August 29, 2014 | 1977 users online

Styling Products - Bumble & Bumble - Surf Spray

rated 4 of 5 on 2/13/2008 10:10:00 AM More reviews by lemfloyd

I started using this product when I got my long hair chopped into a more layered bob style. Once I got used to it, I really liked the effect it gave my hair. It leaves a nice textured effect with a matt finish. I find it very easiy to style my hair with this in it. My ahir is naturally quite shiny and soft with a natural wave. I need to blow dry my hair well and then straighten it with GHDs to get a sleek style. So, I use this when I don't want to go through the motions of straightening. I use this instead, wet, and then blast dry my hair and I am left with a good textured, tousled style. Great!
I like the smell too!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2008 6:16:00 PM More reviews by mmmmary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I actually really like this and used it fairly regularly when my hair was longer and layered. I have had pin-straight hair all my life and the only way I could do anything about that was to get a perm, which I don't like doing since I have to color my hair as well. Fekkai Wave Spray did NOTHING for me. This actually gave me waves:-))) It was very fun to be able to wear a different look and have it even last a couple of days. It's not something you would be able to brush through without decreasing the effect, but I think that's kind of to be expected, isn't it? I found the texture of my hair with this much less distressing than its texture when I used the B&B Thickening Spray. Now THAT felt crunchy! Also, I love the smell of Surf Spray, though in any case, it doesn't linger.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2008 7:18:00 PM More reviews by viajake

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Yuck! This dries out the hair, smells like an old diaper and generally is a huge ripoff! Leave it on the shelf, ladies.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2008 6:19:00 PM More reviews by obzessd

I don't like this -- doesn't leave my hair soft and beachy like it promises, plus I don't like the way it smells (I'm comparing it to John Frieda's discontinued product). Instead, I get crunchy hair, and I have to apply a lot of product to get it to go through my hair. I know there is a lot of hype about this product, so maybe I'm not using it right, but I just don't see what is the big deal about this product. I'd normally give it 2 lippies b/c I tend to round up rather than down, but b/c of the price and hype, I have to knock it down to one.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/9/2008 6:07:00 PM More reviews by Lesley85

I liked this product when I first tried it, it texturized really well...but after an hour or so I noticed how dry my hair looked...like major split ends and frizziness. Also it was very sticky and stiff, like ratty looking. I was so diasappointed with this. Also I noticed that I needed to use a lot od product to get any affect in my hair...but that just made the stiffness worse.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/29/2007 10:57:00 PM More reviews by utchick016

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i dont know why but i really love this. i spray it alll the time in my hair when i get out of the shower and let it air dry without brushing it. i have no idea why i like it?

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2007 3:39:00 PM More reviews by bagella

This smells awful and it REALLY dries out your hair.
But, if you have the right texture for it (aka, soft/wavy hair), then it'll work magic for you. I happen to have soft, fine, curly hair, so this is of no use to me on most days. But on days when I want my hair turned into beachy waves, I straighten my hair, apply surf spray, braid it and go to bed. In the morning, I unbraid and style lightly with finishing cream and VOILĄ. Amazing, gorgeous beach waves. Unfortunately, this entire procedure, however lovely the result, takes way too much time for me, meaning I never actually do it, which in turn means I basically have no use for this product, thus the mediocre rating.

But the bottle, with it's sleek black coating, and turquoise/yellow lettering, is the hottest thing in my bathroom.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/20/2007 5:13:00 AM More reviews by knez

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I tried this product several times....also in search of that "out of the sea and air-dried look" with really perfectly defined ringlets of hair. No way! The thing simply glued my hair into mini bird“s nests that I had to was twice over with a purifying shampoo. I tried many times before I completely gave up. Maybe they should revise the instructions for use?!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2007 5:06:00 AM More reviews by Carciofi

Yuck. I only feel compelled to give it two whole lippies 'cause there's always the possibility that I just never really figured out how to use this stuff -- but I tried harder than you can imagine... I really wanted to like it since I love the way my hair is after a dip in the ocean and drying in the sun, but this spray gave me nothing close to that effect. More like a really sticky, crunchy mess. I used it SO many times and for SO long -- I kept trying it and putting it back away, peeved that neither I nor it had changed enough to work well together -- and each time I felt like an idiot for going back and using it again...

I agree with another reviewer, who mentioned John Frieda's Ocean Waves, which, apparently, has been discontinued (...and "replaced" with that Brilliant Brunette wave spray stuff? It doesn't even come close to the old stuff they made. That was awesome -- I figured out how to use THAT one!).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2007 4:02:00 AM More reviews by mallorysusan

My hairstylist recommended this to me, and I'm so glad she did. My hair has a natural wave that very few products could bring out in the way I wanted them to. Surf Spray is the one that gives me exactly what I want. I get that "just back from the ocean, messy but still put together" look. I've found that even though it has a matte finish, I don't need anything else. Plus the hold and scent are fantastic. Despite this being the most I have ever spent on a hair product, I will continue to repurchase. Definite HG.
P.S. If you want to see the waves it gave me, go look at my first picture.