August 30, 2014 | 1014 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It has been ages since I tried a NARS foundation and I'm glad they've improved the quality and texture. The Sheer Glow name is a misnomer as the coverage isn't sheer but rather it's close to medium with a semi-matte finish.
I have combo/normal to slightly dry skin and it's perfect for me, at least in the winter. I usually wear powder foundation in the summer due to the heat and humidity.

The colour selection can't be beat and Punjab is the perfect match for my NC30/C3 skin tone. I use a stippling brush to dab on the foundation where I need it and then use either my Sephora #45 or RT Expert Face Brush to buff and blend. The result is a beautiful, smooth, airbrushed look for me. The foundation looks like my skin but much better.
I have red acne marks which I cover up with concealer (loving NARS Radiant Concealer right now for this) beforehand and then use the SG for more coverage and voila, great coverage. (not 100% covered as I don't like wearing full coverage foundation but with the concealer and foundation, I'd say they give about 95% coverage)

I make sure my face is prepped and primed beforehand to avoid those dreaded flakies. (BHA solution and Finacea will do that)

Does it last all day?
It lasts the whole work day but after a 12 hour day, I can see the foundation fading. (I don't like the long wearing foundation so I'm willing to put up with this)
For this, I use MAC Studio Fix powder foundation for touch ups on the areas where the foundation is fading and it works just great.

Is it worth the cost?
$55 CAD for a bottle of foundation isn't cheap (an understatement to say the least) and I believe getting the base right is essential to the whole makeup look so to me, it's worth the cost.

My only complaint is the packaging. I'd prefer to have a pump for easier access but this is minor given how beautifully this foundation wears and performs.

I definitely recommend this foundation if your skin tone is yellow based and like a semi-matte, medium finish that still looks natural.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 8:41:00 PM More reviews by mikxoh

NOOOOO WHY DID I HAVE TO LOVE THIS FOUNDATION? gah okay it's expensive to me. I thought ELDW was the one for me but the color match wasn't 100% but it had everything else going for it - staying power, price range, didn't break me out etc.

who knew NARS SG would work on my acne pron combination skin? I always thought this foundation was better suited for almost-perfect skinned conditioned people, not pimply-hyperpigmentation-marked person like myself. Lasts all day during my 9 hour shift at work and doesn't break me out, whatta keeper :D

I radiate yellow so it's hard to find a foundation with enough warm/golden undertones to fit my needs. my skin is a lot better now, I'm mainly dealing with hyper pigmentation rather than active breakouts (knock on wood), and the finish this gives is so lovely...it's like 2nd skin. sounds weird but it looks good I promise. I'm NC25 and my color is in punjab.

I'm pretty sure this foundation is working so well for me is because it's the winter and my skin overall tends to be a tad drier. I still get oily in my t-zone but blotting ONCE during the day takes care of shine. I think if you're super oily all over this foundation won't tickle your fancy.

super love this foundation. I was using ELDW for awhile and even bought a back up of it. I'm debating on returning it so I can invest in another bottle of NARS SG. I still love ELDW but it's the color match of NARS SG that won it over for me.

as for the lack of pump, I don't mind. I had a lot of time practicing with ELDW to the point where I'm now a pro at pouring the perfect amount of foundation onto the back of my hand without a pump every time. whoop whoop whoop!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Sammy143

I LOVE THIS Foundation.
Not cakey on the skin at all!
Might need a touch up with powder during the end of the day depending how oily your skin is.
Medium coverage can be full aswel as light! Yes its not in the very cheap range but it is defo worth the price!
Does not come with a pump, pump is sold seperately.
Lasts the whole day and gives you a nice healthy GLOW
LOVE THIS❤️

