July 31, 2014 | 1019 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 3 of 5 on 12/25/2011 1:51:00 PM More reviews by lexigal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Jojoba oil...you made me sad. :(

I have very oily skin - large pores, and have only now at the age of 33 (almost 34) been able to get my skin to the point where I rarely break out. After 21 years of skin issues I've tried every Rx product along with every drugstore product ever marketed and finally gotten my skin to the point where it looks very good - or at least as good as my skin will ever get.

The best acne cure is not found on a shelf...Eliminate sugar and simple carbs, drink plenty of water and get adequate rest; screw around with supplements like Zinc, B vitamins, etc. What works for one person won't work for all, but acne is absolutely linked to diet and lifestyle. Try to make your body more alkaline; it's good for preventing acne as well as health and disease prevention in general. Start off every day with two cups of warm water with the juice of a lemon in it, your skin will improve. (I know lemons are acidic but have an alkalizing effect on the body.)

To those of you in your late teens/early 20's who are still struggling, please know that many of us feel your pain and about the only consolation I have to give you is that you WILL look amazing for your age and from 30-60 when your drier skinned counterparts are wrinkly and crepey, you will for the first time feel appreciative of your grease! My oily skinned buds and I have zero wrinkles and easily pass for being a decade younger. Just hang in there, sisters. Just hang on.

Being the masochist that I am, I recently decided that I wanted to change skin and haircare products as it dawned on me the inconsistency between eating "clean" and then slathering my face and hair in chemical-laden products. So, over a period of months I switched to simpler products and my skin was still good. While it was not "glowing" as it had been with the chemical AHA/retinol arsenol it also wasn't breaking out so I was satisfied enough.

Enter Jojoba oil. I read glowing reviews here and elsewhere and finally had the courage to pull out the jojoba oil that had been on my shelf for a year. Derms and the skincare world at large were wrong about many skin-related issues, so I reasoned it made sense that just as a low-fat diet can be unhealthy, an oil-free skin regime to prevent pimples may be more bunk. I washed and applied a few tiny drops and rubbed in well. Skin felt great and the miracle of all miracles happened: I WAS NO LONGER OILY! No matter what I have used on my face in the past, around noon my forehead was shiny...until now! I went all day without a hint of shine on my face.

Well, after about 1-2 weeks of this non-oily perfection, I began to break out in tiny zits all over my forehead, around my mouth and the jawline. Even little buggers on my cheeks which never, ever happens. My skin hasn't looked like this since pregnancy or since I was a teen. Now, is this a purging? After all my AHA and retinol use I just don't think so. I'm in the camp of gals who when I break out like this it isn't a phase but a reaction. And...I'm super sad that jojoba oil didn't work for me. My skin just loves the damn chemicals.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2011 More reviews by crazyfrog13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

My story: I have extremely oily skin and have been struggling with whiteheads all over my cheeks, forehead and jawline for a few years now. After doing some research, I discovered that this condition is likely "acne cosmetica" (google it) and that foundations and moisturizers are likely the culprits--my skin was always pretty clear before the beauty and skin care industries duped me into thinking that I needed all these extra products to "care" for my skin. So after learning this, I decided to go all natural and started reading about all the benefits of jojoba oil as a cleanser/moisturizer and decided that I was going to use nothing but jojoba on my skin.

My experience with jojoba: At first, I was terrified to put this on my face, fearing that it would cause a massive breakout. So to start I tested it on my chin and nose since I don't normally break out there. So far so good. I eventually worked up the courage to use this all over my face as a moisturizer after using my normal cleanser. For the first couple of weeks, I was happy. My acne wasn't cured, but it seemed like it was getting a bit better, and my skin felt really soft and had a bit of a glow, so I thought that with patience, things would eventually improve. I mistakenly thought that using more of this stuff would speed things along and that I would finally be rid of these annoying whiteheads. I started using this as my one and only skin care product. I used it to cleanse and moisturize my face. I did this for several days and now my skin is worse than ever. I started breaking out in pimples--even getting pimples in weird places like the outer edges of my eye area. That to me is a dead giveaway that a product doesn't agree with my skin. I've stopped using jojoba and have just gone back to cleansing my skin twice a day with a gentle cleanser and things are slowly improving.

