December 17, 2014 | 1813 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2009 12:33:00 PM More reviews by NasimDaDream

I love Superior Preference! No other brand actually gives you the exact results as the color on the box. I colored my naturally dark brown hair medium brown last week with Preference, and although the color came out just like the box, I didn't like it much on me so I bought Preference in dark brown and colored it again last night. I know it's not healthy to color your hair twice in a week, but my hair actually looks healthier, shinier, and the color is beautiful! I already got several comments on it this morning. I will definitely stick with Preference as all other boxed colors I used do not give you the result you are looking for at all! Preference gives you salon color.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by gettbaby

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I used this in Dark Ash Brown 4A. The smell wasnt nearly as bad as I was expecting after reading some reviews, but it did make my eyes water. I am naturally a darkish ash brown but I was born blonde, so I have been trying to go brown again after dying/highlighting it blonde for so long.The dye was almost a blueish brown which I was happy about because I wanted to minuimize reddish tones in my hair since it is mostly blonde still underneath the dye (Ive been getting it done at a salon brown since August 08 & the salon dye faded to reddish ew).
UPDATE: I am in love with the color I got right after i used Superior Preference !! It is very dark and there was no red. I did it a week ago, and it has faded a little and some red is showing through, but I think thats because it was pretty reddish brown before. Im going to use it again, I hope next time it will get all the red out and I wont need to do it again! Im really hoping the color wont fade anymore because I love it, and I am a swimmer. It has dried my hair out a little, but its still feels basically the same.

If you have any tips/ experience with this dye feel free to share(:

rated 2 of 5 on 5/22/2009 7:33:00 PM More reviews by sardav

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product in 3 brasilia. I like the colour as it is a very dark espresso brown. However, I have a few greys tucked in there (less than 10) this colour does cover the greys but it doesnt last that long. I followed the instructions but the greys reappear again within a couple of weeks, I only wash my hair every second day. I am not sure that this product is long lasting and I think it fades quickly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2009 10:22:00 AM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I usually use Nice n' Easy and Dream Blonde. But my DB shade was DC'd at the stores in my area and I wanted to go a bit lighter and Nice n' Easy didn't have a cool tone I liked, so I picked this up in Lighest Beige Blonde. For reference my hair was a dyed medium blonde, a naturally dark blonde that also pulls red very easily. The cost is about ten dollars a box and I got two boxes as my hair is long (hits at my bra strap in the back). The scent is way stronger than other dyes I have used, but that's tolerable to me for good hair color. My color came out exactly as it should - a light beige blonde, not too ashy, not too golden. No red or orange whatsoever (I always use Unred with it as well though).My hair looks healthy and it didn't seem to damage it at all. The conditoner that comes with is lovely and smells like a bright floral - not unpleasant either, as I hate florals! i will definitely buy this one again. I dye my hair about every 4-6 weeks and the cost is great and the results are even better.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2009 1:26:00 PM More reviews by laughingdogs1

