December 21, 2014 | 1758 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2003 9:12:00 PM More reviews by moonsista

This is my HG moisturizer right now - I needed something not drugstore-ish and something a little more high quality for my 35 yr. old skin. I like the texture - sort of whipped and fluffy but not heavy and not too light either. It sinks into the skin easily and quickly, and does not clog my pores or make my skin oily.

The only drawback is the smell. Someone else described it as a "wet dog" smell in their review - I agree. It does have a faint "wet dog" smell. I have noticed, over time though, that this has faded as my jar of Hope In A Jar has become nearly a year old. (I put it away in favor of using Origins and Aveeno moisturizers for nearly a year). By the way - this jar of Hope In A Jar is just fine a year later and works as well as it did a year ago! continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2003 1:00:00 PM More reviews by witt2264

This is Step 2 of my routine after using Philosophy Real Purity cleanser. This is my HG moisturizer and since switching to this my skin has never looked better. Philosophy promotes "makeup optional skin" after continued use of the skincare line, and I can honestly say that has been the case with me. I generally use Hope in a Jar at night and Hope in a Bottle (for oily skin) in the morning under makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2003 1:31:00 AM More reviews by scarlettallison1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This moisturizer is wonderful! The smell is definitely not glamorous, but, fortunately, it fades after a few minutes. Another reader suggested that the smell in the container itself fades as the product is used, and I've found this to be absolutely true. I've had the moisturizer for several months and now it just smells like unscented face cream, rather than the strong, odd smell I first noticed. If used with Save Me (which smells good) at night, you have a wonderful anti-aging, skin clearing and softening mixture. My skin looks great and does not break out or get too greasy when I use this product. This is an excellent under-makeup moisturizer for those of us with combination skin. I think Philosophy is the best cosmetic company we have here in the U.S!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2003 7:57:00 PM More reviews by kensbarbie1017

THis stuff is great. I have it in dry/sensetive skin. It gives moisture withought feeling greasy, and dosen't make me break out1

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2003 12:31:00 PM More reviews by efrey14

I love this product. I know many people either love it or hate it, but for me, nothing else has given me such great skin so quickly. Some complain about its scent but I find it almost Lavender like, and the texture never fails to moisturize. I will never buy another moisturizer again. Seriously!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/25/2003 7:24:00 AM More reviews by cozzoli

I put on a sample this morning. Perked my skin up and gave a nice glow, but two hours later, I can already feel small bumps coming up on my chin and nose. Too oily for combo skin. Gotta go wash it off. Would not buy the full size product.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2003 11:28:00 AM More reviews by apples

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like Hope in a Jar a LOT because it is not only a good moisturizer, but an effective treatment product which leaves my skin glowing. I really don't need very much product to cover my face, so 1 jar lasts quite a long time.

It doesn't have an SPF, so I either use a foundation with SPF or sunblock over the Hope in a Jar. I use Hope in a Jar day or night, sometimes both.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2003 10:48:00 PM More reviews by geographer

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This was another bad product with bad results for me. It absolutely stinks-I actually had to get up from bed to wash it off because I couldn't sleep due to the smell on my face. Still, I tried it again and again. It broke me out horribly. YUCK.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2003 11:22:00 PM More reviews by JGardella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I received a sample of this with my latest Sephora order and I was so excited to try it. My skin is very sensitive and lately it's been a bit dry. My skin stays clear so I don't bother with foundation or powder.

I applied this in the morning and then went to work. Within 30 minutes of applying this my skin felt very oily. Infact, my face was so oily and greasy from this lotion that my hair that frames the sides of my face actually got oily from touching my face. Ewwwwwwwwwwww! That has never happened before. When I got home work I noticed the oily end of my hair (which is NEVER oily) and I had the beginnings of several pimples where I had applied the lotion on my forehead, chin, and cheeks.

Grrrrrrrrreat. Stay away from this one!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/9/2003 12:53:00 AM More reviews by MegAna

I also got the lovely allover face rash which itched like crazy. I returned it for a full refund. The only good thing was that a week after the rash my skin looked great - it was like a chemical peel!