November 28, 2014 | 1732 users online

Deodorants - Tom's of Maine - Natural Deodorant

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2008 3:00:00 PM More reviews by hellodolly18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ew! It isn't effective ends up making you stinky.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2008 4:44:00 PM More reviews by ujinyoon

I love this deodorant. I have the unscented solid kind and have used the unscented roll on kind, and even though it's unscented it has a smell that is absolutely delicious because of the natural ingredients that are used in the product. Smells something like grapefruit. I barely have any BO and I don't sweat much either, so I don't need anything strong and Tom's of Maine is my absolute HG for that.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2007 5:05:00 PM More reviews by MES

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I purchased the lavender scent, and it smelled great. However after a few hours its effectiveness wore off and I did not smell good at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2007 2:47:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm allergic to aluminum so I can no longer use deoderants or antiperspirants that have it. I'm still mostly using Adidas Cotton Tech which works great, but it can leave white marks on my dark clothes so I reach for Tom's when I want to avoid that because it's clear. I've used the Calendula, Apricot and Rose Honeysuckle scents. I prefer the former two in the tube, but the latter on my skin. Calendula and Apricot smell really strong and great at first, but later in the day they starts to smell funky, probably because they are strong. Rose Honeysuckle isn't as strong so I don't notice it changing during the day. This stuff won't keep you from sweating as they aren't designed to, which is fine with me since I don't have heavy perspiration to begin with. On the plus side however, I noticed more odor (not a lot, but enough) when I used Mitchum and Secret Platinum than I do with these natural and sans-aluminum types. So far I haven't experienced any irritation or sensitivity to Tom's, even with the change in formula to include hops, but then I haven't used it right after shaving yet so I'm rating a 4 for now and will update if anything changes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2007 2:08:00 AM More reviews by hedgehog2484

I used this deodorant about 2-3 years ago in the Calendula scent and bought it again this past week in the Lavender. During this time, Tom's changed the formula. The new formula ("improved") contains hops. I developed an itchy red rash after one use with the new formula and never had this problem with the old one (or with other natural products containing lavender). My skin may have some sensitivities, but I have no known allergies. I've looked at other reviews and it seems others have had the same rash develop.

Although this product doesn't control odor for as long as regular deodorants, I liked it for days in which I didn't need the extra protection and to limit the stains to my shirts.

I don't know what I'm reacting to - whether it is something in the new formula or something in the different scent - but I wish I could continue using this :( I may try out Jason Organics deodorant.

There are many others with sensitive skin who love this product and it's worth a try if you are looking for a natural product or are irritated by regular deodorants. Just be aware that a reaction is not unusual, and (common sense, of course) discontinue use if you start to react.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/2/2007 11:45:00 AM More reviews by bettysuegurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Worked well for a few days until I developed a red, itchy rash in my armpits. I've never had a reaction to a product like this before!!! Time to try something else.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2007 1:13:00 AM More reviews by laurentothemax

i don't sweat excessively, i bathe daily and am in a/c all day. with that being said, 3 hours into the day my underarms smelled either like onions or death. i dont know which. i'd love to use a natural deodorant at some point but i've never tried one that doesn't completely suck. this is no exception. on the plus side, the smell didn't give me a headache and it didn't mess up my clothes. therefor it gets one lipstick thing.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/27/2007 11:09:00 PM More reviews by ladydisaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This review is for the "Long Lasting" deodorant stick.

I've been using Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal for quite awhile now, and though I really wanted to love it, it just didn't do the job for me at the end of the day. I walk 30 minutes to work every day here in Texas, and I smell when I get there. So I decided to search for a new deodorant. I was ready to pick something nasty with aluminum in it when I saw this stuff. It's a little pricey and it smells kind of weird in the tube (unscented though it may be), but it really works for me! Lasts all day on average, and since it's unscented, I don't smell like dead flowers or something when I do sweat and it kicks in. I haven't had any irritation or redness, would definitely buy again.

Edit August 2009:
I have switched back to Crystal, I did experience irritation with Tom's of Maine, unfortunately. It made my armpits raw and peel-y.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2007 8:45:00 PM More reviews by 2000wattsmile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pits of fire. That's what I had after using this deodorant. I don't know what's in this that doesn't work with my chemistry, but my underarms were burning so bad that I had to wash it off and use coritsone cream to get my underarms to settle down before I could apply another stand-by brand. Trashed it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/22/2007 10:28:00 PM More reviews by Kricket812

I bought the Calenduna scent. Which smells great but after several hours of wearing it I wasn't smelling the Calenduna if you know what I mean.