Chanel No.5

3.5

on 11/9/2011 11:09:00 AM

I have the EDT version but actually prefers EDP version. They smell different! I would recommend anyone who is thinking to buy one to try both version.

on 11/1/2011 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Nope. I like the opening burst of floral aldehydes, but the drydown smells like a 1950s prom corsage found pressed in a yearbook. Faintly floral, but musty, powdery, and from another time. Love the iconic bottle, though.

on 10/21/2011 12:51:00 AM

There is no other perfume that could ever compare to Chanel Number 5. To me it has nothing to do with it being an iconic fragrance, to me it is simply that it smells so fresh, clean, crisp and better than anything else I could possibly smell at a department store. A little of this fragrance goes a long way so make sure not to OD on it. The scent goes on very strong at first, but slowly gets softer and softer throughout the day. I can even smell it when I get home off of my clothes. No fragrance will ever be as glamorous as Chanel Number 5.

on 10/12/2011 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This reminds me of my mother because its one of her favorite perfumes. She loves it, always tells me how when she was a kid she there was a machine that dispensed a puff of this, for about a quarter in Macy's. When I was in college I started wearing this and one day another student asked me what it was, told me she loved it so I sprayed some in a tiny sample vial bottle and gave it to her. She looked amazed that someone would share it even but I felt it almost selfish not to share it recalling how excited I was to have some.

My mother still wears this so I wear it less simply because I think of it as her "scent." I have never liked jasmine scents and though this has jasmine in it, its not overpowering or I could not wear it. I don't know a lot of perfume jargon and descriptions and though they have been helpful for me to make scent purchases based on the knowledge of the lovely ladies here, I cannot offer that in my review. In lieu of that I can offer this thought, we may not always initially appreciate what others have deemed classics. This is true of art, film, etc. We must take into consideration that like those before us, we view a scent and the aforementioned items, in a context of our times, what we are familiar with, what our friends, peers, are wearing and maybe more importantly, coveting. Sometimes that's all it takes, and most young women likely don't know a whole lot of others coveting this particular scent. If you simply take a chance to trust things become classic for a reason your opinion may change about what you like. Tastes do change which is not to say you must nor should ignore your first impression nor suffer though wearing, nor partaking in anything you find unpleasant.

That said, for me some things like iconic perfumes provide a little thrill knowing I'm wearing something that has provided women through the ages, what most of us want, to be a little more lovely than we already are, a little more elegant, a little more sophisticated, or sexy, so many adjectives can apply here. I don't need to sell this scent of course, it does fine on its own. In my day to day life I often prefer much more current, softer, sweeter, more powdery scents, but I may wear a version of this on my wedding, depends what my mother goes with;)

on 10/12/2011 10:49:00 AM

Whenever I smelled this perfume in the magazine samples or spritzed it on one of those paper tester things I thought it smelled disgusting and so artificial and cloying that I couldn't understand why it was so "iconic" and timeless.
Then I decided to actually spray it on my wrist and see what happened. After a little while I kept getting a whiff of it and it was amazing. You really have to let it work with your body chemistry before you can judge the smell. It was still powerful, but lovely. And I'm only 25, so it's not like I'm an "old lady."
This is better than most of the modern perfumes that don't last and are so insipid they make everyone smell the same.

on 10/4/2011 4:15:00 PM

I really disliked this one, and with this one I include all chanel scents I really thought of them as very cloying and old........ but that was when I was younger
I really think that you have to grow up a bit to be able to enjoy this perfumes.... the complexity and uniqueness of them

this is not like the trendy celebrity tacky fragrance or the designer easy perfume wich is fruity and floral and common and targeted to everyone.
this is a scent that will endure forever and will never go out of style it is a staple of what a true woman should be and should smell....... I you dont like it grow up a bit mature your nose and come back to be captured by it forever, some of use will find this earlier while others will take more time in liking it.....

soft powdery and perfectly balanced.... yuuuummmmmmm!

on 10/4/2011 2:15:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of those rare perfumes that absolutely wows me! I don't know alot about top notes and sillage etc. but this smells divine not too sweet but not bitter or sharp just beautiful! I think it smells a bit like coca cola :)
EDIT: while I absolutely LOVE this when it is first sprayed the dry down turns too chypre and powdery I hate to use this term but "like an old lady" (sorry it's just the description everyone understands).

on 9/15/2011 7:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

For such a so called iconic and sophisticated perfume i simply dont get it,i have smelt this a few times and to me it smells like chemicals and soap,maybe on some women it may smell good but i just dont understand why this is a top seller,maybe i not sophisicated enough to appreciate but i think it is a very overated fragrance.

on 9/14/2011 11:15:00 PM

revisited my edp, the weather is getting colder...wanting something maybe alittle heavier for the season transition. I'm not crazy about the top notes at all, but love the middle and the dry down....I'm really really crazy about this....pretty sure I will wear this all winter, in small doses...:)

on 9/7/2011 8:00:00 PM

I couldn't find the review for the chanel no.5 eau de parfum so I'm gonna write it on here. I got this as a gift from my aunt and it was I belive around 50-70$. I love the bottle because it gives a nice, light and even mist but I am not a fan of the smell I am 15 so this smell is way too old for me. I'm terrible at describing smells but this sent is definetly not floral to me anyways. So I may give this to my mom because she likes the smell so I would not repurchase this since the scent is too old for me :)

Popular Fragrances