August 23, 2014 | 1299 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear (old formula)

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2013 1:00:00 AM More reviews by NatashaR

I've been on the hunt for a good foundation for my skin type for a long time. My skin is extremely oily, acne-prone, and scarred...basically a nightmare. After a horrible experience with the Double Wear Maximum Cover Camouflage for Face and Body, I was almost ready to give up on Estee Lauder foundations. I ended up getting a 10 day sample of Double Wear- the colour was a perfect match for my skin. After I used up my entire sample I bought the full size. This is probably the best foundation I have come across. Medium-full coverage, decent oil control, and most importantly- doesn't break me out! Just a warning, though. This product WILL break you out if you don't remove it properly. I suggest using something like olive oil to help remove makeup, followed by a lathery gel cleanser and toner. Or if you can afford expensive makeup remover, I'm sure that works too!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by deedee2707

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've tried a lot of foundation, in the search for the perfect one for my extreme oily face. ELDW gives a matte finish, with medium to full coverage. The BA matched me with Tawny, my shade is usually NC37/40 with MAC studiofix. The finish immo is similar to studiofix or studiotech, but with a little loose powder, ELDW lasts much much longer. It stays in my face until I take it off in the morning before going to bed. Of course I still have to blot every few hours, for me it is a miracle.

The downside is, because of the full coverage, the face tends to get a little bit flat, so if you have a dry skin, you need to contour a bit or give a little highlighter on the cheek area. Since I have an extremely oily face, I don't need to, the oil will show within a few minutes, and gives me that dewy finish.

And the glass bottle, it's a little bit hard to pour a small amount on the top of your hand, maybe it's the consistency. I often pour too much than I need to.

Overall, this is my HG foundation that i wear on daily basis, i feel like i have something on my face, but it doesn't bother me, I learned to ignore it. I'm with my 3rd bottle, and will always repurchase until it is discontinued.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2013 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Nic767

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Good coverage, a little heavy

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2013 12:50:00 AM More reviews by mzcris

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am an absolute fan of this liquid foundation. It has shades that matches my very yellow yet tan complexion. It offers full coverage needing very little product. The matte finish controls my oiliness all day. It lasts all day as it proves itself to be "long-lasting." I have been using this product on a weekly basis (1-3 times/week) for four months. I have tried many liquid foundations and this has not made my hormonal acne skin breakout. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a pump but that's a packaging issue and not a flaw in the product itself.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2013 12:11:00 AM More reviews by fongyukyuu

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my first liquid foundation that I've tried and the first 2-3 times I tried it, I have to admit that I absolutely hated it; I have clogged, noticeable pores on my nose and it just served to highlight it. But otherwise, I loved how it evened out my skin tone; I didn't even realize how discolored my skin is until I put it on and I don't even recognize myself anymore! I looked like a perfect doll! However, to my surprise, I tried it again recently and it did not look bad at all; although it still highlighted my pores, it was much better. I cannot speak to oil-control until next time, but shade-wise, I think I found my true love!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by CheshireCat88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this foundation for years and will continue to do so, it glides on and stays put all day, i never even have to think about how it looks at all. It covers well and looks as good at the end of the day as it did in the morning.
The only con is that you really have to make sure its blended in well and you have no tell-tale lines on your face/neck.

Yes its expensive but definitely worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by tiggynink

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Double wear was the first high end foundation I ever used, and I still use it to this day! Although I may purchase other foundations, I always have this one in my collection as it is a must have for covering up problem skin. I am the colour ECRU and this suits my skin perfectly (in the winter!). I find with this foundation the shades are very skin like, unlike some cheaper brands which shades tend to all be a variety of orange!

Pro's
Full Coverage
Lovely true-to-skin shades
Covers up imperfections better than any other foundations
Transfer & sweat resistant - stays on ALL day
Matt finish
Doesn't feel cakey

Con's
Smells like paint
Gives you really bad flashback in photographs - not sure if this is just the pale shades, make sure you wear plenty of bronzer if you are going to be photographed!
Messy bottle

Given all the above, I will definately continue to purchase this foundation as nothing is comparable to it really. People comment on how lovely my skin is but its really not that great without make-up! If you are looking for a high coverage foundation that lasts all day then you will love this.

If you are looking for a radiant and natural looking foundation then this may not be for you.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by msjaim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

i normally use lancome teint idole & miracle in bisque 9w & suede 0 in the summer. ive heard so much about the double wear, so i went & color matched myself with the honey bronze 4w1. color match is great, but my skin has broken out so badly & I dont have stereotypical sensitive skin. Luckily i only had the sample, but this ish is a no go. now i have to work on getting rid of these bumbs ..boooo

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2013 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Moska01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love love this foundation. Hands down my favourite foundation!
Been using it for about 3 years, and everytime i want to change my foundation and try somethimg else, i regret it!
It stays on for THE WHOLE day! I have acne scar, and this covers it perfectly..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Gother

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

Just adding the zillionth positive review for this great foundation. I must confess I already have my own HG foundation, which is by La Mer (by the way it is owned by the same company, isn't it?).
But I sometimes turn to this for when I need a day long coverage that won't turn orangey or crease or result in dry patches and this is perfect. My shade, as for all EL foundations, is Outdoor Beige (I looove the name!), which matches perfectly my skin.
This review may be nothing new, but I highly recommend you run to buy a bottle!