I purchased the hair color before I read the reviews here. I was sorta scared to use it but was desperate to get some hair color on. The product didn't smell as awful as some had stated. There were definitely fumes, enough so that my eyes were burning and I think I passed out for a second, LOL, but the actual scent was nice. Just make sure you put your bathroom vent on or open a window as the fumes can become quite over-powering. It wasn't as thick as I thought it would be. Make sure you have old towels down. I last colored with L'Oreal Natural Match. I have gone to a salon for years for my hair coloring but due to economic times tried doing it myself a couple of months ago. I did not care for the color of the Natural Match but liked the quality of my hair after coloring with it. I decided to stay within the L'Oreal product line and chose the Superior Preference in 4A-Dark Ash Brown. The color was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I am half Irish/half Japanese. This was very true to my natural color but just kicked up a notch. There was luminosity. There were multiple tones; not flat at all like the Natural Match. I love, love, love this hair color product. My hair is extremely soft as well. I can't stop running my hands thru my hair, LOL. Also, it did not have that "just dyed" look even immediately after coloring. It was just plain gorgeous color that complimented my own coloring. I'm very happy and would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a great at-home hair color product.
***update, 2 weeks later: Sorry to say this hair color has faded very quickly. A lot of my greys are showing and it has also gotten a little brassy (red cast) especially on the crown where I had more greys. The softness of my hair and the overall healthy look and feel are still there. I'm a little disappointed in how quickly it faded and the red cast that came along with it. Maybe I needed to leave it on longer than I did when applying it as some others have done.
***update 2nd use/2 months later: I colored with this exact same product 1 week ago and decided I really do LOVE this product and color. I followed the touch-up application instructions this time and let it stay on an extra 10 minutes. The color is EXACTLY dark ash brown over my super dark brown hair. It is super shiny and soft and is very healthy. Doesn't look like I colored my hair at all. I'm also using the new L'Oreal EverPure shampoo/conditioner. There is no red cast this time and all my stubborn greys are covered and there has been no significant fading. I wish I could lock-in this perfect color this very minute but alas, I know it will fade out over the next few weeks. I think everyone has different results depending on the product already on their hair and their own hair's porous-ness (sp). For now, this is my absolute go-to hair color.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2009 6:31:00 PM More reviews by JessiDayle

I had a horrible experience with this dye. After keeping my hair natural for 8 years, I decided to try red hair. I always loved my hair red, but usually went dark (like dark auburn or chocolate cherry). I decided to try Intense Copper Red (I believe that's the shade I used). I figured because my hair is medium brown naturally that this wouldn't be too bad. I put this on my head for the time recommended on the package and when I washed it off my roots were bright ORANGE and the rest of my hair was a dull, fake looking pinkish red. HORRIBLE. I cried. I then called Clairol's help line (not L'Oreal, I was kind of pissed at them at the time) and they gave me wonderful advice to fix my hair that worked. I can't say all L'Oreal preference colors are bad, but I do NOT recommend this shade unless it's Halloween and you're crazy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2009 10:19:00 AM More reviews by irishgrant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been using Preference for years and love it. I've had professional coloring, but my hair grows far too fast for my purse to tolerate bi-weekly trips to the salon. I tried Superior Preference and loved it. The Natural Blonde is perfect for me. Not too ashy, not too golden. I feel like Goldie Locks when she found the right bed...this one is just right! For me, the key has been to leave it on my roots (only) for at least 45 minutes. My natural hair is medium brown with 25% gray. When I wasn't leaving it on long enough, the color wasn't as natural looking, and it seemed to fade more after a week or two. Might be my imagination, but 50 minutes does the trick for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2009 9:15:00 PM More reviews by babydoll2209

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I used this in Hollywood (#9) and can easily say it's the best at-home hair colour I've tried. The colour is exactly as it is on the packet and looks really natural on my hair.

I'll be using this now to maintain my hair colour instead of expensive visits to the hairdresser every 6 weeks!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2009 2:59:00 PM More reviews by gnippy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have used this hair color in 5A for years. Prior to finding this product I tried numerous other brands and formulas and like this one the very best. It gives me a very natural color adding both high and low highs. It is long lasting without a lot of fading between applications. It is easy to apply & does not drip. Also covers grays really well. My hair is healthy and feels well conditioned after application. It is easy to mix and use. It is slightly more expensive than some of the colors on the market, but less than others & it surely is much less expensive than salon color. Honestly, I got my hair colored in salons for years & actually like the results with this product better. This is my HG hair color product and I will definitely continue to use it as needed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2009 2:37:00 PM More reviews by Kathy123

I used this for the first time last night and I was pretty pleased with the results. It costs as much as my favorite brand (Da Vinci Hair Color) but it was also gentler to my scalp. I use Trionics instead of Peroxide so I get the benefit of not damaging my hair every time I color my hair but some hair colors are still too intense for my scalp. No itching or irritation after using this. Highly recommend it to people with grays. I left it for 45 minutes and my grays were completely covered, even the stuborn sides. The natural black or number 3 was the shade that I used. Some hair color was left on my skin but was easily removed by soap.