April 17, 2014 | 977 users online

Other - Baking Soda

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2011 10:05:00 PM More reviews by dibbun

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Probably the best - and only - tip from Paula Begoun I've used. I have a separate box of this in my bathroom. When in the shower I just sprinkle a little in my hand, make a past with water, and scrub. I have used it with face wash, but prefer it alone. For the record, my skin is combination, and really sensitive, and this hasn't irritated while getting rid of all the flakes. After investing in expensive scrubs and having all the scrubbies being far and few between, and not really getting rid of anything, this works great. I wish it didn't come in a cardboard container, as it disintegrates in the humidity, but I suppose it'd be ease to move it to a regular container.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2011 9:50:00 PM More reviews by isabellalouise13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and it's amazing. It actually makes my face all glowy like nothing else. I usually use it after I've already cleansed my face with Dove Two-in-One Cleanser and Toner, to get makeup off and to get better results from the baking soda. Like everyone has already said, it's a great gentle exfoliant that really works.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2011 11:39:00 PM More reviews by starlee2

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Baking soda is a great exfoliant. Most exfoliators and facial scrubs use particles that are too large that can put tiny lacerations and cuts on your face, which gathers bacteria. Baking soda particles are small enough that they won't give you these scratches.

For some people, baking soda and water as a paste works as a mask. I've tried this and it made my face feel so dry and tight, which I didn't like. However, I use this as an exfoliator all the time, and it makes my face feel very clean and smooth. I just mix a little in with my cleanser, and it works great! I will never buy an expensive facial scrub again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2011 6:22:00 PM More reviews by threejane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Baking soda...I'm kind of (okay, no, I AM) an exfoliant whore and I have to say after trying several (expensive and cheap) exfoliators, I keep coming back to my el-cheapo baking soda.

As long as you use enough water (think more watery slurry, not toothpaste) and don't scrub like you're tackling an oil spill on your garage floor, this will keep your skin clear, glowing, and flaky-free. It doesn't remove makeup, so I use it in the shower after a cleanser to get off the mascara and such. I don't use it as a mask, just as a scrub, so I can't speak to that usage. You *will* need moisturizer afterward, as it is very alkaline and will dry your face out just like regular soap washing will.

I was lucky enough to get a facial at the Wynn Hotel last year, and I'd been using baking soda 3-4 times a week. The esthetician asked me what I used for exfoliating (they use Naturopathica - can you say spendy?) and when I told her, she stopped what she was doing in utter disbelief. I'm 40 years old and she commented on how smooth and clear my skin was, how small my pores were, and said she was going to try it when she went home!

So a few tips: slurry, not paste. Don't crank your fingers into your face like you're giving a Swedish massage or you *will* end up with what amounts to an abrasive burn that will take a week to go away (especially around your eyes and over the high points of your face, like your cheekbones). Keep in the box outside the shower or it'll get wet and clump (or keep in a screw top jar in the shower or wherever you do your face). At 99 cents a box, it's a freaking bargain compared to some of the stuff I've used out there (but of course, I'll keep experimenting).

32 out of 32 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2011 11:33:00 AM More reviews by Tiltyred

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Last night I washed my hair with 2 tbls baking soda dissolved in 2 cups of water. I just poured the water over my head and massaged my scalp really well. Then I rinsed it with water and then I poured a mixture of 1 tbl apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of water over my head as a final rinse. It was squeaky clean. I let it air dry and then used a little bit of coconut oil rubbed between my palms and finger combed through my hair before I combed it out with a comb. It looks beautiful and it feels great! I'm really surprised! I am doing this because I've become allergic to most hair products and needed to find an all natural way to get my hair clean and conditioned. I do need the coconut oil because my ends are dry. But it is great to know I don't have to put sulphates and parabens and proteins and silicones etc etc on my hair for it to look good!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 6:02:00 PM More reviews by Shaz809

I use baking soda about twice a week to exfoliate my skin, just mix it into my usual cleanser, it works much better than branded exfoliators. Also use it every two weeks mixed with shampoo to get rid of residue from styling products from my hair...oh and i use it to wash my hair brushes aswell, just fill the sink with hot water add the baking soda and let the brush soak for 10 minutes. Will definatly keep buying, great product! x

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by twasinger

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Exfoliates better than anything I've ever used....and at age 53, I've tried everything. Gentle enough to use daily. I keep a tupperware jar in the shower for full body exfoliating. You can't beat the price either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2011 10:50:00 AM More reviews by LookingGood85

I have tried so many facialscrubs, Cliniques, No7, St Ives, Origins, you name it! they all worked to some extent but never made a massive difference. Until now! I use baking soda mixed into a paste with some cold water and use that on its own as a scrub and OH MY WORD my skin has never been so great! Pores smaller, less breakouts, scars fading and skin so smooth and soft!! I always use this scrub every night after taking my makeup off to ensure my skin is free from it, and use Cliniques Moisture Surge gel afterwards. I will NEVER go back to using a branded face scrub again! Especially when a tub of bicarb costs me 56p!!! :D Honestly, if you love face scrubs you need to try this!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 7:38:00 PM More reviews by Vivaglamgaga

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this every other time I wash my hair ( I add it to my shampoo) to get rid of build up. I also use it as a spot treatment for my modderate acne.Great product I definatly recomend it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 7:21:00 PM More reviews by angela239

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Use this in a little cleanser and it does help keep the pores minimized!I put it in my hair to help removed build up once,twice a week.Good stuff!
I see results.