April 20, 2014 | 1679 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2007 10:39:00 PM More reviews by shellyb4

I have very sensitive skin due to rosacea and was concerned about stinging as a number of the primers I've tried have either stung or "reddened me up". Neither has happened with Velvet Skin Coat. As long as I'm careful to use just a teeny amount (the size of a Le Seur baby pea) I get a perfect canvas for my mineral makeup. My makeup is staying on longer and has a nicer finish to it as a result. My pores appear smaller and the fine lines around my eyes less noticeable using Velvet Skin Coat. Love, love, love this product- I had samples sent to 4 friends plus my mom because this stuff is just brilliant.

EDIT: OK - I can't use this everyday or I get cystic zits on my chin and the edges of my face. I love the look of perfect skin but can only use this when I want to look flawless - like a special day/event. So - I have to drop it a lippie.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/10/2007 8:36:00 PM More reviews by chanelho

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Meh. Not worth the bother.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2007 3:21:00 PM More reviews by alexalindh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've tried multiple primer products, and DHC's is my favorite. It works just as well, if not better, than more expensive alternatives (Smashbox, etc.) and you only need a tiny dollop for your entire face. It's never clogged my pores and works perfectly with my mineral foundation. Even my mother uses it, and she very rarely spends money on cosmetics or skincare products.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2007 11:47:00 AM More reviews by Gladysky

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried the little sample packet of this product that came with the catalog. At first I liked it, but after a day or two of use I noticed some little bumps along my jawline. I don't normally get zits but I really didn't pay much attention and continued to use this product as I enjoyed how smooth and velvety it felt when I applied it.
By about the 3 or 4th day of use, i realized that it was giving me a horrific skin reaction. I had little and not so little bumps over my entire face!! Up close i looked like I had some weird skin disease.
A week later my skin is much improved but still not back to normal. I don't know if I had zits or an allergic reaction...but will definitely avoid this product!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2006 12:36:00 PM More reviews by lovesittxx

I had a sample of this, and I am glad I didn't buy this full size. It wasn't horrible or anything. It didn't make me break out or have any weird reactions, yet it wasn't incredible. I don't feel like it really did anything at all. I have used Smashbox Primer, and that was so much better in my opinion. It made my skin feel so incredibly smooth and silky, and I just didn't get that with this. Smashbox feels really light, but this feels kind of heavy. I just didn't like it =\

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2006 9:32:00 AM More reviews by joflo723

This stuff feels AMAZING on my skin, and makes makeup GLIDE on...but it makes it glide OFF too. I love the feel of it, and will wear it on days when I only wear translucent powder, but my foundation just won't stick to it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2006 11:45:00 PM More reviews by zoey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my 2nd time trying their sample (which supplies you with at least 3-4 days worth of applications). I really wanted to like this, especially with all the great reviews. I have oily, acne-prone skin and love using powder mineral makeup. When I used this alone, it did give a nice, velvet finish. But my problem is that I really need foundation to cover up my old acne scars & other discolored areas on my face. What this product did was it actually REPELLED my mineral makeup. I kept trying different techniques in using it (i.e. using more, using less, waiting at least 5-10 minutes after application) but the results were always the same. My mineral makeup simply would not apply onto my face.

This was an utter disappointment, as I've used a number of other (mostly silicone-based) face primers & never run into this problem. I'd advise you to stay away from this if you are using it with a powder foundation. Perhaps those who are getting fantastic results are using either liquid or cream foundations.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2006 10:24:00 AM More reviews by Yims

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just tried a sample and it was great! I did notice last night even after the evening's activities that my face look great and energized! So far so good, I haven't tried other primers yet though.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2006 4:03:00 PM More reviews by tabloach

Have you ladies tried an alternative, less expensive product? You should check out Monistats Chafing Powder Gel, use it on your face for a primer and it is the same texture/consistency without having your face break out..and it's CHEAPER!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2006 12:21:00 AM More reviews by lizsybarite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't use this terribly often, and when I do, it's because I want a full-coverage, pore-free, MADE UP FACE. And, amazingly, that's what I get. I have dry-ish skin and my pores aren't too bad, but a few around my cheeks and nose are prominent enough to bother me. This product... well, I suspect it clogs those pesky pores and prevents foundation pigment from settling on in. So be sure to wash thoroughly and avoid like the plague if you have a silicon sensitivity. But so far, no breakouts - just smooooooth skin. I have not compared this to the other popular primers like Smashbox, but I don't feel a need to stray, so that's saying something. One caveat: you don't get much for your money, so if you're an everyday-spackle girl, you may want to look for a better value. But otherwise, get a sample and see what you think! Luckily, DHC is awesome about sampling.