September 20, 2014 | 1485 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2010 6:04:00 PM More reviews by yanchenqi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This works really well in my yellow based skin undertone (MAC C4). It is matte finish. it has a hint of green IMO. Very pretty. Highly recommend!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2010 3:30:00 AM More reviews by make_up_maven

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay so I'm late to the party on trying MAC PP's. I realize this is supposed to be an eyeshadow, however, it seems everyone is using it as an eyeshadow base. I have extremely oily lids and I've tried TFSI, UDPP, LG Spackle and Benefit SDS. Of the three Benefit works the best for me, but still by the end of the day I have creasing and oily lids, and I apply transparent powder to my lids twice a day and still the problem. Anyway, I decided to try this as a base, because of all the rave reviews. FAIL! As a shadow, this product is mediocre at best, it's hard to spread, hard to blend and dries too fast while applying. As a base it's a complete fail for me. By the end of 8 hours, the colored eyeshadow that I applied over it was COMPLETELY gone. No color left whatsoever. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen! Vanishing eyeshadow. When came home from work, it was like I had never applied eyeshadow that day. That never happens with the 4 eyeshadow bases I mentioned above. With those, my eyeshadow didn't look stellar by the end of the day, but at least the eyeshadow was still there and it was still colored! With this as a base, at the end of my 8 hour work day, my eyelids were completely flesh colored. It's going back. Wished it had worked out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2010 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Caligallola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I told the woman at the MAC counter that I needed an eye primer she handed me the paint pot in Soft Ochre. I frowned and thought why an eyeshadow I wanted an eye primer. I bought it anyway and I can't imagine barely discovering this. I love love love doing up my eyes, my skin gets oily throughout the day and by night my shadow looks bad. With this eyeshadow goes on nicely and when it is time to take it off at night it looks like I just applied it. No kidding. This is a must if you have oliy skin and need something to help keep your eyeshadow on. It's a generous amount and should last a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by woodwinkedgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying that this is an essential product in my kit. For medium to light skintones this will neutralize any discoloration in your eyelids, providing an even matte base for your shadows. As a base, paint pots are extremely effective. I believe that those who claim to experience creasing have simply applied too much. I recommend that you use your fingers to apply this on yourself, and a concealer brush to apply it to others. It's easy to sanitize as well, and basically... I can't say anything bad about this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by syeung2

Product - Matte yellow-beige. Soft, smooth, creamy texture. A light layer will set quickly, so blend as you go. Definitely budgeproof, even on my oily-prone lids. I prefer applying with a wide, flat synthetic e/s brush with rounded head. Soft Ochre could also pass as a concealer shade for NC20 or so. Alone it doesn't do much for me, except even out my lid color (some days I need that) - it's very noticeable when I first dot it on (it's a shade or two too light against my AAB/NC25 skincolor) but it pretty much disappears when I blend it down and leaves a matte finish. But I bought this to use as a base, and particularly to prevent creasing of eyeshadows - and to that end it's spectacular. It really makes both my powder and creme e/s stay put and keeps the eyelid oilies at bay. I'll also note that it is non-drying to my aging lids.

Comparisons - I like using this so much more than a goopy eye primer - it's so easy to work with and the results are great. When I want a little more pizzazz in my eyeshadow base, I use MAC Paint Pot in Rubenesque instead, which adds some shimmer and warmer, golden peach tones.

Packaging - Round glass jar with domed black lid, like Fluidlines jars but wider.

Overall - This is the HG creme eyeshadow base for my oily lids. I don't need to look for an eye primer now! :)

UPDATE: two years of regular use and it's drying out and harder to work with; just got NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone and it's my new HG base - it's a much better match for me (AAB/NC25). continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2010 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Lealyn23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love all of the paint pots!! They are great quality and have so many functions! I use for bases, in my waterline, as eyeliner, and for my eyebrows! They last a very long time too. Soft Ochre is great for yellow undertones from NC 20 to NC 35. It last all day and evens out the skin tone. I love the jar and how much you get for your money. I wish all of the paint pots were permanent cause they are a staple in my kit.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2010 4:46:00 PM More reviews by lsc87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this as a base. Colours really pop on it, colours stay fixed on it all day and it doesn't crease! I have oily lids so those primer potions and shadow insurance stuff just doesn't work for me at all as 20 mins after the colour is already in my crease! This makes my shadow stay all day, I wouldn't be without it! There is a huge amount in the pot, so even though I use it most day I am no way near close to running out! The downside is that the pot is very heavy, there is just too much glass in the base.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2010 3:32:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Soft Ochre is the best base I have ever tried as far as: Evening out skintone, keeping lids from getting oily without drying them out, keeping shadows in place and making a smooth surface to apply shadows.

The first PP I owned was Painterly but since I am more yellow toned it looked a little pastel on me, which is fine after I am finished with shadows but I would much rather have a shade that complements my skintone. This is a must have if you are yellow toned! I just dab on with my fingertips and smooth over with a foundation brush to blend away the edges.

I will def. be re-purchasing when I run low!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2010 10:09:00 AM More reviews by jessmarie09

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this paint pot almost daily. I have oily lids and I use it as a primer. I like it very much. It takes about 6 hours before my lids begin to crease and even then...not too bad. It can look a bit ashy if applied too thick. It is more cold neutral beigy whereas painterly is pinkish warm neutral beigy. I don't own painterly because I thought this color matched my skin tone better and I like it. I would recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/8/2010 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Gogogo

This is a fail for me! I chose Soft Ochre because it nearly matches my extremely yellow-olive skin, despite being a little light. I got it after going through my first bottle of TFSI because I thought it might help intensify my shadows while acting as a primer (like UDPP with better packaging). I have been using this for a couple of months without denting the pot but I am unimpressed with the results!

:( My shadows rarely look intense- I like to layer matte shadows over shimmery ones for a satiny effect but with this all of my eyeshadows will fade within 6 hrs regardless of what I do. Today I used some of my leftover TFSI and was amazed with the results in comparison to Soft Ochre, which is a bad sign D: I had been hoping for a brilliant primer but this works LITERALLY the same as concealer under shadows, maybe worse because it fades by the end of the day! Due to its extremely matte nude tone I don't think I'll wear it alone as an eyeshadow...poo for MAC :( not too impressive but it's functional.