Baking Soda

Price: $

Sodium bicarbonate

on 11/14/2011 2:10:00 PM

Who would have guessed?
I had clear skin until I left home for university. Suddenly my skin exploded with acne (deep cystic acne, pimples, whiteheads, blackheads, millia, you name it.) Every section of my face forehead to chin, cheek to cheek, under my jaw and around my eyes, was absolutely covered in painful lumps. Prescription antibiotics and topical treatments didn't work for me. I was cheer captain and a social butterfly before.....after the acne it was a rough time. SO :) This is what I did.
I started a diet of no grains, fruit, potatoes, corn, sugar, or anything that spikes insulin levels. (insulin is a 'fuel' for acne)
I use a baking soda mask every night.
I mix benzoyle peroxide with my moisterizer.
I cleanse with gentle cleaners, and avoid letting my face touch anything (including pillowcases, clothing, hands)
In two weeks I went from literally hundreds of acne marks to two pimples.
As one of my main acne fighting tools, I would highly recommend baking soda to anyone looking for clear skin.
Extremely cheap. Extremely easy :)

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Once a week this is amazing as an exfoliate. It also is great to mix with it shampoo as a clarifying treatment. If you use hairspray and other product in your hair you have to try it. I've experimented with it and have found that daily use is no good for my skin. However once or twice a week is perfect. My face always feels and looks so eventoned and soft after using it. I just mix a little in with my daily cleanser.

on 11/7/2011 4:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

love this! i have seriously problematic skin! I get cystic acne if I neglect my skin or use the wrong type of products. I've come to realize after 10 years of fighting acne that I need to exfoliate everyday! Some people will think that's too much but it works for me! ive tried the once/twice a week thing and had more pimples and blackheads then. The baking soda scrub allows me to exfoliate so often because it doesnt irritate my skin like other exfoliators do. Many other exfoliators contain many chemicals and unnatural ingredients that are irritating.
how i use this: I dampen my face with water, I pour the ussual amount of my cleanser into the palm of my hand (I use a foaming one from mac) then I pour a bit baking soda in too, mix it up and scrub away. Rinse. so I cleanse and exfoliate all in one go.
I usually feel that there is no need to use a toner after as i know all the dirt, makeup, dead skin have been removed! sometimes I use a toner just to check and it comes back clear.
The best part is that I can really feel my serum and moisturizer being absorbed into my skin afterwards and my face just feels so soft.
since starting this my skin has been so much smoother and clearer, my complexion is just brighter too. I'm so happy!
I can imagine it wont work wonders for everyone but it works for me and it's cheap!
Ive also tried it on my teeth.It's a bit strong so I limit the use on that area as it could be abbrassive. I cant comment on the whitening effects yet but it cleans quite well.

on 11/6/2011 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I stumbled across this while looking for something for my pimples ( due to heat and sweat) . I have to say I am amazed ! Who would have thought that something so easily available would solve most of my problem.
I have oily skin and living in a tropical region it doesn't get better in the summer as i start to get heat pimple and open pores.
I was reading reviews from MUA on Friday and thought i'd give it a try when i got home. First application dried me out a bit , thats maybe because i left it on too long but when i washed my face my fingers were just kinda slipping on my face. Day 2 used less BS and mixed it with my face wash, was much better and my face didn't shine so much throughout the day. Am amazed !

on 10/29/2011 11:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I've been using baking soda as a facial exfoliant for about a month now, and it's working great. I use it every Sat and mix it in with my favourite cleanser to form a sort of paste - not too thick, not too runny, then I apply it to my face as if I was applying a face mask. I don't scrub, I just make sure all my face is covered (excluding the delicate eye area, of course). I rinse with warm water and that's when I scrub in small circles. Be careful not too scrub too hard as it is rather abrasive. Being gentle really does give the best results. Afterwards to help soothe my face I apply a generous blob of moisturizer, and that's it! Done.

