October 24, 2014 | 1803 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2013 2:40:00 PM More reviews by swanvic

I'm very disappointed from this product. I had read all the rave reviews here and from so many beauty gurus on Youtube that I decided to try it out. As an eyeshadow base it does absolutely nothing for me, I have oily eyelids and my eyeshadows crease like crazy when I wear Painterly. I tried to put less product, I tried to put more but nothing worked. As a cream eyeshadow with another base underneath (I use Too Faced Shadow Insurance which I LOVE) it's a beautiful neutral shade and has a nice, creamy consistency, but nothing you can't find in other companies for much money(the MAC paint pots cost 20 here in Greece, which is about 26-27$). All in all, I wouldn't repurchase this product as it doesn't do what it's supposed to(at least on me).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 1:35:00 AM More reviews by ajpowell21

This is a great eyeshadow primer! I use it everyday as a base and I have fairly oily eyelids so creasing is a big issue for me! I find this lasts all day and is still very matte and crease free, even on some really hot and humid days. I usually just use my finger to apply and find its fine. A little expensive but will last for a good 8-12 months. This ones a winner xooxo

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2013 12:32:00 AM More reviews by Anners26

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was so torn on this product for months and I've finally decided... I hate it. I can't even explain exactly what's so unlikeable about it... it's just bleh. I tried it several different ways and it never worked. It looks like such a pretty, almost pinky-nude in the pot, but on my lids it basically looks purplish-grey. Seriously. And not in a good way. It washes out my entire eye and makes me look old and tired. And it's not even good as a primer, because it creased within like three hours. I wish I still had the receipt but sadly I waited too long. Boo on Painterly.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by Shelbsca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product and use it almost every day, regardless of how much makeup I'm wearing. It can be used either as an eyeshadow primer, which intensifies the color so much it's insane, or you can just dab some on your eyes and actually use it as an eyeshadow (assuming you have the right coloring-I'm very fair, so it's a perfect natural shade for my eyes).

I usually apply this with my MAC217 brush, but when I don't have time I just dab some on with my fingers and it still looks flawless. I use a little more when I'm using it an an eyeshadow alone, and I use a little less when I'm wearing it underneath eyeshadow as a primer. You only need a tiny bit to have the eyeshadow stay all day without fading or creasing. When I use this as an eyeshadow, it looks natural but so pretty and eye-enhancing!

The best thing by far about this product is its ability to make eyeshadow colors look more vibrant and intense. It makes every eyeshadow look the way I actually want it to look. If you're thinking about buying this product, go to MAC and ask to test it. Then go to one of MAC's tester eyeshadows and swipe it one or two times on the back of your hand. Then swipe painterly right next to the eyeshadow swatch alone, and swipe the same eyeshadow on top of painterly. I can guarantee you that the color will be slightly darker, vibrant, and noticeable. The difference is astounding. I will never use eyeshadow again without using the painterly paint pot, unless I'm using a color that I don't want to be more intense.

The two cons are A) it's expensive- but once you know you like it, buy it from Ebay and get it cheaper! Plus, for a product this amazing I don't mind shelling out $20! Regardless, I don't think I'll even need to repurchase this all that much because this is going to last me forever! and B) the packaging doesn't really suck, but it could be better. It doesn't seem like the lid closes all the way and I could possibly see this drying out before I'm done with it if I don't make sure to tightly seal it all the way every time I use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by ParfumLust

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this little gem. My eyeshadow has never creased while wearing this as a primer. I have oily lids and have to wear primer daily if I want my shadow to last more than an hour. I like that this is a cooler flesh tone. It makes a nice canvas for my shadows to go over. But, I never wear this as an eyeshadow alone - the color just wouldn't suit me. Lately, I've been having fun trying out other primers and they're nice. However, if I could only have one primer in my makeup bag, it would be Painterly hands down.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2013 8:36:00 PM More reviews by plumblush

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this product primarily for a primer. My eyelids are very oily despite the rest of my skin being fairly dry. On my skin, this is far superior to the UD primer, or any other primer I have tried for holding my shadows in place. This stuff enables me to escape some of the dreaded fallout I have with my shimmery and glittery shadows. Sometimes, I wear it alone with just a bit of mascara. I won't ever stop buying this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2013 6:49:00 PM More reviews by Anna12345

I bought this after seeing Lisa Eldridge using it several times. As my skin tone is very similar to hers (I'm an NC20), it is a very flattering pink putty colour on me. The texture is soft and creamy but it dries flat very quickly. I have been using it as a base/primer for eyeshadows and glitter. Fine glitter seems to adhere well to this product. On its own, Painterly is not a very exciting colour, so I treat this as a base or a preparatory product rather than a "colour", if that makes sense. It covers darkness and blemishes on the eyelids very well. However, as mentioned before, I would not wear this on its own. I have found that warm neutral or pinky shades of shadow and glitter go very well on top of this colour. There is quite a lot of product in this pot so I don't think I will be buying it again soon. Overall it's a very good product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by bululu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shade makes it a great primer for all eyeshadows. It becomes virtually impercetible and adds great longevity to the make up which remains perfect for many hours. No crease no fading. I also own Bare Study which I use if I apply a beige gold eye shadow on top, but Painterly is the perfect choice, totally versatile.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Britt15scr

I love this eyeshadow base! It pretty much matches my skintone and makes my shadow last all day!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2013 12:41:00 PM More reviews by Kori3307

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I adore this paint pot. I have five in total paint pots, and I am not disappointed with any of them! They last literally...FOREVER ! Painterly is a great great great product...I use it as an eye primer...When I do wear eye makeup, I apply this... It makes my eye shadows last all day, creasing never occurs and my eye shadows look more vibrant! Totally recommend this product to anyone who loves working with eye shadows!

- Kori