October 22, 2014 | 1687 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by gazelma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm just chiming in to say that I love my Clarisonic Mia. I've tried imitations from the Olay spin brush to other spin brushes. They do not compare. The Mia's brush does not simply just rotate around but it deep cleans, and it really shows on my skin. My skin does not often break out but it is really oily and the texture was not great. I found that even exfoliating washes did not adequately "cleanse" my face. So I got the Mia in yellow and it works great so far, it's been a few weeks and I notice my skin glows right after I use it. I combine this with Philosophy 3in1 Purity cleanser and do it for one minute. My skin feel so smooth and clean to the touch! A cautionary note that it does feel a bit abrasive and rough for the first time but my skin gets accustomed to it. I use it twice a day - when I wake up in the morning and before I go to bed. Highly recommended - it's an investment and worth every penny. I mean it's expensive but if it's going to keep my skin radiant and youthful then it's money well-spent.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by kaitlynmarieexoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Let me just start out by saying this is one of those things that will change your life. As dramatic as that sounds, I'm 100% serious. Especially if you are someone who has been struggling with terrible skin for a long time like me. My skin background: extremely oily, very acne prone. After using the clarisonic 2x a day for 2 months: BEAUTIFUL!! My skin is FLAWLESS. Its super smooth, never rough EVER. But most importantly my acne is GONE. This coming from someone who broke out EVERYDAY. Very bad acne all over especially on my chin and around my mouth. My chin is super clear now and breakout free! This brush has literally transformed my terrible skin into brighter, clearer, smoother skin. This is the best investment I've ever made and I really really recommend this to everyone. It is so worth the money. Trust me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Reemyn

I bought this device few years ago.
I used it religiously, so yes, it took me months to realize that Clarisonic does not suit my skin after all. My skin is not sensitive, but picky.
My problems:
- too much exfoliation
- stripped my skin from its natural oils
- cleansing the brush... Well, this is another story. If I were a millionaire I would change the brushes every single day, but I'm not and they're too expensive (actually they're just a piece of plastic). I washed them after every use, but I never (I mean it) felt them clean enough.

So I can see that this works for others really well but not for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 10:42:00 PM More reviews by pinkandblack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

What are you doing here, wasting precious minutes reading reviews when you could be, at this very second, ordering the best skincare product you'll ever lay hands on?!?! Just order the darn thing already! My skin: Oily, easily dehydrated, super sensitive, clog/dermatitis/eczema-prone. How many products have I angrily tossed into the trash, having wanted desperately for them to produce the results this magic little buff machine has pulled out of its hat... I've got my own trash heap at the city dump by now: that's how many.

I could write a novel dedicated to the gloriousness that is Mia, but you've already wasted too much time scouring the review section for a glimmer of affirmation that Yes! You Need This! You Need This Yesterday!! All those Clairisonic dupes on the market: fugghedaboudem. I've owned the Pretika and Olay models, and they couldn't hold a candle to the Mia. Their performance doesn't even come close.

Purging! It's a real thing; don't get discouraged. What happens when the purging phase has passed is sheer epidermal ecstasy. Pimples are gone. *Poof* Just like that. My pores are smaller, fine lines are diminished, skin is glowy and healthier looking. Mia has even helped zap a few stubborn eczema patches.

I always remove MU and SS before washing, so I don't find that I need to clean the brush head weekly. I do rinse the brush thoroughly with hot water after each use* and give Mia several good shakes to clear out water trapped beneath the brush. Treat Mia with respect and Mia will respect you.

Oh, and once a day Mia washings is all my sensitive skin needs (and wants). I make it count, though. I take my time forming those overlapping circles recommended by Clairisonic. The real magic is in increased circulation, so don't shortchange your skin with a quick buff. Think of it as a mini spa treatment. The best part is that you get to be your own aesthetician...every single day :-)

*So far my favorite Mia-compatible cleanser is Philosophy's Purity Made Simple. Don't ask why they go together like PB & J, it's inexplicable. Only the skincare gods know.

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 8:29:00 PM More reviews by sunkissedglitter

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Guys, all the rave reviews aren't a joke. The Clarisonic actually is amazing.

My skin was horrible after a summer in China (heat + humidity + change in lifestyle/location + me running out of my typical skincare products = disaster). I bought the Clarisonic Mia to combat that (it was the cheapest one). I tried using it with a variety of different cleansers until I found one that worked (the Fresh Soy Face Cleanser).

