Estee Lauder Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

New as of :)12/2012:Ingredients: water/aqua/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, trimethylsiloxysilicate, peg/ppg-18/18 dimethicone, butylene glycol, tribehnin, polyglyceryl-3 diisostearate, magnesium sulfate, tocopheryl acetate, polymethylsilsequioxane, methicone, laureth-7, xantham gum, alumina, sodium dehydroacetate, disteardimonium hectorite, cellulose gum, propylene carbonate, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, phenoxyethanol, [+/- iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499), mica, titanium dioxide (CI 77891)] Original: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: TITANIUM DIOXIDE 1.00% INGREDIENTS: WATER (AQUA PURIFICATA) PURIFIED, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE,TRIMETHYLSILOXYSILICATE, BUTYLENE GLYCOL, TRIBEHENIN, PEG/PPG-20/20 DIMETHICONE, SORBITAN SESQUIOLEATE, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE, METHICONE, LAURETH-7, XANTHAN GUM, ALUMINA, BHT, SODIUM DEHYDROACETATE, IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA, CHLOROXYLENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, [ /-(MAY CONTAIN)IRON OXIDES(CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), MICA, TITANI DIOXIDE (CI 77891)]

on 11/4/2012 8:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Really on the fence with this product. It does stay on all day, It does cover scars, it does control oil and it does cover pores. However its so incredibly matte that it sucks the life out of my PPP skin and you get that mask look no one wants. I feel like the walking dead, it flattens the face and takes any natural dimensions away. It might look good on those with medium or nicely tanned skin though. The smell really is not attractive, it reminds me of milk of magnesia, I'm assuming as this has a chalky look & feel that they use a similar ingredient that is in that. Also had issue in the application, it just felt strange in applying, it didn't feel good on the skin and slightly irritable. I possibly would buy it again if I was getting pictures taken or my oily skin became worse at some point. Its not the worlds worse foundation but it certainly isn't the best and doesn't deserve the praise it gets.

on 11/4/2012 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Finding a color match in this foundation was tricky for me. I am very pale and always wear one of the lightest shades in any foundation. I purchased DW in Sand, which appears to be much too dark for my face. However, this foundation actually turns lighter when you apply it and gets even lighter throughout the day.
I use a sponge to prevent a heavy mask like look. It doesn't look quite as natural as I would like but my skin is terrible so what can I expect? It stays on until I take it off.

on 11/3/2012 6:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I bought this product after reading all the reviews on here.

I tried 2 different colours - Bone and Sand. Bone was far too light. Sand is the closest I can get, but even this is too light - but the next colour is too dark.

The coverage is THICK. Like, your face will look as if you've stuck it in a bag of flour. All contours and colour shadings are gone and if you're not good at putting them back using bronzer and highlighter, your face will look 'flat' and lifeless and pasty.

If you look closely at the face, you can see the caked foundation and it makes pores look big even when they are not.

To be honest, I don't see what the fuss is about or why all the rave reviews. Perhaps if you have really bad acne and you need total coverage, you might like this - otherwise I really don't see.

I am now slowly using up these 2 bottles as under eye lighteners….

on 10/29/2012 7:53:00 PM

I've been using this for the past six months or so now, and have to say it is probably the best foundation I've ever used - however, that doesn't mean it is perfect.

What I like:
- Excellent coverage
- Long-lasting. Make-up tends to just slide off my combo/oily skin, but I usually still have some of this left by the end of the day.
- Colour is an excellent match for my pasty white English skin.
- One bottle lasts a long time. I'm still on the first one!

What I don't like:
- As there's no pump, getting the foundation out of the bottle is annoying and messy.
- Can be somewhat difficult to apply as it dries so quickly.
- For me, the results vary sooooo much depending on how you apply it. Looks great when I take the time to apply it properly with a brush, but if I'm in a rush I tend to just use my fingers and I always, always end up regretting it, as after a couple of hours it looks disgusting and sits in my pores until I'm pretty sure they're visible from space.
- Doesn't have amazing oil control on my skin. I still get annoyingly shiny after a few hours.
- It's really quite expensive.

Overall this is a good foundation that I would probably buy again, and the closest that I have yet come to the perfect foundation for me - but it's not quite close enough.

on 10/29/2012 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I live in Australia and just found out they have released new colours with yellow undertones!!!

I am NC25/30 in summer and Rattan is the perfect colour for my olive skin tone. For anyone who has had trouble with the pink undertones in the range please check out the new colours! I'm over the moon :)

on 10/27/2012 7:03:00 AM

I feel like I am the only one who doesn't enjoy this foundation. I used to like it until iI realised i got dark patches from it at the end of the day. I have two bottles and refuse to throw it out. I want to keep using it because it has such great reviews. If you have any tips on how to wear it and with what moisturiser and primer please let me know

on 10/26/2012 6:33:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This is my favourite workhorse foundation for my combination-oily skin. I spent months looking for a foundation that would:
- hold up all day against my oily T-zone
- look and feel comfortable
- be the right shade!

For reference I am probably right in between NC20 and NW20, and have always had trouble finding a foundation with true neutral undertones. 2n2 Fresco is perfect for me. I recommend this line to anyone with trouble finding neutral foundation, or who finds that MAC's shade selection of either pink or orange is.. lacking.

