... flaky skin ruins everything. Primer doesn't replace moisturizer.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by sxxy0208

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

When I first bought this primer I was looking more to hide the medium-ish pores that have seemed to "grow" on my cheeks in recent months. As for hiding pores I do not find that veil mineral primer does this. It sat in my makeup bag for a few weeks unused but because of the price i wanted to give it another chance. After reading some reviews and trying it again I can appreciate the other qualities it offers. It does a great job of reducing shine and controlling oilies and feels great on the skin... Not as slippery as other primers that seems to also block off your pores and suffocate your face. As for being worth the price I do not think it is necessarily amazing enough to warrant spending the cash but it is a nice product. I also have acne prone skin and this did not give me breakouts or any other negative reactions which I have experienced with some other products.