October 2, 2014 | 1421 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by virgomoon964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just recently tried this as an exfoliator for my face, and I have to say I LOVE it. I was looking for something with the same consistency as Proactiv. (the granules). This nailed it!!!! Add a little baking soda to your face cleanser (I use CeraVe hydrating cleanser) It is absolutely perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. And the best part is it is so inexpensive.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2011 8:27:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVE BAKING SODA! I use it in so much. I make almost everything myself, and baking soda is in almost all of it. My face wash, deodorant, toothpaste, and almost every single one of my homemade cleaning recipes. I also found that it makes a really great "personal" scrub. I wax, and I wax EVERYTHING. Therefore, I'm really nervous about ingrowns and am also a bit nervous about using chemical exfoliators since it's such a sensitive and thin area. So I mix 2:1 ratio of baking soda to apple cider vinegar, and it keeps my ingrowns at bay and leaves me feeling as fresh and clean as a daisy. I haven't tried it on my face, but I use a very gentle exfoliating scub with oatmeal, cornmeal, chamomile flowers, and powdered milk. I may substitute this for the powdered milk next time and see what happens. I have to get the 5 lbs bag from Amazon just to keep up with how much I use it. So cheap, so versitile, and so effective. GREAT!
EDIT: I had heard that people who use the ACV rinse, also use a diluted baking soda and water mix as a shampoo or pre shampoo. I've started doing this and it's great! I mix 2 tbs baking soda with 1 cup of water and store in an old squeeze bottle. I apply it to my hair prior to getting in the shower, rinse, then spray my AVC rinse on. My hair smells and looks so good!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2011 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Marianthoula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just love baking soda as an exfoliator for my face.
I mix it with Cetaphil cleanser (usually 1 teaspoon of soda with 2 pumps of Cetaphil, but the consistency is a matter of personal choice) and lightly scrub my face and neck once a week. It beats expensive exfoliators into oblivion (Sisley, I am looking at you...). And you know what? My aesthetician did not believe that my soft and smooth face was all due to this! People will not believe you when you tell them this dirt-cheap product does such great job!
You will never ever have to dish out your hard-earned money to other stuff as long as you can use that beauty trick.
I also use it to exfoliate my body (same technique-larger quantities) but I am usually too bored to do this more than every 2-3 months. - - - - - EDIT 21/01/2012: For body I have switched to a Salux towel. Sooooooooo easy and effective! - - - - -
I have not yet tried this for my teeth, too scared of abrasion.
Another use is to add a tablespoon in the detergent compartment of my washing machine. It is supposed to prevent deposits from the water building on the inside of the machine. I do not know how well it works, though. I always do a cycle with Viacal 2 times a year, just to play safe!
I gave packaging quality a 5 because you can put it in any container you like :) Quick, easy and clean.
The price is (of course) unbeatable and I will continue to repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2011 6:18:00 PM More reviews by lovesyou

I love this.I use it for 2 things
1.)as a teeth whitener i been brushing my teeth on/off in baking soda every since i had teeth.Its great at whitening but tastes horrible!
2.)as a face mask(queen latifah uses this also) this clear up my acne completly.I mix it with water until i get this liquidy paste and leave it on there 10-15 minutes.When i took it off my pimple were dramatically smaller and less red but i would only recommend using this once a week because it'll dry out your skin if you use it every night.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 7:49:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I too use and LOVE baking side. I use it for a few things:

1 - Teeth Whitener.

I dip my toothbrush in the baking soda bowl I keep in my bathroom drawer. Then brush. Its a great deodorizer too.

2 - Facial Exfoliant
Just mix a bit in with any face wash, or facial soap. Then wash. Or, you can use it plain on your face. Helps to lighten dark spots, and the little tiny granules scrub away dead skin cells. Wonderful!!

3 - Scalp Cleanser
You can mix it into your shampoo, or apply to the scalp directly to make it a clarifying shampoo. Will strip your hair of all buildup, without over drying.

4 - Deodorizer
I put some in my ballet flats when I wear without socks - or my tennis shoes when the weather is warm.