For those afraid it will be too cakey, heavy or matte, I would say unless you have dry skin don't worry about it. Learn how to apply it with a damp synthetic kabuki and you can take it from a light, fairly natural look to a fuller coverage if needed. I use the Sigma F84 which I prefer over, say, the F80, because the angle makes the hairs splay out and diffuse the product so it's sheerer and looks more natural - the F80 in contrast will pack the product in densely.

I personally like the matteness, not because I like a matte look but because with my natural oils over the day it looks very natural.. Not dewey or "like real skin" exactly, but maybe a satin finish. If it were less matte to begin with it probably wouldn't control oil as well.

I've had this on for about 12 hours many times and it looks freshly applied at the end of the night, and I really mean it - not just "oh it looks pretty decent for having been there 12 hours", I mean it looks *fresh*.

Obvious complaint is the bottle but you can get a MAC pump for this. It also doesn't photograph all that well with flash. Other than that, 10/10.

on 10/26/2012 2:34:00 AM

I love this foundation. Price wise for me personally as i live in Australia is $50 so thats the same as MAC Studio Fix. I am really pale and am in the shade Bone 14 (NC15 if that helps) I bought the MAC Studio Fix thinking it was going to be the best foundation i have ever had but well I was wrong. Everyone is always like get MAC its so good, it never comes off blah blah. But I got it I was so disappointed, i mean it looks AMAZING on and the Studio Fix over the top but it makes my face look powdery even if i hardly use any powder and it doesn’t last all day (it rubs off on my T-zone). Anyway Double Wear last from the time put it on (6:30) to the time i take it off (6:30-7) so it last a good 12 hours really well, and keep in mind i live in Australia and it gets extremely hot in the summer ( 35 °C or hotter so that would be like 95 °F + ?). I use the Estee Lauder Lucidity translucent loose powder over the top and it looks really nice because its so fine and does look powdery.

PROS:
Long - lasting
good coverage
perfect colour match
good range of colours

CONS:
No pump which is annoying because i like to tip way to much out but the you can buy the MAC pumps for like $8 and the MAC counter
And the price, i mean i dont mind paying $50 for a foundation if its worth it but it IS worth it and i would buy again, but it would be amazing if it was cheaper, and also the translucent powder is $68 but its .75 OZ/21g so it will last a very long time.

As for my oily T-Zone, the powder is really good at controlling the oil.

on 10/25/2012 11:10:00 PM

I dont wear much foundation, if it was up to me I would never wear it. Unfortunatley I am one of those people that have beautiful skin but horrible dark circles under my eyes. I have tried so many expensive concealers/foundations to cover them and nothing worked! Now, I wear any cheap concealer and follow up with PEBBLE foundation. It really does cover every thing you want it cover. No more dark circles. I do not have a problem with caking or dry skin. The only negative thing about this product is that it is very thick. You have to put very little on because if you over do it, you're head will not be the same color as your neck. I bought this product for the first time about 3 months ago. I still have more than half of the bottle left. It is expensive, $60, but it will last me about 7 months. So it is very worth it. Very happy with this product.

on 10/25/2012 8:46:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Oh the beloved Estee Lauder Double Wear...The notorious long-lasting foundation that every women adores. Where do I begin?

I've used DW for almost 5 years. When I initially bought this foundation, my main issues were covering up some hyperpigmentation, long-lasting formula and one that wouldn't turn me into an oil slick after a few hours. Guess what? This little baby addressed all the abovementioned things. And it performed beautifully. I never used a foundation quite like this. I was amazed and astonished that something like this existed for us!

Well, fast forward a few years, I noticed some things about my face. I did notice some consistant clogged pores on my cheeks, a rough texture (almost ruddy) and it dried my face alittle. I didn't like seeing my face like this. Yes, this baby is long lasting therefore you have to use some super magic makeup remover or cleansing oil. Even after using MAC Cleanse Off Oil, I noticed that my face was still rough in texture and dry. And like some reviewers here, this foundation can look cakey and age you in appearance. One thing I should mention is that this foundation did not cause breakouts for me. YAY! Also, I remember walking in NYC heat and when I got to work, I barely made a dent with this foundation. My face was still matte. I stopped using this foundation as my daily go-to. I will save this for special occasions and nights out. Again, I don't want to bash this foundation because I think it does a good job.

Here's my breakdown:

PROS:

Oil-Free
Long-Lasting
Few Ingredients
Does not Transfer
Sweat-Proof
Good Color Selections
Matte Finish
SPF 10
Does not feel heavy once it's set
Easily Available at all dept. stores

CONS:

No Pump (USE MAC's PUMP. It fits)
Difficult to Remove
Dries out Skin
Looks Cakey
Can cause white cast in flash photography
Dries fast so better buff onto skin quick

If you're going for the au natural look, don't look for it here. This is a full covergae foundation that has great potential to camouflage acne, acne scars, hyperpigmentation and all imperfections. I really don't dislike this foundation but I do feel like daily wear would not be good for the skin. I once saw my face in natural daylight and I was like, OMG! It looks like I have a ton of makeup. Didn't like that.

For women looking for a full-coverage, matte and long lasting foundation, this one is for you. It works despite the cons mentioned. I would recommend using a moisturizer beneath this foundation because it can show dry flakes.

For Reference: I am an NC 30/35. In the winter, I use SAND and in the hotter months with a tan, I use TAWNY.
Retails for about $32-35US.