April 17, 2014 | 1729 users online

Powder - Alima - Satin Matte Mineral Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 6:43:00 PM More reviews by dafff6

This is by far my favorite mineral foundation! There's a huge selection of colours. The foundation is easy to apply and it looks very natural compared to other mineral makeup i've tried before. I have oily t-zone and it makes my skin matte all day long.
I really like the packaging, it's very high quality.
Also, they have great customers service and they are not tested on animals (they figure on the Leaping Bunny list)!
I used to buy my mineral makeup from everyday minerals, but the customer service was awful and the foundation made me break out.
I will for sure continue to buy alima pure satin matte foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 1:24:00 AM More reviews by autumnsdaughter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I adore this foundation! It goes on like silk, has medium to full coverage, and yet feels so light on the skin! It's easy to build up coverage if desired. It gives me a beautiful, radiant complexion, but is not so glowy like bare minerals. It lasts all day without oxidizing or transferring.
For those with dry skin like me- make sure you moisturize well beforehand. Let the moisturizer get absorbed before applying the minerals. Skip any finishing powders, and finish with a light spray of water or hydrosol. It won't look too dry or powdery, it will just look and feel creamy. If you tried bare minerals and it made you flaky or dry, try alima.
I would recommend this foundation to anyone- I think it would work well for most skin types due to it's short list of ingredients and purity.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2010 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Duster

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For mineral foundation for older skin the satin matte is great, not too drying and not too shiny. I got a custom color and ended up with a good match. No problems with breakouts or irritation, but these are sheer and do not last too long which is not the best for me. If you have good skin and nothing to hide these are an option. Good color range, something for everyone.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/3/2010 10:27:00 AM More reviews by thebeesknees

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

As far as mineral foundations go, this one is top-notch. The foundation glides on easily and wears really nicely. The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating is that, in my opinion, foundation is meant to either enhance or hide (and sometimes do both) and this just didn't enhance my skin. The color match was good, as close as I was going to get. But my skin seemed dull-looking, without a healthy glow. I was asked if I had been sick recently, which was the nail in the coffin for this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2010 9:08:00 AM More reviews by SkinStudent

Best makeup I've used. And I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for MUA. Compared to BareMinerals and other mineral makeup I have tried, this has less shininess, more like regular makeup, and the wear lasts much much longer. All the other mineral makeup rubbed off so easily, maybe because I have oily skin. But this one stays on all day, no problem at all. Coverage is great too. However, it took me a while to find my shade (Olive 1.5). It was strange how far apart their Olive 1 and 2 are. Neither worked for me that well, and Olive is my undertone. When they introduced Olive 1.5, I tried it immediately, and it was perfect. I've been using it for about 2 years. The packaging, which is the same as other powder makeup, seems a bit unsanitary. I don't use a lot of makeup, so a regular-sized jar lasts me a long time. The powder definitely does not look as fresh as before. So maybe I'll buy a new jar soon. Overall, it's an excellent product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 7:40:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've used mineral makeup for at least five years and have tried BE, Jane Iredale, Everyday Minerals (intensive formula), Prescriptives and Alima. Of them all, my favorite is Alima. Here's why:
INGREDIENTS: No bismuth, no cornstarch, no fluffy fillers. Alima’s ingredient list is very basic: Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide and Mica. That’s it. Also, the top two ingredients are natural sun blockers. That’s a big plus to me.
SHADES: I love Alima’s color organization system! Alima offers 60 shades plus custom blending of up to three existing shades. Each shade is numbered according to depth from 0 to 9 (palest to darkest) and categorized by undertone and in order of cool to warm: Cool (pink-based) , Neutral (peachy-slightly cool), Beige (peachy-slightly warm), Warm (yellow-based), Golden (strong yellow undertones) and Olive (neutral beige, no prominent yellow, peach or pink).
COVERAGE: I feel Alima gives buildable, sheer to moderate coverage. It blurs discolorations when applied lightly and will give smooth, even coverage with the proper application. For darker discolored areas and circles, I do need to use a concealer.
APPLICATION: It works well applied as a powder with a kabuki or mineral foundation brush, and it also works well (my favorite) when the minerals are transformed into a cream foundation by blending it first with a small amount light moisturizer. For oilier skintypes, try blending it with a silicone-based foundation primer instead of a moisturizer.
One thing I’ve noticed: if my face feels moist or filmy from moisturizer, I find applying Alima minerals dry with a brush can go on cakey and uneven because surface moisture is ‘grabbing’ the minerals. Solutions to this are to apply a powder primer first to dry up the skin or to apply it already blended with a moisturizer or silicone primer. Also, if it’s brushed on dry and the finish looks powdery, spritzing it with water will meld the minerals nicely to skin.
WEAR: With the cream foundation method, I find the minerals apply smoothly, the finish lasts longer throughout the day and the overall effect is less drying by the day’s end. For my combo-dry skin, I apply a few small drops of emu oil as a moisturizer (other skin oils are fine, too), then after it sinks in I apply a blend of Alima/facial lotion.
SKINTYPES: There is a tendency for minerals to be drying, so Alima would be least recommended for chronically dehydrated skin.
OVERALL: Highly recommended for anyone who likes mineral makeup or wants a foundation that has minimalist, sun protective ingredients. I give it a 5 lippie when comparing it to other mineral foundations as Alima is excellent. continued >>

14 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2010 6:59:00 PM More reviews by lisa356

I've been using this on and off for a few years now and still like it. I'm between W2 and W3. Both look natural on me. The jar is small enough for travel and one jar lasts me forever.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2010 9:11:00 PM More reviews by EasyBreezyFaith

Bare Minerals didn't work out for me. Not enough skin color pigments to choose from, so it looked ridiculous on my face. But alima has a huge variety of colors to try to match with your skin tone. That and you can order samples to try it out! I started using this at the end of 9th grade thanks to the wonderful reviews on make-up alley. I love how the color is matte and there aren't any hints of glitter in the powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2010 6:32:00 PM More reviews by eq2008

wow! I thought my Everyday Mineral Original Glo foundation was great, but now I love Alima even more. The coverage is much better and somehow it looks less powdery on my skin. As soon as I finish my Everyday minerals I will be ordering Alima in full size. I don't think I need the finishing powder for this foundation. Shipping took 2 days and I paid only $4.80 for shipping. I love it! They included 3 free shadow samples with my order but I don't think they are very pigmented. But that's another review.

UPDATE: alright, I couldn't wait to order from Alima. The major difference I've noticed from Everyday minerals is that Alima doesn't settle into my pores on my nose. I just ordered a full size jar of the foundation and I am so excited.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2010 11:06:00 AM More reviews by BrightEyes9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used Alima for over 4 years now. Now and then I try something else just to see if better products out there. There really aren't! I ALWAYS go back to Alima. With a concealor brush I can erase age spots instantly. Wears very well even with my slightly oily skin.

Pros: fairly inexpensive, very pure--no acne causing ingredients (everything causes me to break out even in my 40's), fab choice of colors (I create my own mixes once a year as my skin tone changes due to age, current facial treatments, seasons).

Cons: can look a little too powdery if I don't take the time to apply correctly. It takes under a minute once you get hang of it.

UPDATE 3/13/11:
I am still using this product. I really could never imagine using anything else. My greatest battle right now is as I begin to use more sunscreen, the makeup can seem kind of thick--but no way as thick than if I were to go back to a liquid foundation. As you become accustomed to this product, you begin to enjoy the very light consistency with buildable coverage. I never use a primer--personally do not see a difference when I do and I tend to go oily quicker instead of holding it at bay.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No