October 23, 2014 | 1614 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2004 10:24:00 AM More reviews by rossjen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A sample of this was my first venture into this line, and I don't want to continue. A shame too, since this is probably the best cream that I have ever put on my face. I have never seen such instant results with anything before, my face was instantly brighter. But the horrible smell was enough to turn me away from it for good. This smells like rotting perm solution, and it stays around until you wash it off. So absolutely vile, it literally made me feel sick. I just could not take it, no matter what the results were. I'm glad I didn't purchase it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2004 11:44:00 AM More reviews by treedee23

This is one of the worst things I've ever put on my face. It was slimey and took forever to absorb into my skin. Then it left the worst smell of all time. Blech.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2004 12:37:00 AM More reviews by riapot

Okay, the smell aside (and personally, I don't mind it) - this is really good stuff. After my skin goes through a hard day, i apply this at night and the next morning i have radiant, elastic, cushy skin! It doesn't feel heavy on, either, which is weird because you'd think a cream that makes the skin look and feel so lovely would have to be thick. One warning - keep away from your eyes. No one else really seems to complain about this, but if I get it anywhere near my eyes it really stings! Other than that - this is really a wonderful product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2004 4:06:00 PM More reviews by clembert

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Wow! Philosophy is my new favorite skin care line. After seeing Christina (the owner/creator)coutless times on QVC and getting turned off by her "holier-than-thou" attitude, I decided to see what all of her fuss was about. I am *so* glad I did! I thought this product might be too light-weight for my normally dry skin, but it was just right. It moisturized without feeling overly heavy on my face. It also sinks right into the skin and a little tiny bit goes a LONG WAY!!! Used in conjunction with other Philosophy products, I have witnessed an enormous improvement in my skin, and so have my friends and family. I highly recommend this whole line to others!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2004 2:53:00 AM More reviews by darkmuffet

I purchased this based on the companies claims that this was basically a miracle in a jar. The packaging states that it is for all skin types. I have combination(oily T-zone, dry face), blemish prone skin. I really did not want another moisturizer with salicylic acid though. There is lavender oil in it which can be an irritant to some skin and mine apparently falls into this category. It is entirely too thick too be used on my T-zone and really just seems to sit on the dry ares of my face. It does work better than some low end brands so I have kept it as a winter night cream. This is probably a good moisturizer for drier skin types. The cost seemed high compared to the performance. I am still looking for my HG moisturizer.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2004 12:45:00 PM More reviews by Agusia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great moisturizer for my oily and prone to monthly breakouts skin. I'm a regular user of acne treatments which can cause flakiness. This moisturizer is very light in consistency and yet moisturizes better than anything else I've tried (and I've tried many). It does have an unpleasant smell, but I have gotten so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore. I'm on my third jar and will keep purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2004 4:16:00 PM More reviews by Dr_Luna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am extremely sensitive to smell -- in fact, that's why I can't wear Benefit's face cream called something like Touch Me Then Try to Leave Me. But the scent of Hope in a Jar is faint, and it's a clean, somewhat soapy medicinal scent, easily overlooked given the strong performance of this cream. I only use it at night but after only 3 days had already noticed a persistent soft quality to my skin even when I wasn't wearing it. I swear by Estee Lauder's Idealist, and will continue to use it every day, but that product only works while you are wearing it. Hope in a Jar seems to provide cumulative effects -- like if I skip a day, I still have the dewy smoothness it imparts on my skin. But nightly use yields the best results -- keeps my skin unbelievably soft and plumped, and is a very gentle but effective cream.
UPDATE After a month of nightly use, 2 things: 1) the smell everyone mentions disappears from the product after a couple of weeks and 2) I was right about the cumulative effects -- definitely improves skin for a few days even when you're not wearing it. But I am getting incredible results from nightly use, and I really love the moist plumping effect. Please note that I am 47 with dry to normal "good" skin -- when I was a teenager or in my 20s, this may have been too much for me. But I'm thinking anyone 35+ will LOVE it. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2004 9:56:00 PM More reviews by sashimigirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have super oily, sensitive, acne prone skin that went combination this winter. So I was a bit wary about this moisturizer since it is thicker and more emollient than what I would usually use. But since I got the sample size as part of a Christmas gift I decided to give it a try. I was really surprised at how soothing it was to my skin! It really moisturizes the dry skin while not over-moisturizing the T-zone -- no oil slicks here! I've been using this for almost a month with the Purity cleanser and have noticed that my skin's moisture level has evened out (T-zone less oily, rest of face less dry) and I even break out less. As for the smell I kind of like it -- I assume it comes from the lavender oil. The price tag is a bit steep but for results like these I might just be willing to repurchase, if I can find a decent deal on ebay ;) I do worry about how it will work in warmer weather if my skin morphs back to oily...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2004 3:20:00 AM More reviews by RileyKate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't understand all the bad reviews?! - But I understand that everyone's skin is different - This is becoming my HG moisturizer (and Oprah's LOL) - I swear my skin looks better and better every day - I seem to have softer, clearer, brighter & rosier skin - It did not make me break out (which can sometimes be a problem for me) - It absorbs almost instantly and has a light whipped texture - Seriously, my skin is "makeup-optional" and I don't *need* any blush anymore since I have this rosy glow now (not ruddy, rosy, I swear!) .. but I am a blush addict and can not help myself - (((I also use alot of other Philosophy products - I mix the Vitamin C powder (Hope & a Prayer) w/ my moisturizer in the am - and I think the cleanser is the best ever!))) - oh, and I really don't notice any bad smell?!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2004 1:17:00 PM More reviews by Faustina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this moisturizer! It is perfect. Not greasy, but gives just the right amount of moisture. It disolves fast into the skin and makes it ready for my make-up. $35.00 is not bad for 2oz if you have compared other high end moisturizers. I would recomend.