L'Oreal Infallible Lip Gloss

3.5

Trimethylsiloxyphenyl dimethicone, octyldodecanol, isododecane, acrylic acid/isobutyl, acrylate/isobornyl acrylate copolymer, squalane, polybutene, silica dimethyl sililate, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica, isopropylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, arginine pca, tocopheryl acetate, pentaeryththrityl tetraisostearate, calcium sodium borosilicate, hydroxypalmitoyl sphinganine, synthetic fluorphlogopite, polyehtylene terephthalate, polymethyl methacrylate, tin oxide, sodium chondroitin sulfate, atelocollagen, parfum.

on 7/2/2008 10:04:00 AM

I'm actually suprised this didn't get a higher rating, but I guess to each is own...Anyway, I purchased two of these- Petal, and Coral Sands. They are both perfect colors. I will review each color individually though, and talk mainly about the gloss itself in this review.

I really love the formula- it isn't in the least bit sticky or tacky or gluey or goopy feeling. I have tried probably a couple hundred glosses (no kidding) and I have never encountered a formula quite like the one in Infallible Gloss. It's hard to describe, but I love it. It's almost hard to believe that it actually is a gloss, because of how long it stays put. A lipgloss on me typically stays on for about an hour, tops. Maybe it's because I lick my lips alot, or maybe everything else I have tried just sucks, haha, but this one is truly different.

I always use a lip balm before applying any lip products, so I usually don't get the drying effects. I have been using Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm lately as a base.

I have noticed alot of complaints about the doe foot applicator as well, but I LOVE it. It's a bit larger than a typical doe foot applicator, which is perfect for my lips. It goes on quite nicely.

It doesn't stay on the 6 hours it promises too- but then again, I never expected it to. BUT, it does stay on for about 3 hours, which is shocking in itself, since I never have a gloss stay on that long.

All in all, I love this gloss, possibly more than MAC Lipglasses. I will probably be picking up a lot more in the future. The only thing is the price is a little high for a drugstore brand, but I know everything is more expensive these days...It really sucks, I know, but there isn't much we can do about the price...I paid about $8 for these.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Picked up two of these today at Walgreen's as they were BOGO. I chose the colors Suede and Petal. First of all, Petal is exactly the same color as my favorite, but now discontinued, Chanel Glossimer in Black Tie. So, Petal was an obvious choice for me, and Suede looked like a really pretty neutral. As soon as I got in the car, I opened Petal and put it on. I let the first coat dry for about a minute and added a second coat. I really liked the way this gloss looked. Really shiny and pretty. I did notice that is a little sticky, but that doesn't really bother me. I drove to take my boyfriend some coffee, and he immediately commented on the lipgloss ;) .

After I got home, I tried on Suede. I LOVE it. The color is so pretty and looked fantastic.

Staying power: I thought it was pretty darn great for a GLOSS. I had it on for about 3 hours before I touched it up. During this time I had eaten and had a coffee. The color was still there, just some of the glossiness had faded.

Formula: I don't find this to be as sticky as Mac Lipglass or Lancome Juicy Tubes. I actually prefer the texture of this gloss to either of those. I find it very similar in texture to Chanel Glossimer.

Taste/Smell: It does not have a taste and I found the smell to be very minimal and not cloying at all.

Colors: A great selection of colors! Very wearable.

Packaging: Love it. The tube is very pretty. The cap is mirrored. The doe foot applicator was comfortable and easy to use. Made for a very precise application.

Con: It does gather a bit on the insides of my lips, but I did find that if I put on lip balm prior to applying the gloss, it did not. The staying power was cut down a bit, but it's a gloss--you're going to have to reapply if you want to keep it shiny.

Repurchase? Definitely. In fact, I may go back to Walgreen's and pick up two more today, while it's still on sale.

on 6/22/2008 4:57:00 PM

Not a great product - doesn't have the staying power and it invariably ends up on my teeth (I don't have that problem w/ other glosses.) Also, too sticky for my tastes. I much prefer Revlon's Colorstay Mineral Lipglaze.

