April 19, 2014 | 877 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Soft Ochre

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2010 10:09:00 AM More reviews by jessmarie09

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this paint pot almost daily. I have oily lids and I use it as a primer. I like it very much. It takes about 6 hours before my lids begin to crease and even then...not too bad. It can look a bit ashy if applied too thick. It is more cold neutral beigy whereas painterly is pinkish warm neutral beigy. I don't own painterly because I thought this color matched my skin tone better and I like it. I would recommend.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/8/2010 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Gogogo

This is a fail for me! I chose Soft Ochre because it nearly matches my extremely yellow-olive skin, despite being a little light. I got it after going through my first bottle of TFSI because I thought it might help intensify my shadows while acting as a primer (like UDPP with better packaging). I have been using this for a couple of months without denting the pot but I am unimpressed with the results!

:( My shadows rarely look intense- I like to layer matte shadows over shimmery ones for a satiny effect but with this all of my eyeshadows will fade within 6 hrs regardless of what I do. Today I used some of my leftover TFSI and was amazed with the results in comparison to Soft Ochre, which is a bad sign D: I had been hoping for a brilliant primer but this works LITERALLY the same as concealer under shadows, maybe worse because it fades by the end of the day! Due to its extremely matte nude tone I don't think I'll wear it alone as an eyeshadow...poo for MAC :( not too impressive but it's functional.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/1/2010 1:38:00 AM More reviews by jdianne86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really really really hate being in the minority about the review of this "HG" product, but I've had it for a couple of days now and have tried it twice.

So here's the pro's...
+ Good color for my skin.. I'm half-Asian and have some yellow undertones, so this matched my lids almost perfectly
+ Goes on creamy and dries really fast, but blends effortlessly
+ There's a lot of product in the little glass jar so you should be set for a long time
+ This sounds kinda weird, but the only purpose I find this for other than an eye primer is a CONCEALER! It works wonders as a concealer and covers up my scars beautifully

Now to the cons...
- A little expensive for my normal budget at $16.50. I bought mine at Dillard's with a leftover gift card I received, but still.. that's pretty damn expensive!
- Glass jar may not be convenient for some.. if you're afraid of contaminating and/or breaking the jar.. it's also a little heavy
- The main con of these all is why I rated this product with 3 lippies: I bought it after reading all these rave reviews and watching YouTube guru's using this particular shade as an eye primer. I liked the idea of having a "bare canvas" when applying my eyeshadows; they made this look amazing and claimed it made their colors POP. So, I was at the mall the next day and decided to try this out and having no thoughts about this product as a failure for me since well.. it's MAC lol, and all of their other products I have tried seem to be decent to amazing (Blacktrack Fluidline is my HG eyeliner and I am willing to pay the $15 for this!). Anyway, I tried it on the next day and I noticed how it was creamy and seemed to cover any imperfections on my eyelid. BTW, I used my finger for application. I'm not one of those damn germ freaks. :P So far, so good.. a little cakey at first, but I smoothed it out. The first thing I noticed when applying my eyeshadow was that it didn't seem to make the color POP as it was claimed to do. It gave it sort of a toned-down, neutral appearance. I wear a lot of bright colors, so this didn't seem to good. Oh well, I thought.. maybe I should apply more next time. I went in to work and was only there for about 2 hours and decided to check up my makeup in the mirror. To my disbelief, my eyeshadow had already creased! I wasn't even working that hard. I could not believe my shadow had creased that quickly! I was majorly pissed by that time. I read somewhere that you're not supposed to put too much or that will happen. Now, don't get me wrong.. I have extremely oily lids and remember.. I'm half-Asian so I had a somewhat double-lid going on. Poo. But I cannot use that as an excuse. I normally wear Mary Kay Eye Primer and it retails for $14, but I get mine on Ebay for no more than $7 shipped. Although my eyeshadow does crease.. I can go for about 10+ hours and be safe with the MK primer. I had high hopes that MAC wouldn't let me down, but 2 hours? That's complete BS! So I tried Soft Ochre again today.. didn't put a lot, and I used some of my powder to "set" it. Applied my pretty bold eyeshadows, which soft ochre still made look duller than with my MK primer. :\ I took a nap, all was still well.. but again, I wasn't moving or anything, so it looked good. I went to the grocery store, looked in my mirror -- CREASE GALORE! I am so mad right now b/c I really wanted this to work for me. I have no doubt that people with normal lids would have this problem, but this product did not serve it's purpose for me.

