April 16, 2014 | 939 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Volum' Express The Colossal

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by IsminiK

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this mascara a year ago and I've been using this primarily when I don't worry about being very pampered or as a cheap and mediocre alternative for saving my favorite Max Factor False Lash Effect Mascara. It does nothing for me except for adding some length (nothing significant or impressive though). I don't know why I bought it again (must be the price). It clumps a LOT and after 2-3 layers it leaves my lashes unable to blink, because it's very thick. I also hate the applicator, because it's so fat and big and the product tends to concentrate on the end of the brush and its really annoying. If you're not careful there are whole balls of mascara on your lashes..meh. The extra black version of this mascara leads to just blacker clumps. Huuuge disappointment. It's only good for daily use and no more than 2 layers. Try something better :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 1:12:00 PM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know why I keep buying and trying Maybelline mascara. The price and the hype lure me in I suppose. This is another mascara that I just don't use. First of all the packaging is ugly. Not that that affects the product quality but I still don't like the school bus yellow color and the fat wand has a short handle which doesn't fit my hand well. The brush is straight, fat but tapers down to a narrow end for the inner lashes, and it applies the mascara very sparsely. I used 3 coats to get the look I want, (which is not spider Kim Kardashian lashes in case you were wondering) and this starts to clump on the second coat and by the third coat it was really getting unworkable. I really don't like this product at all but still I am trying to use it up and not waste my money. I think for the natural I'm not wearing mascara look, this would be okay, but it doesn't do what I expect it to. It will give you volume but you have to deal with clumps to get it. Ugh.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 10:17:00 AM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Probably my favorite mascara of all time. No joke. I'm a mascara junkie, I've used everything from Diorshow, Chanel, Cover Girl and Maybelline, but The Colossal does the trick every time. I love Maybelline mascaras, they have never failed me (except for great lash...I have NO clue how anyone could love that stuff...ugh). The colossal was no exception!

The brush is nice and fluffy with smaller bristles which I find tend to clump less. The color is nice and dark, and it washes off easy. Now, mind you, I have long, full lashes to begin with, so a larger brush works wonders for me. If you have smaller lashes you may have some difficulty applying this, but I still think it could work for smaller lashes! I've already used two tubes of it and can't stop, I'm addicted! I get compliments on my lashes all the time.
*Word of caution, the Colossal cat eyes is TERRIBLE. A total opposite from the original so if you're inbetween lines, go with the regular one!!!*

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2013 3:18:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Uhg, I love this mascara, but I noticed alot more lash fallout when using this. Upon reading many online reviews, found that it is a common problem with this mascara. I tossed it, sadly. I get similar results with The Falsies without the lost lashes.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/8/2013 8:06:00 PM More reviews by FeenFeenFeen

I bought this product online in New Zealand for about $12 and normally all store bought mascaras here are $20+ so I got a bargain which was good considering I had no idea if this was good.

First off I love Maybelline products I love the XXL Extensions Length mascara so I thought lets give The Colossal a go.

I HATE it! I love the packaging but the brush its horrible. I find the brush quite thick and round for a mascara brush. The bristles are really far apart so i've found it separates my lashes in sections. So i end up what looks like: a few lashes clumped into one.... huge gap... then a few more lashes clumped into one. It take a few coats to get going, which i do anyway and coat til im happy, but I found this one didnt really make my lashes stand out, it looked like I had sparse, short lashes and didnt do anthing for my long lashes.

Also the smell!!! woah! it stinks! its really chemically, normally things like that and packaging etc dont bother me, i really couldnt care less, but for the sake of this review the product reeks! its really strong and I actually noticed it.

I didnt want to waste this product so I used my trusty Maybelline XXL Extensions Length mascara over the top of this ( I have a review on that too). Definitely wont be buying The Colossal again, but it was worth a try and Ill keep trying Maybelline products because I know theyre generally good.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/7/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by anhitchcock

It was decent mascara, a little expensive for what I would like to pay. It's definitely not my favorite but it's good mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2013 3:15:00 AM More reviews by brandysbeauty

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Colossal mascara? Check! I did like it, and if this review would be in a very beginning when i jsut started using it, there would be nothing negative to say about it... But I started using it a month ago and right now you can see it is dry, or drying,,,
I love mascara and still will buy it, it is very disappointing to have mascara to dry out so soon

rated 4 of 5 on 5/6/2013 3:33:00 PM More reviews by KamieShammy

This mascara will not change your life. It's not going to make you have Twiggy's eyelashes with just one swipe. It's good for the price. It's packaged in colorful packaging which is honestly the only reason I bought it! It's not as good as some mascaras but it's better than most. I'd say this is my second favorite drugstore mascara, following Maybelline's Define-A-Lash. The mascara has a chlorine smell to it but it's nothing that will knock you out or make your day unpleasant. It has great staying power, too! I wore it for the first time yesterday & I ended up crying hysterically (It was from the ending of a book... haha) and my mascara looked perfect post-cry. I'd buy this again if I had to. It's definitely not a HG mascara, but it's better than most.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by dakgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Better than The Rocket but just ok, nothing special.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/3/2013 3:17:00 AM More reviews by JuJu05

It's a good mascara. Good volume, thickening formula, and OK extension. The only problem was the irritation to my eyes, and the way it smelled.I felt like I was putting chemicals out the lab straight unto my face. I never experienced that with other mascaras. Something that smelled like that, cannot be good for u!