July 29, 2014 | 1937 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by macquadisiac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

AWFUL! Clumpy, heavy, chunky, piece of crap! It actually does smell like roses (how weird!) but not in a pleasant way. I really wish I hadn't ever purchased this. I am giving it to my roomie because she wants to try it for some bizarre reason, but I doubt she will like it either. What a waste. Will update.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2009 6:43:00 PM More reviews by polkadotsz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This mascara thickens, but not so much keep its curl
it lengthens too
but not as good as lash blast
the packaging is like lash blast.
but not as good.
i recommend though
it gives good volume and thickening

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2009 11:16:00 AM More reviews by baycoralore

I was bought by many positive reviews and..so stupid..advertising.

It is really nothing special. I have long natural lashes, so I can buy practically any mascara to achieve more or less okay look. So that's why I always look for something exceptional. To be honest, I haven't found any yet, so I keep looking.

As for this mascara, I will not buy it again, it just doesn't stand out. To my mind lashes look too "wet", though it gives volume.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2009 10:52:00 AM More reviews by ASaner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This gives great length and volume, but it clumps horribly ~ if not for that, this would be perfect!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2009 4:43:00 AM More reviews by fromsmithwlove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My HG mascara, and I've tried them all. Absolutely love this! I used to be a big fan of the XXL mascaras from Maybelline, but I'm on my third tube of Colossal and I doubt I'll go back for a while! Gives great color, great separation, great thickening, it's just one of those mascaras that can really do it all. I don't need a lot of lengthening as my lashes are already pretty long, so I'm always looking for something thickening. I'm not sure if this is the greatest if you're looking for a lengthening mascara even though it claims to do that well. If you're looking for thick-looking lashes this one's a good bet. I like it both in Classic and Glam Black.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2009 1:07:00 AM More reviews by fluffeesquirrel

Prior to purchasing this mascara, I was extremely hesitant; and it's for a couple reasons: 1) I'm very prone to impulse buying (names, packaging, and newness draw me in FAST) and 2) I've heard such mixed reviews about it (regarding flaking, quality, and most of all SMELL). After doing some research, I decided to finally purchase it- today. It is currently 1AM and I've been wearing it for 10 hours in the humid Florida sun out and about- at a kid's birthday party, all over. No flaking. When I opened it, I did notice a faint smell... it wasn't good, but it also wasn't bad. It went away as soon as it went on pretty much- another pro. The last and probably most important- it made my lashes look amazing. Probably not 9X better... but come on. I'm part Asian on my dad's side and my mom just has terrible eyelashes- you can see my dilemma. This stuff not only added the promised volume, but it also made them appear longer. I highly recommend it, it's a good price and good quality; and if the smell is too much or you find you don't like it- then just return it. Wal*Mart takes anything back! Definitely worth at least a try.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2009 7:10:00 PM More reviews by calif_maki

I tried this because it was bogof, I got the waterproof one. It did not add volume to my lashes - I had to swipe it on 3-4x to get a good volume (well I have fine lashes so maybe it was just me but I've had better experiences with others like Lashblast and Rimmel's Extra Super Lash). It did lengthen my lashes a bit but nothing special.

What's so bad about it for me is that I've never experienced more bits of black stuff falling on my face during the day at work than with this. I look at the mirror in the restroom and notice "what's that black stuff on my face?" as if someone drew a black faded line on my face. I might've accidentally rubbed on that part of my face when a bit of black stuff from my eyelash (the fibers or particles of the mascara) fell on it already. And it doesn't happen only once, I always found something everytime I went to the restroom. That is so not good!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/5/2009 11:48:00 AM More reviews by hair2show

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Bought this at Walgreens, 2 for 1. I just see ALL these rave reviews so I thought..."Oh good! If I like it, now I have two". I opened the package....palms all sweaty...I felt like I was going on a first date! I thought "I wonder how this is going to work? Is this REALLY going to give me those long juicy lashes? Why am I so nervous to try this?" lol I held the tube. "Wow, this is quite chunky!" Opened it up, saw the wand "Nothing special...fat as hell!" Applied one coat "meh.... I have had drug store mascaras that deliver more, but nice for a one coat mascara for work.... just put one coat on and your good, that's a plus". "What is that smell?" Guess I really just looked at people wish lists and how they LOVED this mascara and didn't really read the reviews! "This reminds me of something...something when I was a child...hmmmm". It was lilacs! Not that it is bad, but on your eyes? Different, but doesn't take away or add to the product. OK, I let the first coat dry (what a "no no"...I knew I should have read the package! lol). Applied the rest of the coats fast enough to not let them dry (this dries pretty quick so I am not a fan of this "let's rush to put this on QUICK" business.). Overall, after all was said and done, I think this is best for just ONE coat for the day, I don't know if I want to chance this tonight for "Girls Night Out" because this is NOT the kind of formula you can go back and correct! Personally, I will NEVER give up on my Voluminous by L'oreal or my NEWEST HG Rimmel Extra Super Lash. Not impressed with the clumps I got with this and the stiffness. I will try this on a night I am NOT going out just for kicks and giggles with a SPEEDY hand to see if it is to my liking. A 3...I will put the other one on swap!
For reference "Glam Black" - NON waterproof

edit - After this review, I decided since I was only going to my sons soccer game and had no makeup on, to try it again. FAT FAT FAT brush!!! If you are trying to put more coats on BE CAREFUL, OTHERWISE you are going to have "black eyeliner on top" (if ya know what I mean! Time to get my brown powder eyeliner and blend the top...may as well go full force makeup! lol).

Not my idea of a "workable" mascara....IDK. I might put this up for swap too...

edit EDIT - My lashes smell pretty!!!! lol That's all I can smell! You better like Lilacs!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2009 2:29:00 AM More reviews by EmmaJohnson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this mascara for about five months now, and so far I have no complaints whatsoever! I use the shade "Glam Black", which adds a lot of drama to my eyes. It's a great volumizer, and it provides amazing length too! I hardly ever get any clumps, but when I do, they're easily removed with an eyelash comb. I don't particularly like the smell, but it's bearable. I like the brightly colored packaging as well. And for its low price, I think this mascara is absolutely fantastic. I'll be repurchasing again and again!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by Team6Jacobson

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am very surprised at all of the negative reviews for this product- I loved it! Other then the wierd smell, which I don't find unpleasant or gross- just uneeded. This mascara comes with a really lovely brush that build dramatically thicker lashes with just one swipe and I find it really, really buildable- within about 5 swipes my lashes look INCREDIBLE! The packaging is pretty stat, other then the ugly yellow tube. This is my HG, go to mascara because it is dark, dramatic, and buildible to incredible volume.

HG for me!