September 20, 2014 | 929 users online

Moisturizers - La Mer - Creme de la mer moisturizer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2002 9:19:00 PM More reviews by NancyM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

Biggest...Ripoff...Ever

I have your average, run-of-the-mill combination skin. It's showing some signs of aging so I decided to give this a try. The scent is the first thing that put me off -- it definitely reminds me of my mean, old grandmother.

The reason it's such a ripoff is that it didn't do anything for my skin. It didn't make it worse, but it didn't make it better. For what they're charging, I would expect drastically better skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2002 11:57:00 PM More reviews by shannong

I received a sample of this from a nice SA in Sak's last yr and sort of forgot about it until I had some horrible seasonal allergies that caused lots of dryness around my eyes this past spring. In desparation I gave it a try as an undereye cream and I loved it so much I went out the next wk and bought the 2 oz. jar. I have used it every night since late Feb. and I still have well over half a jar left. I do not know if I will repurchase however, as I am sure there is a lower priced alternative.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2002 11:14:00 PM More reviews by jibunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I slather this on every night and it completely hydrates my skin. It never makes me break out, which is rare for such a heavy cream. well worth the money since it lasts FOREVER and i'd highly recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2002 11:01:00 PM More reviews by Janine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have a love-hate relationship with this product. While it did made my skin look clearer and fade some of my acne scars and reduced my pores size but it also gave me blackheads and breakouts in some areas of my face.

My friends have commented that my skin does look better now (I did not tell them that I was using this). Then again, I did go for Intense Pulse Light treatment so could be the results of that..

I've learned to adjust the amount of cream I put on my face. Putting it on areas that need it and it does work so much better now.I use this only at night unless the weather is really dry in the day. But its really a chore as I need to put some other moisturiser on my other parts of the face.

Really good for dry weather; that's when I get all the skin flakes.
I'm still having mixed feelings about this.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2002 10:29:00 PM More reviews by critiquette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Crappy & Ugly packaging!!! But oh how I love this cream. Not that it actually takes away wrinkles, fades spots, diminish acne, heals scars, firms, or depuffs. It doesn't do any of that. In fact, it just moisturizes and takes care of the crepeiness I get on expression areas, for a short period of time... I think its main function is Anti-irritant/soothing, which is a universal property of the dirt-cheap seaweed/algae family. It takes away all the redness and rashes that I often get. Even though the cream doesn't do much, somehow it really makes me feel better about my skin and thus I love this cream! Irrational huh? But that's how women rate skin care products and how the industry makes money! Ha.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/6/2002 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Hollyandivy73

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I admit it, I bought into the hype. Going to my source (eBay) I bid on a sample pack of Creme De La Mer. I anxiously awaited the arrival of the package, driving the mailman nuts in the process. Finally it arrived, I sprinted up the stairs, ripped open the package and stared at the tiny pots of cosmetic "gold." I followed the instructions to a T. Warming b/ween my fingers, then pat, pat, pat. I went to bed hoping to wake-up transformed. I was transformed all right, into a big zit. Horrified I vowed never to go near this product again, but curiosity drew me in about 3 weeks later. I gave it another shot and zits, zits, zits. Thinking I could come out ahead in this situation I bought a bottle of the oil-free, not only did it make my make-up look horrid after application, it gave me zits as well! Estee Lauder can keep this seaweed infested "Miracle."

rated 2 of 5 on 11/4/2002 7:19:00 PM More reviews by sls99

I take very good care of my skin and as a 30 something I am not ready for this product. It is meant for skin that is in a corrective stage not preventative.Too much hype.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2002 11:41:00 AM More reviews by 2westies

After all the hoo-hah, I felt compelled to try this cream. One jar lasted a year and honestly, I don't get it; for so much money, this product is just average. But it does have a comforting, grandmotherly type scent. One major benefit I need to add however, this cream has a wonderfully soothing and restorative effect on severely dry, chapped "winter" skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2002 9:33:00 AM More reviews by OriginalBarbie

My skin has a more even tone after I use this, and I break out less often. I'm not crazy about its scent, but I can live with it. I'm in my mid-20's, so I'm not sure how it works on wrinkles.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2002 8:49:00 PM More reviews by drbeebee52

Creme de la Mer is probably the most hyped, the most reviewed, of all skin care products. So why am I adding my opinion? Because I think that this product is for a particular demographic: if you are "older" (read "menopausal") or beyond, this face cream really is the holy grail. I absolutely love it, although I use it only in the colder weather (even in my mid 50's, this is too rich for summer). As much as I love it, my mother, in her mid 80's, adores it! So, I believe that the older you and your skin get, the more they can benefit from this product. I am much more skeptical about the other La Mer products, since they were "invented" by the Estee Lauder scientists post purchase of the original formula.