November 26, 2014 | 1671 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 4 of 5 on 11/18/2012 11:25:00 PM More reviews by minjing319

Many people complain about the smell of this prodcut. I personally don't think it's that bad. It has some herbal or medicated scent but not overwhelming, and it goes away after a little while. I kind of like products that have a natural scent than ones that are masked with strong fragrance. So its scent doesn't bother me at all.

This moisturizer has the texture of a whim cream, very light and smooth. It's absorbed quickly by the skin. Not greasy and has the right amount of hydration for my combination/oily but dehydrated skin.

I just started using it and can't comment on its anti-aging result. But my feeling is that it's more like a luxury version of basic moisturizer. It moisturizes well, doesn't harm the skin, but don't expect it'll rescue you from all those fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots. I like it enough to want to continue using it, but I probably won't buy it again because of the high price ($39 for 1.7 oz).

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2012 7:33:00 PM More reviews by hellothere2013

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I still remember Oprahs Favorite things from 2005. She was happily giving away products to a large audience. Hope in a Jar was one of them.

I stared in utmost wonder when she went on about the product. "I want it!!," I thought. But during those years, I thought buying taco bell for lunch was expensive.

Flash forward 7 years, I go to Sephora and get my hands on a sample of Hope in a Jar. Images of Oprah, winter happiness, elves and reindeers, and the audiences cheers all came rushing back to me.
As I opened the small sample, those elves and reindeers collapsed, snow became charcoal and cheers were manufactured laugh tracks. "What the heck was this chemical smelling mess???" I thought. "Oh, but wait," I thought. "This is where the product ironically smells bad, but is wonderful for your face."
I thought about it and applied it to my face. Then I felt the stinging.

Now my memories of Oprahs favorite things is tarnished.

La Fin.

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2012 10:38:00 AM More reviews by TheHateress

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've gotten several deluxe samples of Hope in a Jar and really, really, really, wanted to love it. After exfoliating applied it liberally to my face and neck, and let it sink in. I think that as a moisturizer this works beautifully, my face felt soft and supple, but there's one MAJOR thing that will keep me from buying this ever.

It smells atrocious! I put a lot of "stuff" on my face, but I have never once had a product which smelled like I was rubbing chemicals and plastic all over myself. I can't believe no one's done anything about it, because it truly is unbearable.

I thought that if perhaps I were to apply my makeup atop it, it would help the smell dissipate, but it still permeated through a good 2 layers of foundation and powder.

I really wanted to like this, but I think I'll stick with my Dior Hydra Life Youth Creme.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/9/2012 8:45:00 PM More reviews by Suzy12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got a sample of Hope in a Jar because I wanted to try a more expensive-maybe better-moisturizer then the drug store brand I was using. I'm going to go back to the drug store brands. This was just awful. The smell was such a turn-off on it's own I wouldn't use it again. My skin felt heavy and looked so greasy even with a small amount applied.( I don't think a face moisturizer should have any perfume or added scents to it. They can be irritating.) Now I am hesitant to try the more expensive creams. I'll have to go through this site to see what sounds good.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2012 6:14:00 PM More reviews by editanazaryan

WONDERFUL moisturizer!!!!!!! love love love! so light and refreshing, smell is okay. love the rosy glow!!!!! #1 in my book!!!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by nomoreagingforme

Ok, I am usually not a big critic and am pretty easy to please but I got talked into buying a jar from the saleslady and was sooooooooo pissed off at her after. I applied it on my face that night and almost dry heaved it was so unpleasant of a smell. I removed immediately and demanded my money back the day after.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2012 7:01:00 PM More reviews by JuliaLee67

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I was given a sample of this at Sephora, and upon opening it my first thought was "Eew, it's gone bad!", but no, that's what it's SUPPOSED to smell like, which is something akin to 'chemical fire at the plastic factory'. Or maybe it's 'plastic fire at the chemical factory'. I don't know! The smell lingered, too, and even though every other--ahem--fragrance--I've ever put on my skin has faded within a half-hour, I could still smell this the next day. This is a really strong, really long-lasting odor, so if you have any kind of respiratory or olfactory/migraine sensitivity, or a similar concern, you might want to take this into consideration as it may be triggering for you. Finally, this broke me out and I got two of those godawful d~e~e~p pimples on either side of my nose. Wonderful. Needless to say, this stuff was horrible on my skin and I would not buy it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2012 2:40:00 PM More reviews by skinobsessed1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Like the reviewer below, am surprised with all the negative reviews. Everybody's skin must truly be different because this *worked* for me. No breakouts whatsoever. Helped even my skin tone and gave it a nice glow. I felt like it was very healing for my skin. Used in conjuncture with other Philosophy products- maybe that makes a different. Used the Purity Wash, the Help Me retional, When Hope Is Not Enough Serum, and the When Hope is Not Enough eye cream. Am 24, no major work was needed, just wanted to start an anti-aging routine. I love the soothing scent of all the products, and frankly, I LIKE how it smells!!!! CERTAINLY BETTER than all of the over scented freaking Olay Regenerist line. gag gag gag. I find it smells faintly of Lavender! Those who want to try it, should, because for those that this actually works for, it works very well!!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2012 2:13:00 PM More reviews by MiaBella0517

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

HAS EVERYONE GONE NUTS???? IT HAS NO SMELL!!! JESUS, YOU ALL MUST HAVE BOUGHT FROM THE SAME BAD BATCH!!!! This stuff is a dream!!! It's like putting mousse on your face. It's completely fragrance free if you read the ingredients, it goes on & spreads like a fine chocolate mousse, it's perfects for dry, normal and oily skin. It also does exactly as it says. I buy the Super Size 8oz jar for $110.00 off QVC, very cheap & it lasts forever. I have seen such a transformation in my skins tone & texture since I've started using Philosophy products along with other more expensive items, it's amazing. Philosophy may not be top of the line but it's top of my list! KUDOS!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2012 7:55:00 PM More reviews by knh1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Got a sample of this at sephora since I love philosophy products. The microexfoliating face wash is my HG :) but SO glad I got a sample of this because it is horrible. Well, I shouldn't say that exactly.. The smell was so horrible I had to wash it off my face because i couldn't stand it. It smells like mildew or something. Just horrible. I tried it again a year later and I still couldn't get over the smell. I dont care if it's moisturizing or not, that smell is just something I can't get past. Fail.