December 21, 2014 | 947 users online

Mascara - Make Up For Ever - Smoky Lash Extra Black Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2010 11:12:00 PM More reviews by ari4356

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just picked up this product, but so far I am very impressed. The wand is somewhat small, but the bristles are tightly packed together. It clumps a little, but on me it just helps make it look like I have false eyelashes on. It's very black, and holds a curl ok, but the volume it gives is amazing. I will wait and see how quickly this dries out, which is a huge pet peeve for me, but so far I really like it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2010 10:00:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

I am quite impressed with this mascara. I am not a mascara fanatic like some people here, I just like to find something that works well, and that I can be happy with. I like to have two mascaras at a time; one that's lash-conditioning and more natural looking (coloring and lengthening but not very volumizing) for everyday, and one that's more dramatic (volumizing, as black as possible, lengthening, curling) for night wear and more dramatic looks. I have been using (and am quite happy with) Fresh Firebird for my everyday mascara, and prior to getting Smoky Lash I was using Diorshow as my dramatic mascara. I got Smoky Lash as a part of a set from MUFE that contained other things that I wanted. I figured I'd give the mascara a try, but I wasn't expecting to decide that I loved it!
This is definitely a volumizing, dramatic, high-impact, big-results mascara. It *can* clump a little bit. If you wipe the wand prior to application, it won't really clump. You can also use a lash comb to remove any clumps and separate your lashes for the best possible results.
I don't find that this mascara flakes off while I'm wearing it, nor does it seem to melt, smear or give me raccoon eyes. It stays nicely on the lashes until it's washed off. It's not inordinately hard to remove, any decent eye makeup remover should do the trick without needing to scrub or pull at your lashes. My Shu Uemura cleansing oil also removes this easily and gently.
I will absolutely update my review if I find that the formula starts to flake after I've had it for a while as I've read that it does for some people. I'm not really willing to replace mascara quite as frequently as the makeup companies would like us to, so if it becomes useless after a couple months, then I'll have to find something else ... I will not buy 6 mascaras a year! I think mascaras need to last at least 3 months, and preferably 4 (any more than that is a bonus. Though some people say you should change them at that point even if they're still working fine, I prefer not to replace mascara until there is a discernible change in texture or smell etc.).
I love that it really is a very dark black, and I love the volumizing/lengthening/curling/fabulous-making properties of Smoky Lash. I would definitely recommend this mascara to others.

Now that I've had this mascara for about 3 months, I can say that I don't think the formula has become flaky or worse in any way in that time. I am very happy with Smoky Lash, and I will buy it again. I actually like it better now that I have used some of the product because I don't have as much excess mascara on the wand with each application. However, I will say that it's easy for this mascara to start getting clumpy if you don't wipe off the wand often enough, which is a pain. And even when the wand is freshly wiped, I still feel the need to use a lash comb to separate my lashes. In my opinion, the mascara formula is excellent, and the wand is pretty decent, but I wish that the tube opening pulled more mascara off the wand for a less clumpy application. If I mess with my lashes too much post-mascara I can get flaking, but I think that is true of most mascara formulas. I think it's better to apply, comb through, get it how you want it, and then don't touch it. When I do this, I don't have problems with flaking.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/20/2010 10:15:00 PM More reviews by crescentrolls

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My favorite mascara thus far in my life (isn't it a lifelong quest?). Bonus points for not rubbing off under my eyes. It can get a little clumpy if I'm overzealous in applying, but patience usually solves that problem.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2010 12:28:00 PM More reviews by ladyinsane25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this in the value set, which came with a 25 mL bottle of MUFE's Sens'eyes remover for HK$210 (around US$25) so it was pretty expensive in terms of price. However, I really like this mascara!

First off, the packaging is simple and classy. Just a long black tube with the mascara's name on it. Typical MUFE style I'd say - they don't really do fancy packaging. Now for the wand - admittedly, it looked kind of clumpy at first but it's actually really good. I think you can make the most out of this mascara if you have a lash comb. I usually do one coat, comb out the clumps (when it's wet!!) and then apply a second coat.

