Tom's of Maine Natural Deodorant

2.6

Not tested on animals
Tom's of Maine is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 3/29/2008 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

After discovering that conventional anti-perspirant/deodorant products in combination with shaving leave my armpits with a nasty yellow stain, I decided to use products that don't plug up the pores. This product caught my eye since there's no aluminum in it. This is the (new?) formulation with the addition of hops. I took a sniff of the calendula, and I really like the fresh, clean fragrance that it has. I don't sweat a lot, I just want something to keep my pits smelling nice. This fits the bill. However, I forgot to apply it for 2 days in a row..............and discovered that my pits smell not-so-nice. My only complaint is that I've noticed just a little bit of peeling on my armpits, kind of like with a sunburn. I don't like the peeling, but I want to use up the rest of this stick----because I do like the calendula fragrance. If I stop peeling, I will repurchase. If the peeling continues, I will go back to using the Crystal Stick.

I hated this. Gave me a rash, horrible burning, and made me smell. Ewwww.

If you want aluminum-free in a stick, try some of the men's stuff (there's a real light-scented one I use) or Kiss My Face's Liquid Rock.

on 3/5/2008 12:04:00 PM

This review is for the old formula (without hops).

I went searching for a readily-available natural deodorant without aluminum and was thrilled when I found this. I loved the natural scent (very clean) and it worked wonderfully with my body chemistry. It

This was my HG product... until they added hops to it. I popped the lid off of this at the drugstore, took a whiff and discovered that it smelled overwhelmingly like cumin. While citrus-y smells work very well with me, things that are heavily earthy or musky... I can't touch those.

Until they bring back the old formula, I've been forced to abandon Tom's of Maine and am currently trying out other natural deodorants - but I don't think I'll find one that I liked as much as this.

on 2/21/2008 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Have this in the Honeysuckle Rose scent. I started trying out natural deodorants last Summer and have found a few that I like. Tom's works well on me ONLY if I layer it on a bit thick. 5-6 good firm swipes under each arm will leave me pretty much odor free for most of the day. I have found that I will have a bit of an odor at the end of the day but it's not that noticeable. Now would I use this on a hike or out to a club? No definitely not. But for days when I'm not working up a huge sweat then this is a great product. I am a bit wary now that Colgate has bought out Toms. Info on that can be found at Tom's website. Makes me extremely sad to see the old but goodies/tried and true's selling out to the big guys. And by doing so selling out the little guy which would be ,simply, us the consumer. I wonder how long it will be till we see unhealthy changes in ingredients? Anyway as it is now this is a great natural deodorant and I give it 4 stars. EDIT 2/22/08 And after a little reading up on chemicals and such I notice that propylene glycol is the first ingredient listed. Going by the thirds rule this means that it has the highest amount of presence in the product. Propylene Glycol is found in antifreeze which I think is creepy. As for propylene glycol in cosmetics/deodorant it works as a humectant which keeps in the water content of skin or cosmetics by keeping moisture from escaping. So is propylene glycol working as an anti perspirant ingredient in this product? I'm not clear on that. I read that propylene glycol can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage. Not saying that a stick of deodorant could harm you but I do find it odd that it's listed, first thing, on a NATURAL deodorant. So, no, I think that calling this deodorant natural is NOT the right thing to do. : (

I bought this for my daughter in the apricot scent. She is 9 and starting to get stinky ( crazy hormones!). I didn't want anything with aluminum in it..so I found this. She likes the scent, but I don't know that it works that well. Usually by the end of the day I can smell her when she hugs me. However, its better than nothing and its all natural, so I'll probably buy it for her again. I wish they had a "maybe" choice on the buy product again section! Cause sometimes its not as easy as a yes/no.

on 1/14/2008 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Ew! It isn't effective ends up making you stinky.

on 1/4/2008 4:44:00 PM

I love this deodorant. I have the unscented solid kind and have used the unscented roll on kind, and even though it's unscented it has a smell that is absolutely delicious because of the natural ingredients that are used in the product. Smells something like grapefruit. I barely have any BO and I don't sweat much either, so I don't need anything strong and Tom's of Maine is my absolute HG for that.

on 12/2/2007 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I purchased the lavender scent, and it smelled great. However after a few hours its effectiveness wore off and I did not smell good at all.

on 11/21/2007 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I'm allergic to aluminum so I can no longer use deoderants or antiperspirants that have it. I'm still mostly using Adidas Cotton Tech which works great, but it can leave white marks on my dark clothes so I reach for Tom's when I want to avoid that because it's clear. I've used the Calendula, Apricot and Rose Honeysuckle scents. I prefer the former two in the tube, but the latter on my skin. Calendula and Apricot smell really strong and great at first, but later in the day they starts to smell funky, probably because they are strong. Rose Honeysuckle isn't as strong so I don't notice it changing during the day. This stuff won't keep you from sweating as they aren't designed to, which is fine with me since I don't have heavy perspiration to begin with. On the plus side however, I noticed more odor (not a lot, but enough) when I used Mitchum and Secret Platinum than I do with these natural and sans-aluminum types. So far I haven't experienced any irritation or sensitivity to Tom's, even with the change in formula to include hops, but then I haven't used it right after shaving yet so I'm rating a 4 for now and will update if anything changes.

on 11/10/2007 2:08:00 AM

I used this deodorant about 2-3 years ago in the Calendula scent and bought it again this past week in the Lavender. During this time, Tom's changed the formula. The new formula ("improved") contains hops. I developed an itchy red rash after one use with the new formula and never had this problem with the old one (or with other natural products containing lavender). My skin may have some sensitivities, but I have no known allergies. I've looked at other reviews and it seems others have had the same rash develop.

Although this product doesn't control odor for as long as regular deodorants, I liked it for days in which I didn't need the extra protection and to limit the stains to my shirts.

I don't know what I'm reacting to - whether it is something in the new formula or something in the different scent - but I wish I could continue using this :( I may try out Jason Organics deodorant.

There are many others with sensitive skin who love this product and it's worth a try if you are looking for a natural product or are irritated by regular deodorants. Just be aware that a reaction is not unusual, and (common sense, of course) discontinue use if you start to react.

Top Rated Tom's of Maine Products