DHC Velvet Skin Coat

3.8

cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, HDI / trimethylol hexyllactone crosspolymer, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, silica, propylparaben

Seems people love it or hate it. I received it as a sample and immedately ordered the full size tube which will last a very long time. I agree with others that a little goes a long way. Makes for a nice flawless, smooth canvas for makeup application. Skin really does feel like velvet. I do admit this is my 1st primer so I dont have anything to compare to, but I really do love this product.

on 1/26/2007 1:22:00 PM

This is the same thing as MAC's Matte. I tried it, liked it but really didn't dig the price. MAC has a better price and more comes in the tube. I guess it depends on what you like. I never heard of DHC until they started flooding my mailbox with there catalogs. After shopping around @ places like Kiehls and MAC, I've found that for my budget DHC simply doesn't add up. You can find comparable products at these store that offer more product @ a better price. I've never heard of DHC. For my money (not to mention I am particular about what goes on my skin), I will stick with tried & true companies.

on 1/24/2007 12:32:00 AM

I have good skin, always get compliments, and wear makeup everyday. The first time I wore this, my husband admiringly asked if I had makeup on. Half elated and half wanting to smack him - I didn't tell him he's hardly ever seen me without makeup. I had a sample, used it everyday and ordered a full size product today.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Aw phooey. I really wanted to like this product, and in fact it worked beautifully as a primer when I tried it. Nothing else has ever made my skin look so PORELESS (especially on my nose, where unfortunately they're quite large), my foundation work more effectively, or my skin feel so smooth and, yes, velvety! Unfortunately, the DHC Velvet Skin Coat makes my skin break out. I have tried it on several occasions now, and I find that by the end of the night, or the next day, my skin breaks out in big, painful bumps, unlike my normal acne. I'm pretty sure it's the Velvet Skin Coat, because when I first put it on my entire face, the bumps appeared that evening on my jawline; the second time, the same occurred (with an even smaller amount applied; and desperate to make this work, I tried it yesterday on just my nose--and guess what? One big red bump on my nose. Sadly, although I thought I found my HG primer, this sensitive, acne-prone girl will have to find another product that will not break me out.

on 1/16/2007 8:17:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I use this product and love it. I do not use it every day but certainly use it several times a week. I did notice that I got a bump or two along my jaw line but I just made sure that I cleansed really well after that. I use mineral makeup and it works fine with it. It does not take much, maybe the folks having a problem with their makeup staying on are using too much.

I also use the present and like it, although your skin does not feel as velvety after you put it on. I did a face test with the two recently, one on one side of the face and the other on the other. I really could not tell much difference once my makeup was on and at the end of the day both sides were pretty much the same. I would use either.

on 1/14/2007 10:39:00 PM

I have very sensitive skin due to rosacea and was concerned about stinging as a number of the primers I've tried have either stung or "reddened me up". Neither has happened with Velvet Skin Coat. As long as I'm careful to use just a teeny amount (the size of a Le Seur baby pea) I get a perfect canvas for my mineral makeup. My makeup is staying on longer and has a nicer finish to it as a result. My pores appear smaller and the fine lines around my eyes less noticeable using Velvet Skin Coat. Love, love, love this product- I had samples sent to 4 friends plus my mom because this stuff is just brilliant.

EDIT: OK - I can't use this everyday or I get cystic zits on my chin and the edges of my face. I love the look of perfect skin but can only use this when I want to look flawless - like a special day/event. So - I have to drop it a lippie.

on 1/10/2007 8:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Meh. Not worth the bother.

on 1/7/2007 3:21:00 PM

I've tried multiple primer products, and DHC's is my favorite. It works just as well, if not better, than more expensive alternatives (Smashbox, etc.) and you only need a tiny dollop for your entire face. It's never clogged my pores and works perfectly with my mineral foundation. Even my mother uses it, and she very rarely spends money on cosmetics or skincare products.

on 1/2/2007 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I tried the little sample packet of this product that came with the catalog. At first I liked it, but after a day or two of use I noticed some little bumps along my jawline. I don't normally get zits but I really didn't pay much attention and continued to use this product as I enjoyed how smooth and velvety it felt when I applied it.
By about the 3 or 4th day of use, i realized that it was giving me a horrific skin reaction. I had little and not so little bumps over my entire face!! Up close i looked like I had some weird skin disease.
A week later my skin is much improved but still not back to normal. I don't know if I had zits or an allergic reaction...but will definitely avoid this product!!

on 12/28/2006 12:36:00 PM

I had a sample of this, and I am glad I didn't buy this full size. It wasn't horrible or anything. It didn't make me break out or have any weird reactions, yet it wasn't incredible. I don't feel like it really did anything at all. I have used Smashbox Primer, and that was so much better in my opinion. It made my skin feel so incredibly smooth and silky, and I just didn't get that with this. Smashbox feels really light, but this feels kind of heavy. I just didn't like it =\

Popular Primer/ Correctors