April 20, 2014 | 977 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 7:14:00 PM More reviews by jahmad

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm probably the last person on earth to try this foundation. I spent years looking for a foundation that not only matched my skin perfectly but also gave enough coverage. I've known about Nars Sheer Glow for years, but I never tried it because a) it's a little pricey for me and b) I thought it was sheer coverage and c) every time I tried a sample, the people who helped me at sephora gave me the wrong shade.

I have the shade Syracuse and it matches my skin better than anything else I've tried. For a long time, I thought that I was very very yellow and therefore obviously had yellow undertones. But the yellow-toned foundations were always too orange for me. Then someone finally explained that I have olive skin, and that changed my world. There are a ton of shades to choose from with this foundation, so make sure you get matched by someone who knows what they're doing!

I've tried applying it with a realtechniques expert face brush and with a beautyblender. I think it works best with a beautyblender, because it applies very sheer layers whereas a brush can be too heavy. It's more liquidy than most foundations I've tried, and I really like that because I can move it all over the face and blend it in without it setting too quickly. I usually go for a medium coverage. It blends in to my skin seamlessly. I've heard that this can be a full coverage foundation, but I haven't tried a full coverage look yet. I do have some acne scars and freckles that peak through the foundation, but that doesn't bother me too much. What I'm most concerned about is my skin looking even and glowy, and this foundation does that!

Oh, and I think the packaging is gorgeous. The only downside is that it doesn't come with a pump, and it can get a bit messy when you try to pour out the foundation.

All in all, I seriously cannot say enough good things about this foundation. If you can afford it, I highly recommend that you at least give it a try.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by Quiche0805

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't normally write reviews (I've only submitted five since I joined more than four years ago), so for me to do so is a big thing. I'm the consummate product junkie that's always on the quest for HG products, regardless of price. Even when I find products I like, I'm still trying new stuff...just because. I can't help it! I'm addicted to beauty products & I'm not ashamed to admit it.

For reference I have combination skin that's oily on the nose & drier on the forehead & around my mouth. I often fall between shades in most brands (I've tried the majority of them), so finding a foundation is a major pain in the rear. I'm roughly an NC45 in MAC foundations (C7 in Face & Body), so the closest matches for me are Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in Golden (sample only...don't love it enough to buy it), Giorgio Armani LSF in 9.5 (this shade is now discontinued) & NARS Pure Radiant TM in Seychelles (LOVE THIS STUFF!!!).

On to this foundation... I went to Sephora shortly after NARS launched the "Sheer" foundations & tried to find a color match, initially in the Sheer Matte because of my oily nose. Tahoe was too light, Cadiz was too light/too red & Macao was too dark. Despite the wide range of shades for WOC, I just couldn't make it work for me, & I didn't love the foundation enough to spend more than $80 on two bottles...especially when it doesn't come with a pump!

I went to a NARS event at Nordstrom in February 2012, saw the regional director looking in radiant in the Sheer Glow & decided to give it another try. She matched me to Cadiz & applied it with her fingers, saying the product needed to be warmed up first. It still looked a little too light to me, but I liked the finish so I bought it. I tried it at home, but I think I applied too much because I looked like a ghost. After several months of not wearing it, I took it back.

Fast forward to January of this year when Sephora had a coupon event (15% or 20% off, I think). I decided to try again & I bought Macao. It looked like mud on my face, so I took it back & exchanged it for Cadiz. I ordered the pump from Nordstrom & was determined to make it work. More months passed, Sephora's return window expired, & it continued to sit under the sink...until today. Since Giorgio Armani discontinued my shade, I now use 9.0 mixed with the #3 Fluid Sheer (PERFECTION!). I decided to mix #3 with Sheer Glow & voila...IT WORKS! I have a tube sample of #3, so I squirted a bit in my hand (probably the equivalent of half a pump) with 1.5 pumps of the foundation. I blended both in my palm to warm up the mixture, dabbed it around my face, wiped the excess from my fingers & blended. I topped it off with LM Loose Setting Powder & a few spritzes of Fix+ & OMG! The color match is PERFECT & the finish is gorgeous! I can't rate it a 5.0 because it's in a glass bottle (not great for traveling), it doesn't come with a pump & the shade by itself isn't an exact match; however, I've found a way to make it work & I will now add it to my rotation.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by kas7686

