July 31, 2014 | 1729 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i've heard that most people's bodies already produce more than enough biotin each day, but for me there is no doubt that a supplement works well.

1st off, a lot of ppl say that it breaks them out. let me address this by saying that the human body is a very sensitive thing-- a lot of times a slight change in diet can make a person break out untill their body adjusts. this seems to be the case with Biotin. my skin is VERY acne-prone, and when i started taking biotin i found that i did indeed get breakouts, but at the 2 week mark they were going away. so if you take this and breakout, keep taking it and give your body time to adjust, b/c the benefits are awesome!

i take 7,500mcg a day (equal to 7.5mg). i think its important to note that theres no toxicity level-- you can take as much as you want and it wont hurt you any. :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin)

as far as results, i've been taking it for almost a year, and have noticed an EXTREME difference in my nails. i used to have slow-growing brittle nails. if i didnt ALWAYS have nail polish on theyd immediately break and take forever to grow back. now i find that i can wear nothing on them at all and they dont break and grow REALLY fast. so fast, in fact, that i have to clip them quite often, which is how i know they grow quicker now. i clip them really short, and a week later they're back to being fairly long.

as far as hair growth goes, hair grows slower than nails by a lot. and my hair has always grown kind of fast, but i do think i see a difference. not in hair thickness (at least, i dont THINK so), but in hair lenngth.the way i look at it, is that hair and nails are made of the same stuff, so if my nails are growin fast, my hair must be too :)

lastly, i think a bottle of 100 or so was $6-ish, so not too bad at all, considering i only take 1 per day.

UPDATE 11/5/11:
so, i took this for a little ver a year, like a year and a few months or so. for a while my skin was ok, but maybe about 6 months ago or so my skin started breaking out worse, despite me making no changes at all. as i know biotin can be very acnegenic for some people, i'm taking a break. i stopped taking it about a week ago, so we'll see how it goes, if my skin improves at all. i started taking silica (horsetail) about a month ago, so i'm hoping that will be enough to keep my nails and hair growing. i took off 2 lippies b/c i think it IS the biotin that's making my skin crazy :( and in the end, even after a year of not missing a SINGLE day's supplement, i'm not so sure it was having much of an impact on my hair. i could for sure see a difference in my nails, but my hair..? MAYBE.

i'll update again after a couple months or so, to say if my skin's any better as a result of no longer taking biotin.

UPDATE 02/20/12:
i havent used this in maybe 3 months now, as i switched to silica/ horsetail. out of nowwhere i started getting a bunch of cyctic breakouts. i'd been taking this for a LONG time with no problems, but when i stopped, the breakouts went away! the silica gives me stronger nails, although not quite as strong as with the biotin. no skn issues though! :) my theory is that too much of it had built up in my system and my body was just finding a way to get out the excess.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2011 12:02:00 PM More reviews by edrinabby

I brought two bottles for $45. It was okay. I brought this for my nails because my hair is already long and healthy but my nails not so much.I think this also made me break out but I'm not so sure. The only side effect was this made me have to go to the restroom at least twent times a day. I swear on all I love. I know that with this product the excess is removed from the body through urine so I'm guessing I already had enough in my system that the rest was removed from my body. Overall did not see a difference.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/24/2011 7:23:00 PM More reviews by silverlilly

Oh my goodness. This broke me out, I think. I started taking it - only 1000mg/day - and into the second week I got 3 cystic, painful lumps on my chin/jaw area. I do usually get one small one with pms, and it was that time - but one was 3 times the size and really painful!!! Never amounted to much, but left a scar. All three did. I Also got two others at back of my head above my hairline!! Really sore - this *never happens to me*. This is the only thing I changed...I'd like to try taking it again because of it's benefits, but this sucked, and I'm a bit afraid!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 2:22:00 PM More reviews by brittbrat118820

So I have been taking biotin for about 4 months now and I've seen some great improvements in my hair and my nails. My hair has grown about 3-4 inches in 3 months, which is a lot for me. Usually it maybe grows 1/2 inch a month. It's not thicker or anything it just grows faster. The downside to this is hair everywhere grows quicker so I have to shave more often. My nails are also very brittle and they have gotten a lot stronger. They break a lot less and don't have as many ridges in them. I've been taking the 1000mcg about 2-3 times a day after a meal. I also have acne prone skin and have never had a problem. I don't think you need high doses of this stuff to see results. I think most of the people who get acne from this are probably taking too much. Your body only absorbs so much of it at a time anyways and the rest is released through your urine. I recommend trying this out for anyone looking to grow their hair faster and make their nails stronger.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/12/2011 1:44:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I jumped into this with both feet. I began taking 10000 mcg NOW brand Biotin daily, religiously, 30 days ago. To my utter delight, my hair has literally grown just over a full inch in 30 days! My hair is lustrous and full of body.

My weak sparse eye brows have almost entirely filled in! This is exciting because they are normally very brittle and I have had to fill them in with pencil for years. I don't know if it has made a difference in my lashes. I haven't worn mascara for over a month. My lashes are naturally stick straight, sparse, fine and very pale. They look like they may not have changed.

My nails have improved dramatically. my nails are normally soft, peel easily, and full of ridges. The ridges are entirely gone on my left hand, and 50% less on my right hand, and they no longer peel!

Thankfully, no acne breakouts.

