August 27, 2014 | 1605 users online

Treatments - Biotin (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2011 1:33:00 PM More reviews by blondie22

I have bought 1000mcg biotin pills, and have been taking them for about a couple weeks now, almost every day. My hair usually grows at a snail pase, but since I started using biotin, I feel that it has made a big difference and that my hair has already grown visibly. However, I have also noticed tiny bumbs around my chin and jaw area, where I rearely get breaks out. I am hoping that this will stop when my body adjusts to the pill, but I'm also worried about the breakouts getting worse and not going away soon.
I will continue using for another week or two and will update with results.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2011 8:22:00 AM More reviews by orangeorn

It helped me when I was loosing hair due to unknown reasons. But It made my body hair thicker too LOL

rated 1 of 5 on 6/30/2011 1:49:00 PM More reviews by anisabby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was taking the 1000mcg & I've heard you should be taking 5000. Well just the 1000mcg broke me out with under the surface acne that hurts to touch, within the next day. Literally. I'm sad because i was excited to have long thick nails & same for my hair. Anyone should try it & see if it works for them. I got a bottle for $3 at walmart.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2011 12:50:00 AM More reviews by jnetteN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I started using after I read it would promote hair growth. And boy oh boy did it work and still working. In the past 4 weeks my hair has grown at least an inch. I am amazed because I have very fine thin limp hair that I've used foil hilights for many years. I put a lot of effort into keeping it as healthy so it's not friend but it just would grow. My hair was sitting on my shoulders now it's a good inch blow.

The downfall, it did break me out bad for the first few weeks. But since than my face has cleared. Im thinking my body just had to adjust to the dose. I take 5000 mgs a day, 3 at night and 2 in the morning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 12:24:00 AM More reviews by LilacShine9

My favorite Biotin vitamin is the "Natrol" brand from Walmart. It's chewable and totally great. It made my nails grow stronger & faster and my hair some as well. The price of $6 for 90 count, 1,000 mg is an affordable price.

Details: Natrol Biotin Supplement, 90-count, is designed to promote healthy hair and nails, as well as energy production. The 100 percent vegetarian Biotin vitamins for hair contain no yeast, milk, egg, soy, gluten, artificial colors or added preservatives. The high-potency formula in Biotin 1,000mcg supplement delivers unique rapid-dissolve technology to promote fast absorption.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/6/2011 6:48:00 PM More reviews by deenie2007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I started using biotin 90 days ago, I know because I took the last pill frOm a bottle of 90. Anywho, I have thinning hair and this did not help in any way. In fact my beautiful, strong nails became paper thin. I was willing to deal with the nails if it helped my hair! I wouldn't bother.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 2:19:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

Biotin did great things for my hair, I used it for two weeks, and almost immediately I could see the difference in my hair. It looks healthier and thicker. After two weeks of taking one capsule daily, I started having really bad acne. My skin was really clear before I started using this product, so I am discontinuing my use of it. It's a great product if you don't end up with huge pimples all over your face.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by LaceyH

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

i've heard that most people's bodies already produce more than enough biotin each day, but for me there is no doubt that a supplement works well.

1st off, a lot of ppl say that it breaks them out. let me address this by saying that the human body is a very sensitive thing-- a lot of times a slight change in diet can make a person break out untill their body adjusts. this seems to be the case with Biotin. my skin is VERY acne-prone, and when i started taking biotin i found that i did indeed get breakouts, but at the 2 week mark they were going away. so if you take this and breakout, keep taking it and give your body time to adjust, b/c the benefits are awesome!

i take 7,500mcg a day (equal to 7.5mg). i think its important to note that theres no toxicity level-- you can take as much as you want and it wont hurt you any. :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin)

as far as results, i've been taking it for almost a year, and have noticed an EXTREME difference in my nails. i used to have slow-growing brittle nails. if i didnt ALWAYS have nail polish on theyd immediately break and take forever to grow back. now i find that i can wear nothing on them at all and they dont break and grow REALLY fast. so fast, in fact, that i have to clip them quite often, which is how i know they grow quicker now. i clip them really short, and a week later they're back to being fairly long.

as far as hair growth goes, hair grows slower than nails by a lot. and my hair has always grown kind of fast, but i do think i see a difference. not in hair thickness (at least, i dont THINK so), but in hair lenngth.the way i look at it, is that hair and nails are made of the same stuff, so if my nails are growin fast, my hair must be too :)

lastly, i think a bottle of 100 or so was $6-ish, so not too bad at all, considering i only take 1 per day.

UPDATE 11/5/11:
so, i took this for a little ver a year, like a year and a few months or so. for a while my skin was ok, but maybe about 6 months ago or so my skin started breaking out worse, despite me making no changes at all. as i know biotin can be very acnegenic for some people, i'm taking a break. i stopped taking it about a week ago, so we'll see how it goes, if my skin improves at all. i started taking silica (horsetail) about a month ago, so i'm hoping that will be enough to keep my nails and hair growing. i took off 2 lippies b/c i think it IS the biotin that's making my skin crazy :( and in the end, even after a year of not missing a SINGLE day's supplement, i'm not so sure it was having much of an impact on my hair. i could for sure see a difference in my nails, but my hair..? MAYBE.

i'll update again after a couple months or so, to say if my skin's any better as a result of no longer taking biotin.

UPDATE 02/20/12:
i havent used this in maybe 3 months now, as i switched to silica/ horsetail. out of nowwhere i started getting a bunch of cyctic breakouts. i'd been taking this for a LONG time with no problems, but when i stopped, the breakouts went away! the silica gives me stronger nails, although not quite as strong as with the biotin. no skn issues though! :) my theory is that too much of it had built up in my system and my body was just finding a way to get out the excess.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2011 12:02:00 PM More reviews by edrinabby

I brought two bottles for $45. It was okay. I brought this for my nails because my hair is already long and healthy but my nails not so much.I think this also made me break out but I'm not so sure. The only side effect was this made me have to go to the restroom at least twent times a day. I swear on all I love. I know that with this product the excess is removed from the body through urine so I'm guessing I already had enough in my system that the rest was removed from my body. Overall did not see a difference.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/24/2011 7:23:00 PM More reviews by silverlilly

Oh my goodness. This broke me out, I think. I started taking it - only 1000mg/day - and into the second week I got 3 cystic, painful lumps on my chin/jaw area. I do usually get one small one with pms, and it was that time - but one was 3 times the size and really painful!!! Never amounted to much, but left a scar. All three did. I Also got two others at back of my head above my hairline!! Really sore - this *never happens to me*. This is the only thing I changed...I'd like to try taking it again because of it's benefits, but this sucked, and I'm a bit afraid!