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really really wanted to like this foundation as I'd heard so many good things about it. However, it seems you have to have really good skin to be able to use it. I suffer from a sever combination T-zone - either really oily or really dry. This foundation settled into all my dry patches and my oily patches really broke it down. The color range is also not that great - they have a lot of options but not a ton in the light/pale end of the spectrum.
The other downside was the packaging - really pretty to look at but no pump which made it a bit of a mess to apply.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by SHERCYELLOW

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great foundation. After years of trying to find a good foundation for very oily skin, this seems to work good. This is overall the best foundation on the market in my opinion. If you do have extremely oily skin than you may need to blot it with an oil absorbing pad throughout the day. It is not harsh at all and is good for acne prone skin. It doesn't clog my pores like most foundations do. It also has tumeric root powder in it to help minimize uneven skin tone after using it for a while.Tumeric powder is a powder derived from tumeric root used primerily in Asia. People have been using Tumeric for centuries for the lightning effects and treating skin conditions.I will continue to use this product for life!! I love it.

Pros:
-lightweight
-hypoallergenic
-doesn't clog pores
-flawless coverage
-not greasy

Cons:
-price

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/29/2013 9:05:00 AM More reviews by sarahkkelleher

Bought this product as youtuber Tanya Burr raved about it. First off in Ireland I cannot buy the pump from the counter and have to buy it from the Nars website...who charge 12euro for shipping, the pump itself only costs 4euro, so I am stuck with the bottle without a pump which makes it very hard to use. I hate the glass bottle as I fear it will break, and the lid its make of the same stuff as the nars blushes so gets dirty very quickly (after one use mine was stained from the foundation). It has quite a thick consistency which I dont love, and doesnt wear very well during the day. My skin has decided recently to become quite oily and I cant pinpoint as to why. This foundation does my skin no favours and feels very greasy after a few hours wear even after powdering. I wont buy it again! For reference I bought Mont Blanc...I am a Mac nw10/15 or MUFE 20!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:04:00 PM More reviews by twitterpittered

I adored this foundation when I first bought it - gave a light luminosity to the skin, covered all major redness/pigmentation around the nose area, and was a great colour match! However, having since tried out other high end foundations, it just doesn't really compare. The lasting power isn't wonderful, even when used with the Nars primer and powder, and I do feel that it broad sunlight, you can see it sitting on the skin, which is the WORST for no-makeup makeup.
Pros:
- Great colours
- Natural finish
- Medium coverage - can be sheered down to light, or built up to heavy
- Photographs well (no spf)

Cons:
- Sits on skin in sunlight (which is the cruelest light)
- Can emphasise dryness
- No great lasting power

In summary, whilst I liked this foundation, I think if you're prepared to spend a little more for a Georgio Armani, MAC or Chanel foundation, I'd go for the latter. No strong feelings for this foundation, and I think we can do better : )

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by smatte77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

First, a little about me: MAC NC25 with neutral undertones. Normal skin with the occasional hormonal pimple. During winter, my skin can get a little dry in certain areas. Typically I prefer dewy foundations, as I do not like matte ones but I wanted something for date nights, family functions, and special occasions that lended a little more coverage.

I went to Sephora specifically for the purpose of getting matched to this foundation. The SA picked up Punjab and Santa Fe, and it turns out Santa Fe is my perfect match. She gave me a sample and I went on my merry way. I've been wearing it for about 4 days now and here are my thoughts...

