April 18, 2014 | 2032 users online

Lipstick - Clinique - Almost Lipstick - Black Honey

rated 4 of 5 on 9/12/2011 4:28:00 AM More reviews by azcohn

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in order to get a Clinique Bonus (GWP) and because of the reviews here. It's totally true what they say - this color looks great on everyone (even though it's appears so dark in the tube). The only reason I didn't give it five stars is that it doesn't last very long (but nothing really does on my lips, except the really long-lasting lipsticks like Covergirl Outlast, which is sooo dry). For now, this is my go-to lipstick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2011 2:56:00 AM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

My all time fav red berry sheer lipstick. I found a cheaper version with maybelline wet shine in dripping honey or cover girl lipslicks in Edgy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2011 12:35:00 AM More reviews by atomic_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My review is the 1000th for Black Honey, so obviously it's popular. And with good reason! It's the perfect colour - I interpret it as a sheer berry - and finish to go with a casual look, when you may not wear any other makeup. It works well with more "done-up" looks as well. It goes very well with my light (NC30) skintone. For a sheer lipstick, it wears very well and doesn't feel like it's sliding all over the place. I don't know why it took me so long to try Black Honey!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2011 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Ajarant

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh my goodness.. i love this lipstick!! its an oldie but a goodie! the color lasts for-e-vuh, especially over a primer. I love the packaging, sleek and slim (and shiny :)). I would totally repurchase this over and over.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2011 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Katie75007

I have had a long love-hate relationship with Black Honey since I began wearing it sometime in the early 1990s, when Clinique's Almost Lipstick line debuted. I go through phases: I will love it and think it's the best color in the world, until I decide it pulls too red-brown on me and abandon it, only to pick it up again years later. Once again, I find myself in the "love" phase -- I rebought it a few weeks ago, and it's either prettier than I remember, or the formula has changed slightly -- it's definitely more berry on me, and less brown-red (though the undertones are still there). It's such a pretty fall color -- and perfect with a barely-there peach blush.

My only complaint is that sometimes the color does not seem to distribute evenly -- it kind of sticks to (and highlights) any dry areas and looks uneven unless my lips are perfectly hydrated before application. Since the finish is glossy, one would think it would add moisture on its own, but it does not; it's actually a bit drying. Still, it's a very pretty color that looks different on everyone -- and it can be built up for a more dramatic effect. One coat leaves a slight berry tint, but several coats makes it a bit vampy. All in all, I do love it.

For reference: NW5-10; NARS Siberia.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/4/2011 9:39:00 PM More reviews by thefaces

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This isn't too bad a product although for the $36 I bought for it's a bit steep.

Gives a bit of natural colour to your lips, I stopped using for a while because it would just highlight any cracked/chapped lips and get trapped in it. I now use a bit of Vaseline beforehand and it glides on pretty well although you have to be a little careful.

The wind up tube's also not that practical with the tiny barrel that can get smudgy.

I use it for a natural look, if you build it up too much you get vampy lips that look a bit out of place. I'll keep using it until it finishes, but honestly I don't recommend buying it unless you have a lot of disposable income. There are plenty of decent lip glosses/balms/stains/tints/whatever at cheaper prices that are more value for money. Such as Revlon's Cherries in the Glow.

It's also not THAT moisturising, for something that's in between a lipstick and a gloss it gets a bit dehydrating for your mouth without repeated application. I like the simple, natural colour but a lot of the euphoric reviews here are slightly misleading. :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2011 2:38:00 PM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

If you want sheer, berry-brown lips, this is certainly a convenient way to get them. But Black Honey is not THAT unique unless you only frequent the Clinique counter and never go to the drugstore. I also think the formula is inferior (drying, doesn't last worth a damn) and charging $14.50 for a measly .07 ounce of product is criminal, IMO. So much of Clinique goes on hype alone. (I do use their 3-step system for oily skin and LOVE it, btw. But in general, I find their lip products boring and not great quality.)

I happen to like this particular lip look, but I've figured out some alternatives to Black Honey that work better for me, for a lot less cash. The one I do most often is a lavish layer of Burt's lip balm and then a light swipe of a really dark (almost black in the tube) lipstick. Voila, transformation to a lovely berry-brown. I use Revlon Raisin Rage or Black Cherry a lot, along with some dark-toned 99-cent lipsticks geared at a multi-ethnic market, like LA Colors & Black Radiance (sheered out a lot with balm). Another option for a glossier look is to first pat on a light layer of dark lipstick first, and then go over it with clear gloss. This only takes a moment, and lasts longer & looks better than Black Honey.

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2011 4:39:00 PM More reviews by tsaminamina

I found this somewhere in my makeup bag and I don't know how I could have neglected it. This product adds a tint of red that when layered gives a done, but not completely done look. It looks great with my skin tone. However the lid on the packaging often comes loose and its really annoying.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by RBBJ

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product! I'm beginning to believe that this is my holy grail product. I have very fair skin and this with a bit of black liner, mascara and a powder makes my look like a doll. It's amazing and suits all skin tones.

It has a great staying power almost like a tint. Which is great! It doesn't crease or leave residue when you kiss someone. You don't have to touch up all the time.

Can't say enough! LOVE LOVE LOVE !

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by alovelyjessture

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this on a Sephora after a saleswoman recommended it to me. I like lip balms, not so much lipstick or lip gloss, and this product is a great limbo between the two. It's very rich and moisturizing while also having a lot of color to it, enough for it to be an actual lipstick substitute. When I saw how dark the actual pigment was, I was a little apprehensive, but it goes on smooth as butter and isn't nearly as dark on your lips as it looks in the tube. Great lip color! Will be purchasing soon!