I think this mascara definitely volumises and lengthens my lashes, while holding a curl. Sounds too good to be true? I guess it is in a way because it flakes :( Not EXTREME flake but after a day out in summer's humid climate it DOES flake. (One lippie off for that) So far though I'm really happy with my purchase. Usually with mascaras I get tired of them after a few weeks but this I'm hoping to use up. (A first!) If you have a mascara base then definitely try it because I think your lashes will look AMAZING if this is paired with a base.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2010 8:35:00 AM More reviews by cheezy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! This is hands down the BEST mascara I've ever used! Gives me crazy length, and volume. When you initially buy it the product is slightly clumpy, was for me at least. I tried it when I first got it then set it aside and forgot about it for a month or so. Went to use it again after it sit for a bit and it worked so well! Doesn't clump(after letting it sit though...not sure why this makes a difference but it does) at all on me now. It is quite expensive though, which is quite a downer, but personally I think it's worth every penny, and then some! I'll definitely purchase this again, and again, and again. And again. That is, unless I go into debt from this stuff.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/6/2010 6:09:00 PM More reviews by chocolatemartini

Passable mascara for most people I would suspect, but fails for me because it doesn't do what I need it to...

My lashes are stick straight and short.

The main thing I was looking and hoping for when purchasing this mascara was the 'curl' as claimed in their packaging and marketing materials. This mascara does not hold curls whatsoever. Just like all the other 'curling' mascaras I've tried. I felt cheated. Its not a bad mascara per se but it falls short of my expectations. Flakes and smudges slightly as well. The wand is big and bulky so I found it hard to apply without messing up my lids and under eye since my lashes are short.

If you are looking for a curling mascara, the best one in the market has to be max factor's masterpiece waterproof. That and one by the brand 'majorlica majorca' you can only get in Asia. Smokey lash by MUFE is not it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2010 3:23:00 PM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Somewhat lengthening and very thickening. I would say this is for someone like me with tiny, thin lashes. Very long wearing without much smudging/flakes compared to other volumizing types I've tried. Held my curl pretty well.

CONS: Not super long wearing like a tube mascara would be, but tubes won't give you this volume! There were very few and very tiny smudges/flakes after many hours, but not bad AT ALL compared to most mascaras that give any volume. Time-consuming to apply. May actually be too much volume for some.

APPLICATION TIPS: The artist did recommend that you could use a comb to separate lashes after applying (and I would roll this along a paper towel or something first) because this can be clumpy. I am a recent convert to using Shiseido's popular curler too.

ALTERNATES: The Rocket by Maybelline (waterproof) is wonderful for volume and lots of length. For lots of volume and good length, I like Jordana's Volumizing Mascara OR Covergirl Remarkable Washable Mascara, which stays on very well for nonwaterproof, The new Manga mascara by L'Oreal is fantastic for length and volume that lasts a long time without smudging; I'm kind of in love with it.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2010 12:43:00 AM More reviews by 3lueMuffin

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this in a set for $50 that included a sample of the primer, full size of the HD powder, eyeliner and this mascara. I really liked this mascara, it lengthened and volumized my lashes beautifully :) I already have really long lashes but it just made them really stand out. Only bad thing i noticed was it clumped sometimes and was a bit flakey.. also not waterproof at all it will give u racoon eyes if u get your face wet. Other than that, will repurchase :)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2010 9:53:00 PM More reviews by britney54

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This mascara is pretty good. It makes my eyelashes very long and voluminous. However, it flakes and dries up quickly. I may buy it again sometime.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2010 11:49:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

Always hoping to find my HG in a mascara I read the reveiws on this product so I rushed out to buy one - forking out too much money for a product that for me just clumped my lashes badly and dried up quickly. I have not been that impressed with MUFE products anyway and this product was no exception. It is usable but has such a short life span and is so thick and clumpy I cannot recommend it. Trying the new Cover Girl Fusion mascara next....wish me luck.