The consistency isn't too runny. It's thicker than MAC's F&B but not as thick as Kat Von D's Lock It. On me, it's definitely medium coverage, which is probably because I have pretty good skin overall. So far I have applied it with fingers (this is the NARS recommended application, but I don't like it) and I have used a B'Dellium flat top kabuki. With the kabuki I have applied it dry and then I have also spritzed the brush with MAC Fix+ first, which is my favorite way so far. It seems to spread the product better. The finish is between dewy and matte and it leaves the sheerest, slightest glow on your skin (hence the name) so you can forego highlighter if you'd like. I LOVE the way it makes my skin look. It dries down in about 5 minutes and feels totally weightless. I dust my T-zone with loose powder to set it (MAC sheer select loose, NC20). I'd say I get about 8 hours of wear with this, as I'm not particularly oily. No breakouts/reactions yet...

The color selection is wide so most should be able to find a dead-on match to their skin. The name is misleading, like others have said, because the foundation is not sheer and the word "glow" might deter people. I haven't bought the full size yet, as I am still using the sample but from what I gather the price is $44 US. Pretty pricey, but I believe you usually pay for what you get so I have no problem paying it. A little goes a long way, so it should last awhile! During the week I use MAC F&B or tinted moisturizer, so this will be for special occasions. Like everyone else, the one gripe I have is the lack of a pump. You can buy one for $5-6, but we're already spending a small fortune so I hope one day they realize that and start making it with the damn pump! Oh, and always moisturize before using this foundation!

PROS:

Wide shade selection
No offensive scent
Light to medium coverage, also buildable
Weightless and comfortable
Gives skin a healthy glow which falls between dewy and matte-best of both worlds!
Lasts 5-8 hours (depending on your skin)
No transfer

CONS:

No pump
Price $$$

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2013 3:17:00 AM More reviews by klgbeatnik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Been using this for a few months now so I think I pretty much now know exactly how this foundation works on me. It has it's pros and cons- pros include amazing blendability, good color selection and the color I have (Santa fe) matches me perfectly, INCREDIBLY natural looking while still giving good coverage. Probably my favorite finish out of every foundation I've ever tried. Cons include packaging which we all know about by now, not good for oily skin in the summer (I tend to get oily, but not THAT oily-and I am a grease ball by the end of the day with this foundation) also it clogs my pores in a way that NONE of my other foundations do. Every time i wear this, i get zits. Will most likely not repurchase

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2013 3:39:00 PM More reviews by Shauneexo

I use this is the shade Cadiz. It's a perfect match for my hard to match skin! It has a beautiful natural finish, which I love. I don't need a full coverage, medium is sometimes too much. I find that this is best applied with your fingers, I guess that's how it was intended to use anyway. I've tried applying it with my ELF flat top brush ( which is the best foundation brush ever, btw) but I find that gives it a more "I'm wearing foundation" look. I'm not a fan of an overly made up face for every day, so that doesn't work for me. The things I don't like: I work in a restaurant, so naturally, my face sweats when I'm there, and it doesn't stay looking as beautiful and fresh as, say, my beloved Physician's Formula talc free loose mineral makeup. Boo :( I hate that it doesn't come with a pump. I know I could always buy one, but I just wish all foundation would come with pumps automatically. Anyway, great foundation. Wish the staying power was better and there was a pump, but it is close to HG. Maybe I'll play around with primers and setting sprays/powders and that will give me better luck.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2013 10:08:00 AM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ok, this is a really good foundation, there's no doubt about that. My issue is just that, though... it's not really anything more than "really good," and there are dozens of other "really good" foundations on the market. There is nothing completely outstanding about this foundation to me. It's good on every level, but doesn't blow me out of the water on any. The packaging is also pretty horrible - the cap gets filthy from fingerprints and is hard to clean, and it doesn't come with a pump.

Overall, a good, reliable foundation but I'm not sure I'd repurchase. There are too many others to try out there.