October 25, 2014 | 1522 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 42 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED & REFORMULATED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2010 9:18:00 PM More reviews by 9Design

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

If I can't find anything better that won't make my face occasionally itch, then I will return to it.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2010 2:10:00 AM More reviews by olgaisme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Love this! It's the only foundation that works for me for a long time. Since I have oily skin and live in a tropical country, wearing foundation that provides protection from the sun is very important. When I tried it at first, I wasn't quite sure of what to expect because other brands of foundation that I have used before made my skin feel like it was burning after only a few hours and they melted off quickly, leaving an unpleasant feeling that made me want to wipe off my skin and plunge into ice cold water minute after minute. This product is a bit expensive, but for the quality that it gives, I'm giving it four stars. It's ideal for normal to very oily skin.

Pros:
    - great coverage
    - lasts all day long, doesn't smudge
    - high SPF
    - great for Asian skin
    - great for oily skin
    - non-irritating scent
    - easy to use
    - matte
    - light on the skin

Cons:
    - can make dry skin look flaky
    - not recommended if you're going to take pictures with flash. It can make you look ghostly.
    - dries up too fast if the bottle is almost empty.
    - cakes too much if you put powder foundation over it
    - difficult to take off

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2010 5:39:00 PM More reviews by groovinchic

I can't believe I haven't written a review on this yet! It's probably because I don't use this very often, but when I do I'm in love (why, then, do I not use it more often? I don't know).

Let's start with the coverage - it gives me good coverage, especially considering I have pretty bad hyperpigmentation. I don't usually have to wear any concealer with this! Bonus for that.

It's a pretty liquidy product, so it goes on lightly even though it has good coverage. Four or five hours into wearing it, I still feel like I have nothing on.

It stays on well and lasts through pretty extreme conditions. I just came inside from being outdoors in 95+ degree weather for four hours and it still looks great. You can't even tell on my forehead that I was wearing a hat! I then jumped into the shower to cool off - and the makeup still is awesome.

I have a pretty oily nose and unfortunately I do have to blot a couple times during the day with this foundation. Another plus side to this foundation, though, is that it doesn't give you too-matte, flat looking skin. At first it's pretty matte, but my face eventually develops a nice, natural and dimensional look.

It is a little pricey, but in my humble opinion well worth the expense.

One last thing - I've read some reviews about this causing people to break out. Of course, most products will affect at least a few people this way, so I'm not saying that you will never break out if you wear this foundation. I would like to bring up, however, that for long-wearing and high-SPF products like this, using an oil-based cleanser will really help to break down the product. I use the Shi oil cleanser and never have a problem with breakouts from this foundation (even though I do struggle with bad skin when I'm hormonal). So if you purchase this foundation, please include some type of oil cleanser in your routine.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2010 5:48:00 PM More reviews by bebe7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a great foundation: it feels very light, but it definitely provides med-full coverage. The squeeze tube is great and hygenic. I squeeze a little on my Elf flat top brush, and it's very easy to blend. I wear it in #30, which is just a teeeeeny tiny light for me, but not too noticeable. (My skin tone is light-medium Asian). It definitely is waterproof, I went to the pool with this, and my face was still perfectly flawless after swimming. I love the high spf in it. I have been a devoted fan of Revlon Colorstay. Both has great staying power and coverage. The only con about the shiseido is, it's very expensive for a little bottle :(
    also, I think CS does a better job at controling my oil production. This one is pretty good, but I do get a bit oily throughout the day, while with CS, I do not need to blot at all. Also, this does not break me out :). I use jojoba oil to remove it, and then I wash using my Clarisonic. Overall, this is definitely a great waterproof foundation, especially for the sunny summers in So Cal. I would buy this again, but I will only use it for during summer because it's quite pricey.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2010 12:17:00 AM More reviews by lisatqw

Great product. Great coverage. Feels really really light. Does not clog pores. Great Oil control. Love, love love! The SPF is really a plus!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2010 12:03:00 PM More reviews by mona377

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

great foundation for oily skin, great coverage this is medium to full and not sheer coverage. I have light skin and usually wear NC15 - NC20. SP30 is a perfect match and it is more yellow than SP20,

SP10 is more pink, overall, I love this foundation and it is HG for summer. Note if you have dry skin you may want to sample it first. My skin is very oily and this foundation really confrolled the oil.

Love this product and will buy it again and again

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2010 4:14:00 AM More reviews by cksa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really, really wanted to like this. It sounded so perfect--foundation and high protection sunscreen all rolled into one, plus a mattifying component to help me with my wealth of oil. And damn, if it didn't make my skin look freaking flawless! I just needed a tiny bit yet it covered EVERYTHING, and it lasted and lasted, but it seemed to come off fine with my then-makeup remover, Pond's Cold Cream. OK, it did make my skin look a little flat and mask-like (because the coverage was so unreal!), but some blush fixed that. I ordered this from StrawberryNet and guessed at the shade based on reviews, and it matched me pretty well (SP30, I think it was). I thought that I had finally found my perfect summertime foundation.

But...you knew the but was coming!...it broke me out in about a week. Not in a major, ugly, pustacular-cystic-volcano way, but my forehead did turn into a connect-the-dots kiddy page as it became studded with tiny little bumps like whitehead pimples, except they weren't coming to head and sort of looked more rash-like (but not red, thank goodness). I discontinued use immediately, and my forehead went back to normal after a couple weeks. About a month after stopping use, I decided to try it again. Bam, the dots came back, and in about 3 days this time! So I connected the dots on my forehead to the ones in my brain, and haven't tried this foundation since. Maybe I will again--the bumps seemed to go away without any scarring--but if it happens again, I will be chucking my bottle. I use Shiseido's SPF 55 sunscreen (yes, everyone's HG that got discontinued--I'm still working through my first bottle and have a second squirreled away, and I will be VERY sad when I finally finish that second one) and I have never had a reaction to it, so I really didn't think the foundation would break me out the way it did. YMMV, of course, and I have no idea what ingredient in the foundation would make me break out while the sunscreen didn't. Ah well. Back to my minerals! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2010 9:35:00 AM More reviews by AmyDbaby

I've been using this a few weeks and so far, so good. I am NC 20-25 and ended up with SP30. I find this gives good coverage while still looking pretty natural. I would say this is medium to full coverage but I can get lighter coverage with a damp BB sponge. This lasts very well and doesn't oxidize on my skin. It does seem to like to hug any flakes I have but I find this with a lot of foundations. Yes you have the shake the bottle and I'm not a big fan of the obnoxious bright blue bottle but whatever. I'll deal. Overall I am very happy with this and I'm sure I'll rely on it heavily over the summer.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2010 11:56:00 PM More reviews by SarahRN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Highly, highly, highly recommend this product! I can't tell you how much of a godsend this is! I have very oily skin and this is my HG foundation. I wear SP40. For reference, I wear NC30. I don't have to blot until about 1-2 pm. A far cry from any other foundation. It stays put, comes off easily with my cleanser and has spf to boot! I love this stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2010 1:50:00 PM More reviews by tressab

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

While you don't get a lot of product, you don't need much for each wear. I get pretty full coverage out of this, a flawless finish, perfect color and it lasts all day. Can't ask for much more. Oh, I wear retin-A and it doesn't settle in peelies or wrinkles. It is hard to get off, but I just use a cleansing oil.