December 17, 2014 | 1737 users online

Masks - Yogurt Mask

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2011 8:53:00 PM More reviews by mcalcia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow. This is the best face mask I've ever used. After trying this, my moisturizing face masks from Clarins and Chanel don't get any use anymore.

First, some info about my skin: fair (NC20), formerly oily and acne-prone but now normal/dry since I'm on Accutane. During the winter it gets really dry and flaky.

I recently had terrible breakouts from a sunscreen (LRP Anthelios AC SPF40) that looked like a million clogged pores in my cheeks. I had to apply topical steroids for about a month until the irritation got a little better, but I still had lots of tiny whiteheads and nothing (salycilic acid, Differin, glycolic acid) helped me get rid of that.

So I decided to try the yogurt mask, mainly because I was afraid that the "regular" masks would break me out even more.
I use this about 3 times a week, for 30 minutes. When my skin is extra dry I mix it with 1/2 tbsp of honey and 2-3 drops of extra virgin olive oil.
Two weeks later, the breakouts on my cheeks were 90% gone. I'll be honest, I can't say they're 100% gone, after all the breakouts were pretty bad and I can't expect a miracle, but I almost can't notice them anymore and my skin texture is much more even.
I also noticed that it helped me a lot with my dry skin issues and it gives my face a glow that no other face masks have ever given.
I have used 0%fat yogurt and I liked it too, but for dry skin the full fat yogurt is definetely much better.

Tip:
I like to get the "dry" parts of the yogurt that get on the top of the cup (if your yogurt comes with a metallic seal, you know what I mean - the yogurt that accumulates there! Yeah, it sounds a little gross). It's much more dense and creamy, and therefore more moisturizing.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2011 3:22:00 AM More reviews by Irinar

Here is my experience. I have combined skin, meaning it feels dry AND I get pimples (and I'm way beyond teenage).
I've tried both sour cream and yoghurt in the past three days. I think yoghurt may be better to "clean" your face- it does feel cooling and a bit prickly. For hydrating I would rather reccomend sour cream, although my understanding is that it does open the skin to sunlight. The feeling of both is great, yoghurt gave me a "cleaning" feeling and sour cream a softer one. I think I can see the results, and it's only been three days. Woud definitely reccomend it, possibly alternating between yoghurt and sour cream depending on what you need most. And I've only used the "plain" products yet. Not fruit yoghurt, combined with honey, lemon, etc although it is reccomended. Oh and I've also used yoghurt for hair. Feels nice. Haven't tried sour cream, I'd like to see if it hydrates the hair as much as it hydrated the face skin. Using both is definitely worth the trouble.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2011 9:59:00 PM More reviews by lelam7

I love this mask! First, I scrub my face with sugar and lemon, and then add yorurt (i use greek full fat yogurt, since its thick constency and wont run down your face). I leave it on until it dries, (maybe 20 mins), and when I wash it off, it gives my face a beautiful glow and makes it brighter....dirt cheap and effective, no expensive mask will ever beat this...

rated 2 of 5 on 6/4/2011 9:24:00 AM More reviews by ArretezCharlotte

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm torn.

I slapped a layer of good old natural fat-free Greek Yoghurt onto a clean face and left it for about 20 minutes. During that time I experienced no discomfort whatsoever, not even a tingle. However, when I washed it off with a cotton pad and water, my face was COVERED in what can only be described as acid burns. Across one cheek there was a scarlet, linear streak that looked as though somebody had held a needle to a flame and dragged it all the way across my skin. On my temples were strange, bluish marks that looked incredibly like bruises. And my entire forehead just looked badly sunburnt. What somehow made the whole débacle more disconcerting was that I wasn't in any pain at all, aside from a very, very slightly warm sensation that was basically barely detectable, my skin felt as it always did. And yet I looked, in direct light, as though I'd smeared dilute hydrochloric acid over my face, and in shadow I looked as though I'd been in a nasty punch-up!

Considering I had a fashion show to walk a few days later, needless to say, I was pretty alarmed! I immediately applied some Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic from my sample bottle and after that, I slathered on a HUGE layer of my beloved MooGoo MSM Soothing Cream (literally enough to break out an entire football team). Incredibly, not only did I not break out the following day, but within two hours of application, all the angry burns and marks had completely disappeared. The relief! (The MooGoo cream is truly miraculous, by the way. Huge recommendation!)

The reason why I'm torn is that in the days since I tried this, my skin has, as reviews I read suggested might happen, been incredibly soft, even and clear-looking. I used a gentle, adequate-but-nothing-too-amazing old scrub a day or two later and the gunk just flew straight out of my pores - they're still empty! I want to give it minus lipsticks in one sense, but I have to concede that for those it doesn't bring out in hideous burns, it must be pretty damn effective.

On that basis I certainly won't be first in line to actively put people off trying it, but I would never risk using it again myself, and would definitely suggest that people proceed with caution. I hope this was a helpful review!

