November 27, 2014 | 1166 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2010 8:39:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This foundation looked incredible on me and actually covered my acne scars and rosacea pretty well. It's more matte than EDM, which I love, and I find that setting powder is optional. Unfortunately, this made me break out almost IMMEDIATELY after application. My face has been consistently clear for the past several months and I've been looking for something with heavy duty, but lightweight coverage for the warmer months. This is probably the 9th mmu I've tried that has broken me out, so I've come to the conclusion that I must be allergic to one of the ingredients, most likely the mica.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2010 10:53:00 PM More reviews by aclev

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

favorite favorite favorite. i luuuuuuuurve mineral makeup and this is the best i've tried.

the formula is great. no bismuth = no itchy scratchy red cheeks for me. the texture is divine; almost creamy and very soft. the color selection is phenomonal. they have great samples that are cheap (i think $1.50), and are very generous-i got about a weeks' worth of wear from each sample. i ordered 4 samples; 0 and 1 in cool and neutral just to see what would work best with my skin tone. i have always had MAJOR issues finding foundation that matches my skin. i like the neutrals the best, even though i think i'm officially cool, to me the cool samples were too pink. i'll be using the 1 in the summer and the 0 in the winter; although i obviously don't ( and can't) tan, the 1 tones down my natural neon glow just a touch for a more summery feel.

i'll buy alima again and again. their customer service is fantastic, and shipping is reasonable. i'm so glad mua turned me on to this company!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2010 3:40:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing this makeup for a few weeks now and have been soooo impressed with it! It has an almost creamy texture to it and wears flawlessly throughout the day. It literally melts into my skin and leaves a completely flawless finish, yet it's nearly imperceptible. It looks as if I have perfect skin, not as if I'm wearing makeup. I don't need to blot until VERY late in the day (5ish), if then. There is no bismuth (which means much less irritation)...as a matter of fact, the ingredients list is incredibly short: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Mica, and "may contain" Iron Oxides.
The color selection is amazing with this line, especially for lighter skin tones like mine, and they offer an "Ask the Makeup Artist" feature on the website wherein their in-house makeup artist Terresa will personally recommend foundation colors to you based on colors you currently wear in other brands. That helped me tremendously! She nailed my color on the first try (N1)...perfect match! This was perfect for me as I'm not patient enough to go through sampling colors, which they offer. The samples are very generous and do come in small jars, not baggies as some MMU companies offer.

Shipping was incredibly fast, as well. My products were shipped the day of my transaction (incredible) and arrived completely across country in 3 days. Well done, Alima! You've definitely earned a customer for life!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2010 1:04:00 AM More reviews by lilmissyblee1981

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Ill compare this to BE because that's what I've been using. As far as overall, Alima's foundation blows BE away and here's why: BE went on well and looked good-when I first put it on. After a few hours and my skin oils had mixed with it, it looked HORRIBLE-it slid off my face, looked cakey all over, and there's NO retouching this stuff....in fact, the more you try, the worse it looks. Alima is in fact the only MMU that I've tried that not only looks good when you put it on, but it wears at least twice as long without oily breakthrough and when you DO need to touch it up, it blends with itself nicely. Admittedly BE seems to go on smoother and more even on initial application but what's the point if it looks like crap after an hour? Much rather put the effort into a better MMU.

As far as color, I'll admit I haven't found the perfect shade yet. I got golden 0 and golden 1 (btw, the foundation samples they give last for days and they included samples of finishing powder, blush and eye shadow...not bad :D) Golden 1 was a tad too dark and way too yellowy for me-a surprise cause I have yellowy skin as I'm half Asian-and golden 0 was the right amount of yellow but it's more of an ecru shade-really really light. I would say I'm right in between, and my next step is to maybe try blending the 2 colors, or try the warm instead of golden undertone. I have to say though that the online swatches are really accurate, I had a feeling the golden 1 was too dark just by looking at the swatch.