So.. why a 3? And why am I stupid and haven't returned it? I saw someone say they tried this as a concealer and I thought what the hell.. let's try it. I put it over a scar on my cheek and this matched my skin tone perfectly.. and the scar was no longer noticeable! Amazing! At least I'll get some use out of this, but once I use it up [if ever...], I won't repurchase. If I was rich and ballin', I might would consider repurchasing for use as an amazing concealer, but I'm sure I can find something cheaper that works almost as well. Too bad this didn't work as intended for me.. oh well.

I still love my other MAC products though! :D

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by missjennx3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

Paint Pots from MAC are commonly used as a base for eyeshadows. Also, there are lots of shades of Paint Pots but Soft Ochre is one of the most used shade as a neutral color. I think this product is excellent for girls/guys who has a yellow undertone of their skin color. Although I have a pale skin, I really enjoy using this color on my lid as a colored primer. Also, if you happen to have a pale skin like mine, Painterly Paint Pot is a great choice to choose than Soft Ochre. Thus, I am impressed with this particular color and hope to purchase this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by katelynwilliams2002

This was my best buy from my last trip to MAC. It matches my skin tone almost perfectly and just really evens out the skin tone on my eyelids. I want to collect all of the paint pots. Before I was on the fence about paint pots and liked my primer potions with shadow. But ya I am really happy that I got this. :) Everyone should have one. I havent tried painterly yet but I heard the consistency is different.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2010 5:06:00 PM More reviews by zomgblah

This is my first paint pot and I'm on the fence about it. I swatched some shadows over Soft Ochre and TFSI to compare the effects each have as a base, and TFSI wins hands down. Like another user mentioned, shadows seem to pop more over TFSI than over Soft Ochre and I think it's because Soft Ochre lightens and mattifies the lid. Overall, I will continue to use this until I finish it and Back 2 MAC it, but I will probably try different paint pots next time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2010 7:18:00 PM More reviews by 3110hello

MAC paint pots were my top find of 2009! My eyelids NEVER reflected the true colors of eyeshadows because they needed color correction. Additionally, eyeshadow did not stay on them like they should since it had nothing to hold on to. I used concealer on my eyelids which did help but cannot hold a candle to paint pots. Almost every regular day of work I use either painterly or soft ochre paint pot on my eyelids. I started out with painterly but then went for the soft ochre and it just may be my favorite. I own all of the regular line paint pots and just love them but soft ochre is my staple. Apply it with some moderation - and put it on a few minutes before your shadow so that it can set a little. In my opinion it, along with regular concealer and some lip color, paint pots are the MU items most likely to wake your face up! I only wish I had found them earler!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2010 11:56:00 AM More reviews by mylychee

If you want to even your eyelid's color or need an eyeshadow base, soft ochre will not disappoint. First, a great color and gives a nice beige tone - no yellow or peach which makes you look sallow. And it stays put and gives a smooth canvas for eyeshadows making the eyeshadows last and stays put. Will buy again. I have this in Painterly as well and Paint Pots are awesome.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2010 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Markuslee16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this product because it works really well-except i have to conceal my lids and powder them because i have pretty oily lids and without doing that it would do nothing but it works SUPER good after that. It can make my skin look really dry and yellow but i mean after i have shadow on, it looks fine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2010 1:03:00 PM More reviews by Iliriana

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product is so ingenious! It blends beautifully, but dries to a soft/slightly tacky finish so my shadow stays on allll day! Also, the fact that it is skin toned (which my UDPP is obviously NOT) makes the darkness of my lids not show through, and my shadow look clean/true! Its a little lighter than my skin color (i'm C4 in MAC) but that doesn't bother me as my lids are covered with shadow anyway. All in all, MAC gets an A+ on this product!