October 31, 2014 | 1503 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2013 3:54:00 PM More reviews by IamJasmine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

FAVORITE red lipstick! Yes, it is drying, but I do believe that it helps stay a ton longer because of its dryness. I pair this with MAC Cherry lipliner. :) My go-to red lip!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by MacNW45

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in deep love with this lipstick! It is the PERFECT red with a blue undertone. I wouldn't be able to say how many hours I've spent on Google trying to find out the perfect red for a brown skinned girl (MAC matchmaster 9.0) and when I saw Ruby Woo on some girl on YT I could not wait for the next morning so I can run to the MAC store!

It's the 50's kind of red, he pin-up red, the Marilyn Monroe or Elizabeth Taylor kind of red. Old and classy Hollywood.
It's not just a red people definitely stare at your lips when you are talking, trying to find out what's so charming about that red!

It's SUPEEEER lasting and has near to zero transfer: kissing, drinking off of a can, on a straw or plastic cup, almost nothing!

I just hate it when people compare Ruby Woo to Russian red, they are so different! And to my surprise, not even one swatch of Ruby Woo is fair to its true color (yup, not even the one from macosmetics.com!) you really have to walk into a MAC store to see for yourself how amazing it is.

Alright, now after all the loving, here's the one thing I HATE: the incredible dryness. You will read on many websites how dry Ruby Woo is and think "It can't be that bad, I can handle it." well you're in for a surprise! It IS that bad! I never had anything that dry on. It is powdery, chalky, Sahara-dry. No matter how moisturized my lips are, they become flaky after an hour or so of wearing Ruby Woo.

We all know that red lipsticks and matte lipsticks are a commitment, you need to prep&prime, moisturize and exfoliate your lips AND THEN maintain the color as you are wearing it. But Ruby Woo takes the whole thing to another level: you will get paranoid, and go check in the mirror every half hour to make sure there's no red flakes on your lips, and I don't know the worse part: seeing them or FEELING the million of dry flakes moving on your lips as you speak.

Even after all that, is it still my absolute favorite red? YES
Is it worth the once in while hassle? YES

This color is a commitment, you gotta have the guts to rock it flawlessly (flake-less-ly too!)

*UPDATE* I found my perfect moisturizing routine! I have been wearing Ruby Woo since 12 hours now and not a SINGLE flake or sing of dryness, awesome! Like me, try a 100% bio shea butter lip balm as an overnight lips mask and then in the morning just put a little bit on before applying the RW. Not too much though so you don't lose the matte effect.

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2013 12:23:00 PM More reviews by LadyRavenswood

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For the perfect pin up lips... My absolute fav !!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 10:31:00 PM More reviews by greenyshell

Hands down, the best of the best red lipstick out there. not to mention RW is Rihanna's favourite red lipstick!!
love everything about this lipstick, it can be drying sometimes but at least for me that's not a big problem. Can't wait for Riri Woo to be released =p

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Annelien1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

What to say about this cult favorite?
I adore it. Such a beautiful blue toned red. I am absolutely in love with it. It's very very very matte, very. But that's what I love about it. I wear it on itself. Next to Viva Glam 1 this is the best red lipstick EVER.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 6:27:00 AM More reviews by tiamoancora

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm an NC15 in MAC Studio fix, and have spent the last year on a lipstick kick. I've tried loads of different colours but always end up back at Ruby Woo. It's a classic retro blue-red, so makes your teeth look sparkly white. It is very dry, so make sure you exfoliate and moisturise your lips beforehand or it will show up every flaw. Because it is a matt lipstick it will stay on all night. I use this with MAC Cherry lipliner for an amazing bright retro red colour. I didn't give this full marks because of how drying it is.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Bina7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Indeed it's a pretty colour but this matte texture is so dry that it doesn't last long so long. If you're not so much about the colour I recommend you try Russian Red ;)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/12/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by orenjinominh

I used to consider revlon's really red as my HG red. A beautiful and classy red but it dried my lips out so badly. When I first got ruby woo I was disgusted with how it dragged across my lips....it is not matte...it is a stick of color that drags painfully. But of course the red held up all day and did not make my lips flake and dry like revlon. It is such a beautiful color and I get so many stares from men and women alike when I wear it. It flatters my yellow toned nc30 skin and I bet will look even better in the winter with my nc25 tone. I layer revlon lip butter in tutti fruity over this and it looks absolutely juicy and a fresh spin on a classic red. Not too cool toned and never turns fuchsia. I'm impressed. It is bold but not crash.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 8:10:00 AM More reviews by kiyamurph

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Warning...if you're not a confident woman or are not comfortable with people looking at you, then this lipstick is NOT for you! Ruby Woo is by far the best red lipstick on the market in my opinion. Yes, as other reviewers have said, it's very very matte and very drying, but this quality is what helps to make this lipstick last all day and all night. This lipstick is the type of matte red that was worn in the 40s, so if you're looking for that 40s/50s pinup girl look, then this is the red for you. As others have said, it's a bluish red and works great for dark skintones. I'm what others would consider to be medium dark (like Sanaa Lathan or Gabrielle Union) and it works perfectly for my skintone.
After only one application, Ruby Woo doesn't budge, and when I say it doesn't budge, I mean I literally put it on in the morning and I don't have to touch it up, even after eating and drinking. The first time I wore this I had to check periodically to make sure that it wasn't really fading as I hadn't touched it up all day and to my surprise it looked just like it did when I put it on. It does transfer a little bit when drinking, but the color still stays true. I also play roller derby and wear this for all of our bouts and even after sweating and rough-housing with other players, this lipstick STILL didn't budge.
For roller derby bouts I wear the lipstick like it is over Brick lipliner from MAC (perfect match), but when I wear Ruby Woo to work, I take Burgundy lipliner (also from MAC) and color that all over the lip over the Ruby Woo and it tones the brightness down a bit to make it more work appropriate. The Burgundy just slightly darkens the lipstick while still being able to keep the lipstick nice and red. I've gotten tons and tons of compliments on this lipstick and I've noticed that sometimes people will do a double take because it just screams look at me! I'm definitely not someone who vies for attention, but I am very confident in my self and know who I am and what I'm all about, and that's kind of the attitude you have to have when wearing this.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Lovemymakeup

This is my very 1st lipstick and I bought it cause my hubby wanted me to wear red lol i love the staying power of this lipstick but i hate that it dries my lips bad