October 26, 2014 | 1529 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash Mascara Waterproof

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2009 9:00:00 PM More reviews by EbiRamen

I only bought this because:

1.It was near the register
2.Its been around the block
3.Good old mumzi used it!

I saw it and thought, “could this be a steal, worthy of replacing Miss. Clinique!!!” I didn't like the fact that it left little black flakes around my eyes. It's definitely not voluminous or thickening...it's good enough to just throw in my tote for touch ups.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2008 3:57:00 PM More reviews by askr

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I too am surprised about the negative reviews. This is a nice, light formula that indeed as one of the reviewers stated below, gives a nice feathery and full look to the lashes. I seldom wear mascara on bottom lashes so I can't vouch for smudging there, but I've had no smudging while walking in misty/drizzling rain almost on a daily basis. All WP mascaras are difficult to remove in my experience so I use Ponds' Cold Cream for this one, which helps to avoid breakage and conditions too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by mc82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My lashes are already long so I was looking for something that holds a curl and stays on all day - this definitely does and is not hard to remove at the end of the day. It gives a little volume, defines, and the brush is good for getting to all the lashes without any clumps. The formula is quite light and drier, so it doesn't weigh lashes down. I curl my lashes before using this, and I like the pretty lash look it gives. I would buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2008 3:57:00 PM More reviews by cepauloar

My lashes are sparse, thin, have an average length and stick straight. I expect mascara to hold a curl and that's why I prefer the waterproof versions.
I love Maybelline mascaras but the first experience I had with Great Lash Waterproof was TERRIBLE.
However, I am very susceptible to marketing so I bought it once again. This mascara is quite good for a natural look. It holds my artificially curled (Shu Uemura) eyelashes perfectly. It gives a decent amount of volume and length. The price is awesome too and I do find the packaging lovely and I love the tiny brush.
The only cons I found was that it's a tad harder to remove than my other favorite mascaras (Lash Stiletto, Colossal, The Falsies, all waterproof) but with my Nivea waterproof eye make up remover + mineral oil it's not really a problem. Normally I prefer a mascara that gives my eyelashes more drama but for the price, I would definitely recommend Great Lash Waterproof mascara.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/14/2008 10:03:00 AM More reviews by SL103

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin, and all mascara's I have tried are never smudge free, in addition I am also Asian (oriental) which means I have very short and thin lashes. After researching all mascaras availble on the market I decided to try Maybelline great lash waterproof mascara as all most reviews on this product was excellent. I really hated it, it didn't make much difference to the volume or length and it was the worst mascara I have tried in terms of waterproof smudge free. Bascially I put this mascara on in the morning and after a train ride to work, which takes me approximately 1 hour, I looked at myself in the ladies at work as soon as I got there and the panda eyes were horrible. This product came off my lashes easily however it doesn't come of the skin with ease.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2008 4:55:00 AM More reviews by bwonggg

Although the mascara made my lashes much darker and more noticable, it's also water-proof, soap-proof, eyemakeupremover-proof! holy. It does NOT come off. everytime i use this, at least 3 of my eyelashes fall off due to removing it. It does not lengthen much either, but i do give it points for being packaged in a cute pink & black tube! Also, it kept my eyelash-curler curled straight lashes curled.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2008 8:43:00 PM More reviews by rbrown4

I love this mascara when I use it as a BASE for other mascaras... I have extremely long STRAIGHT eyelashes that just won't hold a curl for anything! The only way I can seem to keep a curl is if I apply a coat of Great Lash h2o proof before any other mascara. I don't use it on it's own though- not enough length or volume for my taste, but would probably be great for someone looking for a very natural lash look. Doesn't seem to clump. Price is super cheap!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2008 4:27:00 PM More reviews by MakeMeUp14326

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is your average good mascara. It is very waterproof, which is good for rainy days, but it is rather hard to get off, but that's not a big deal. It doesn't clump or flake and it's long lasting. My only problem is that it doesn't really define or lengthen my eyelashes better than any other mascara. But it's a good mascara for the price.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2008 1:35:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am honestly confused at why this mascara received such bad reviews. I have been looking for a waterproof mascara that stays put but doesn't leave my lashes crunchy ,doesn't give me racoon eyes by the end of the day, holds a curl, but is still affordable. For $4.99 and meeting all my expectations above, what else can I ask for? I have problems with my mascara smuding under my eyes and this solved that problem. I've used the shu uemura Precise Volume Waterproof Mascara which cost me $23 and even in the best conditions it gave me terrible racoon eyes. I was digusted that such a high-end brand that calls a mascara waterproof performed so poorly. So finding this mascara that gives me great lashes for cheap is a deal! I haven't had issues of clumping like others have mentioned.
UPDATE: I have been using this for a few months and I finally think I understand why the ratings were so low. It works great for the first half of my day, gives nicely defined lashes but by 1pm I start notices little smudges under my eye. By the time I get off work, I have major racoon eyes! I once didn't check in the mirror after work and stopped by Sephora and a SA asked me if I used eye cream. I looked in the mirror and was horrified to see huge shadows that made me look like I had the hugest dark circles in the world! I am now experimenting with different brands to see which ones are truly smudgeproof but still come off easily. I am trying Avon washoff waterproof right now and I will review on that later.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2008 12:53:00 PM More reviews by leenie88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

It is strange how this mascara is recommended by so many makeup artists, etc. While I agree that some drug store brand mascaras work even better than certain designer brand ones, I do not at all feel that this is the case with Great Lash. I had the Very Black waterproof, and it did nothing for my lashes, except for give them a bit of color. If anything, it made them look worse by drying my lashes out. I did not notice any difference in length or thickness. And I am not someone who likes super dramatic mascaras, but I would like to see SOME difference in length, and so on. Sometimes this can get really smudgey too, and I do not like the consistency. However, this formula obviously works well for some people, including a few of my friends. I notice this works better for people with naturally very long, thick lashes. Mine are naturally average in length and thickness. I'll stick to the Fantastic Lash by Cover Girl or Sky High Curves by Maybelline for when I want to use a great drug store mascara.