November 24, 2014 | 1430 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 4 of 5 on 10/25/2012 11:10:00 PM More reviews by iluvivan

I dont wear much foundation, if it was up to me I would never wear it. Unfortunatley I am one of those people that have beautiful skin but horrible dark circles under my eyes. I have tried so many expensive concealers/foundations to cover them and nothing worked! Now, I wear any cheap concealer and follow up with PEBBLE foundation. It really does cover every thing you want it cover. No more dark circles. I do not have a problem with caking or dry skin. The only negative thing about this product is that it is very thick. You have to put very little on because if you over do it, you're head will not be the same color as your neck. I bought this product for the first time about 3 months ago. I still have more than half of the bottle left. It is expensive, $60, but it will last me about 7 months. So it is very worth it. Very happy with this product.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2012 8:46:00 PM More reviews by bonstamonsta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Oh the beloved Estee Lauder Double Wear...The notorious long-lasting foundation that every women adores. Where do I begin?

I've used DW for almost 5 years. When I initially bought this foundation, my main issues were covering up some hyperpigmentation, long-lasting formula and one that wouldn't turn me into an oil slick after a few hours. Guess what? This little baby addressed all the abovementioned things. And it performed beautifully. I never used a foundation quite like this. I was amazed and astonished that something like this existed for us!

Well, fast forward a few years, I noticed some things about my face. I did notice some consistant clogged pores on my cheeks, a rough texture (almost ruddy) and it dried my face alittle. I didn't like seeing my face like this. Yes, this baby is long lasting therefore you have to use some super magic makeup remover or cleansing oil. Even after using MAC Cleanse Off Oil, I noticed that my face was still rough in texture and dry. And like some reviewers here, this foundation can look cakey and age you in appearance. One thing I should mention is that this foundation did not cause breakouts for me. YAY! Also, I remember walking in NYC heat and when I got to work, I barely made a dent with this foundation. My face was still matte. I stopped using this foundation as my daily go-to. I will save this for special occasions and nights out. Again, I don't want to bash this foundation because I think it does a good job.

Here's my breakdown:

PROS:

Oil-Free
    Long-Lasting
    Few Ingredients
    Does not Transfer
    Sweat-Proof
    Good Color Selections
    Matte Finish
    SPF 10
    Does not feel heavy once it's set
    Easily Available at all dept. stores

CONS:

No Pump (USE MAC's PUMP. It fits)
    Difficult to Remove
    Dries out Skin
    Looks Cakey
    Can cause white cast in flash photography
    Dries fast so better buff onto skin quick

If you're going for the au natural look, don't look for it here. This is a full covergae foundation that has great potential to camouflage acne, acne scars, hyperpigmentation and all imperfections. I really don't dislike this foundation but I do feel like daily wear would not be good for the skin. I once saw my face in natural daylight and I was like, OMG! It looks like I have a ton of makeup. Didn't like that.

For women looking for a full-coverage, matte and long lasting foundation, this one is for you. It works despite the cons mentioned. I would recommend using a moisturizer beneath this foundation because it can show dry flakes.

For Reference: I am an NC 30/35. In the winter, I use SAND and in the hotter months with a tan, I use TAWNY.
    Retails for about $32-35US.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 10/25/2012 3:11:00 PM More reviews by hannahpatricia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Everyone raves about this foundation but I can't say I agree with the hype! I think ultimately I have the wrong skin type for this foundation. My skin type is dry/normal and when I first applied this I thought oooh lovely satin soft, I was rubbing it into my skin... couple of minutes later my face is a like a cement mask! That's with moisturizer & primer underneath! Despite this, it doesn't seem to settle into any lines so that's a plus. It certainly hides imperfections and makes your skin look smooth. I imagine this foundation is a God send for people with oily skin. But my word it dries tough! No danger of transfer. I tried putting my creme blush on top of it, I had to scrape it on and it simply could not blend it into my skin on top of the foundation! On my hands even the foundation dried like paint!!

I used the lightest shade and am one of those fair skinned women who has trouble finding a true match.. I would say the shade is close but too yellowy like so many brands! Annoying.

This is a good foundation I think but I would not recommend this to people with any sort of dryness in their skin, this really is a high coverage, heavy and drying foundation that is best suited for problem skin on the oily/imperfections end of the scale.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/24/2012 10:48:00 PM More reviews by Chichicra

My skin would best be described as Combination, (with the classic oily t-zone and dry cheeks), sensitive and dehydrated.

