November 21, 2014 | 965 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals ALL

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2012 12:05:00 PM More reviews by dieffenbachia

Skin type:
oily t-zone, prone to oiliness on the cheeks, sensitive and acne-prone. I've had acne since a teenager and am approaching my thirties and have never shifted it for more than a couple of months at a time.
Impact on acne-prone skin:
Does not clog, does not make me break out as long as I clean my brushes regularly
Coverage:
Buildable coverage, however probably not as much as I would like - it doesn't cover any hyperpigmentation.
Finish:
Slightly shimmery, dewy finish which does not sit in pores. However, you have to be careful to follow their technique and buff gradually to build up the coverage otherwise it will look cakey.
Staying power:
Will come off if you rub it, so be careful who you hug!
Colour match:
I am pale, with a cool-pinkish undertone, but will tan if I build it up gradually. Fairly light is probably the best match but TBH their range of tones is not ideal. I recently discovered Alima online and have ordered some of their samples bc they have a MASSIVE range.
Packaging:
Not ideal for portability, the powder gets everywhere!
Value for money:
The foundation pots last ages. If you were applying every day with touch-ups I would say one pot would last about 6 months.
I am using one still that I've had for a few years - mineral powders have longer shelf-life than other foundations.
************************************************
Overall:
I quite like the foundation as it doesn't make me break out and have repurchased several times. Though I'm still on the look out for a better foundation which would be suitable for my skin as the colour-match, coverage, and durability are not ideal.
I've not tried other mineral foundations so I cannot compare the finish and have just purchased Alima samples so will update.
As a powder it is helpful for oily skins as it absorbs oil. However, you may need to reapply during the day because it won't reduce oil production.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2012 4:13:00 AM More reviews by annettepe

I love the finish of this product. It doesnt break me out, gives me a natural looking coverage. A little goes a long way, since it can look a bit cakey if too much is applied. One thing i really dislike about this is the fact that its a loose powder. it just gets everywhere and takes more time to use. But its worth it because i feel like loose powders tend to give a more natural finish compared to compact powders.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2012 12:10:00 AM More reviews by moosey2010

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is a difficult one to write. I want to give the product 3.5 stars. I just switched to liquid foundation after maybe 4 years of using this. Here is what I think:

The Good: this makeup gives you the most airbrushed, natural look ever. I have pretty good skin, with the occasional break-out, and this covered everything up well. It didn't make my skin oily and it stayed on all day.

The Bad: on occasion, if I was out in the sun or somewhere hot where I was sweating, this stuff would make my face itch LIKE CRAZY. It was extremely uncomfortable. In addition, I got a little carried away with their claim that this make up is so pure, you can sleep in it. I fell asleep with this stuff on MANY times... it feels so lightweight, you sometimes forget you have make up on. Which leads me to the worst part... cystic acne. I'm not 100% positive that this is what caused it... or maybe it's a combination of the make up and the fact that I would sleep in it. But I don't wear make up every single day, and I started noticing that the pimples would pop up a few days after using this product. Lastly, I have some discoloration around my mouth like most people, and I didn't think this product covered it up as well as foundation does.

Moral of the story: If you like the look of this and it doesn't make your face itch or break out, stick with it. But PLEASE wash it off every night. But if you are seeing acne, especially cystic, maybe it's time to try something else. I have been using liquid make up for about 3 weeks now, and so far I haven't had any cystic pimples pop up... fingers crossed.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2012 10:31:00 AM More reviews by Kathy123

I had a love and hate relationship with this makeup until I found out how to use it correctly. First, a message to the gals with very oily skin like me, use a primer unless this will not work for you. I use Claudia Stevens from Sally's and it holds my mu in place until I wash it off. Second, get a good brush that is soft and is made for mineral mu. I use Femme Couture brush for mmu. Third, I absolutely love this mu because of the shades. You cannot go wrong with the shade selection. I am between NC30 and 35 but I am not as yellow and Golden Medium is the best match. Fourth, this mu comes out great in photos. You do not look made up or shiny or dead. It is perfect for those who are in front of camera most of the time. MUFE HD does not even come close to what this mu can do for you. Highly recommended!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/26/2012 1:23:00 AM More reviews by BattyBetty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really thought this stuff was going to be a Godsend when I finally bought it. I have very acne-prone skin along with dry flaky patches, large pores, a really bad blackhead problem and more.

Before this, I was using Neutrogena liquid foundation because I was hoping it would curb my acne. Instead, every night towards the end of my shift at work I would notice pimples cropping up all over my face-and not just red spots either. Fully ready, white head pimples!

SO-I switched to BareMinerals and I stopped breaking out every time I used makeup. All you have to watch out for is to remember to clean your brushes very regularly.

So on that note, yes. It doesn't make me break out and that's good. It's one of its most redeeming qualities.