02/06/09 UPDATE: Ok - I am reversing my original opinion - I do actually like these - don't know if I got a bad one the 1st time or not, but now, I own like 5 of these colors and as long as I swipe my inner lower lip after application, I have no more problems w/ product on my teeth. Color ends up fading very gradually and evenly over a period of 3 hours so that's a pretty good staying power IMO for a gloss. It is still pricey for a ds brand, but I actually do like them!!

I have/have used the following colors which are all flattering to my light complexion w/ blonde hair, blue eyes: Truffle, Undeniable Mauve, Rebel Red, Raisin and Modern Mauve.

on 6/22/2008 3:08:00 PM

I had the same experience: little flakes of skin, super-stickiness and not long lasting at all! Definitely not worth it. I much prefer Revlon's colorstay Lipglaze.

on 6/12/2008 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I owned this for all of about 45 minutes the other day. I bought it (I can't even remember what colour but it was kind of a coral-rose), immediately put it on (onto clean lips) and walked the mall for a while. It was on the sticky side to begin with and I soon began to feel little sticky bits of something whenever I opened my mouth so I looked in a mirror and saw that the lip gloss had gathered and formed into little gooey globs on the inside edges of my lips. It looked like I had rose-coloured thrush! Horrible! I scurried back to the store and returned it. Quite disgusting! The colour wasn't very nice either. There wasn't any testers and the colour of the tube wasn't very true to the colour of the product on my lips. It made my lip colour overly peachy and kind of blah. It wasn't very cheap either... about $11, I think.

on 6/6/2008 2:01:00 PM

I got this in the color raisin. It is a sheer YLBB shade for me (medium skin, pigmented lips, dark hair). While it does not last me 6 hours, it lasts far better than any gloss I have ever owned (including high end brands). It has a slight berry flavor, which I did not mind. After several hours it starts to wear off and is not as glossy, but some color remains. It does wear off evenly and does not look weird. The applicator looks strange, but I found it effective to use. It has not dried out my lips, but I don't have much of a problem with that. I will probably buy more shades.

on 6/6/2008 1:59:00 PM

I love the color, I bought "Sangria" its the perfect berry color that I wanted. The only problem is that this dries out my lips so badly that little pieces of skin actually fall off throughout the day....sexy, huh?
It doesn't matter if I put on 2 or even 3 coats, then it just gets sticky and feels even worse on my lips. If I put on a light coating off lip gloss before applying it then it just kind of slides off.
Won't buy again. I carry it in my m/u bag so I can compare the color to other glosses if I'm shopping

on 5/31/2008 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Sticky on the lips. The colors are pretty but the smell also bothers me.
I do like the way it looks on, but I have to apply one coat let it set, then a second coat usually gives the coverage I like. The price is too high for the quality.

on 5/27/2008 3:05:00 PM

I bought this product in Sangria. I don't normally wear lip gloss because I hate having to constantly reapply it. When I saw the ad for this I thought I would give it a try.
I was actually quite impressed with it. It is very, very sheer so if you want color you may want to use a lip liner and put this over top. I put it on in the middle of the afternoon and even after eating bbq'd ribs for dinner it was still on that evening and I finally had to remove it with cold cream!
It is quite sticky on but so is regular lip gloss so that really doesn't bother me. I did not find it pilled up at all but I am always conscious of my lipstick or lip gloss when I am eating or drinking so I am very careful with it and didn't give it the opportunity to clump up on me. It did stay fairly glossy as well. It maybe went slightly matte after two or three hours but never truly lost its shine.
Overall, I would recommend this lip gloss. Its not the be all end all of lip glosses but it does generally stay put for hours at a time if you don't abuse it.

on 5/23/2008 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

The gloss looked beautiful in the tube, but can out extremely sheer on my caramel skin tone, almost clear, which is why i wouldnt buy again. I wasnt really feeling the the applicator either - it did not enhance the product at all. Of course I wasnt expecting it to last 6 hours, but it barely lasted six minutes! I will still wear, just so I wont waste the money, but I would not repurchase because the color did not show up on me.

Recommended for Medium Skin