It was not an easy process. It took a long time. I did go through a mild purge phase, but it wasn't that I broke out excessively. It was just that my existing pimples didn't go away. It took a good 3-4 months for my skin to clear up and for there to be a noticeable difference. My skin isn't completely clear still, but the texture has improved dramatically.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

I had to stop with my Retin-A cause I'm doing a treatment called V-beam for my redness in my face. But!! Now I had more problems with my acne instead!! The benzoyl peroxide is just not enough.... I've suffered from acne since I've been 11 years and now I'm 34. I have hormonal adult acne, and there is not much that can affect it (have been on Accutane 3 times, pills and thousands of other medical treatments). I have both a lot of small bumps and larger red pimples.

I started by using the sensitive brush for the first 2 weeks. My skin wasn't used to this, so during the first 2 weeks it felt dry and I developed some more acne.... I couldn't use the brush twice daily, but every other night .

But after these weeks my pore cleansing brush arrived and now I've used that one for 1 week. I think it seems to cleanse much better than the sensitive brush, that was too baby soft in some way.... Cause now I use the pore cleansing brush for 2-3 minutes every night. I'll start to try it twice a day now!!

And my small bumps and acne has cleared up for about 30% during these 3 weeks of use of Clarisonic!!!! Amazing!!!!!!!!
The face seems much cleaner and the pores are not locked in a lot of oil/dirt/skin that blocks them to get out....

The only con is that I had to order it from the UK - why don't they sell this in Scandinavia?????

Recommended!!!!!!

Update 2013-06-06:

Now I've used the clarisonic for 5 weeks (2 weeks the sensitive brush and the latest 3 weeks the deep pore cleansing brush).

I can't describe how much I love this!!! Can you people believe that this thing did a better job than both Retin-A and bensoyl peroxide???? I can't believe that!! I have adult hormonal acne, and some areas have been stubborn as h*ll during the latest years - I ALWAYS had maybe 7-10 small bumps on each side of my temples - nothing in the world could remove them (except maybe Accutane again)!!!! Now they're reduced to maybe 4 on each side!! Also all the other bumps.in my face - until now the acne is reduced to 40%!!!!!

500 lippies!!!!! :D

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2013 10:25:00 AM More reviews by girlraven

This is a great cleansing and exfoliating tool, it is a must have in your skincare routine. It is high quality and I love it

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by eeeee

It took me almost TWO years to buy this tool because it's so expensive. I finally ended up purchasing it because my face was recovering from the worst case of cystic acne that I've ever had and needed better exfoliation. Previously, I would use a regular washcloth and/or a nylon washcloth (which is scrubby). I've also used the facial buf sponge, but nothing would completely get rid of the flakes and rough texture that I would get from my acne treatments. Out of desperation I one day used a pedicure brush on my face! Just to see if it would make a difference. And it did. Except it was way too rough and painful. Needing to use exfoliating type products to lessen the acne and its scars I shopped around for a good deal and finally purchased the Mia.

LOVE IT. I've been using this for about 3 months now and my acne has reduced by at least half after I started using it. It's not a miracle tool, but it opened my pores well enough that my acne products that previously never stung (and were supposed to), now did and worked better on my skin. I usually wash my face first with cleanser to remove most of the makeup and then use this which removes the rest. I like the sonic vibration and never experienced any purging. However, I did not like the cleanser, I believe it caused a few zits so I gave it away. The Mia I bought came with only the sensitive brush head which I thought wouldn't do the job on my face since it's used to scrubbing but I actually like it. I recently ordered the deep exfoliation brush head and will update this review with my thoughts.

I still think it's outrageously expensive but it's made such a difference in my sensitive, super oily, extremely acne-prone skin that it was worth it. If you're on the fence, I would suggest buying from a retailer that has an excellent return policy in case you don't love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2013 5:48:00 AM More reviews by tigergirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I acquired this little device after having an extremely frustrating breakout and hearing positive things from friends. It's cheaper than the typical Clarisonic brush, but still takes a bite of your budget. It was too harsh for me to use during the winter months, but is now perfect for summer. I bought the clear pore brush head after reading reviews and am quite happy with it. I can't comment on breakouts, since Solugel and more careful product selection helped before I was able to use this regularly. It does, however, remove all my makeup perfectly, make my skin look smooth and feel softer, and helps foundation apply and wear more evenly. I also seem less oily. I use it every night and only press it gently to avoid irritation. I'll continue using it, but will probably cut down significantly during winter months again. I recommend this as a thorough cleaning and exfoliating product, but not necessarily a miracle-worker.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 6:10:00 AM More reviews by nattiekins05

Before I start, I just wanted you to know what this review was about. I wrote a review a while back on the differences between the spinbrush pro (and the different models) as well as the oil of olay version of the spinbrush. In this review I am comparing and contrasting them (this was before I bought one) to figure out which one would work best for me... I hope by reading this, you will have a better understanding of your options before purchasing a spinbrush...