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

While I think it's great that it's worked for other people. This doesn't do half as much for my skin as sour cream does. I know they're very similar, and I thought that it would be generally the same experience, but I was wrong. Shame, too. I love eating yogurt so I though that if I could use it in place of sour cream (which I don't particularly like to eat) it would be one less thing to worry about expiring and picking up at the store. No such luck. It calmed my skin down for sure and it had the same cooling sensation. But I didn't feel that I got the same amount of exfoliation and tightening from it. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm sticking to my sour cream. But for those of you who do like yogurt over sour cream, I think it would work well in the recipes that I've been using. My focus was on gentle exfoliation, lightening of pigmentation, and reduction of redness.
Face Mask (put on clean skin, leave on 20 minutes, rinse):
1 tbs Yogurt
1 tbs Honey
1 tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
4-5 Drops Licorice Root Extract
3 drops Chamomile Essential Oil
Body Treatment (put on clean, freshly scrubbed skin, leave on for 20 minutes, rinse.):
2 tbs Yogurt
2 tbs Honey
Juice of one Lemon
1 dropper Licorice Extract
1 dropper Raspberry Leaf Extract
1/2 grated Onion
1/2 grated Cucumber
These and all the other recipes from reviews can have either sour cream of yogurt. I think it's just a matter of preference. I love that such a cheap, natural product is working so well for so many people, it just didn't live up to my alternative. Still, I totally recommend trying it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by stls

I honestly was not expecting much but it relly works!
I apply full fat yoghurt on my cleansed face, let it rest till drying, rinse, use face lotion and moisturiser few times a week. Sometimes i also add a few lemmon drops. (lactic acid and citric acid)
This way i feel my skin softer, smoother, dewier, more hydrated, less oily, redness is reduced, what else can i say?
It's also completely natural and dirt cheap! I even wonder why non of the dermatologists i've visited mentioned it... Give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 8:29:00 PM More reviews by tabbyblu

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had a carton of yogurt in my fridge (plain flavor) that had gone sour. Before I tossed it, I decided to google around and see if I could find any beauty uses for it.
SCALP/HAIR:
Suffering from an oily scalp that flakes, I found information for a hair mask. Parting my hair, I rubbed the yogurt into my scalp. I then sectioned off parts of my hair and carefully massaged yogurt into my scalp until it was all over my head. I took the remaining hair, carefully combed yogurt through it, and sat down to watch tv for an hour and a half. My hair was at best, crunchy and icky feeling when I finally got into the shower. And I smelled bad.
In the shower, I massaged the warm water into my scalp, letting the yogurt rinse away. And due to my fried hair and oily scalp, I took a teeny dab of shampoo to three parts of conditioner, mixed it in my hand, and carefully (no suds, which was awkward to get used to) massaged it into my scalp and throughout my hair.
I blow dried my hair, and WOW. My scalp was SHINY. My hair was soft! And it BOUNCED when I curled it with a curling iron! I have frizzy red/blonde hair that rarely (if ever) behaves. I couldn't believe it.
FACE:
I put it all over my face for about 30 minutes. I rinsed it off. By the next day, my pimple (that was full of goop the day before), was flat and almost gone.
UPPER BACK:
I get yucky little "crumb-like" skin flakes on my upper back that I find really gross. I slathered the sour yogurt on my upper back and sat still for 20 minutes. I got into the shower, and washed it off with warm water and a bit of soap. Later, I noticed that there weren't ANY of these crumb-like things when my skin dried. I have tried EVERYTHING for these little dry skin nasties -- clay masks, dry brushing, loofahs, wet brushing, shower scrubs, softening oils, thick lotions -- nothing has ever worked! My skin has never felt smooth on my upper back. Always these ickies that I could scratch off with my fingernail. Until now :-)
LEGS AND BIKINI LINE:
The skin on my legs, having come out of a harsh winter -- was dry, itchy, and always felt rough after shaving, even with thick oil rubbed into it to moisturize it after a shower/shave. I slathered yogurt all over my legs, inner thighs, and bikini line. After sitting for half an hour, I took my shower and shaved. Put the usual lotion on it. My legs are unbelievably soft, I hardly recognize them!!! My shave seemed closer. Also my bikini line had no bumps on it (I suffer those) and was smoooth!!! I am so excited about yogurt!!!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2011 12:02:00 AM More reviews by katgatita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely Amazing! I must say I have great skin to begin with but after doing this mask I have had like 5 compliments in one day! Everyone was raving about how much my skin was glowing! I'm so glad I came across this mask! I will certainly add it to my routine!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/23/2011 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Fatang

I had to try this out after all the great reviews on here, but it didn't work out as well for me. I used unflavoured greek yogurt with nothing added, left on for 20 mins, and washed thoroughly. My face was stinging and the next day I had 3 new pimples. Still, how could I now try this out? Dirt cheap, and you won't know until you try it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2011 6:28:00 PM More reviews by AnnaMaria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

This mask ROCKS. I can't believe I spent so much money on the Korres Yogurt line (although those are nice products, and I'll use them up). But this works better for me. It's dirt cheap and AMAZING. So soothing and hydrating. I love to slather it on my skin. When it dries I scrub it off. Sometimes I'll put it on in the morning before my shower. And other times I'll let some aspirin dissolve in it (I've found dissolving the aspirin in a little water or moisturizing gel first speeds up the process of making it). This is THE BEST mask for my dry, sensitive, dehydrated prone skin. I wish I had paid closer attention to MUA and started using it sooner. I won't waste money on other masks now. I'm going to go the homemade route for the foreseeable future.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No