5 - Chemical Peel Neutralizing Spritz
I use the MUAC chemical peels from time to time. Baking soda is my secret to stopping the chemical action immediately. I used to use water, but now, I take a clean spritzer bottle and add baking soda. Shake it up. Then after I apply my peel, I spritz as the timing comes up. Great because I can neutralize parts of my face that are more sensitive, without washing everything off. Over time, I began to add other things to the neutralizing mix - aloe vera juice is really good to mix in with it too.

6. Zit Paste
This will help to dry out your zits and prevent scarring.

7. Laundry
I leave a box on top of the washing machine. When I wash my whites, towels, etc, I sprinkle this in there (and sometimes borax too) and it gets EVERYTHING brighter! Its great. Never used it with color though. But the whites DO get whiter, never have dingy looking clothes.

There are so many other uses.... too many to name!

Bottom Line: This is a household staple. No reason we shouldn't keep this, Lemon Juice, ACV, Coconut Oil, and Olive Oil ALWAYS on hand for out secret remedies! :O)

Happy beautifying girlllsss

34 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2011 5:31:00 AM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've started using this stuff as a teeth whitener cos even though i have very healthy teeth they always looks very yellowish next to my pale skin. I even avoided smiling in photos because i'm paranoid my yellow teeth will ruin the picture! This stuff has started to turn my life around, even though its a slow and subtle remedy-at lightening and brightening my teeth-the effects have given me so much confidence and I'm no longer afraid to smile infront of the camera. I mix this powder form into my tooth paste (WARNING: this stuff tasted horrific if you don't put enough tooth paste with it) and brush my teeth with it once or twice a week. This stuff is so incredibly cheap too-only 87pence for a large pot. I'm looking forward to finding other uses for this product cos its a great everyday non-allergenic tool.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2011 11:36:00 AM More reviews by jarona

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Baking Soda is great for a number of uses...i.e., bee stings--along with other bug bites; keeping your fridge from getting foul-smelling; in recipes as a leavener; exfoliation, brushing teeth...and.....
drum roll please.....as a preventative in gum health.

A recent trip to the dentist had me in the chair of the hygenist getting a lesson in gum care. To prevent against gingivitis, she suggested that I make a "paste" of a couple of teaspoons of baking soda and a few drops of hydrogen peroxide. Place the paste on the gums and with one of those rubber-tippy metal sticks, massage the baking soda into the gums and in between your teeth. Twice a day. It'll help make your gums strong and healthy. By golly this works. My gums were swollen and bled easily. No more! Swelling down. No more bleeding and they are healthy. Who knew? Thank goodness Baking Soda is dirt cheap because in the past month I've gone through quite a bit!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2011 10:05:00 PM More reviews by dibbun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Probably the best - and only - tip from Paula Begoun I've used. I have a separate box of this in my bathroom. When in the shower I just sprinkle a little in my hand, make a past with water, and scrub. I have used it with face wash, but prefer it alone. For the record, my skin is combination, and really sensitive, and this hasn't irritated while getting rid of all the flakes. After investing in expensive scrubs and having all the scrubbies being far and few between, and not really getting rid of anything, this works great. I wish it didn't come in a cardboard container, as it disintegrates in the humidity, but I suppose it'd be ease to move it to a regular container.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2011 9:50:00 PM More reviews by isabellalouise13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and it's amazing. It actually makes my face all glowy like nothing else. I usually use it after I've already cleansed my face with Dove Two-in-One Cleanser and Toner, to get makeup off and to get better results from the baking soda. Like everyone has already said, it's a great gentle exfoliant that really works.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2011 11:39:00 PM More reviews by starlee2

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Baking soda is a great exfoliant. Most exfoliators and facial scrubs use particles that are too large that can put tiny lacerations and cuts on your face, which gathers bacteria. Baking soda particles are small enough that they won't give you these scratches.

For some people, baking soda and water as a paste works as a mask. I've tried this and it made my face feel so dry and tight, which I didn't like. However, I use this as an exfoliator all the time, and it makes my face feel very clean and smooth. I just mix a little in with my cleanser, and it works great! I will never buy an expensive facial scrub again.