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Hanthornton1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had been using Clinique super balanced foundation for years so I thought it was time for a change and I had heard great things about NARS. The lady behind the counter at selfridges told me that you should apply this foundation with your fingers however there is no way you could do this, it definitely needs quite a bit of blending with a foundation brush but the results are brilliant. I would say it is medium coverage and I have good skin so this is fine for me. There is a wide range of colours which all have pretty yellow undertones which goes well with my skin. I find it lasts all of my working day I do not need to reapply. When I purchased this foundation back in May 2013 I was also given a sample of their tinted moisturiser which was lovely especially for the summer months.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/27/2013 5:59:00 PM More reviews by dollyMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was so excited to try this much reviewed foundation.
When i first applied it, it was gorgeoouussssss... for about 5 minutes. No exaggeration. I walked down the stairs to show my sister how beautiful and natural it was on my skin, and when i got back upstairs 1 minute later, it was gone! I was totally barefaced!
And then came the breakouts... OMG!! The worst, most upsetting eruptions of my life, and they're continuing 2 MONTHS LATER :(
This foundation has sensitized my skin, so everything i put on it, even my usual makeup (even shampoo!) is making it break out even more like crazy. It's horrible.
I definitely do not recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2013 4:05:00 PM More reviews by starbuck777

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So at first I loved this. It made my dry acne prone skin look so natural and radiant. I even loved how thin and light the liquid was providing a real skin look while effectively working as a covering up. Buuuuuuut it doesn't look like that forever.

In fact, by the end of the evening (if not only a few hours really) my face looks CAKED and kind of hideous. It's like all of the foundation I massaged or worked into my skin with a make up brush comes purging out and just sits on top of my skin waiting to be embarrassingly wiped away. But even when I do wipe it away (in a way that's intentional and not humiliating on someone's shirt when they hug me) it still looks terrible. Like it comes purging out of every pore and then sits there unevenly like a pool of...I don't know what. But it makes me look like a drag queen (in a bad way. I've seen some beautiful drag queens actually, lol, so I feel bad I said that).

Also, the screw top stopped working effectively after a couple weeks of use so it's an absolute mess all the time, especially when traveling. I always rolled my eyes when people whine about packaging, but this is seriously obnoxious and messy. Highly unpractical.

It's really upsetting though still because again, it looks sooooooooo good when you first put it on. Ugh. Revlon Colorstay (even when I mix it with Cetaphil lotion) seems to dry and settle into my fine lines under my eyes and age me...I'm 27 turning 28 soon so it sucks and feels premature. Maybe the answer is just using Nars under my eyes instead of Revlon Colorstay but then nowhere else? And then another foundation on and around my face? I've started using Tarte Smooth Operator on my chin instead of putting foundation there even when I go out and this has helped my acne significantly (I only really break out on my chin). Maybe I'll use 3 foundations on different areas of my face. I'm sure that won't feel tedious.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2013 8:13:00 AM More reviews by Enos86

I really wanted to love this product, I like that it comes in a bottle I bought the pump to go with it, which now willl be a waste because I need to return it. My face is sensitive and I have some redness in my cheeks I didn't notice anything different throughout the day when I wore it, but as soon as I took my makeup off my face was super red and sensitive when I washes it. I just woke up to pimples on my chin and forehead which I never get! So disappointed :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2013 5:51:00 PM More reviews by habakuktwo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is wonderful:
* The product comes in a range of color, mine is Macao. Being African American it's difficult to find wearable colors in high end foundations.
*The product has nice coverage that is lends itself for laying depending on the look desired.
*The formula is not to runny or thick.
Down side
*The price for this foundation is pretty steep as for all NARS cosemtics
*There is no pump for the foundation so I start with a little then add to preven pouring too much and wasting the product

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by Nemezienna

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference, I'm an NC50 with serious yellow undertones and got a sample of this in Macao. I always had an issue with foundations oxidizing and leaving me with an orange face after an hour, even with Mac studio fix fluid. In my journey to find the perfect foundation, I stumbled upon Nars sheer glow. Now I have verrryyy oily skin and thought the sheer finish would be horrible. Boy, was I wrong! Lasts all day (with primer and setting powder) and looks great! Didn't oxidize at all and I didn't look like a grease monkey. I'm still searching around for my HG foundation but I will definitely be purchasing this. Great foundation for cooler winter months. It annoys me that the pump is sold separately though. Grrrrr.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2013 12:37:00 PM More reviews by dimiboutselis

I've been searching for my HG foundation for a long time and I think I've finally found it! I have dry skin and foundation always seems to just shirk and dry up on my skin. Nars sheer glow stays on and looks great all day. I prep my skin with moisturizer and a primer and then set it with if setting spray. My only problem with the foundation is that there is no pump. For the price it's crazy that a pump isn't included. Other than that I think it's great. Look pretty natural on and lasts pretty well.