April 16, 2014 | 1616 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 2 of 5 on 9/5/2009 7:10:00 PM More reviews by calif_maki

I tried this because it was bogof, I got the waterproof one. It did not add volume to my lashes - I had to swipe it on 3-4x to get a good volume (well I have fine lashes so maybe it was just me but I've had better experiences with others like Lashblast and Rimmel's Extra Super Lash). It did lengthen my lashes a bit but nothing special.

What's so bad about it for me is that I've never experienced more bits of black stuff falling on my face during the day at work than with this. I look at the mirror in the restroom and notice "what's that black stuff on my face?" as if someone drew a black faded line on my face. I might've accidentally rubbed on that part of my face when a bit of black stuff from my eyelash (the fibers or particles of the mascara) fell on it already. And it doesn't happen only once, I always found something everytime I went to the restroom. That is so not good!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2009 11:48:00 AM More reviews by hair2show

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Bought this at Walgreens, 2 for 1. I just see ALL these rave reviews so I thought..."Oh good! If I like it, now I have two". I opened the package....palms all sweaty...I felt like I was going on a first date! I thought "I wonder how this is going to work? Is this REALLY going to give me those long juicy lashes? Why am I so nervous to try this?" lol I held the tube. "Wow, this is quite chunky!" Opened it up, saw the wand "Nothing special...fat as hell!" Applied one coat "meh.... I have had drug store mascaras that deliver more, but nice for a one coat mascara for work.... just put one coat on and your good, that's a plus". "What is that smell?" Guess I really just looked at people wish lists and how they LOVED this mascara and didn't really read the reviews! "This reminds me of something...something when I was a child...hmmmm". It was lilacs! Not that it is bad, but on your eyes? Different, but doesn't take away or add to the product. OK, I let the first coat dry (what a "no no"...I knew I should have read the package! lol). Applied the rest of the coats fast enough to not let them dry (this dries pretty quick so I am not a fan of this "let's rush to put this on QUICK" business.). Overall, after all was said and done, I think this is best for just ONE coat for the day, I don't know if I want to chance this tonight for "Girls Night Out" because this is NOT the kind of formula you can go back and correct! Personally, I will NEVER give up on my Voluminous by L'oreal or my NEWEST HG Rimmel Extra Super Lash. Not impressed with the clumps I got with this and the stiffness. I will try this on a night I am NOT going out just for kicks and giggles with a SPEEDY hand to see if it is to my liking. A 3...I will put the other one on swap!
For reference "Glam Black" - NON waterproof

edit - After this review, I decided since I was only going to my sons soccer game and had no makeup on, to try it again. FAT FAT FAT brush!!! If you are trying to put more coats on BE CAREFUL, OTHERWISE you are going to have "black eyeliner on top" (if ya know what I mean! Time to get my brown powder eyeliner and blend the top...may as well go full force makeup! lol).

Not my idea of a "workable" mascara....IDK. I might put this up for swap too...

edit EDIT - My lashes smell pretty!!!! lol That's all I can smell! You better like Lilacs!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2009 2:29:00 AM More reviews by EmmaJohnson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this mascara for about five months now, and so far I have no complaints whatsoever! I use the shade "Glam Black", which adds a lot of drama to my eyes. It's a great volumizer, and it provides amazing length too! I hardly ever get any clumps, but when I do, they're easily removed with an eyelash comb. I don't particularly like the smell, but it's bearable. I like the brightly colored packaging as well. And for its low price, I think this mascara is absolutely fantastic. I'll be repurchasing again and again!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2009 11:29:00 PM More reviews by Team6Jacobson

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am very surprised at all of the negative reviews for this product- I loved it! Other then the wierd smell, which I don't find unpleasant or gross- just uneeded. This mascara comes with a really lovely brush that build dramatically thicker lashes with just one swipe and I find it really, really buildable- within about 5 swipes my lashes look INCREDIBLE! The packaging is pretty stat, other then the ugly yellow tube. This is my HG, go to mascara because it is dark, dramatic, and buildible to incredible volume.

HG for me!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/3/2009 4:20:00 PM More reviews by xenamarie

This mascara does build long, thick lashes quickly, but I'll never repurchase it because I can't get past the scent. I expected it to evaporate when it dried, but it lingered all day long, a terrible chemical scent! I'm going back to Volum' Express.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2009 2:16:00 AM More reviews by summ83

I love this mascara!

To be honest i think all of the people complaining about it simply arent applying it correctly.

It gives alot of volume and great length, though i do at times find the large brush a little clumsy, (I'm used to the newer rubber brushes now) it's well worth the extra few seconds it takes to perfect the application.

Never flakes, smudges and stays put all day. Simply lovely.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2009 1:27:00 AM More reviews by tina1wina13

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this mascara! It has gotten a bad rep and I don't understand why? I think some people just really don't know how to apply mascara well, you are not supposed to apply so much, if that is the matter almost all mascaras will begin to clump

Anyway, it makes my lashes HUGE. I love the brush, large brush, good formula that doesn't make my eyes water like some mascaras ( cough * mark. make it big mascara cough*)

Anyway, it is really nice.

Some people said it had a scent to it? I SERIOUSLY never noticed after going through a couple of bottles of theese then I purchased one to smell it and it does sort of have a beer/rose sent which is kinda wierd but I mean I never even noticed, who smells mascara anyway? lol.

Anyway I LOVE this product bunches!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2009 12:19:00 AM More reviews by jenni1129

Let me start by saying it was an okay mascara. I love big, dramatic, fat lashes so I usually get voluminous and thickening mascaras. This mascara gave me long, thick lashes. With a little bit of clumping. But I believe that thickening mascaras should do that a bit. I kinda like the clumpy look, so that wasn't an issue. It does smudge when you apply it. When I apply it I always get smudges on my eyelid and brow bone. But with a tissue it wipes off. Overall, pretty good mascara. But not the best.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/1/2009 2:34:00 PM More reviews by annehelge

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

No, no, no, no, no.

This is everything I do NOT want from a mascara:
- it makes your lashes look like big lumpy sticks of licorice
- it makes them stick together so you actually seem to have FEWER lashes than before
- it smells horrible, and the smell seems to linger (someone mentioned rose smell - I beg to differ, it is a nasty chemical stink)
- your lashes will feel crispy / crunchy
- it feels like it weighs on your lashes

On the plus side, it is really black.

And, even though I cannot imagine someone actually WANTS big lumpy licorice-stick lashes, my eyes prove me wrong every day.

So, for the ladies who want volume at any price, this is for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2009 5:57:00 PM More reviews by Rebaybay

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Pro.> I really like this mascara ,
It gives you the fuller, longer , thicker lashes as promise ! (:
I immediately noticed that once it was put on ,
But some other things I noticed is that ,
Con.> It clumps sometimes when i don't put it on fast enough ,
which is okay because I'm a first-time user so its not surprising i put on mascara on a little slower then you guys do.
Also, there is that "Weird Rose Scent" :X