L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

The only shades that will lighten my Asian black hair to my satisfaction are from the True Brunettes line. At first I used the golden light brown, which came out a tad too red in the daylight. I switched to the natural light brown and am completely happy with the results..It's light enough and brown enough without any unnatural red or yellow cast. As with any high-lift product it's somewhat harsh on my sensitive scalp, and I endeavor to shampoo only a few times a week to maintain the color consistency. The accompanying conditioner--which lasts for many weeks--is rich and nourishing. Overall, I recommend Superior Preference True Brunettes for my black-haired sisters who would like to morph into light brunettes. (Incidentally, people always assume my hair color is natural, and I don't know if that's because appear mixed and not pure Asian.)

A sad coda to this review... On the Environmental Working Group website, this brand and shade earns a "10" rating as one of the most potentially hazardous hair colors on the market. Eeek! In the future I'll be sticking to the professional lines available at Sally Beauty Supply. I am told these are on the whole safer healthwise and truer colorwise.

I'm a naturally dark ash blond, but after an excessive bleaching (Jerome Russell 40 strength), and a dose of SFX semi-perm highlights in Cupcake, I needed a serious intervention. I've used Preference before to correct disappointing coloring. I've self-colored at-home a lot, so I'm accustomed to differing degrees of chemical composition, but if you're sensitive to chemicals, you might want to at least crank open a window or door, and be sure and use adequate ventilation when mixing and applying this product. In addition, watch for squirting product (especially if you use the enclosed comb attachment). Anyway, today I used Lightest Ash Blond (9/B?). This color tends to turn four different shades of something else totally unexpected throughout the coloring process-but the key to this is to time it precisely, and wait until you've dried your hair before you start pitching hysterical fits at the result. For me, the result was exactly as pictured on the box swatch/indicator. My hair is well below my shoulders, and I used the whole bottle in one go (and might have done better with two boxes). I ended up with shimmering, glittery color that wasn't too drying. 12 hours on, the chemical smell still lingers, but I know from experience that this will dissipate after several co-washes and washes. I DO like the generosity of the enclosed conditioner, and it worked magic with my soy and chocolate, Healthy Sexy Hair Shampoo. A winner!. Cheap and foolproof for the experienced home colorist.

I should have learned my lesson long ago when it comes to L'Oreal hair color, as the Feria in Starry Night that I initially used was the pits. Ran, dripped, running down the sides of my face and continued to fade with every shampoo. Then I saw this Superior preference and thought well, hell for $10 it ought to be pretty good. Wrong! I used the black, and the crap literally ran down the sides of my face and down my back like black water! The smell was terrible! Chemicals! L'Oreal should have their haircolor product rights revoked as this is seriously bad stuff! Back to the Revlon in natural Blue Black for me. That said, Revlon may only be $4.99 per box, but they don't have to advertise. Their hair color is already clearly the best on the market. L'Oreal has ads on every magazine page becasue their haircolor clearly sucks.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I used "Dark Ash Brown" on my naturally ashy dark brown hair to even it up and cover up some pesky whites that have been peeping through- BIG MISTAKE. It somehow lightned my roots to a reddish brown and turned the rest super dark. I bought ash to get rid of any red tones, not make it red. Very frustrating!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I just used this product today, and so far, I'm very pleased with the results! As others have suggested, the color really does come very close to what is pictured on the box. I used 5 1/2 AM, Medium Copper Brown, and my hair is perhaps a bit more reddish (rather than coppery), but otherwise, it looks pretty much like the model's does. I didn't find the formula overly runny like some other reviewers mentioned (at least, no worse than other color products), and although the smell was fairly strong, it wasn't unbearable or even unexpected for a coloring product. Plus, the included conditioner had a nice scent, so my hair smells fine now; it also feels soft and looks natural.

Because some people mentioned issues with the product fading quickly, I left it on a little bit longer, about 30-35 minutes instead of the recommended 25. This did not hurt my hair at all, and the color application seems nice and even. (Sometimes my roots come out too light, but I tried to avoid coloring them first--my hairstylist told me that the heat from your scalp makes the roots process more quickly.) I will try to report back if I do see color fading, but overall, I am very happy right now and would definitely buy this color again even though it is a bit more expensive than some of the others available (luckily, I got it on sale).

I've dyed my hair many times (usually with Garnier Fructis) and I've never had any problems with excessive hair loss. This morning I decided to try L'Oreal preference because it had the exact color I wanted. My hair felt so soft and silky in the shower, but after a couple minutes I noticed several large clumps of hair in the tub. Yeah, some hair falls out every time I take a shower, but this was way beyond what I normally experience. I'm too afraid to even run my hands through my hair now :(

Guess I won't be able to use any heat or styling products on my hair for a while...

THIS MAKES MY HAIR FALL OUT!!! I don't know what it is this particular formula has but I have tried it twice in my life and never again...both times it made WAY too much hair come out when being washed and I already have thinnish hair...I'd like to keep most of it. I have been dying my hair for years and even with other L'oreal brands and this is the only one I have had this issue with. Too harsh...no color is worth it.

Is this my favorite hairdye? No. That honor goes to Natural Instincts. However, since NI isn't permanent, I needed a perm color to deliver the color results I wanted (red). I used Superior Preference in light auburn, and the color on the box was bright red - borderline scary. However, knowing that my hair is med brown with caramel highlights, I knew very well it wouldnt lift my color to the one on the box. First, the stuff stinks, but it's hairdye - it's supposed to. Secondly, I followed the instructions perfectly and truthfully, I should have used two bottles (my hair is mid-back length). But I didnt, and prayed I covered everything. When I rinsed my hair and dried it, I was left with the prettiest medium auburn color with natural looking lighter copper highlights. Love the color, dont love how it made my hair feel. My ends are dry, brittle, and I feel as though I have to deep condition every day. Overall, a great color, so I'll repurch - along with an insanely potent deep conditioning treatment.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I use to use this all the time, but after a while my color didnt last no longer then about 2 weeks before fadeing...I think its because my hair hair has been dyed so many times is the reason tho. I would however use it again for a guick fix ....

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love Superior Preference! No other brand actually gives you the exact results as the color on the box. I colored my naturally dark brown hair medium brown last week with Preference, and although the color came out just like the box, I didn't like it much on me so I bought Preference in dark brown and colored it again last night. I know it's not healthy to color your hair twice in a week, but my hair actually looks healthier, shinier, and the color is beautiful! I already got several comments on it this morning. I will definitely stick with Preference as all other boxed colors I used do not give you the result you are looking for at all! Preference gives you salon color.

Video Reviews & Tutorials