Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.9

on 5/1/2010 10:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

SO let me just tell you ive tried NARS, BARE MINERALS, MAC ( ALL OF THEIR POWDERS ), ESTEE LAUDER, SHESIEDO, BENEFIT, CLINIQUE and most drug store brands and I LOOOVE this! I cant believe ive been using something else! Ok so I love the texture sooo much. The only downside is that they dont have as many colors as mac so it sucks. I wear matte du III So this will match for the remaining of the time before I get a tan. Then Ill have to go back to studio fix in nc42. : ( Oh well. I love the smell it smells so sophisticated and grown up. My sister always raged about this powder but I thought it wouldnt work for me since she has waaay better skin than me. I recommend any powder guru to give this a try! At least a try. you will be converted!

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Lancome's Dual Finish powder is wonderful. It doesn't give me an extreme amount of coverage (I haven't found a single powder foundation that does), but it makes my skin look like butter whenever I have it on. It is also great in helping to keep my liquid foundation last all day and look extremely smooth. This powder does have a bit of a perfume scent to it (it reminds me a lot of an older/classy woman) At first, the smell bugged me, but I adore it now that I haven't gotten used to it. If you're afraid though that the smell is going to irritate you, the Lancome counters do sell a fragrance-free version. I haven't tried this product wet, but I am fully satisfied with just using as a powder. As a note: I am an NC42 in Mac and I bought this compact in Matte Honey III.

on 4/5/2010 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Warm

I was little disappointed with this. I thought the coverage was decent for a powder foundation. It looked natural, seemed to tone down the redness in my cheeks, and even out my skin tone. It was also quick and easy to apply. But I thought this was supposed to leave your skin matte? After applying and for the rest of the day, my skin still looked a bit shiny all over. When I touch my skin it feels slightly oily and just the tiniest bit sticky from the oils. I was expecting that nice smooth feeling after putting on a powder but it didn't happen. If this stuff can't handle my oily skin in this mild weather, then it would be a nightmare in actual hot weather. I suppose I could put on a finishing powder to control oil, but in my opinion, if I'm spending that much money I should not have to doctor it up. I loved the large mirror b/c I could see my whole face. The smell wasn't too bad but not something I enjoyed. I'll be returning this and continue the search for summer makeup.

on 3/18/2010 8:36:00 PM

I don't like to wear foundation, but when my acne flares up and my skin's looking really red, I reach for this powder... Coverage is great; colors are great. Doesn't prevent my face from getting greasy (my skin is oily), but face still looks better than it would without the powder. At the very least, one application keeps oiliness at bay from mid-morning until early-afternoon.

on 3/18/2010 3:30:00 AM

I didn't like this powder at all. I have had it for 3 days, and will try it for the rest of the week, but it is an honest disappointment from Lancome.

Pros:
-There is a very wide color range. There is also a chart which helps find your shade (at the counter).
-The compact is very stable and not likely to fall apart in my purse. It's also slim and classic looking.
-It is fragranced, which could be a plus for some, but to me it's nice and another pro.

Cons:
-It oxidizes, badly. When I put it on in the morning, it matches perfectly. By the end of the day, I have friends asking me where my sudden tan came from. It doesn't turn orange, fortunately, but it does darken a lot.
-It feels heavy. it doesn't look heavy or cakey, thankfully, but it feels horrible. When I've worn this powder/foundation, I feel like I have so much on my face, and I'm honestly uncomfortable and self conscious for the rest of the day.
-It doesn't control oil. I have shine on my nose within a few hours, and shine on my cheeks as well, which never happens. I couldn't imagine someone oily ever using this.
-I wish the packaging had room for the additional sponge. The sponge is completely useless, but if they're going to include it and someone expects to use it, it should at least fit in the compact.
-It transfers, which makes me scared to hug anyone with a light colored shirt in fear of leaving a powder mark.
-It is expensive, almost $40 with tax. I have paid $60 for certain foundations, so I'm not sticker shocked by the high end price, but more the fact that it doesn't work even though it comes from a high end company and costs so much.

I would not repurchase this, and honestly even if I got it for free, I wouldn't use it.

on 2/13/2010 2:13:00 AM

My current favorite foundation! I'm generally a mineral foundation girl. If you've read any of my past reviews, you'll notice that I raved about Mineral Basics and Lancome Ageless Minerale. Mineral foundations are great, however I find that they feel slightly heavy and tend to make my skin a bit oily as the day wears on. I guess it's just how minerals react with my chemistry. I don't have that problem with Dual Finish. I disregard the sponge and puff that it comes with and apply with a kabuki brush like mineral makeup. The powder settles VERY lightly on my skin so I feel as if I'm truly not wearing makeup at all. The finish is matte and flawless and the fragrance is light and lovely. The shade I wear, Matte Ecru II, blends perfectly with my complexion. No dryness, yet no oiliness either. I do need to touch up once somewhere along the course of the day, but who doesn't, regardless of what foundation you use? Definitely worth every penny. I only wish it came with SPF built in.

on 2/12/2010 11:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this product on a rec from a friend. I really wanted to love it (glowing reviews) but had a hard time doing so. NOW, 2 weeks later, 1 return trip to Lancome for a color check and almost a return, trying various ways to apply the product to no avail, and a new brush purchase later, I am LOVING this powder.