However, the bad parts about this product outweigh the good. When you first apply it it looks terrible (at least on me). It attaches to the fine peach fuzz all over my face that everybody has and makes my face look ashy and weird. In places where my skin was dry, it would settle into the cracks and make it look a million times worse. I had to wait a few hours before my skin naturally released oils for it to sort of melt into something that looked natural and not like I just threw talcum powder onto my face.

Not to mention, it has a terrible habit of settling into any tiny cracks and pores and lines you may have and making you look 50 years older.

Make sure you know what your undertones are because the first time I went to purchase this from 2nd Street beauty they matched me with pink undertones and the makeup didn't match my neck and left my acne (that I am specifically using this makeup to cover) looking PURPLE and disgusting.

All in all, I wish this product worked better than it does but right now I'm just not feeling it-especially for that price. I am a tightwad and makeup especially falls under my penny-pinching scrutiny. Unless this is a miracle product I can't even justify how anyone could spend that much money on a so-so powder.

Pass.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/20/2012 4:07:00 PM More reviews by allmyfriendsarecowboys

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have mixed feelings about this foundation. Here's why:
Pros:
-Good color selection makes it easy to find a flawless match
-Leaves a pretty finish that isn't too heavy or powdery (in other words it's not cakey as long as you're careful during application)
-It was good for my sensitive skin. It didn't make me break out
- It stayed on as long as I wanted it to (basically until it was removed)
-I liked the fact that it covered breakouts fairly well on it's own and didn't draw anymore attention to them
Cons:
- I really hate the "Click, Lock, Go" packaging because I feel like I'm not getting the same amount of product that I would if the container would just open all the way
- It takes too long to apply (at least IMO)
-It's overpriced for the quality of product that it actually is.
At times when applied it can just look cheap, streaky, and fake no matter how hard I try to blend it.
*Overall I wasn't very pleased with this foundation and I don't see the reasoning behind all the hype. Honestly I think you could get a better foundation (mineral, liquid, cream to powder, etc.) at the drugstore for pratically a third of the cost of BM. Even though I liked the makeup somewhat I just wouldn't buy it again because I feel like it's not worth it. BM is kind of a rip-off. My advice to you would be stay away...far away!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/18/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by bbonnieee

I've used powder foundation since I first started using foundation (I'd use liquid when my skin was really dry but I would always revert to powder). Starting with drugstore powders to Korean BB powders, I've decided to take the financial plunge and try Bare Minerals, the powder everyone seemingly raves about. I only had to use it twice to notice key +/- factors:
+ good coverage (best of all the powders I've used)
- messy application (I personally don't like loose powder)
- makes my face sticky (but not oily) after a couple of hours
- cakey (I've never had this problem with any of the powder/liquid foundations I've tried)
Had to return this after two uses. Definitely not for everyone.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/17/2012 10:58:00 PM More reviews by ewin101

This product is fairly expensive, and because of the seasons my skin tone tends to change. So this might be a some-what good product in the summer, but it the winter, because my skin tone is much lighter, it doesnt match. And they say powders like this are good for oily skin, it look really blotchy after a couple of hours. And if you have dry skin in the winter, stay farrrr away from this. The makeup will be too drying. And i feel i have a allergic reaction and clogged pores from this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 9:57:00 PM More reviews by viennah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm giving this a Two Lippies because it is great for photoshoots. It gives the skin a beautiful soft glow that looks almost like its naturally airbrushed. But it's only good for photoshoots because it just melts off within an hour. It's not practicle at all. First of all, its so messy, and so much ends up getting wasted. It's nearly impossible to travel with or carry in your purse. It quickly settles into pores and lines, makes any dry area of your skin look worse, and gets melted off by the slighest bit of oiliness. It just kind swims on top and floats away. I can't believe how ugly and gross my skin looks after an hour of putting this on. I would much rather go out without any make up on than being seen with this crap on my face, yuck. I might as well wear a neon sign over my head that says "hey check out ALL my flaws!" I tried all the tricks and always get the same results. It all comes off as soon as anything touches your face. Waste of my money, doesn't live up to the hype.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by _starry

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow. If I ever had a life changing product it would be this. My top 3 requirements in foundation are 1) Doesn't break me out/ irritate my skin 2) the color match is good 3) It lasts a good 10+ hours. Bare minerals is the first foundation to meet all my requirements. I am prone to irritation and clogged pores from wearing face makeup but Bare Minerals does not clog my pores not does it make up face itchy and irritated. One thing I will say though is Bare Minerals tends to accentuate what you have. So, if you have clear skin it will looking amazing and glowing, but if your skin texture is rough it will accentuate that. It also does accentuate dry patches. But other than that I think it's perfect! I haven't even been tempted to try every new foundation that comes out. My quest for an everyday foundation is over!!!!

BTW I think some people are disliking BM because of the way they are applying it. When I first used it, I disliked it too. It is important that your skin in moisturized before application. I apply a moisturizer then conceal any spots. Then I use the Sephora Mineral Powder Brush #45 to buff on the powder.