August 27, 2014 | 1732 users online

Mascara - BeneFit Cosmetics - They're Real

rated 3 of 5 on 8/22/2011 12:14:00 PM More reviews by mrscassizzlesparkles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I think this mascara will be great for someone who has fuller lashes to start out with. I have fine lashes that are on the shorter side, and while this mascara *does* make them look a mile long, it does nothing for volume which is what I really need.
I've worn this mascara every day for 2 weeks and the pointed tip of the wand does nothing but make clumps worse. I've watched a handful of tutorials on making the tip work, and it does nothing for me.
The good thing about this mascara is that it does last all day and I can wear it when I workout and I don't look like a hot mess afterward. I also noticed a small amount of curl and lift with this mascara, without curling my lashes prior to application.
All in all, I would say that this is a good mascara, but for me it's not great. I'll use up the rest of my tube for everyday occasions, but at $20+ a pop, I won't buy this one again. I can get the same amount of length PLUS volume with Fairydrops for a similar price.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2011 7:44:00 PM More reviews by Lisa71

I'm a mascara junkie I'm always looking for bigger and better when it comes to mascara and lashes!! My faves are Dior Show, Lancome Def, and a combo of Loreal Telescopic with Collagen Volume. Still I always stray to experiment with new mascaras. I got this free from Sephora and I love it!! They said it took three years to come up with this who knew mascara science was so complicated. This really makes my lashes look incredible and fake in a good way.My lashes naturally curl up so no need to curl before I apply but if you do curl before the effect is stunning. My lashes are average length and not that thick. When I put this on it's like instant doll eyes. Just wish it werent so expensive. I would definatey buy again if I had the money because for me this works really well. Be prepared because if this mascara works for you people will think you have fake lashes so the name is appropriate

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 12:43:00 PM More reviews by Neume

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For all the Asian ladies with our cursed stubby, downward facing lashes, this is not the solution. This only looks the way it claims if you are already blessed with relatively long, full lashes. I have seen it look wonderful on my friends, but on me, it's a hot mess. It clumps, does next to nothing for curl, volume, and length. Many drugstore mascaras have performed better for me for half the price.

So if you have difficult lashes, I would say stay away from this. However, if your lashes are already long and pretty, this will really give you the "oomph" that will make them look like falsies.

Only upside is that the staying power is amazing. Didn't smudge or flake on me at all, comes off when I want to take it off. However, a lot of drugstore mascaras can do this too (ie. CG lashblast), so I'll be sticking to those. "They're Real" is a miss for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2011 2:59:00 AM More reviews by mneiai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I hate to say it, but this is really good. I didn't want to believe it and all the pre-release pics on beauty blogs made it look awful. Because who wants to like an expensive mascara, right? But I slipped it into a huge Sephora order my sister was doing and got to try it for free lol

I'll preface this by saying I have thick, extremely long lashes. I know some people complain like "why do you a-holes review mascara?" (yes, I've seen some ridiculously angry people comment on it lol) but it's not like people with great skin don't wear foundation, y'know? And no matter how good our lashes are, I think we all believe they can get better!

So, anyway, I can't say this improves length any, but it does make my lashes thicker and makes their length stand out quite a bit more. It also looks very natural and if you only do one to two coats they don't stick together much at all (the real problem with thick lashes--half the mascaras on the market immediately give me doll eyes).

The formula is a little on the dry side, but I found it only flakes if you try to build it up after it's dried too much. The brush is great, very easy to use, and I even like the packaging, which is sleek and sets it apart from most of my other mascaras.

I'd describe it as a nice, everyday, comfortable sort of mascara.

Is it worth $20+? No, I don't think many mascaras are, though. I may buy it again, if I have the spare cash and no immediate lemmings, but I won't go out of my way to get it. It's definitely nicer than BadGal, though, if you like Benefit but don't like that.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Susanner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Edit Oct. 1: I persevered with this and am loving the results. The trick for me is to put on two thin coats which does not cause the clumping I experienced in the beginning. I still hate the ball on the end because you can't get the outer and inner corners which may stop me from buying it again but I'm loving the full, full lashes it gives me.
______________

My lashes are very long but somewhat fine and downward pointing. One day before I went to the gym I decided to try this mascara without curling my lashes first which is something I absolutely cannot do because it looks ridiculous. To my surprise this actually lifted my lashes to the point to sticking out straight instead of pointing downward.....only people with lashes like mine will understand this :( . It didn't give me enough curl for everyday but I didn't have to remove it to go to the gym. People with curly, or slightly curly lashes may get fabulous results.

