Biotin (All brands)

3.5

on 2/26/2012 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I have been on and off biotin since 2003 and it has worked wonders for my sister and me. As a kid I had the thickest hair in the world while my sister had the finest hair in the world... so quite naturally I complained about my thick hair- when it started shedding and stop growing out I tried Biotin at 2500mcg. I have always taken pre-natal vitamins (never been pregnant- go figure) in hopes of all the natural glowness of a pregnant woman with bouncing and behaving hair so I coupled this with the Bioton 2500... the results were dramatically beautiful... after my hair became beautiful again I got cocky and stopped taking them - I started experimenting with different styles again - so I would go on "operation-grow-hair-back" & "operation-healthy-hair" and started upping the anty on my new found hair miracle - so I went to biotin 5000. Now all along my skin was just producing more & more oil with breakouts but since this was growing my hair back I didn't "care". Well I did care but... so then I tried GNC 5000 & was taking 2/day (10,000mcg) - skin was looking like chicken grease but I was still taking them like candy! Result - beautiful hair, nails and wet-oily looking face - my water intake was as much as a human can hold in a day but still over-the-top oily skin. Then the breakouts became unbearable so I stopped again - a yr or so later I tried Nature Valley Biotin 5K (2/day) & within a wk my skin was destroyed... gave them away. Then I tried Sundown (7500mcg) ($10.99) was taking 2/day and within 4 wks I had hoofs for nails and my hair looked as if I had extensions in it... dramatic results with tolerable oily skin. I finished that bottle & decided to go a cheap route w/ Natrol Biotin 10,000mcg ($6) - so if this bottle destroys my skin by week 2; I will go back to the Sundown 7500 with the tolerable upset skin... so in a nutshell Biotin works if you drink enough water to help with the extra oil it WILL produce oh yeah it induces ALL hair follicles so if you are naturally hairy - Buyer Beware!

on 2/16/2012 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

My mom bought me this after a little downfall in my health and WOW. I always had thick hair and nails but this stuff not only made it grow faster, but healthier. My hair is shiny, thick and grows so fast I love it! My nails are even thicker and healthier. And I swear my skin feels softer and dare i say more vibrant. I use Nature's Bounty Biotin, take 3 pills before bed and although they're pretty big, like horse pills, its soooo worth the outcome. I only took it for a few weeks before I noticed an obvious difference. I hope it works for others as much as it's worked for me!

i got the spring valley brand of biotin. trying to grow out my short hair its at my shoulders right now i hav never had long hair !!! its the 1,000 mg (im not sure)
i just started using 2 weeks ago :) i havent seen a dramatic difference actually almost nuthing aat all but i will keep using till the bottle is finished . i will update when done . i take twice a day .if doesnt work i will try out caster oil .

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I recently purchased Spring Valley biotin. My coworker had really thining hair. She told me that she was taking omega-3 and biotin 1000mcg a day. I have noticed the difference in her hair. I went to buy some. I just started takinging. today is the 3rd or 4th day. I will repost with later this month. I have oily acne-prone skin. From reading the reviews... lets pray that this works.lol. I have pretty dry hair that has been breaking for the last few months. The majority of my hair is unrelaxed and I am currently wearing it in a natural style (afro). My hair is currently about 3 inches from my shoulders ( Unrelaxed). Will try for a month and update you. My nails are pretty fast growing. A bit soft but still grows fast and has white tips. :-)
I have thick eyebrows. Lets see how this ends up. lol.

But I will keep you posted.

Started off with 5 because I just started using it.

*********Update*****************
I started using this vitamine and quickly stopped. It didn't work very well with my skin. I used it for about a month and I got really big pimples on my chine and jaw line. I will take one every now and again but I will not take this brand of Biotin again everyday as directed. I take a one-a-day womens vit. that has biotin in it so I think that will be enough for now. :-)

on 1/29/2012 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

My goals were stronger nails (mine peel and break a lot) and faster hair growth. I was on biotin for a total of 6 months.
I started off on a very low dose of this, taking three tablets a day for 3 months. I didn't notice any difference at all, apart from a horrible acne break out that lasted about a week (when I first started taking them). I endured the acne, got over it and continued with the biotin. Still nothing. I then started taking a much higher dose of biotin and had to put up with another breakout from the increased dose, which I think it was 7.5mg. I took these ones for about another 3 months. Still nothing worth writing home about. I didn't see any difference in my hair growth at all. There was a *slight* difference in my nails. Less peeling and they were stronger but I don't think it was worth it. Honestly, I don't see why I even bothered. Nothing amazing happened at all but I'm happy that it works for some people. I've been on a very healthy diet since October (I was very unhealthy during my biotin taking months) and I'm going to see if my new diet does anything for my hair, skin and nails. Good luck everyone :).