UPDATE: 2 months on Biotin and taking 10000mcg daily religiously. My hair has grown at least 2 inches in 2 months. My hair has stopped shedding. The loose barely there natural wave in my hair seems to be wavier. My nails are smooth. They are still soft, but flexible instead of brittle. My sparse eyebrows are filling in. My lashes appear less sparse but are still short and pale. Can't complain about some improvement though. :0) No side effects. No acne. Will continue taking it since I'm benefiting from it.

UPDATE: 3 months on Biotin 10000 mcg/daily, religiously. My hair is growing at a rate of 1 inch per month. Shedding very little. My eyebrows have filled in. Fingernails are strong and flexible with significantly less ridges. Eyelashes less sparse, little longer (50%?)they remain pale. I'm just happy they're less sparse. No side effects. No acne. This is a keeper!

UPDATE: 5 months on Biotin 10000mcg/daily. My hair looks great. It's growing twice as fast as the normal rate making it challenging to adjust to for styling, lol. Minimal shedding which had always been a major problem prior to starting biotin. No side effects. Too happy!

UPDATE - May 14, 2012: After growing my hair out for a year it was shoulder length and very thick. In a moment of insanity, I had it chopped off to a pixie. It was the first time in my life I had shoulder length hair. It grew so quickly. I couldn't manage it! I must confess the pixie was liberating. I'm still taking biotin because I want to grow a short inverted bob. My hair is still growing one inch per month and still no side effects. That's my picture of my nails. They used to be thin, brittle, very ridged and peeled like all get out. That pic is of two weeks growth.

UPDATE: Jan 22, 2014: I'm still taking biotin 10000mcg/daily. I've been growing my hair from a pixie March 2013. My hair is already a below jaw-length bob. Looks & feels healthy and shiny even after multiple trims, bleach and semi dye. The only drawback is, when hair grows this fast, I need to adapt quickly!

43 out of 44 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2011 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

been using this for like 3 or 4 months now and I have seen results in my nails, which is why i started taking it. I was taking 2,500 mcg but am now taking 5,000mcg. i am not acne prone and have not seen any pimples. I would def buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2011 9:13:00 AM More reviews by BellamyBlue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My aim: I'm trying to grow back "proper" hair where I have weakened, flyaway sections at the sides, left over from moderate hair loss due to depression 3-4 years ago. My hair overall is fine in texture but I have a good amount of it.

I recently took 1000mcg daily for about 3 months, had a break of a couple of months, and have just started taking the same dose again. I believe it sped up my hair growth quite a bit, and it definitely helped me to grow out my brows. It's inexpensive, widely available and effective; there were no side effects for me and I did not break out. In fact, my skin looks very good when I take biotin. (However, I'm not acne prone.)

Be warned - if this works for your hair and nails, it will work for *all* your hair. I am blonde with fine hair, so not exactly a "slave to the shave" by any means and a slight increase does not bother me. If you already feel you have to depilate constantly, you might not appreciate any extra body hairy-ness so bear that side effect in mind before trying biotin.

That said, the most dramatic difference it made was in the condition of my nails. They were strengthened and faster growing within a couple of weeks. I cut my nails down every week, and by the following weekend, they're long again. It's actually somewhat annoying to have nails that grow this fast, but I love the resilience of them.

While biotin has given me good results, it isn't a miracle worker, and if you are suffering hair loss for hormonal reasons or because of severe stress, I don't believe it would do much to counter that. I will continue to take it because it's cheap and simple - but only in conjunction with a healthy balanced lifestyle & diet.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2010 6:23:00 PM More reviews by finch96

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am one of the unfortunate souls who had a horrible outbreak of pimples from biotin. I chose to take biotin to help my peely, flimsy, slow growing nails grow out more. Unfortunately, I didn't do my homework here first, or else I would have perhaps chosen a different brand or even skipped taking biotin all together. I used the Spring Valley brand (available at Wal Mart) in the 5000 mcg dose.

My previously dry, sensitive skin that had only occasional outbreaks of one or two zits a month turned into an oily, pimply, white head riddled landscape. I even got zits on my scalp. It was horrible. I had never suffered such horrible breakouts, even as a teenager (I'm 37).

Did my nails grow? You bet. Biotin certainly works and lives up to it's reputation in that area. If you choose to take biotin, I would say buyer beware, and read all the reviews here first. Do your research, see what brands aren't breaking people out and which ones are. Biotin definitely works and will make your nails and hair grow, however it can have unwanted side effects. Use with caution.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 10:39:00 AM More reviews by xoxMissFabulousxox

So unfortuantely my hair for the past 5 years has been one of those "never grows past a certain length" cases. I was so frustrated because I avoided ever cutting my hair, but due to colouring and styling, the ends constantly broke off so it appeared to never grow.

I did my research and found Biotin. I've been using it for just over a month now (about 2000-4000mcgs a day), and I am ELATED with the results. My hair has definitely grown, but the BIGGEST improvement I've noticed is the overall health of it. My hair is so much thicker and shinier than it was, and I've gotten so many compliments about it. My nails are also noticably stronger, and I have not had any skin problems. (Although I am not acne prone to begin with.)

As an esthetician, I would recommend this product in a heartbeat to clients that do not have sensitive or acne-prone skin. It is a miracle pill for sure. =) And how great is it that's it's a natual vitamin so we aren't polluting our bodies with artificial junk!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2010 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Saphire19

My mom took Biotin when her hair began to thin after menopause. It really helped her hair grow back and made it very shiny. Her nails also started growing like crazy! It's a great product.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No