Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleaner

Active: Benzoyl Peroxide (10%) Inactive: Glycerin, Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Zinc Lactate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Menthol, Fragrance, Potassium Polyphosphate, Titanium Dioxide, Carbomer

on 4/10/2009 2:59:00 PM

This cleanser has been a godsend. After a REALLY stressful year in which I'm going through a divorce and trying to finish up my dissertation, my skin is a wreck. I have constant, horrible, painful breakouts that none of my normal, gentle cleansers with acne treatments could really do anything about. Then, I read in Allure that this cleanser was really good for stress-based acne, by leaving it on for a minute and then rinsing, and folllowing with a salycilic acid gel for spots.

Yes, it really works. I still have some breakouts, but much, much fewer and more controlled when they do happen and they are much smaller and go away quicker. My skin is finally healing.

But, the downside is that this stuff is STRONG. I can't open my eyes when it's on or even use my eye gel anymore because this is irritating. The menthol smell is definitely there. And the benzoyl peroxide has bleached my black eyebrows and harline a bit, so now there's some brown and I have to use an eyebrow gel. Also, one tube only lasts me about 2 weeks with using morning and night, but it's pretty cheap and it works, so oh well.

But when I stopped using it, my skin got much worse again, and now it's back to healing once I started up again. So in this time of great stress and great need, this is my must-have cleanser. When my life calms down and so does my skin, I look forward to putting it aside, but for now, it's just what I need.

on 3/25/2009 10:28:00 PM

I love this! I've went through 3 bottles-going onto my 4th.

I have mild acne(in my T-zone) and sometimes it gets bad..
This however IS kinda drying,if you have oily skin it should be okay...but for sensitive or dry skin NOO! Don't use this.

Benzoyl Peroxide is great for acne-BUT you have to use a good SPF because it increases your risk to sun damage on your skin by 50%.
I have the newer packaging,its in a plastic bottle,and has a pump.

So, for my routine I use my St.Ives Apricot Scrub(about 1-3 a week) and then, this cleanser, then the Dove Bar Soap with beads,and its the Grapefruit and Lemongrass.

And always use warm or hot water(cold or hardly warm doesn't kill bacteria).

But lately my acne has been fading(from the scrub) and my cleanser makes it go away,just don't touch your face alot and if you have oily skin then avoid liquid foundations and heavy moisturizers,and wash your face once a day(or twice) and carry around blotting sheets.

on 3/24/2009 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I hate the smell. I can still smell it an hour after washing my face and putting moisturizer over it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of my staples when I cannot afford Proactiv. If I start using any other cleanser in place of this one, I get more pimples. This keeps my mild acne under control, although I do get the few pimple flare ups. It happens. Especially when I need to be drinking more water. All in all, if your skin can handle a hefty dose of Benzoyl Peroxide, then this is for you!

on 2/18/2009 8:51:00 PM

I loved this for a while, it worked better than Proactiv for me... and I completely agree with the reviewer below me. I would trade breakouts for dry skin. I looooved that cooling/ refreshing feeling I got right after using this. I did feel that my skin got used to this after a while, as I felt it wasn't as effective as it was in the beginning. I would probably alternate this with another, gentler wash, especially since it DID dry out my skin. I was careful how often I used this and how well I moisturized.

on 2/6/2009 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this product on and off since my late teens. I love skincare products w/ a menthol-ish scent/feel to it and this is one of them. I agree that this is a harsh cleanser, but I do think it has helped clear up my skin (in conjunction w/ Retin-A) and I am willing to trade a few pimples for some dry skin (you can always moisturize, but you can't always prevent a pimple).

I am on the quest to find a more gentle cleanser that is just as effective, but until then, I'll continue to use this.

on 1/18/2009 10:54:00 PM

This is a good smellin cleanser and offeres temporary cleansing. As many drug store brands has way too harsh ingredients, doesnt deep clean properly, adn overall strips the skin of moisture. Used this years ago in my teens (when our skin doesnt really need much deep cleaning or internal replenishment) and got what I paid for. It also has benzyl peroxide the kiss of death of all overdrying skin ingredients that does not good even for super oily or acne complexions.

Bottom line after years of experience and knowledge in trying many skincare lines and products if you have a good cleanser toner and lotion, etc system that deep cleans your skin and maitains your natural oil and ph balance your oil production will great reduce and you will never need to use these blotting sheets or anything like them again. Simply get informed of ingredients that are good for your skin since so many of us for eyars use prodycts we thing are deep cleaning yet contain so many skin killing and overdrying ingredients like ALCOHOL, MENTHOL, LAURETH etc they dont dry out jsut the oil on your face but they completely dry out our internal skins adn all its layers which then make your oily gland overproduce even more and then breakout from all teh cloged pores. Its really that simple.just look at teh ingredients in your cleanser and always use a no alcohol toner to add moisture back into your skin (sprays are great). I do understand many of us have budgets and cant splurge on expensive products but do the research and splurge on a line with good ingredients sicne your skins is your cover and will not stay preservedas y ou get older if you use harsh chemicals on it. SO even if slightly more expensive its the best investment you can make. After many years of wasted moeny in my teens in trying many drustore brands the quality is just what you pay for with many (not all) of their products that contain very harsh chemicals.

on 1/15/2009 11:16:00 AM

I should have known better than to buy this. I have had problems with benzoyl peroxide in the past. My skin is very sensitive to it. That was a long time ago, though. I figured I'd try this. Maybe new formulations would be less harsh? And since it's a cleanser and not a topically applied cream, I figured I might be ok. NOT! After a few days of 1x day use, I had a terrible red rash on my face. I learned my lesson. My face and BP do not like each other.

After using this, I looked like a savage who just went through war. My face came out looking like a spider web. Bits and pieces of skin were peeling off my face and interconnecting. It was painful to talk and chew. It nearly cleansed my skin right off its bone.

on 1/14/2009 5:04:00 AM

my face! my face! my beautiful face!