September 18, 2014 | 1319 users online

Mascara - Lancome - Definicils Mascara

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have learned from experimenting in the past two years that there is no one perfect mascara. I learned that I have to layer different brands to get any kind of decent results. I tried Lancome Definicils on the advice of the cosmetics counter girl. I had read about Lancome's other mascara, Hypnose, and wanted to try it but she said Definicils was better. So I got it and I was disappointed. I learned the cheaper Cover Girl and Maybelline brands are better. There is no holy grail of mascara.

Here is what is wrong with Definicils. Mainly, the brush is long and skinny, and it is hard not to poke your eye. Applying it safely is difficult. This is bad design. As for coverage, it is no better than any other mascara. It has dried out in only 2 months and is not worth even using with others in layers. I expected far more for $30. I expected lush and feathery lashes and didn't get them. The sales girl said this would give me that effect. If you do put on 2 or 3 coats the result is spidery and stiff, not feathery. If you use one coat there is no result. It is only useful as a base for other mascaras.

So, back to the drawing board. For now, I will use my old standbys in layers. This one I'll throw out soon. Maybe someday I will find a mascara that does something when you put on the first coat, and builds up to a natural long length and doesn't look spiky.

Update on April 24 - 3 months later.
This mascara completely dried out in less than the normal four month shelf life and so it doesn't even go on. Two or three coats causes big clumps and it has to be thrown out. It cannnot be used for layering with other brands. I already knew I would never buy this again but some mascaras improve with time (they may go on better when they dry out a bit). This one just got worse.

Update on May 7, 2014 : I got a new full sized Definicils in a beauty bag from Lancome so I tried it out. I must say, it has not improved. Here is what it's like: no matter how many coats, there is no way to build up the lashes very much, and there is no lengthening. Just darkness and volume. It does separate the lashes nicely and doesn't clump. But the results are ho-hum, not much better than Maybelline Great Lash. It is clear to me that Chanel Le Volume and Hypnose Star are both better than this.
Pros: nicely defined lashes, dark lashes, no clumps, natural looking
Cons: thin brush, no lengthening at all, does not build up even with 3 coats.

I'll leave it at three stars as it's not a failure, but not the best.

Update May 22, 2014: I would give this three and a half stars if I could. While not perfect by itself, it is fabulous for layering with others. It is performing very well suddenly. One of my other recent mascara purchases has already dried up in a few weeks (Covergirl Bombshell) so I put some of the Definicils on top and it gave me beautiful long lush lashes. It is only a few weeks old also but it is now the perfect consistency. I still don't plan to buy it again because I have several other possibilities to try first. I just wanted to say it is better than I gave it credit for before.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by map28210

this has been my go-to mascara for years. I love, love,love it. I like the coloring- in either black or dark brown- and I think one tube lasts forever even though I wear it everyday. Doesn't clump if you use properly (don't reapply too much or any mascara will get clumpy) and make my lashes look longer and full. I have used other mascaras-drugstore and make up counter brands, and this one is my favorite. They do seem to raise the price every year or two, but I keep paying it!
I don't use any other Lancome products but this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2011 7:10:00 AM More reviews by neonrain

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My HG mascara, for sure! Lately I've been experimenting with other brands of mascara, but NOTHING tops this one. It will lengthen your lashes without flaking or smudging and lasts all day long. Don't bother with falsies. This mascara will do the trick. Trust me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 11:02:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am really torn on how I feel about this product. Mascara is a difficult product to formulate and this one has clump potential. I don't LOVE the brush either. Price was medium and so was quality.

Easy to remove - that was good - but no way I would wear this to a wedding or funeral - you could easily cry it off. Eew.

Will not re-purchase. I like Beauticontrol and DiorShow better.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/27/2011 3:34:00 PM More reviews by star53

EEK! This mascara is horrible for me! I can't say it is horrible period, because I know we all have different eyelashes and wants for mascaras. It barely did anything for me unless I used a primer. In my opinion, there are enough mascaras out there to not have to use a primer, but there are some exceptions. :) Anyway, I was less than impressed with everything about this mascara. From the bad formular all the way to the weird color. It doesn't look completely black, kinda gray (I bought it in black). Also, the formula is just bad. It makes my eyelashes look stringy and gross, and does not hold a curl WHATSOEVER. If you're looking for a great lengthening mascara, get the Clinique one with the weird wand. It is amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2011 4:46:00 PM More reviews by iiss616

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not sure why the rating is so low. This is my fav mascara. Wont buy because it's too expensive!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2011 7:27:00 AM More reviews by DriouxAnnaSky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

verrrrrry nice small brush to get every little lash. this is my go to for daytime, because it is dramatic but not in a "i'm ready to go clubbing" sort of way. i have very thin, short lashes, and this is lovely on them- sort of feathery looking, really, which is my favourite look! it also lengthens and volumizes in a really doe eyed way. beautiful!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2011 5:02:00 PM More reviews by 123456j

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Classic Lancome packaging, sleek black shiny tube, very nice but not anything special in terms of Lancome mascaras.

This mascara seperates very well and gives a nice curl. I don't even need to curl my lashes with this, but I use it on top of my Clinique lash primer. The curl holds all day and the color is dark enough. It's able to give some length as well. It has never smudged on me before, and 1 coat will get the job done.

I love this for casual everyday looks when I want clean looking nicely defined lashes with a good curl and some length. It is the one I reach for on work days when I need something that will hold all day and looks good for work or meeting people. This is not the mascara for anything dramatic though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2011 10:33:00 AM More reviews by bellyhead

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I gotta love it for doing what it is supposed to do. I have straight Asian eyelashes and they lack in length and volume. Without mascara, my lashes will generally stick sadly and finely straight down. I really like Definicils a lot and this tends to be my daytime go to mascara. It really adds very little volume and hopefully no one is comparing it to any big volume boosting mascaras. What is really does is provide great dark color and very nice length and definition to the lashes. The formula is on the watery side and feels light. It doesn't drag down curled lashes and it is not a clumpy formula. I can layer 3 coats easily which no clumps. They don't feel dry and crunchy, but reasonably soft and pliant.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2011 10:37:00 AM More reviews by vwbenzo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Yuck. Maybe I'm spoiled from my Dior mascara collection of Blackout, Iconic and Extase, but this mascara felt like it was straight from a drugstore. It has a roughness to it when it starts to dry and doesn't allow multiple coats without starting to clump, even if used over Lancome's own mascara base. It has the feel of say, L'oreal Lash Blast. Which is no good when you're going for a dramatic fanned-out, long, doe-eyed look. Save your $25 and put it toward a Dior mascara.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No