I find this foundation to be pretty good. I mean, it has good coverage, a good finish and is long lasting. It can be a little drying on my cheeks, and not particularly oil-controlling on my t-zone...so I take off one point for that.

In regards to the longevity of this foundation, It is one of the best I have tried (and I've tried alot!). I do find that instead of oxidising and turning a darker shade, it tends to look lighter at the end of the day (almost ghostly). Although I do have pale skin, when I put it on in the morning it's a nice, healthy colour but that does change. Can look cakey due to having to apply powder throughout the day to control oil, and I find that the foundation often seperates on my nose by the end of the day.

The Packaging is terrible! The screw cap lid doesn't seem to fully close properly and if the bottle happens to fall over, foundation runs all down the side of the bottle and it turns into a mess :-(

I have used 2 bottles of this foundation, and at $50 AUD a pop, they're not cheap, although a good price for a High-end foundation.

Still looking for my HG foundation, but this is pretty good for now. As summer is approaching, I'll need to add a darker foundation with it to create the right colour, although as my current bottle is almost empy, I may just purchase a new colour match.

Not bad EL, not bad!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2012 11:46:00 PM More reviews by vmmejia

This a full coverage, long wearing make up. I have oily skin, so I use this with a loose base powder, a must! Goes on nicely with a make up brush,and comes in several colors.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2012 6:01:00 AM More reviews by oykuipek

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love it! It covers so well. Any skin problem it will hide it immediately. Best foundation ever.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2012 2:45:00 PM More reviews by Ritarella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Finally! This is really The Foundation! It provides excellent coverage without looking cakey at all, shades are great (I am a perfect match to 3W1 Tawny, being a Mac NW25/30 and Intensity 3.0 in the DW Light), very easy to work with a brush, no need to set it (but if I manage to get a sample of the EL Lucidity Translucent Loose Powder I'll try it with that and update this review), no breakouts and lasting 12 hours.
    I went to buy the DW Light and the lady suggested I tried this one too and gave me a sample. Now I half regret having bought the DW Light as this provides a far better coverage. Anyway, will be my next buy after the light version is finished!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by bnavarro

Best foundation i have tried!! i love it! Coverage is excellent. Doesnt feel heavy at all. leaves skin flawless with a natural finish. Absolutely worth the money its around 35 dollars.
    UPDATE: Something changed about this foundation, it now gets greasy on me by the end of the day. bottle doesnt say it has spf anymore.Have been really disappointed with this foundation as it doesnt leave the same results as it once used to. Also, the color Sand Beige has too much yellow in it.. Defenitely , wont purchase this again:/

rated 4 of 5 on 10/12/2012 7:19:00 AM More reviews by amilia5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Why I keep returning to this product:
    - it is *almost* transfer resistant
    - lasting power is excellent
    - does not feel heavy
    - coverage is even, no blotchiness, no redness

If those three qualities are what is most important for you in a foundation, then you will not get a better match.

If you want something dewy, illuminating, or sheer, this is not it.

Common complaints:
    - difficult to remove, thus leading to clogged pores and breakouts. It removes easily with an oil cleanser, then some toner.
    - it oxidises. I agree that it used to, however this year I haven't noticed any oxidisation.
    - ghost face when used with night time flash photography. Again, I agree that it definitely used to do this, but in the last two years it has photographed beautifully. If in doubt, bronze up!
    - crappy/weird shades that do not match properly. Hooray for the new shades, maybe they are getting closer to correcting this.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/10/2012 6:39:00 AM More reviews by alisonjane

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

RUBBISH!!!! Does not control my oily skin at all, dries in FAR TOO QUICK and after about an hour my face looks as if i've dipped it in a chip pan. I also didn't like how the so called "expert" in House Of Fraser recommended the shade Fresco for me which ended up being far too dark for my pale skin. Her being an Estee Lauder advisor, I tought she'd know what she was talking about, so I took her advice and purchased it. It'll be the last time I ever take anyone's advice on my make up! All in all, a terrible foundation with an unjustifiable price tag. £27!!! Shocking. Not worth it at all. I wouldn't use this if they were giving it away for free lol.