October 24, 2014 | 884 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2013 12:49:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I really think that coconut oil is fantastic for your hair but I had a huge problem with this on my skin and am trying to figure out why this happened. I put some of the coconut oil on my face and after a few minutes it started burning and I rinsed it off immediately. I didn't get it off fast enough apparently since my skin was left as one massive, red and itchy rash. I eat coconut all the time and drink coconut water daily so I know I'm not allergic to it. If anyone else has had a similar reaction let me know! I recommend using this in your hair but keep it far away from your skin- it took my face a month and a half to recover.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by carabeth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

A friend from India introduced me to coconut oil for my long, thick, curly hair a few years ago. It was wonderful; I kept the bottle in my shower and poured some of the melted product in my palms and worked it into my hair before toweling off. I would end up with conditioned and luxurious ringlets. I have always been prone to breakouts, and only about a year ago realized that it was this product in my hair making contact with my face that was contributing to them. I ceased using this in my hair, and saw an almost immediate reduction in the number of blemishes I experienced. I have since used on and off, with the same results. Unfortunately, while this is gold for hair, you have to keep it clear away from your face if you don't want any unsightly side effects (for those who are blemish prone, anyway). If you don't have problem skin, try it. If you do, beware. If you want to try and juggle the two, just keep your hair away from your face. I have since replaced this with jojoba for my hair, as it does not cause breakouts for me and keeps curls and skin moisturized.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 10:47:00 PM More reviews by laylaperdomo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

ALERT ALERT ALERT!!!!!
This has nearly transformed the ends of my hair.
By mixing it with deep conditioner and applying heat, this has done nothing short of magic to my brittle ends. The ends of my hair end up looking like my roots.
I also use this mixed into my body cream for extreme hydration on my skin. By mixing this with a radiant powder, this gives the legs the most fabulous sheen

Will I buy this product again?????
Um ........HECK YEAHHHHH!!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 10:46:00 PM More reviews by MmmQuinn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started using coconut oil several years back while growing my hair out. It not only helped with that process, but helped to nourish my damaged, bleached, and color-treated hair back to health. I would apply it to dry hair (focusing on the ends), clip back my hair and put on a processing cap. You can leave it on overnight, all day, or even for a few minutes before shampooing/styling as normal. Now, I currently use it for the following:
-Deep conditioner
-Lip moisturizer
-Oil pulling/body detox and tooth care
-Cooking/butter replacement

Coconut oil has HUNDREDS of uses, but for what I've tried I have been impressed. Plus, coconut oil smells great!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2013 9:46:00 PM More reviews by aliengirrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE THIS! I use it for literally EVERYTHING. Face/body/hair moisturizer, blemish spot treatment, shaving cream, makeup remover, nail treatment, seriously everything. I'm not to big on how it tastes but I didn't get it for that anyway. It's great! I get those monthly breakouts and some makeup isn't to nice to my skin, this stuff is great for that and isn't one of those oils that will cause it either, actually HELPS it. One jar for the bathroom and one for the makeup table :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Superbeckyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

The perfect product for anyone with unbearable problem skin! I had sore, itchy dry skin under my arms for 2 years (!) - unable to wear proper deoderant, painful to wear any clothes with sleeves, or shave my underarms often. Two doctors diagnosed it as a fungal infection; one diagnosed it as just really, really dry skin. I tried everything: E45 cream, various prescription-only steroid creams, Savlon, tea tree ointment, emulsifying ointment and countless 'moisturising' creams and lotions. Some of the stronger steroid creams helped the problem for a couple of weeks before the problem returned just as bad as before; I didn't want to keep using these scary, potentially harmful creams on my skin.

I bought a big tub of Barlean's cold pressed coconut oil from Amazon for 8. I loved the real coconut smell and the way it seems to melt in your fingers - it took a few days of applying on my underarms once at night to see results, but I'm so glad I tried it! My skin has the occasional dry period but it's 100x better than before - I can wear long sleeve tops, jackets and deoderant again, yay! I still apply coconut oil every evening after showering and E45 cream in the morning, though my skin's not too bad if I miss a day or two.

I did try it on the ends of my hair as a wash-out deep conditioner but it just made my hair feel greasy, flat and heavy. Think I'll just keep using it on my skin - after having such a positive effect on my life and skin problems it's been one of my best buys ever! Anyone with a similar skin problem NEEDS to try this.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by CL134

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Its amazing i used it on my hair a few weeks ago and its SOO much softer and it has grow a little quicker :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2013 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Taylorlx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

One of the best all around beauty products I've ever invested in, Coconut Oil has yet to disappoint me no matter how I use it. Originally, I bought it to mix with other ingredients and make a hair mask, but I quickly found that just by itself, Coconut Oil has made my thick, damaged, unruly hair healthier, softer and shinier. I use it about once a week as a mask and then shampoo and condition as usual. If you have very thin hair, I suggest using minimal amounts and only on your ends, as I have found if you don't wash it out properly it does make your hair quite greasy, but I feel that's expected when putting any kind of oil on your hair. To my surprise, I didn't find the scent very strong at all. I love coconut scents, so it wouldn't bother me anyway, but Coconut Oil doesn't have an overwhelming scent. I've used it for cooking, skin moisturizer in the winter, and it makes an EXCELLENT lip moisturizer. I sometimes substitute it for chapstick or vaseline because it tastes great and really makes your lips soft. Also, I sometimes use this to wash off my eye makeup. It works like a charm. The only thing I'd say is that you should be sure to wash it all off after if using it to remove makeup, or it will leave a residue that's hard to put fresh makeup on over it the next day.

A fantastic product, I will never stop purchasing!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/15/2013 5:46:00 AM More reviews by gale2509

I want to love coconut oil, I want to reap the wonderful benefits other people rave about but I'm just not getting them? What am I doing wrong? In my hair it just made it lank for days after despite a few washes? It also has a distinct burning smell to me, I've tried a couple of brands I could get hold of here in Middle East but both the same a faint horrible burning smell. On my skin it made me itch like crazy, it's so greasy and that layer of slick oil it leaves behind just really makes me feel yucky! If anyone has any suggestions let me know I so want to love this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2013 9:39:00 PM More reviews by sbowlchica

It works for some people, but not for me.

I never used it on my acne since it's comedogenic, but I would put it around my eyes as an eye cream... all it did was irritate them.

I put it on my hair... I have low porosity hair; basically, most oils or moisture treatments will sit on top of my hair instead of soaking into it. I couldn't get it out.

If you have high porosity hair, it would probably work for you, though... information here: http://www.lacocobella.com/2012/04/11/hair-porosity-its-kind-of-a-big-deal/

I tried to eat the stuff... I didn't really care for the taste and it always made me sick to my stomach. Every time I used it as a lotion my skin would get itchy. Maybe I'm allergic to it or something.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No