November 21, 2014 | 1793 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2010 1:38:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Soft Ochre works wonderfully as a base for keeping eye shadows in place and looking fresh and crease free all day long. And like its cousin, Painterly, it is excellent for blanking out discolourations or blueness in the lids, so that the shadows applied look perfect. The texture of this is just terrific - it glides on smoothly but blots out any imperfections. It's just not as good a colour for me as Painterly (which is why I said I wouldn't buy it again) but it works really well and looks great under brown or bronze coloured shadows. If your skin is a bit less pink/more olive toned, this would be a must have product for you.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2010 4:49:00 AM More reviews by Asti1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE it. So versatile as I use it as an eye primer AND a lip primer. I use it daily. I find the best way to use it is with my ring finger, the warmth from your finger helps it to blend nicely although you don't have that long as it does dry quickly. Sometimes I just use this as an eyeshadow on work days when I can't be bothered, it just brightens up my eyes and makes me look more awake. As for the lips, again I use my finger and swipe it over before applying any of my bright or dark lipsticks and liners. Really helps to keep my lippy in place. It is a little drying but I don't wear it daily on my lips so it's fine IMO. Keeps my eyeshadow in place all day too. Deffo recommend! X

rated 2 of 5 on 8/1/2010 3:57:00 AM More reviews by lmbernabe

I really wanted to like this product but sadly I did not. I have oily lids and I thought that the creaminess of the paint pot would counteract that oiliness but it really didn't. It left my eyelid chalky and very unappealing. It also dries really fast, which makes it almost unblendable the longer it sits. I don't know if its just this one (I got a bad batch) because I love my Reubenesque paint pot. The textures of the two are both completely different.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2010 1:54:00 AM More reviews by dragonfly77

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

i really wanted to love this product because it seemed to be so versatile but... it was so hard to blend on my eyelids!! i have pretty oily skin and my eyelids are pretty oily as well so i don't know why i would have a problem with this. i have tried using my fingers and a fluffy blending brush but nothing seems to work. BUT!! it does seem so go on a lot more smoothly with a makeup primer under it so if you put on foundation and primer everyday this shouldn't be much of a hassle for you but i tend to like to just put a little powder on my face so taking out my primer just for this is a bit ridiculous since this is supposed to be a "primer" in a way. the staying power was decent but didn't last more than 4-5 hours.

one thing this is fabulous for is my waterline. WARNING i am not sure if this is waterline safe but my eyes are not that sensitive so i would be careful. since this is a bit drying it has pretty good stay power on my waterline. i was going to buy a nude eyeliner to make my eyes look more awake but this does the trick! this will probably only work if your skin tone is pretty similar to this shade.

overall... for me it was a bit difficult to blend and looked chalky but it was much smoother with primer and lasted a decent amount of time but wasn't amazing. BUT it also looked really good in the waterline to brighten your eyes. *tip! if you cried and your eyes are red, put in a couple drops of eye drop to whiten them and put some of this or a nude eyeliner in your water line and a little on the bottom lash line and your eyes should look much better*

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 1:00:00 AM More reviews by TakenByHim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have dry eyelids and if I don't moisturize my eye area well before applying, this looks very flaky on me so please make sure you moisturize if your eyelids are dry. A little goes a very long way and you get a ton of product in one pot. A pot should last you a very long time even with daily use..assuming it does not dry out on you. I've had mine for about 3 months now and it has not dried out. I like how it evens out my eye area sort of like a concealer but it does not "pop" colors. I was told that it's sticky and will help pop colors but I don't get that effect like everyone else seems to. One thing it's great for is lightening up colors that appear muddy on my NC40-42 skin though. For example...I can't wear some browns because they just clash with my tanned skin but with soft ochre, the colors just look prettier on me. I would not rebuy this..mainly because it does not pop colors the way Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay Primer Potion do.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2010 6:04:00 PM More reviews by yanchenqi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This works really well in my yellow based skin undertone (MAC C4). It is matte finish. it has a hint of green IMO. Very pretty. Highly recommend!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2010 3:30:00 AM More reviews by make_up_maven

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay so I'm late to the party on trying MAC PP's. I realize this is supposed to be an eyeshadow, however, it seems everyone is using it as an eyeshadow base. I have extremely oily lids and I've tried TFSI, UDPP, LG Spackle and Benefit SDS. Of the three Benefit works the best for me, but still by the end of the day I have creasing and oily lids, and I apply transparent powder to my lids twice a day and still the problem. Anyway, I decided to try this as a base, because of all the rave reviews. FAIL! As a shadow, this product is mediocre at best, it's hard to spread, hard to blend and dries too fast while applying. As a base it's a complete fail for me. By the end of 8 hours, the colored eyeshadow that I applied over it was COMPLETELY gone. No color left whatsoever. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen! Vanishing eyeshadow. When came home from work, it was like I had never applied eyeshadow that day. That never happens with the 4 eyeshadow bases I mentioned above. With those, my eyeshadow didn't look stellar by the end of the day, but at least the eyeshadow was still there and it was still colored! With this as a base, at the end of my 8 hour work day, my eyelids were completely flesh colored. It's going back. Wished it had worked out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2010 5:17:00 PM More reviews by Caligallola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

When I told the woman at the MAC counter that I needed an eye primer she handed me the paint pot in Soft Ochre. I frowned and thought why an eyeshadow I wanted an eye primer. I bought it anyway and I can't imagine barely discovering this. I love love love doing up my eyes, my skin gets oily throughout the day and by night my shadow looks bad. With this eyeshadow goes on nicely and when it is time to take it off at night it looks like I just applied it. No kidding. This is a must if you have oliy skin and need something to help keep your eyeshadow on. It's a generous amount and should last a long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2010 1:02:00 AM More reviews by woodwinkedgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Let me start by saying that this is an essential product in my kit. For medium to light skintones this will neutralize any discoloration in your eyelids, providing an even matte base for your shadows. As a base, paint pots are extremely effective. I believe that those who claim to experience creasing have simply applied too much. I recommend that you use your fingers to apply this on yourself, and a concealer brush to apply it to others. It's easy to sanitize as well, and basically... I can't say anything bad about this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2010 10:24:00 AM More reviews by syeung2

Product - Matte yellow-beige. Soft, smooth, creamy texture. A light layer will set quickly, so blend as you go. Definitely budgeproof, even on my oily-prone lids. I prefer applying with a wide, flat synthetic e/s brush with rounded head. Soft Ochre could also pass as a concealer shade for NC20 or so. Alone it doesn't do much for me, except even out my lid color (some days I need that) - it's very noticeable when I first dot it on (it's a shade or two too light against my AAB/NC25 skincolor) but it pretty much disappears when I blend it down and leaves a matte finish. But I bought this to use as a base, and particularly to prevent creasing of eyeshadows - and to that end it's spectacular. It really makes both my powder and creme e/s stay put and keeps the eyelid oilies at bay. I'll also note that it is non-drying to my aging lids.

Comparisons - I like using this so much more than a goopy eye primer - it's so easy to work with and the results are great. When I want a little more pizzazz in my eyeshadow base, I use MAC Paint Pot in Rubenesque instead, which adds some shimmer and warmer, golden peach tones.

Packaging - Round glass jar with domed black lid, like Fluidlines jars but wider.

Overall - This is the HG creme eyeshadow base for my oily lids. I don't need to look for an eye primer now! :)

UPDATE: two years of regular use and it's drying out and harder to work with; just got NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone and it's my new HG base - it's a much better match for me (AAB/NC25). continued >>