All of that being said, it clumps no matter how I use it and it kind of makes my lashes go in different directions. I also don't like the spiked ball on the end of the wand because it's just too large for getting into the very inner corner lashes. I did not find it hard to remove but I always soften my mascara with a tiny bit of water before using remover just to dissolve it. I'm just not impressed especially for the price. It may work better for people with thick lashes. Would not repurchase and may return it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2011 3:48:00 AM More reviews by naomiroe77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My lashes are so long, thick and straight that eyelash curlers do almost nothing for me. I came across the Benefit counter in Myers in Sydney and tried this mascara and I fell in love instantly. My eyelashes had curled, looked amazing and now I use it everyday. I work 10 and a half hour shifts and it doesn't smudge or budge at all. I went to Price Attack today to buy hair products and the saleslady told me that she didn't know whether it was my makeup but my eyes looked great. I had minimal eyeshadow and am dark skinned so I knew it was the mascara. I gave her details as I doubt the Benefit brand will make it to the shops in my town. I've ordered 2 more on-line so I never run out. Too bad Benefit Cosmetics don't offer express international mail cause it's taking forever.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/17/2011 3:48:00 PM More reviews by butterflylcsw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my favorite mascara. It stays on all day, doesn't flake or smudge. There are a couple trade-offs for the benefits (no pun intended) of this mascara. One, is that it is a little more difficult to work with than most mascaras, and the texture is different. It's a little sticky for a while after you apply it. Some have found it difficult to remove, but I think it's actually easier because it doesn't 'run' like other mascaras I feel like I can get it all off instead of leaving black residue around my eyes.

If you can handle those trade off's, this is the best mascara ever. I've never, ever had a mascara last all day like this. It looks just as good when I'm taking it off as when I put it on. And in my 38 years of being a makeup junkie (well, 26ish) I've never had that happen. Try it! Be patient with it, because its' worth it.

edit: didn't last very long before it started getting really thick in the tube and clumpy on my lashes. I can't afford to buy it as often as I feel like I would have to due to this.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2011 2:31:00 PM More reviews by deborahmiller1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite mascara by far! I am a mascara junkie and I feel like I have dropped tons in search for the perfect mascara. This does everything I am looking for. I personally get a lot of volume AND a lot of length with this mascara. And I love the dramatic black color. Don't be fooled by the first coat, it definitely needs at least two coats to see what it can do. The only reason why I did not give the product straight 5's is because it does tend to clump a bit but that does not bother me much. The look I get is well worth it! Until this my favorite was Loreal Voluminous in Carbon Black, but They're Real blows that one out of the water. This is a must have!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2011 4:55:00 AM More reviews by timothybcat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

HG mascara for me! I whipped this out in the car right after buying, hollering for joy at the very first swipe. All these tiny lashes I didn't know I had appeared from out of nowhere! I have long curly lashes, but I find that they are rather sparse and I need volume, and this delivered. One warning: it gets rather sticky, meaning it CLINGS to lashes, but I don't mind that because it keeps the product on my lashes and nowhere else. Let me put it this way: it makes my lashes so long and full (and adheres so well) that my top lashes get tangled with the bottom ones if I'm not careful when I first apply. I'll leave it to you to weigh the pros and cons of that aspect. Someone compared it unfavorably to CG Lashblast, but I was never too impressed with Lashblast, so it's obviously a matter of opinion. It seems that people either love or hate They're Real. But I love it, and hope it works as well for you as it does for me. UPDATE: Months later, and this is still my HG. I have the original tube I bought months ago (you're saying ewww if you're one of those who tosses things on schedule), and it's not dried up; so in my book, it's worth the $22. I've re-bought Lashblast and Voluminous but they don't even come close. I really have no idea how people can compare them. It must come down to what kind of lashes you're born with.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2011 2:50:00 PM More reviews by Mheang

I got a sample of this mascara at sephora and I'm glad I didn't splurge on the full-size one. Although the packaging is great and the brush design is really innovative, this mascara clumps soooo much on me. I don't have that many lashes so maybe that's why, but I still don't recommend it to anyone, there are so many amazing mascaras out there..