I was very skeptical of this brush to begin withÖ. but I finally pulled the trigger after much consultation from my dermatologist. For any of those wondering, my dermatologist herself told me 1) this brush will make a huge difference regarding the health of my skin 2) that the Oil of Olay Spinbrush is just as good as the Clarisonic. That was her honest professional medical answer... So now I will give you my opinion on each of the two models.

The brush head: the brush heads differ on a few levels and I honestly feel that the The Clarisonic brush is superior. The Clarisonic brush head is much larger, even when comparing the smallest size Clarisonic MIA model to the Oil of Olay Spinbrush. The Clarisonic also has the optionality of different removable heads, one of them specifically for sensitive skin. I use this one. The drugstore versions do not have this optionality. After trying both Clarisonic brush heads (the regular and sensitive), I prefer the sensitive. I also feel the bristles on the Clarisonic model are softer and higher quality.

Cleaning power: About equal, but different. The Clarisonic uses a sonic oscillation system while the Oil of Olay Spinbrush uses a nonsonic rotating brush. The Oil of Olay version doesnít really vibrate like the Clarisonic but just sort of spins around in circles. When using the Clarisonic you simply move it in circular motions around your face as the brush vibrates. The Spinbrush doesnít necessarily work in that fashion since its already spinning around. They do feel different in my opinion. Probably both get you to the same place but I prefer the Clarisonic. I also think its much more effortless than the cheaper Oil of Olay brush. One thing that blew me away was not only how well it worked on my face- but also the eczema and tiny red bumps on my arms, after a few scrubs- GONE!

Charging: Clarisonic charges either in a base (if you buy the larger models) or in a simple handle attachment if you buy the MIA (thatís what I have). The Oil of Olay is battery operated- and this SUCKS! I have to change the batteries every two to three times of use (depending on how long I use it, which often varies). Yes, I do have rechargeable batteries, but still can be rather frustrating changing them SO often. This is why there is such aclassic difference in price, though. You get more with the higher quality, you just have to be willing to spend more too.

Models: The Clarisonic comes in 5, yes 5, confusing models. What is the difference in all of them? Why do we need 5 models? They differ in speeds, size, battery life, attachments they come with, and warranty. They range from $119 to $225. There is the MIA (both the MIA 1 and MIA 2). This is the most compact and does not come with a charging cradle but a charging link. The classic comes with a charging cradle. And the Plus and Pro models have 3 speeds and are for the face and body. I think this is all mumbo jumbo and all you need is the MIA. You really dont need different speeds and you can use the regular brush head on your body as well. Unless you really want a standup cradle I would purchase the MIA for $119. The higher models also come with more Clarisonic skin care products. You donít need to use their products. Use your own favorite products. The Oil of Olay only has one to chose from, with no models to choose from. It is very standard and really comes with NO bells and whistles.

Body functionality: The Oil of Olay Spinbrush is very tiny, almost too tiny for the body. I think you can use the MIA Clarisonic for body even though its not marketed that way. You can really tell the difference in price here because the Clarisonic is well built, and sturdy... but the Olay version doesnt fit in your hand as nice, and its not as well built as the other models.

Do I really need to spend $119 on a brush to wash my face? No. You donít need to. But it will get your skin cleaner and you will likely see improvement- like I have after using for just a few days. The brush removes significantly more dirt, oil and makeup than manual cleansing. Both brushes will help to loosen impurities from your pores alot more effectively than your fingertips rubbing soap on your face. However, this does not eliminate the need to exfoliate on a regular basis. The simple fact is that results from either brush are going to be better than not using one at all. The Oil of Olay clearly provides more value at $30. Although I cannot say for sure, it doesnít feel as though it will last for years and years like the Clarisonic does. The Spinbrush is a bit flimsier in your hands than the Clarisonic. I have had my MIA for about a year now and I love it. I would recommend it to every woman really. Especially those women who are obsessed with new facial products, those who keep their skin a top priority and also those who have needs and maintenance when it comes to keeping their skin glowing. If you have dry skin, if you suffer from serious acne or a few blemishes, if you have large pores- this brush will be a godsend. Like I stated earlier, I saw results within DAYS of using this. Keeping in mind, I was using the Nutregena Wave beforehand, which I thought was just the greatest thing... NOT. It doesnt stand a chance against my Clarisonic, not even close. Plus I got sick of spending money on those expensive pads that you needed to attach. I dont have that problem with this- I can use any product i want, and can change them anytime I want. Well worth every penny ladies! Honestly! <

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No