Clinique Almost Lipstick - Black Honey

4.1

castor seed oil, cetyl ricinoleate, glyceryl triacetyl ricinoleate, candelila wax, carnauba wax, polyethylene, tocopheryl acetate [ yellow 5 lake (ci 19140), red 33 lake (ci 17200), red 28 lake (ci 45410), red 6 lake (ci 15850), blue 1 (ci 42090), iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499), red 7 lake (ci 15850), mica, bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163), red 30 lake (ci 73360), carmine (ci 75470), manganese violet (ci 77742), red 22 lake (ci 45380), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), red 21 lake (ci 45380), yellow 6 lake (ci 15850), red 27 lake (ci 45410), orange 5 (ci 45370), red 36 (ci 12085)]

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

As a very pale skinned brunette I was surprised to find out that the hype was true and it looked good on even my face. While it does not disappear as quickly as some reviews say - a few minutes? Really? Were you constantly smacking your lips together? - it isn't long-wearing. It also seems like you can build up the colour with a few more swipes. I love it and find myself using it with both neutral and eye-focused looks.

on 12/27/2011 4:19:00 PM

Love this product! It is the perfect color for any season or any outfit. I have a fair skin tone and this color is not too dark or overpowering. It has no distinct taste, which makes it easy to wear and goes on smoothly and won't leave my lips with a gross lipstick film. I don't see how the coloring wouldn't be perfect on anyone. Way to go Clinique!

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I've been wearing this particular Clinique product since I was 10. Yep, 1971. It was the one shade my mother let me get away with at that age because it was so sheer and natural looking. This is one of those product/shades that has surpassed the biggest negative of the product - the dryness factor. This is most likely due to the fact that it's a truly universal shade, easy to carry around and apply. I just need to apply a good lip moisturizer underneath it first. It lasts all day, looks great with tanned or untanned skin and wears down evenly. I hope Clinique never stops making it.

on 12/18/2011 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Amazing! Bought this at Sephora a few days ago after reading all the reviews on here - awesome. Super buildable colour - goes on pretty sheer, but noticeable, perfect for every day. Looks like you just bit your lip - the perfect amount of darkening that it adds to your look without being obvious. Texture is super smooth and I like that the packaging isn't "lip balm" packaging. I'm 25. I need a lipstick that looks grown up, as great as Dr. Pepper lipsmacker is.. :D
They hooked me for life!

on 12/17/2011 6:55:00 AM

At first, I have to say that I absoloutly LOVE the colour. Looks great on almost everyone skintone.. Mine is pretty cold, neutral, pink-ish alike, and I can hardly fint a lipstick which fits, but this does.
The fact that I can choose how dark I want it is fantastic, it is extremly buildable. For parties, dinners etc I use pretty many layers so I get dark, bloody lips, and for work and things like that I use a few layers so I just have a light, berry tint.
The package is small, precise and nice to look at. The price is great and I'm gonna use this for the rest of my life I think, hehe.
It is stupid that this almost doesn`t exist for sale in Europe. I`ve tried to find it here in Norway, Ireland and Sweden.. Waiting two weeks to get my lipstick is boring :)

on 12/16/2011 2:42:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This has been on my to-try list and, since the last time I checked Lipstick Queen's "Medieval" was sold out, I went for it. This is a nice glossy tinted balm. The texture is smooth, kind of glassy.

I feel it's expensive for what you get, but I was expecting that. For me, as a very pale gal, this goes on pretty burgundy for me -- I think it also highly depends on the natural colour of your lips. Mine are fairly pink and rosy on their own, so this gives me a little more of a berry tint than some of the pictures on here show, I guess.

It'll be nice for work, when I don't want to full-on lipstick it up, but do want a nice hint of colour. The staying power is not great, but then again, it's not a lipstick. It's more like a tinted balm. I don't reach for this as often as I thought I might and therefore say I will not repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This would be a great lip stick/gloss if it had any lasting power. Yes, the color is universally flattering on everyone. It does moisturize very well. Thing is, after a few minutes of wear, it starts to disappear. Though my lips didn't get chapped at all, it's pretty insulting to pay $15 for something that's useless. It's not a drugstore lip balm, it's suppose to be a high end product. And reapplying literally constantly is inconvenient, along with ridiculous.

this product would be perfect if it bothered to last. There's far too much hype surrounding it and it's meaningless.

I'll do my best to use what I have when I won't be out for too long. I would not recommend or repurchase.

I love dark lip colors but because of my, shall I say, generously sized mouth, dark colors just make me look garish. Thankfully, this color works for me and i couldn't be happier. It's moisturizing too, and while it doesn't last all that long, I'm pretty happy with reapplying it regularly so that I get some moisture. This shade is pretty flattering no matter whether I'm tanned during summer or paler in the winter months.

on 12/6/2011 10:27:00 AM

I really enjoy this lipstick! The staying power isn't what I feel it could be, but the shade is great! It looks fabulous on everyone, and is somewhat moisturizing. This shade can be worn with warm or cool tones, and a variety of colors. It's a good lipstick to keep in your purse for touch ups, no matter what you're wearing.

on 11/28/2011 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I've bought this many, many times over the years, and I've also used the Black Honey eyeliner, and mascara. Whenever I wear Black Honey I get positive comments, compliments, and people want to know what I'm wearing. This is a sheer, glossy, moisturizing, very comfortable lipstick, with average lasting power. While it doesn't chemically change or anything like that, this color does look different on each person who wears it. It's so sheer that the natural pigmentation of your lips definitely affects the depth of color achieved. Many people see this as a My Lips But Better color but I don't. Black Honey, on my lips, is burgundy toned, and my natural lips are red. It's funny to me that I get so many compliments on Black Honey lipstick, because I'm not that fond of the color I get. If I focus on my colored lips without taking the rest of my face into consideration, I really like the way this lipstick looks - smooth and glossy. But the color itself never matches my other makeup, and I think it makes my skin look too yellow. I wish Clinique had something like Black Honey that has more red than violet in its undertones. As far as the eyeliner and mascara go, this color really brings out green in my eyes, but, again, it tends to make me look sallow because it's burgundy toned. Obviously millions of people think this is the perfect color, but I think it's one to be tried first by redheads, and/or "warmer" skintones,because it's deep violet. (Just my opinion, of course, but that's what reviews are for. If I can help it, I want to prevent someone from making a blind buy that wastes good money!)

Recommended for Medium Skin