I don't normally write such lengthy reviews, but I wanted to share my experience with the hope that others will use this product with caution and not make the same wrongheaded mistakes that I did. Despite all of the claims that jojoba mimics skin's sebum and is non-comedogenic, it absolutely can and does clog pores and cause breakouts in certain individuals. Be especially careful if you are oily and prone to acne cosmetica.

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2011 1:36:00 PM More reviews by oceanblue42

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have only been using this for about a week but I think I have found my HG moisturizer!

I have skin that gets oily pretty fast after washing, to the point where by the end of the day, it feels like an oil slick and my makeup just rubs off. The theory behind using jojoba oil seemed to make sense (oily skin is actually dehydrated and overcompensating by producing so much oil) and it really seems to be working!

I do find that how I use it affects how effective it is. Applying it right after washing my face seems to work the best, or at least making sure I apply it to damp skin. I also find you need very little and it's easy to over-apply, which will leave your face very oily. If I've let my skin dry out before applying it, or if I've applied to much, I just take a damp wash cloth and dab gently at the oily spots to remove the excess that's not sinking in properly.

After I've used the right amount and let it sink in, my face is shiny, but not oily feeling. Once I apply my makeup (usually primer, liquid foundation, and finishing powder) it looks great! No more shine. Now, that's how my face normally looks right after applying makeup so the real test was if it would STAY matte. And it did! The few times I've used this as a moisturizer have been the ONLY times I can remember when my face did not get oily by the end of the day. It stayed matte all day long! Finally something that works!

I've also been using it at night before bed. I apply it more liberally at night since I'm not concerned if my face looks greasy and I figure the extra moisture helps. I also apply some to my eyebrows since they tend to be fairly coarse and scraggly and this seems to be softening them and taming them a bit.

If you're finding this stuff isn't working for you, I recommend experimenting with how much you put on and when before giving up on it, as method seemed to make a big difference in its effectiveness for me.

The one issue I have with it is the packaging. It's very easy to pour out too much and it gets messy fast. After a week the top of mine is already oily. That's a pretty minor issue as far as I'm concerned though, considering this works so well for my face. I think maybe an eyedropper as a few others have mentioned would help with the packaging issue.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by d0llie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my #1, can't live without, must have product. It is a bit pricy depending on where you buy it, though. I would recommend buying it on iherb.com. It is regularly priced about $9.00 there which is one of the lowest prices available, BUT if you use the code KOY923 at checkout, you will receive $5 off, making it an amazing price of only $4! I just keep finding more and more uses for this product, which is why I think everyone should buy it. I have stretched earlobes 00g, and I use this to massage them twice daily, and it keeps my ears healthy and elastic. I have never had a "blowout" or any pain when going up a size, and it is all thanks to jojoba oil. I also cover my plugs in it before I put them in, so it will moisturize and heal the inside of my ears as well. Another use for this oil is an amazing night time moisturizer. I apply it to my face before bed after I wash it, and my skin is so soft, so clear, evenly toned, and blemish free every morning. Since I have been doing this I've been getting compliments daily on my skin. Another use for jojoba oil is a healer for cuts, scrapes, and scratches. Just apply it on your skin where your scratch is for a few days, and it will heal much faster with less chance of scarring. Jojoba oil will also heal and strengthen you nails. Just massage it onto a clean nail, and let it soak in. This will make your nails stronger, smoother, and less likely to crack. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Jojoba oil also makes an amazing hair treatment similar to Argan oil. You can use it in the shower while your hair is wet for deep cleaning and smoothing, OR after your hair is dry to add shine and get rid of frizziness. The reason jojoba oil works is because it is structured like the sebum in our skin. This means that when it is absorbed into the body, it can easily mix with the natural sebum and stop it from clogging up the pores. Also, it is 100% natural and vegan. YOU'VE GOT TO TRY IT! I love this stuff so much! :)

