October 1, 2014 | 1269 users online

Pressed Powders - MAC - Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - Light

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2010 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Lizabetha

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Alright, now mind you that I have a very oily t-zone to begin with, but I went to my MAC counter and tried it on with the kabuki my fantasticcc MUA lent me. At first, it was great! Just enough coverage, beautiful sheen, all hunky-dorry.
And then I wore it for an hour.
My skin pretty much greased up like normal, and my nose looked the exact same as if I hadn't put on makeup, plus disgusting shine.
So for those girls with oily skin, I am telling you, this isn't for you!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 2:27:00 PM More reviews by lee1989

This is the best pressed powder i have used so far. It doesn't break my skin out and it just exactly like what the product describe, very natural and provide a perfect finish for the makeup.Highly recommended.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2010 7:46:00 PM More reviews by daturazero

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Skintype: fair (nc10 or less), Oily, sensitive, acne-prone

I understand completely why so many girls call this powder their Holy Grail. I've searched for years for the perfect powder...one that provides a very natural, not wearing makeup look. Most powders tend to overexpose my pores or settle into skin imperfections. This powder, however, provided a pure, flawless finish.

I used this powder two ways: as a finishing powder and a stand-alone foundation. As a finishing powder, I was not overly impressed. Rather than setting my foundation, it only provided a nice temporary finish. (Then, promptly slid off a few hours later.) As a stand-alone foundation, however, is where this foundation really shines. It provides a good medium coverage, and is very buildable. It did not completely wash away a few acne scars, but otherwise I loved the natural finish this powder provided.

Now the bad---This powder did not agree with my skin. I'm acne prone and can very rarely use mineral foundations. I knew going in that this powder would probably not work for me, but I suppose I got pulled into the hype. And, of course, that test failed. Every time I stopped using this product, my skin would clear up. I'd reach for the powder, and the breakouts would reappear. Generally I do not have this kind of patience with any product, but I *really* wanted to keep this one. As I said before..it's really amazing if it works for your skin.

PROS
- Flawless, natural finish. (I highly recommend a quality kabuki to apply this...it makes all the difference.)
- Medium coverage.

CONS
- Can irritate sensitive skin.
- Not a great finishing powder (if that's your intent for the product).

In all, I really feel this foundation is worth a shot. Although I've had to stop using it, I know there are others out there that do not share my skin issues!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2010 4:56:00 PM More reviews by kokolani

I just wanted to review this mineralized skinfinish powder that I used off and on a couple years ago because I want *those who are acne-prone to use this with caution* cause it broke me out like crazy!! I didn't know it was the powder at first and I just happened to quit using it. When I went back to it my face blew up like a teenager again and I realized it was this powder. I looked up the ingredients and found them to be highly comedogenic.
Besides that it does look kind of heavy and powdery as other reviewers have said, and the compact is awful too (no mirror or puff).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2010 3:43:00 AM More reviews by Abrial

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am very very pale, so I figured this would be a best bet since I really don't need all that much coverage and was looking for something that was not so heavy since I don't have acne.

Well this is definitely light that is for sure, but my problem with this was just the fact that you can tell that there is powder on your face.

I personally do not like this look at all, so I often sprayed myself with fix + and blended it in just to use it up so it would not be wasteful. Another thing was that this was basically no coverage at all, it might as well be transparent, when they say "Natural", they really do mean it.

I see no use in buying this product when I can buy Studio Fix Powder and have actual coverage without looking like I caked the powder on or having to work too hard for flawless coverage. Personally its an OK powder, not fabulous by any means but if you want basically no coverage and use it for setting foundation its fine..

