July 29, 2014 | 902 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2007 2:08:00 AM More reviews by hedgehog2484

I used this deodorant about 2-3 years ago in the Calendula scent and bought it again this past week in the Lavender. During this time, Tom's changed the formula. The new formula ("improved") contains hops. I developed an itchy red rash after one use with the new formula and never had this problem with the old one (or with other natural products containing lavender). My skin may have some sensitivities, but I have no known allergies. I've looked at other reviews and it seems others have had the same rash develop.

Although this product doesn't control odor for as long as regular deodorants, I liked it for days in which I didn't need the extra protection and to limit the stains to my shirts.

I don't know what I'm reacting to - whether it is something in the new formula or something in the different scent - but I wish I could continue using this :( I may try out Jason Organics deodorant.

There are many others with sensitive skin who love this product and it's worth a try if you are looking for a natural product or are irritated by regular deodorants. Just be aware that a reaction is not unusual, and (common sense, of course) discontinue use if you start to react.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2007 11:45:00 AM More reviews by bettysuegurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Worked well for a few days until I developed a red, itchy rash in my armpits. I've never had a reaction to a product like this before!!! Time to try something else.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2007 1:13:00 AM More reviews by laurentothemax

i don't sweat excessively, i bathe daily and am in a/c all day. with that being said, 3 hours into the day my underarms smelled either like onions or death. i dont know which. i'd love to use a natural deodorant at some point but i've never tried one that doesn't completely suck. this is no exception. on the plus side, the smell didn't give me a headache and it didn't mess up my clothes. therefor it gets one lipstick thing.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2007 11:09:00 PM More reviews by ladydisaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This review is for the "Long Lasting" deodorant stick.

I've been using Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal for quite awhile now, and though I really wanted to love it, it just didn't do the job for me at the end of the day. I walk 30 minutes to work every day here in Texas, and I smell when I get there. So I decided to search for a new deodorant. I was ready to pick something nasty with aluminum in it when I saw this stuff. It's a little pricey and it smells kind of weird in the tube (unscented though it may be), but it really works for me! Lasts all day on average, and since it's unscented, I don't smell like dead flowers or something when I do sweat and it kicks in. I haven't had any irritation or redness, would definitely buy again.

Edit August 2009:
I have switched back to Crystal, I did experience irritation with Tom's of Maine, unfortunately. It made my armpits raw and peel-y.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2007 8:45:00 PM More reviews by 2000wattsmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pits of fire. That's what I had after using this deodorant. I don't know what's in this that doesn't work with my chemistry, but my underarms were burning so bad that I had to wash it off and use coritsone cream to get my underarms to settle down before I could apply another stand-by brand. Trashed it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/22/2007 10:28:00 PM More reviews by Kricket812

I bought the Calenduna scent. Which smells great but after several hours of wearing it I wasn't smelling the Calenduna if you know what I mean.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2007 10:21:00 PM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Not all that great, slightly suckier than other not natural deordorants. The apricot is very strongly scented and while I and other around me got a little thrill of fruity scent every time I lifted my arms I won't buy this again. I always had to reapply midday when using this.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2007 1:59:00 PM More reviews by lancomelook

I tried the new Apricot scent. I was really excited to find a natural deoderant that smelled so nice, and I was able to overlook the fact that this deoderant was in no way sealed. It didn't have the usual plastic thingy that covers the top of the stick inside the cap. Well, I wore it for one day. I was stinky by the time I got home from work (I work in an air-conditioned office and sit all day), and it gave me a rash that lasted over a week! My armpits were itchy like I had ant bites or something. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone who has sensitive skin or who sweats a reasonable amount during the day.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2007 4:37:00 AM More reviews by Sage6o4

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Ummm this product is WET as hell!! Omg it's worse than not wearing anything because at least when you don't wear anything the only wetness you have is from your own sweat. This adds to the sweat. Stay away.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/11/2007 11:32:00 AM More reviews by CynthiaBB

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the concept of this product and really wanted to like it but unfortuately it doesn't work for me. Like another reviewer, it only lasted a few hours and then it became apparent that it was time to reapply! It smells good and goes on smooth but isn't effective in a long lasting way.