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Finki

I've been using this product for 2 yrs every day. For me it is must have. Yes I am using daily moisturizer with SPF. I use serums, masks because I am skin junkie , but this is number one product . My favorite combination is mixed 3-5 drops of this oil with spoon aloe vera gel an gently massage it into my face and décollté area after cleaning my face with foaming cleanser ( I use African soap). I leave it for 10 mins and I i take a cotton pad and wipe the excess. It take away all the extra foundation and it cleanse my face perfectly .this is my routine every night. In the winter time I like to put night cream because air is more dry . I have really good skin. But I do have larger pores, and I have some hyperpigmentation ( I do not burn on sun but I have to avoid it as much possible) . I don’t believe in miracles when it comes to facial creams. I rather go to esthetician and do photo facials and microdermabrasion . But I do believe that good moisturizer does not have to be expensive . I do get a lots of compliments on my skin and I like to share my secrets and trust me if remove all the moisturizer I use -this one stays for sure

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2011 3:21:00 PM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a really nice, healthy, organic oil. I bought my bottle a few years ago and am still using it. Jojoba oil is a nice addition to the FSG I make on occasion. I also tend to use this as a gentle makeup remover before bed and to help clear my pores after a hot shower. It breaks up all the makeup and washes off easily with warm water, leaving my skin supple but clean. If I'm taking off makeup at night, I follow it up with Caudalie's eau demaquillant to be thorough. My skin used to be very problematic but since changing my skincare to include this oil I don't get breakouts and my skin is smooth and beautiful. I also appreciate that it's a natural product and not loaded with excess chemicals.

It does tend to get everywhere and leak out but it is oil and it doesn't leave the medicine cabinet.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2011 3:01:00 PM More reviews by SarcasmCynical

This is the ONLY moisturizer that doesn't clog my pores horribly. I know we're all brainwashed to believe that Oil is bad for your face, but as science will tell you, sebum (oil) is the perfect protection for skin (some of us just make waaaaay too damn much). It is very important to note that if you don't mix it with water (I.E. Wet face or hands) it will make your face drier (I know, totally weird). It really doesn't take very much either, just one to two drops (maybe more depending on how dry your skin is). If you over do it, your face will be shiny. I like how it smells too, kind of like toasted nuts. It is kind of expensive ($8 for 4oz), but it's cheaper than other things and will last forever if used sparingly.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 7:07:00 PM More reviews by channingto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Tried this all over my face.. I didn't break out but had little bumps right under my eyes at the top of my cheekbones. This was the only new thing added to my regimen and when I stopped using it, they went away. That wasn't permanent, so it's fine, but this iddn't do anything for my skin. It didn't make my flaky skin go away or make my face any more hydrated. Also tried a little on my hair and I had the hardest time washing it out and my hair was so darn greasy until I could get it all out, and after, my hair wasn't any better than what I had started with. Bummer.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2011 11:36:00 PM More reviews by ymseller

I decided to try Desert Essence Jojoba Oil after reading so many positive reviews. I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Caudalie's Premieres Vendanges Moisturizing Cream, and this oil proved to be the perfect all-natural, affordable, light facial moisturizer. For my combination skin, it's best to put on immediately after showering. I like to use about two drops and massage it on my slightly damp face in a circular motion. If I don't massage it, I find that it sits on my skin like a film and takes a while to absorb. The oil has made my pores shrink, and I haven't had any breakouts (save for a few PMS-related pimples).

I also like to use it daily on my upper back and shoulders to treat back acne (immediately after showering). I've been doing this for about a month and have noticed that my back has become extremely smooth with smaller pimples (if they appear at all). Past scarring is still there, but the oil definitely helps with lightening scars.

As others have mentioned, the only con is that the pop-top bottle makes it difficult for small doses. Minor inconvenience. Overall, beyond-excellent product for an affordable price ($10 at Whole Foods for 4 oz compared to my previous $35 moistuzer).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2011 9:22:00 PM More reviews by hellohello0o00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I started using this product a few days ago. And guess what? NO more clogged pores!! I have suffered from clogged pores the longest time and can always literally get stuff out using my extractor every night. However, since I have started using this product (and I changed my cleanser to Purpose Gentle Cleanser), I said GOODBYE to clogged pores. Not a SINGLE pore was clogged. However, I am experiencing whiteheads right now, which I was aware of because of the purging process. Hopefully, my skin can become clear after 2 weeks. Will update when I get great skin.