Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

3.2

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (10%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2.8%), Oxybenzone (6%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6 Naphthalate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Trideceth 6, Behenyl Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, ppd 9

on 11/27/2008 5:53:00 AM

I've tried the various SPF levels of the Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock series. The 30 seems to work best for daily use. The 45 stung my eyes, the 55 leaves a subtle white cast that makes me look sickly pasty. the 70 was the worst...leaves a white cast and balls up. Have not tried the 85, probably won't.

on 11/26/2008 6:00:00 PM

I wish the name and description of the product truly delivered on what it says it will do. I was really hoping that this sunblock would be ultra sheer and dry to the touch, but instead it left a slightly pasty appearance and actually made me look pale and sick. I think my skin looked worse when I used this product because I looked like a pasty zombie devoid of circulation. I also experienced the stinging sensation that other reviewers talked about. Save your money and time for something better.

on 10/20/2008 8:52:00 PM

It irritates my skin, to the point it turns red and burns!! Also I think the smell is too strong. Itís a pity, because it dries fast and doesnít leave my skin oily.

on 10/18/2008 4:08:00 AM

I am reviewing "Ultra sheer dry-touch sunblock spf50+, PA+++ with Helioplex". I suspect that outside the US, spf of more than 50 is not allowed on the label. I bought mine in Singapore. Wish I had bought two, actually since this is a very good sunscreen for the face. I suffer from melasma and live in the Mediterranean, so daily sunscreen is a must unfortunately. Most sunscreens are awful and I'm constantly on the hunt for one that does not leave a white cast, does not break me out and does not make my face greasy. This is pretty good. I'm not sure about whether it will break me out or clog my pores in the long-term (I do use BHA at night to counter any clogging effects) but I like this product because it does not leave any white cast on the face, and it does not make my skin greasy or shiny. Seriously, it leaves my face really nice and matte. Not sure how it would perform if I had to spend time outdoors in the hot sun, or do any exercise, since I have only had a chance to test it under moderate warm weather conditions. But so far, so nice! Cheap, too compared to many other facial high spf sunscreens.

on 10/8/2008 12:49:00 PM

I took my mom to Costco one day and she bought the two pack of this. She said she'd been using it for quite some time now and hadn't had any problems. On the outside of the two pack it says that it's a suncreen, nothing regarding your face - so I was a bit skeptical. When we took the two pack apart, she gave me one and it says on the actual container to use it for *face and body*. At first, I was still a bit weary since I have sensitive skin, I don't breakout regularly but when provoked - its like hell.

I've been using this for about two months now and it hasn't triggered a single breakout! I wanted to wait this long to make sure before writing a review. I love that it's not sticky. NOT AT ALL STICKY! It goes on smoothly, dries fast and... well... dry. It moisturizes just enough and leaves my skin dry and smooth, if anything it dries really fast so apply quickly. That's what i love most about it... i dont have to wait for it to dry or worry about it being sticky. My foundation and/or powder goes on just as it did before - with ease. There is a slight "sunblock" scent but it disapaits quickly.

The fact that is the highest SPF possible is amazing and gives me that reasurance when I'm out in the sun for a bit taking a walk or just shopping at an outdoor mall :) Kudos Neutrogena!

on 10/6/2008 4:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is the best sunblock I have ever found for my face. It goes on light and is not greasy at all! No shine, no white residue, no stifled feeling, no stickiness (I must add that I apply only a thin layer). My skin is usually very oily, especially in my t-zone, and this actually seems to help control that oil. My face does not look shiny even after a few hours in moderate sunlight, and stays protected.

A weird thing I do: my face is sort of round and flat, but I do have visible cheekbones. On less sunny days, I apply sunblock only on my nose, forehead, and the top of my cheekbones in an attempt to keep those areas lightened so they seem to come forward, and make the sides and bottom of my face relatively tan and thus visually recede. It's hard to tell whether this actually works because this experiment has no control subject.

on 9/22/2008 11:36:00 AM

At first, I really liked this sunscreen, but after continued use it started irritating my skin and causing little bumps although I did remove it completely (using a cleansing oil or cleansing balm). It did leave a "dry" finish when first applied, but after half an hour it did turn my skin into a shiny mess.

on 8/31/2008 3:20:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This sunblock tends to ball up if you accidentally rub your face after you apply it. Can sting if you have sensitive skin. And tends to melt off in streaks. Not cosmetically elegant. Definitely better sunblocks out there.

on 8/25/2008 8:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I think this is a great sunscreen FOR THE BODY. My husband and kids use it, too. If I put it on my face, however, it will definitely clog my pores and make me break out. (I use Shiseido for that.) This is a good drugstore sunscreen with a nice texture, good UVA/UVB protection that's not super-expensive. (I have seen it at Costco/Sam's Club too.) Will repurchase for that reason... just not for the face!

on 8/13/2008 3:50:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I am disgusted with this. I bought a two pack at costco and paid 12 or so bucks. This is labled 'waterproof' and I intended to use it on my most vulnerable parts, face, neck, chest, etc, for running. I tried putting this on as long as 45 minutes prior to leaving to run, but no matter HOW long I waited, as soon as I began to sweat, this stuff rolled off me in gross white streaks. I'm not talking about a bit of whiteness here and there-I stopped for water at a fountain, looked at my arms and they were totally white. So, how effective is high SPF if it doesn't stay put? Now, I just don't even know what to use the second bottle for. Plus, the regular price at Target is about 10 bucks. For 3oz. of product. Total junk IMO.