December 18, 2014 | 1755 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2011 12:42:00 AM More reviews by niclyf

Completely unimpressed with Retin-A .... I've tried the regular and the Retin-A Micro, and neither of them lived up to the claims for improving skin texture, turnover, etc., I've tried both variations, multiple times and have been patient through the skin havoc waiting to see results that rendered it worth the pricetag and the initial drying hoping to see outstanding results. Nada .. multiple tries, different strength, variance in application to see if that would bring about results, and no matter what I did, all this product did was leave my skin irritated, dry and actually worsened my complexion each time. A complete waste of money. I"ve used $5 drugstore products that performed better than this. Definitely not something I will ever again subject my skin to.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2011 12:17:00 AM More reviews by jawsee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For as long as I can remember(since puberty), I have always had pimples. It got really bad at one point that I resorted to Accutane .Somehow, the pimples came back again, although not as dreadful before but still enough to make me cringe at my face every morning. Finally decided I had enough of bad and oily skin and searched the Internet high and low for the best products out there. Oh and by the way,I did try lots of products that claim to work wonders on acne but never seem to do me any good at all. Someone mentioned Retin A on one of Acne.org messageboards and although I was initially scared of the purging and whatnots, I decided to give it a try. It was a really rough ride. Red,peely skin, pimply skin for the first 6 months and I felt like giving up but I AM GLAD i did not. Almost a year later, i really feel comfortable with the way I look. I rarely have pimples nowadays. My skin did not glow, unfortunately. However, it is still TONS better than it was before and I am just so very grateful. But do try to drink lotsa water, eat more vegetables and fiber. Constipation used to be my main problem besides acne and I guess it must be related in some ways. Main thing is to eat healthily but do indulge once in a while, drink lots of water and sleep well(still trying my best on this)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2011 11:52:00 AM More reviews by siddhantgautam86

i have been using this product for about 4 weeks now.. I use .25% cream every night... My face has become red and flaky..little dryness is also there.. Some new pimples are also noticeable... I'm very much confused whether to continue using retin-a or not.... Well after reading all the posts here i am thinking to continue it as it has done wonders for many people.. I'll continue it for a month more and will update the result then... Plz pray that it works for me...!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2011 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Beauty4Ashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

BEST...PRODUCT...EVER!!!

HG status for me. I'm an African American in my late 20s. I've had acne issues in varying degrees since puberty. Two years ago I began using Retin A and I've noticed such a difference. I rarely ever have a pimple anymore. An added bonus is that it fights wrinkles and fine lines, according to my dermatologist.

I use sunblock in the daytime and apply this every third night. This prescription is pricey- thank God for health insurance!

A good quick description of this product is that it is this product is microdermabrasion in a tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 8:14:00 PM More reviews by izzster

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

First of all, I'm giving Retin-A five stars because it WORKS, not because it's easy.

RESULTS AFTER SIX MONTHS :

For the first time since I hit puberty my skin has been perfectly clean for weeks on end. Retin-A has been instrumental in clearing up my moderate, occasionally cystic and necrotic acne, reducing the size of my pores, tightening my skin, and lightening my acne hyper-pigmentation scars to almost nothing (not to mention evening out and lightening my freckles and overall complexion). I wore nothing but tinted moisturizer for the first time the other day and attained a look that I formerly needed foundation, concealer, powder, and a good skin-day to achieve.

Getting to this point was, however, a bitch. It took my regimen at least five months to start working because I kept messing up in little ways; to get it to work for me I had to learn to stick to all of the following guidelines:

DON'T LET YOUR SKIN GET DRY AND/OR AGGRAVATED
You will of course have an adjustment period of breakouts and irritation while your skin "purges" and acclimates to the medicine for a few weeks at the beginning. The breakouts are inevitable, BUT the irritation should be minimized to the best of your abilities. Dermatologists recommend starting your regimen with a small application once every other day or once every three days and working your way up. I can back this up from experience, along with my personal suggestion that you be patient! There's no rush to get up to using it every day, and you can lay off every now and then when you finally do start using it every day without any drawbacks. Retin-A is NOT meant to be used on raw skin, and if your skin is dry and irritated it can actually make your acne much worse for much longer. The worst breakouts of my life were on Retin-A before I managed to get my skin balanced out on it. Tough out the adjustment period at the beginning, and if after the first month or two you're still having dryness and irritation issues you likely need to adjust your regimen in one of the following ways:

* Don't apply too much or too little of the medication- if your skin isn't getting enough of the medication it won't work (personally I've found I need more than the recommended "pea-sized" amount), but if you use too much it'll dry you out, naturally making your acne worse.

* Don't leave it on too long. 7-9 hours TOPS is about all my skin can handle nightly. If I leave it on even a half hour longer than that my skin gets too dry, even flaky, and each successive application just makes the problem (and resulting breakouts) worse.

* Don't scrub too hard when you wash your face. You may need to LIGHTLY exfoliate with a washcloth once or twice a day, or not at all. I scrubbed way too hard for a long time at the beginning in desperation to get the dry skin flakes off, prolonging the adjustment period and making my skin worse. Be patient and listen to what your skin's telling you!

* Take a night or two off the regimen when, for whatever reason, your skin is getting too dry and/or aggravated. Apply a good moisturizer and let your skin heal.