It's dirt cheap and gets the job done. I started using it after I found that many scrubs would leave my face itchy and blotchy. So I really like it now that I can use a cleanser that I know doesn't cause me trouble, and the particles are very fine so feel like they really do help remove the dead skin. It's been awesome not having to worry about makeup catching in all the flakey areas around my nose and mouth.

As for storage, I poured my tub of baking soda into a decorative glass bottle with an air tight stopper. Makes it look a lot prettier! I'd definitely recommend this 'product' and I'll be buying it again once I run out.

on 10/22/2011 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Mixed with a cleanser this is the best exfoliator ever. Using it with just water is a bit too harsh though. I also add one or two drops of tea tree oil to the mix which makes it great for acne.

on 9/28/2011 8:47:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just recently tried this as an exfoliator for my face, and I have to say I LOVE it. I was looking for something with the same consistency as Proactiv. (the granules). This nailed it!!!! Add a little baking soda to your face cleanser (I use CeraVe hydrating cleanser) It is absolutely perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. And the best part is it is so inexpensive.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

LOVE BAKING SODA! I use it in so much. I make almost everything myself, and baking soda is in almost all of it. My face wash, deodorant, toothpaste, and almost every single one of my homemade cleaning recipes. I also found that it makes a really great "personal" scrub. I wax, and I wax EVERYTHING. Therefore, I'm really nervous about ingrowns and am also a bit nervous about using chemical exfoliators since it's such a sensitive and thin area. So I mix 2:1 ratio of baking soda to apple cider vinegar, and it keeps my ingrowns at bay and leaves me feeling as fresh and clean as a daisy. I haven't tried it on my face, but I use a very gentle exfoliating scub with oatmeal, cornmeal, chamomile flowers, and powdered milk. I may substitute this for the powdered milk next time and see what happens. I have to get the 5 lbs bag from Amazon just to keep up with how much I use it. So cheap, so versitile, and so effective. GREAT!
EDIT: I had heard that people who use the ACV rinse, also use a diluted baking soda and water mix as a shampoo or pre shampoo. I've started doing this and it's great! I mix 2 tbs baking soda with 1 cup of water and store in an old squeeze bottle. I apply it to my hair prior to getting in the shower, rinse, then spray my AVC rinse on. My hair smells and looks so good!

on 9/14/2011 11:27:00 AM

I just love baking soda as an exfoliator for my face.
I mix it with Cetaphil cleanser (usually 1 teaspoon of soda with 2 pumps of Cetaphil, but the consistency is a matter of personal choice) and lightly scrub my face and neck once a week. It beats expensive exfoliators into oblivion (Sisley, I am looking at you...). And you know what? My aesthetician did not believe that my soft and smooth face was all due to this! People will not believe you when you tell them this dirt-cheap product does such great job!
You will never ever have to dish out your hard-earned money to other stuff as long as you can use that beauty trick.
I also use it to exfoliate my body (same technique-larger quantities) but I am usually too bored to do this more than every 2-3 months. - - - - - EDIT 21/01/2012: For body I have switched to a Salux towel. Sooooooooo easy and effective! - - - - -
I have not yet tried this for my teeth, too scared of abrasion.
Another use is to add a tablespoon in the detergent compartment of my washing machine. It is supposed to prevent deposits from the water building on the inside of the machine. I do not know how well it works, though. I always do a cycle with Viacal 2 times a year, just to play safe!
I gave packaging quality a 5 because you can put it in any container you like :) Quick, easy and clean.
The price is (of course) unbeatable and I will continue to repurchase.

on 8/30/2011 6:18:00 PM

I love this.I use it for 2 things
1.)as a teeth whitener i been brushing my teeth on/off in baking soda every since i had teeth.Its great at whitening but tastes horrible!
2.)as a face mask(queen latifah uses this also) this clear up my acne completly.I mix it with water until i get this liquidy paste and leave it on there 10-15 minutes.When i took it off my pimple were dramatically smaller and less red but i would only recommend using this once a week because it'll dry out your skin if you use it every night.

Popular Other Products