Dump the puff and sponge that comes with it and RUN to get the Mac 109 brush (MUA rec- THANK YOU!). this made ALL the difference. I was using my own kabuki brush and was not getting the coverage I was looking for- not even close!!! The puff and sponge applicaiton looked so unnatural. I am normally a mineral concealer and mineral veil girl (i want an extremely natural looking and feeling face but have some redness that I need to cover from capilaries, sensitivity at times, and a breakout from time to time and HATE foundation), and was looking for something that was easier and MUCH faster to apply. Well, using the Mac 109 brush with this powder, I have found my solution! In 1-2 minutes I have a flawless look that last all day in the humidity and does not streak, fall into fine lines, or get blotchy. I do have combo skin, and like another reviewer said, nothing can keep the oilies at bay all day, but this powder does for a bit, and when the oilies break through, it does not look like a mess on my face. Using this and a bit of undereye concealer, and the occational heavy dab of mega concealer for the occational breakout, I am good to go in minutes!

Color wise the match is ok, but I am in between shades so my only wish is more color options. Does not oxidize on my skin. Will repurchase and rec to friends. For reference, I am using Matte Porcelaine d'Ivoire which is just a touch dark for me in winter.

on 2/4/2010 6:37:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

i do love this powder. it goes on super easy and i like that it comes with two puffs. one for more sheer application, one for more full. it's a bit pricey...but so is the mac studio fix powder. my only complaint...it's not pale enough for me. if it was one shade lighter, it would be perfect. would i buy it again...yes. but, only during a gwp.

on 2/4/2010 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Back in the 1980's I was a Lancome gal. Sometime in the 1990's Lancome changed and so did I, and it's taken me a very long time to try their products again. I've been eyeing Dual Finish for at least six months, researching the powder, reading reviews. I'd been using NARS pressed powder in Eden as a finishing powder and while it's good, I wanted something more than just a finishing powder. Finally I bought the fragrance-free Dual Finish online along with another goodie and got the GWP and free shipping. I engaged in a rather limp "live chat" online to try to determine the shade, but lost patience after 15 minutes and went with Matte Buff II. For reference, I'm NW20 and tan in the summer.

When the package came (by the way, the cute little "makeup" bag holds only my tweezers and nail clippers), my DD said, "Oh, your skin oughta love this stuff, it's got mineral oil in it." Indeed, my skin loves this stuff and I love the way I look in it. The soft-focus effect is akin to the Maquimat foundation I used 20 years ago (d/c of course). At the present time, I use a fluffy round blush brush to apply and it's working fine. But a SK skunk brush is on its way from Target and I'll probably work with that one.

There is one area of hyperpigmentation on the uppermost part of my left cheekbone, a nice target for the sunlight, which I usually put concealer on to mask. I no longer have to do it. when using Dual Finish. And the amount of blush I need is greatly reduced since I've got a nice subtle radiance.

You can use this powder wet but I am sticking with it dry as a finishing powder. Ahhh, it's been a long time, Lancome. Welcome back.

One last note, the "live chat" gal e-mailed after my order was placed and agreed that I'd selected the best color for my skintone.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This was the first foundation that I ever tried and I always come back to it. It looks wonderful and applies beautifully with a nice fluffy brush. I find that applying with the sponge will get uneven results and heavy coverage, also a lot is trapped on the sponge, which I use disposables of for hygienic purposes. If you need heavier coverage than you just need a denser brush, ELF's powder brush gives me full coverage when I need it (not often). Even then you would have to go crazy with it to get that dry powder puff look. I wear matte porcelaine I and it's a perfect match to my natural skin color, and not too pink of an undertone for my asian skin, unlike alot of the other paler tones out there. I only move away from this when I start getting darker because of the sun. Even though it says matte, you still get a healthy luminance because you can see your skin underneath (unless you do full coverage).
I got it a few years ago and the SA told me that it worked well as both a foundation and a powder, and works exceptionally well on younger skin compared to some of the other foundations at the counter and I'm still finding it to be true whenever I wear it. I almost never need to touch up except for a little bit of oiliness on those really sweaty days. There's alot in the compact so if you don't use a whole lot at a time then it'll last a very long time. I still have a backup anyways though. :D