April 16, 2014 | 943 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Surf Spray

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2007 10:48:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

I really appreciate the fact that this actually smells like the ocean, unlike other beach hair-type products I've tried, which tend to have coconut or suntan oil fragrances.

Generally speaking, I like this product. I have shoulder-length, layered, healthy and smooth, straight virgin hair that tends to lack volume at the roots. On good hair days my hair has texture and movement. On bad hair days, it's too silky and just lies there like a limp curtain. To ward off flat hair days, I spritz some Surf Spray into my (mostly dry) roots, sort of smoosh it around with my hands, then comb my hair to pull some product down to the ends. Then I'll stick my slightly damp hair into a messy bun and let it air dry. I take it down and the result is a good amount of texture and definition of my layers. If I want a wavier effect, I'll spritz on more all over, use my fingers to comb it through, then stick my hair up into two tight buns on either side of my head and leave 'em in until my hair is relatively dry (or blast it with a hairdryer if I'm running out of time). A quick spritz of hairspray and I get lovely, touchable waves that last all day.

Overall, I like this waaaay better than the John Frieda Ocean Waves stuff I was using before, which was too greasy and just weighed down my hair. Surf Spray will probably be drying to people with less oily roots than mine, or with more damaged or fragile hair, but it works fine for me. It's expensive and I think the bottle is a bit small for the price, but I'd repurchase.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/29/2007 6:39:00 PM More reviews by sachitahara

It is difficult to turn my stick-straight Asian hair into anything but. I have more or less resigned to the fact that my hair will never look like Gisele Bundchen's, and that's okay. Nevertheless, I try. This product doesn't do a whole lot for my hair on its own; I still have to curl my hair with a flat-iron in order for the wave to hold, and scrunching my hair while drying with a diffuser just makes me look like I slept on my hair wrong. Bumble & Bumble actually recommends that you layer Surf Spray over their Grooming Creme, which I have yet to try out. I'm not holding my breath, though.

I do, however, think this product would work great on people who already have some sort of texture to their hair.

I've tried many texturizing sprays, and this one works the best since it doesn't make my hair feeling totally tacky, dry, or dirty.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2007 11:51:00 PM More reviews by kelseydawn

On days that my wavy hair is struggling to get volume this product is awesome. One spray and a little scrunching perfect!! Although its a little salty I don't mind as I don't use it for my whole head. The only thing I don't like is the packaging. There's no lid and traveling with it is always scary.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2007 3:31:00 PM More reviews by thighhighboots

I love this product. The only reason I gave it a 4 is the price. This adds great texture to waves--I spray it on my hair, braid it, and when I take it out of the braids, my hair has more volume and wave. This is not a curl spray, so I don't think it would work for anyone with straight hair looking for curls. What it does is add volume and texture. For me, the look is more bed head than surf, but I love the messy curls look anyway. As others said, this doesn't add shine, so don't expect it. I usually apply some biosilk first, for shine and softness.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2007 7:31:00 PM More reviews by Product_Junkie

EEK! Used this b&b product as well some years ago, when the majority of my hair products were higher-end. This stuff was awful, made my hair crunchy and dry!! I ended up returning it as well. I prefered John Frieda's Ocean Waves (now d/c'd) because it made my hair softer and piec-y looking.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2007 5:33:00 AM More reviews by bluemelon

Is it just the bottle I've got, or does this stuff smell really bad? Mine smells like rotting grapes. I finally bought this after I saw it on Strawberry Net cheaper than retail. I had contemplated buying it nearly 2 years ago, but stopped myself because I couldn't justify the price.

It does help give my curls a more messed up look, and the finish is matte & 'crunchy', which is what it intended to do. But the smell is horrid for me & I think I will try another brand next.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2007 4:41:00 PM More reviews by tropicaldreamx3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This stuff does EXACTLY what I want it to do- which is give me some volume + lift at the roots and give me beachy-wavy just- rolled-out-of-bed hair. It doesn't make it look too messy at all. Perfect sexy beach hair! It smells pretty good too. Easy spray bottle. The only gripe I have is the price, it's pretty expensive. It's a matte texture so don't be expecting any shine though! Didn't feel like I had anything in my hair either. I added some shine serum on top to make it shinier and smooth down my hair at the top a bit. If I can't find anything cheaper that works like this does- deff. HG!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/12/2007 8:44:00 PM More reviews by Caligurl408

I had this product in my bathroom cabinet for a while before I began using it. I use it as a volumizer and it gives awsome volume. When I do spray it through my hair it adds a nice, messy texture which I love. The only problem I have with this is that it leaves my bathroom sink all grainy and salty but I do love what it does with my hair. If you add a little shine pomade or serum it makes the matte finish disappear and you get sexy, full, bed head hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2007 4:43:00 PM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Didn't work too well for me. My hair is straight and it's in a growing out phase right now. I was hoping this product would add some thickness and a little bit of lift at the roots. All it does is make my hair feel rough and look like I just tumbled out of bed. I expected it to be like John Frieda's Ocean Waves (it's been discontinued), which had some oils in it to add some shine and moisture. Bumble and Bumble's Surf Spray is just perfumed saltwater.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2007 1:33:00 AM More reviews by kyleyk

This product seems like a really light hairspray to me.

It doesn't really give the proper amount of moisture to achieve the beachy hair look, if you ask me. Also, the strong perfumy scent really does not smell beachy at all which is strange in a product marketed to evoke that feeling.