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2010 9:30:00 PM More reviews by poopinshmicken

Okay I'm writing this review and MAYBE by the end of it I'll come to some conclusion on this powder. A lot of makeup gurus on youtube use this stuff. I could probably name 7. And I've bought this stuff twice - same shade. I'll probably buy it a third time too, but I'm still lukewarm. It guess it's like a boyfriend you've had for two years - I probably could find better but I'm just not up for it right now so I'll keep the relationship for a third year. (lol)

My Skin:
- Oily, sensitive, cystic acne-prone, acne-scarring.
- MAC NC15/20 or MUFE #20/#117

The *Hype* I heard that made me purchase it:
- Can double as a foundation
- Great coverage
- Soft and creamy - natural-looking!
- Won't break out skin

My thoughts:
PROS:
- It does add good coverage.
- This (unlike MOST everything else) doesnt' break me out. This is probably the biggest reason why I have repurchased.
- It doesn't have talc, which I find very harsh on my skin. Like it pulls my skin when I apply products with talc.

CONS
- For what I paid, this really isn't THAT soft. It feel pretty drugstore to me. I feel like Physican's Formula probably has something similar.
- This is good for setting foundation, but not as a foundation alone. It wears off sooooo quickly and I'm NOT one that likes to reapply makeup. Even with concealer and a kabuki, this doesn't give great coverage alone.
- I still think too much of this can make anyone look cakey and applying ANY powder will dry out skin. Maybe this stuff is less dry but not significantly.
- This powder (even though I don't use it daily) seems to go faster than any other powder I've ever used. *sigh*
- I don't really think any powder is going to provide a "natural-looking finish"
- The lid always breaks on me with these MSFs. Like the clear plastic part detaches.

CONCLUSION: This is a good powder. This is not a great powder. I do not think it lives up to the hype. This would be an awesome powder, if it were drugstore or half the price. (I hate Bare Minerals though so I like this better.)

Note: If anyone can advise me on a better powder for acne-proned skin, I'd probably try it.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2010 11:46:00 AM More reviews by CliniqueGal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

*EDIT* Broke me out so badly, that I have huge scars all over my face now :( Will not be repurchasing, even though I still love the finish!

This is a lovely finishing powder. I use it over MIneralize Compact Foundation in NC15 and it sets my makeup all day.
Light is the perfect colour and gives my skin a little more coverage and a silky satin finish!
I buff with a MAC 180 or EL Powder foundation brush and this gives a even covering!
I would recommed this to any skin type except for very oily, as it has no oil absorbing properties!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2010 8:50:00 PM More reviews by ninadelsol

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm on my second MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Light-Medium. It is absolutely amazing. Great for setting liquid foundation, evening out my skintone, or just for dusting on to remove shine. It works for all seasons and the color is a great match. It's also very versatile. I can pile it on for more coverage or lightly puff it on to give me a more translucent finish. Love it!

Edited to 4 lippies: No big deal. I'm on a search for a replacement. I feel that my skin has taken its toll with this product in the past 2 years.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 9:37:00 PM More reviews by Plagueofhamsters

I really wish this didn't have such a nice rating. I hated it. It was dry, chalky, didn't absorb any oil, didn't have any coverage. Major let down.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2010 4:05:00 AM More reviews by ocarina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Ladies, if you want a light coverage, average finishing/setting powder, by all means pick up MSFN. It does its job well, although it's not outstanding. Where this product comes into its own, however, is as a foundation. I actually use this WET, like Pan-Cake or those old-school dual-powder foundations, except this doesn't have the blotchy, streaky finish those used to have. Here is my technique: Take a full powder brush (yes, the kind you would use to apply face powder all over), or a stippling brush like the Mac 187 or the Px Bronzer Brush. Spray some rosewater or any non-alcoholic toner into the brush bristles 2 or 3 times. Swirl the brush over the MSFN cake and apply it in circular motions to your face, one area at a time. Swear on a stack...poreless, flawless, matte skin will be yours in a matter of minutes. It controls oil really well and lasts a good long time before needing a touch up. Note, however, that I have also tried this technique with a flat-topped buffing brush. It doesn't work as well, for some reason. A full powder brush will give you flawless coverage, while a stippling brush provides a sheerer finish. I wouldn't be happier that the MSFN that was previously sitting forgotten in a shoebox is now paying its way, and doing such a good job. Try it!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No