September 3, 2014 | 1059 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Lovemymakeup

This is my very 1st lipstick and I bought it cause my hubby wanted me to wear red lol i love the staying power of this lipstick but i hate that it dries my lips bad

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 2:06:00 AM More reviews by cassandragrace

I was allergic to lippies. My lips get itchy and i get rashes around my lip area. For years, I wasn't really wearing any, i was afraid. It was boring. Not until, I got a job which requires me wearing full makeup. The makeup artist used MAC lippies on me. It makes your lips dry but i pair it with MAC lip conditioner to moisturize my lips first before putting ruby woo on. I'm a believer! Color brightens my face. It doesn't scatter because it's matte. It doesn't go to my front teeth after eating or talking too much unlike MAC's Russian red. It didn't give me rash and no itchiness anymore. I will definitely buy this! Again!! It's always sold out though! The best red lipstick, so far..

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2013 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Odieodie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I loved a lot of things about Ruby Woo, but I probably won't end up getting it again.

The pros, first! After you apply Ruby Woo, it is going to last all day. There's very little transfer while eating or drinking, which is pretty rad. It's a fabulous matte, and dishes up a very classic look that I loved. The colour is very noticeable, and you'll be sure to get many compliments! Overall, very good quality product!

As for cons, as you may have read before, this lip stick is suuuuuuuper dry. Even when I prepped my lips super well and put a little chapstick on after the fact, my lips sometimes still felt like two prominent deserts colliding at my mouth. It was something I got used to after a while, but it was a definite set back.

Another con was more personal for me, as I have a lot of pinkish and purplish hues in my skin (I've the delightful skin tone of a pale Irish potato, sadly), and lipsticks that have blue and purpley undertones sometimes are less than flattering on me. Now, Ruby Woo is fairly close to a true red, so it wasn't too bad, but some days (bad skin days, weird weather days, who knows) it would just look meh with my skin tone.

Overall, Ruby Woo is a fine enough lipstick! It just wasn't for me.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by RoseeO

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

absolutely love this color! I was scared to wear red lipstick but this color looks great on me (nw47). It really does work for every skin tone. Its a matte lipstick so dont apply on dry lips. I apply a bit of chapstick before I wear it. I get lots of compliments. Sometimes I line with my chestnut lip liner. The perfect red lip.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 6:35:00 PM More reviews by akneil

Love love love this lipstick. It is a great vibrant red with blue/cool undertones. I use a lipgloss on top and it looks fantastic. Sometimes when i need a bit of colour, i just dab it on my lips lightly to give them a little tint. it's perfect.
And not to mention it smells amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by samrnemtp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

The perfect red for fair skin with cool undertones. LOVE IT

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 8:55:00 PM More reviews by Klonophunk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ruby Woo, a special red.
This red will look more blue based on cool toned ladies and more brown based on warm toned ladies, but if completely opaque, it is a pure red with a magenta (a cool, true magenta) undertone. I am wearing it completely opaque, over Nivea Kiss of Milk& Honey lip balm. My lips are shaped such that lip color always ends up migrating outside the boundary of my lip. Therefore, I invested in some MAC prep and prime for lips to use specifically with Ruby Woo. This color, while high maintenance and very dry, is worth the extra care, in my opinion! I'll follow up on how it looks with the primer under it.

Well, the Prep & Prime for lips is really great: it truly does hold lipstick! One caveat is that the Prep & Prime dilutes the intensity of Ruby Woo. However, this is not really a deal breaking thing in terms of being able to wear this color with less boldness, it just takes more coats to get to opaque. And I'm seriously impressed by the way the primer keeps the lipstick hugging my lip contours evenly. I've written a separate review for the primer.

Wow, am I lucky that this was my first MAC lipstick experience! MAC lipstick is fabulous!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Ohviolet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

On my porcelain skin, this color is vivid and eye-catching in the best way. Instant glamour. And not as expensive as I would have though, about $14-15 dollars at the Mac store in NYC. It does last a long time but after awhile it dries my lips out and starts to flake off. Not so glam. I definitely recommend exfoliating and hydrating your lips before application. If you are the type who needs lip balm throughout the day, I'd go for a glossier color instead of Ruby Woo, which is super matte and drying.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Jstar668

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This color is an essential red shade...and necessary in every girl's make up kit! This blue based red is flattering on an array of skin tones and looks glam and amazing no matter what the occasion. I buckled and bought this shade after many months of contemplation and it did not disappoint. It is universally flattering and perfect for anyone ready to take on bold red lips! You'll be glad you did!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by NYMakeupJunkie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I fell out of love with MAC products 15 years ago and banished everything MAC from my collection, until I read on-line that Gwen Stefani wore Ruby Woo as her staple color. A Nars artist once told me she wore Red Lizard, which is my staple when I need to go all out glam for a formal affair. I knew there was a lot of hype over this shade, so I decided to try it with MAC Cherry lip liner. It did not disappoint!! Ruby Woo is classified as a cool red, but on my cool, fair skin I felt it was a little closer to a true red with subtle cool undertones. This shade has a lot less blue than Nars Red Lizard, and while it's bold and matte, it doesn't have the same punch as RL. The formula is a true matte, which is drying but looks chic. I used some lip balm over it as the day wore on, and the color lasted through two cups of coffee and was still noticeable after lunch. At half the price of Nars, I'll use this one for an every day red.