on 1/19/2012 8:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have gone through 1 bottle (100 tablets) of Biotin 1000mcg. I have not noticed a change in hair growth or nail strength. I also did not break out. I had been taking 2 tablets a day.

on 1/16/2012 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

So I bought biotin when I had heard some mediocre reviews and decided to try it for myself. I am African-American and I have coarse hair that takes a long time to grow. While my hair were in braids, I decided to take it (which was about 2-3 months) because I was not using heat, or washing constantly, or any other damaging thing to my hair. My hair definitely grew about 2-3 inches (I don't know exactly), but I really am pleased with it. If you're black and you're taking it, try going about 2 months without relaxing your hair, and keep in braids with extensions or without (I used extensions). I just had regular single braids, and put oil to my scalp about once a week and did a deep conditioning oil treatment once every two weeks before I went to bed. The actual texture of my hair did not change and neither did my quality (softness, thickness, etc.). The only bad thing that I did notice about biotin is that my skin was more oily, especially around my nose. I just used a DIY nose peel and that helped.

All in all, the growth was great, but it wasn't like 10 inches in a week, so as long as you use it every day, and take care of the scalp, it should work pretty well for you. I hope this was helpful!

on 1/16/2012 6:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I took 1000mcg for two months. I'm really disappointed because nothing happened. I have long straight thick hair, and my aim is waist length, - it didn't grow faster. I have average (not particular weak but not exactly strong either) nails, and they didn't change either. I think I'll try a skin, hair and nails supplement next time.

Biotin (5000 mcg Spring Valley from Walmart about $6 - I've tried others online but I like this brand) gives me about an inch of hair growth per month. (I'm currently on my third month.) I noticed it taking effect after I took it for six weeks. I take 3 of these - 15,000 mcg per day (converts to 15 mg) but i think 10 mg is probably sufficient enough. I take these every night before bedtime and strangely, being on that routine helps me fall asleep quicker. My nails are obviously longer and my hair has grown MUCH quicker which was my goal. I'm pleased with my inch every month. I haven't noticed my body hair growing longer or thicker than average, maybe somewhat quicker but it hasn't been significant enough to bother me. No hairgrowth in unusual places. No facial hair. Clear skin. No bad side effects whatsoever. I would recommend this to anyone. :)

on 11/9/2011 1:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

UPDATE(01/22/14): Hello all, it has been a while since I last updated my review on Biotin. I have religiously been taking it since I started about 2 1/2 years ago. My nails grow rock solid and so fast, I constantly have to cut them down. My hair is ok I haven't reached my goal length yet but I am sure it is because my ends are so beyond dead and I refuse to cut it lol. I continue to take Spring Valley Biotin but now I take the 10,000mcg tablets with 100mg of Keratin. My skin is better than EVERRRR and I know it is the Biotin because if for whatever reason I happen to miss a day or two BOOM my skin doesn't feel the same. It is great, try it and I hope it works just as good for everyone else! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: I have now been taking Biotin (Spring Valley Brand 5,000mcg) for 3months now and it has drastically improved the condition of my nails. Within the first month they were rock solid and longer than ever. I keep them short now since they grow so quickly. My hair has definitely within the last month or so. At first I did not think my hair would grow, but at least it got my nails growing but now I am convinced it is helping my hair, I am only several inches away from my hair reaching my waist. I am so excited for it to keep growing! (: and as for my skin, no breakouts its actually better than ever. I will update once my hair has reached my waist. The condition of my hair also feels better. Good luck to the rest of you ladies!

Hello Ladies,

I have been reading several reviews on here about Biotin. I just purchased a bottle of 5,000mcg yesterday, so today will be day 2 of my Biotin intake.. A little about me now: I have pretty nice hair, its straight, average thickness, it is about half way down my back which is not short but I feel like it has been stuck at this length forever now! I am desperate for it to grow, I have for the majority of my life had hair down to my waist and miss that length. I do use the blow dryer and flat iron, not as much anymore but hopefully Biotin will help. I also would love for my nails to grow, they get a little long and then they get caught on something and I am back at square one. The only thing I am scared of is the possibility of breaking out, I have a little break out every month when my period comes but nothing extreme so hopefully this won't affect me in that department. I will update in about 2wks and share my experience. Thanks for reading!

Popular Treatments