Also although I haven't utilized all of Alima's website and customer service options I can say that I got my order in about 2 days for $2.00 s&h which IMO constitues a kudos in customer service but...ok, I was reviewing the makeup, right? :) I'm just impressed with Alima and plan to buy full sizes even if I have to mix the colors to get my shade...I mean, that's part of the beauty of MMU right?

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2010 3:06:00 PM More reviews by Chessicle

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My three best friends love mineral makeup. I tried twice (mall brands) and hated it. The first time I looked like an Oompa-Loompa. The second time I looked like my makeup will probably look when I am dead.

To be honest, it's not easy for me to find ANY kind of makeup that matches. I have had makeup artists tell me I am "olive, not olive, beige, golden, medium - whatever that means, and warm."

Two weeks ago I was out with my friends and they told me my makeup looked terrible. They suggested Alima Pure and told me to read everything about matching my skin and then to order enough samples to make sure I nailed it.

It was actually a lot to read but if you are having trouble matching your skin it is very thorough and helpful.

I ended up ordering a lot of samples but one is actually perfect - at least for right now until I get some sun.

For the first time I can remember I really like the way foundation looks and feels. I have learned not to apply too much and to wait about 10 minutes to see how it really looks.

I also think it's easier to clean off. Maybe I was putting too much creamy makeup on.

I am really excited about looking natural and great. I have uneven skin tone and I can't believe how much a tiny bit of the right powder does to make me look like I have good skin! (Not perfect, but good!)

Now I am interested in learning how to use other mineral makeup. I think this is the future since its better for the environment, health, etc.

Thanks for reading!

Chess

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2010 3:34:00 AM More reviews by aliawilk123

HG. It hasn't made me break out! yay! The packaging is also adorable, and I am a sucker for cute packaging ;) As far as coverage, it covers all my discoloration and acne perfectly, and my family can't even tell I'm wearing make up. It's really comfortable, has really good staying power, and is the perfect color (C2). Overall, it's just a really great foundation. The product is also packed it super tight, so it's almost like using a compact. I took the sifter off of mine and use a flocked sponge to apply.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 6:43:00 PM More reviews by dafff6

This is by far my favorite mineral foundation! There's a huge selection of colours. The foundation is easy to apply and it looks very natural compared to other mineral makeup i've tried before. I have oily t-zone and it makes my skin matte all day long.
I really like the packaging, it's very high quality.
Also, they have great customers service and they are not tested on animals (they figure on the Leaping Bunny list)!
I used to buy my mineral makeup from everyday minerals, but the customer service was awful and the foundation made me break out.
I will for sure continue to buy alima pure satin matte foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by autumnsdaughter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I adore this foundation! It goes on like silk, has medium to full coverage, and yet feels so light on the skin! It's easy to build up coverage if desired. It gives me a beautiful, radiant complexion, but is not so glowy like bare minerals. It lasts all day without oxidizing or transferring.
For those with dry skin like me- make sure you moisturize well beforehand. Let the moisturizer get absorbed before applying the minerals. Skip any finishing powders, and finish with a light spray of water or hydrosol. It won't look too dry or powdery, it will just look and feel creamy. If you tried bare minerals and it made you flaky or dry, try alima.
I would recommend this foundation to anyone- I think it would work well for most skin types due to it's short list of ingredients and purity.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2010 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Duster

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For mineral foundation for older skin the satin matte is great, not too drying and not too shiny. I got a custom color and ended up with a good match. No problems with breakouts or irritation, but these are sheer and do not last too long which is not the best for me. If you have good skin and nothing to hide these are an option. Good color range, something for everyone.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2010 10:27:00 AM More reviews by thebeesknees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

As far as mineral foundations go, this one is top-notch. The foundation glides on easily and wears really nicely. The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating is that, in my opinion, foundation is meant to either enhance or hide (and sometimes do both) and this just didn't enhance my skin. The color match was good, as close as I was going to get. But my skin seemed dull-looking, without a healthy glow. I was asked if I had been sick recently, which was the nail in the coffin for this foundation.