YOU NEED MORE THAN JUST RETIN-A IN YOUR SKIN CARE REGIMEN
When it comes right down to it, all Retin-A does is increase cell turnover; it's the equivalent of a constant, low-level, dermabrasion peel. It works by expelling and preventing whiteheads & blackheads, which are the precursors of all mild-to-moderate acne, and improving general skin quality. All it does is put you on the same level as someone whose genetic makeup doesn't suck quite so much- you still need to cleanse, disinfect, and practice good skin-hygiene just like everyone else. Even your friend with perfect skin probably uses Neutrogena or some equivalent daily. Personally I couldn't tell what worked and what didn't work for me before Retin-A because I was constantly breaking out ALL the time. Retin-A enabled me to tell which products I could get away with using on my skin, and which products caused breakouts and needed to be nixed. With Retin-A as your base, you still need to practice the following:

* Use in tandem with a GENTLE cleanser containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. (Or your dermatologist may prescribe a topical antibiotic cleanser and/or leave-on treatment.) While adjusting to Retin-A I found my Neutrogena wash with Benzoyl Peroxide was too harsh for my skin (even though it was helping out a lot before), so I switched over to their all natural version with Willow Bark extract (aka Salicylic Acid), and my skin got markedly better over the course of just a week.

* Try using a moisturizer, toner, or makeup base that controls acne during the day. I would keep getting zits and problem areas developing during the day between applications of Retin-A and my skin never fully cleared up until I started using Clean & Clear's Dual Action Moisturizer with a .5% salicylic acid component. (I also use this moisturizer overnight when I want to take a break from my regimen when my skin's getting a little too dry. It's usually moisturizing enough to heal minor damage while still keeping my acne under control for short periods.)

* Make sure you remember to use a GOOD moisturizer daily and as needed; you have to take extra care in keeping your skin nourished and hydrated on Retin-A.

* Use a broad-spectrum, SPF15+ sunscreen daily to protect your skin as it's more susceptible to damage on this medication.

* Make sure most/all of the products you use on your face are non-comedogenic (I find this is especially important for your moisturizer and sunscreen,) and don't contain any harsh chemicals that can interfere with the medication. A good thing to look for- and avoid- are products that advertise "anti-aging," "brightening/whitening," or long-term complexion-evening properties, since these often tend to have skin-peeling/exfoliating properties (something Retin-A already does.)

68 out of 70 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 1:00:00 PM More reviews by Ayaneey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using Retin-A for about almost 3wks I got the generic kind 0.025. And it works great I honestly don't know why I didnt go to my dermatologist sooner. I've been dealing with acne for about one year off and on. So it was a struggle to be normal and have a normal skin. I've never had acne when I was in high school I had great skin! So it's a challenge dealing with painful acnes. I still have a few more left on my cheeks it won't go away! I've also had a down fall with it the first week I noticed some change, the second week I broke out crazy! and now on my third wk it's starting to decrease...has anyone experience this?

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2011 6:00:00 PM More reviews by logicaldevices

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using it for almost 1 month every 3 days at night time. It works great! Exfoliates, peels skin bringing new skin to life. However, I don't think it helps with pore size or unclogging pores since mine still gets clogged. But it does make the skin smoother and more tight and definitely does lighten the skin. I get mine in generic form, Tretinoin, at the 0.1 strength from suppliers (no prescription needed!). I also use it to exfoliate skin on darker places, like upper inner thighs. For that I've only been using it for a week now but it peels the layers and when you see the peeled layers come off, you can see that it's darker than your normal skin color, so I think it's working!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by BurberryBrit89

I have been using this for just over a year now. After finally losing the battle against the birth control pill in terms of acne, I finally sucked it up and made a derm appointment. Having been an oddity from the start (he couldn't believe I was breaking out from the pill lol) he gave me Retin A and benzoyl peroxide. (after some trial and error, we determined that salicylic acid actually breaks me out LOL). I was given Atralin and Acanya.

The first few months weren't fun, I won't lie. I had a lot of purging. (whether or not you believe that that exists) I had a lot of closed comedones, and these all had to come to a head, it was the only way to get rid of them. I also had a few pimples that appeared in weird places.

I stuck it out. Didn't really have too much flaking or peeling though. I was careful with moisturizer though.

I'm so glad I kept with it. Breaking out is so rare for me now, and anything that pops up goes away super quickly. Retin-A makes things feel 10 times faster than they normally would.

Oh, don't wax your face while using this. It WILL take off a layer of skin lmao.

Have patience. You have to get all the gunk out before you can really stop breaking out.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/4/2011 11:00:00 PM More reviews by parisrose

I will continue buying it only because i put all my hope in it. I dont know if it is working. After 10 months on this (7 months without the help of antibiotics), my skin isn't improving. I have pimples/acnes/scar everywhere, my whole face is ruined. But still I continue using it because i have tried everything and I need some hope to continue this fight with the acne monster. Retin A sounds promising but i havent seen it work on me. Can someone tell me what have I done wrong? I use this on cleansed skin at night after waiting for it to dry for 10 minutes at least. I'm at a ripe old age of 25 and I have never enjoyed a day of clear skin since 12.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2011 11:10:00 AM More reviews by dominoe456

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

meh. more trouble than its worth imao.
my derm gave me this middle strenthg gel after clindamycin & mynocin (?) pills. wasn't really working. first week made my skin really sensitive. after that it sjust got worse. by weeks three and four my skin was a mess, big, hard soar cysts. i went back to the doctor and he told me to keep using it. i used it for like five months. my skin got a little better. instead of having like twenty zits i had like fifteen. but i also had a face that flaked and peeled, and not a lttle, big chunks. and burned wen i put anything on it. people dont nneed to make up fake reviews on this stuff and how it can make a mess of yourface that *#** is for real. none of my friends have been able to use this stuff either. zapzyt works 10 xs better.